Linux Installation Questions

Kemonomimi Discussion

Moderator: Staffers

Linux Installation Questions

Unread postby Chronowraith » February 10th, 2008, 2:22 am

Hey, wondering how this patch installs. I don't have windows and wine keeps crashing when I try to run the patch. I remembered the talk about the fixed fonts so that locales didn't matter, but when I run the patch I get to the screen asking where I want to install it and then when I hit next after picking a location it freezes and keeps polling my CPU around 60%. I have the DVD in the drive (i assume it is scanning for the game?) I have the drive listed in the winecfg. So, questions are these:

Do i need to have the game installed BEFORE I run the patch file, or does it handle installation? If it does require the game anyone know how to get SJIS working in wine for slackware? I know there is a FSN thread about it for a couple other distro's but none of them cover slackware (well technically I'm on zenwalk but it's slackbased) and yes I have tested those to see if any of the information applies and I could not get it working. And if it doesn't require the game to be pre-installed then does anyone have a work around or maybe have gotten it working on their install? I realize of course that Linux support may not have been high on the list, but help here would be greatly appreciated.
Chronowraith
Addict

Re: Installation Questions

Unread postby Message » February 10th, 2008, 10:21 am

Chronowraith wrote:when I run the patch I get to the screen asking where I want to install it and then when I hit next after picking a location it freezes and keeps polling my CPU around 60%.

If you're trying to install into an existing Japanese directory, the installer will go into patching mode and verify the existing installation. It's an md5 check, coudl take some time on a slow HDD. Can't think of any other reason for this behaviour...

Chronowraith wrote:Do i need to have the game installed BEFORE I run the patch file, or does it handle installation?

It handles almost anything you can throw at it. It has NewInstall, PatchDVD, PatchCD (still requires DVD), Upgrade and Reinstall/fix modes. It will autodetect the mode that should be used, most notably depending on what installation directory you specify. So if you install to a new directory, it will go into NewInstall mode.

Unread postby Chronowraith » February 10th, 2008, 6:13 pm

hmm.... well I'm running the patch without the game installed. I had a friend do it on his windows install so i could see where it is having issues. It won't load the screen to find the japanese DVD. I pick the install path and it makes to go to the next screen but the dialogue for the directory search never shows up.and the window won't refresh and keeps pulling ~60% cpu. Don't know if that will help you figure out what's causing it. I alos just tried upgrading the wine version (since a new one came out a few days ago) and it didn't solve the issue. Anyone gotten this to work? I don't want to have to get windows back on here to play it ;_;
Chronowraith
Addict

Unread postby Message » February 10th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Possible culprits might be:
Code: Select all
  ;get all drives (return to $R0, bitwise)
  System::Call 'kernel32::GetLogicalDrives() i .r10'

;get ascii-number of first char in function parameter
  System::Call "*(&t1 r14)i.r12"
  System::Call "*$R2(&i1 .r14)"
  System::Free $R2

;get type of drive
      System::Call 'kernel32::GetDriveType(t "$R2:\") i .r13'

;get the label of the drive (return to $R1)
  System::Call 'Kernel32::GetVolumeInformation(t r10,t.r11,i ${NSIS_MAX_STRLEN},*i,*i,*i,t.r12,i ${NSIS_MAX_STRLEN})i.r10'

Or it could be nsDialogs-related. Stuff like:
    nsDialogs::Create /NOUNLOAD 1018
    Pop $3

You can throw that at the Wine devteam if you want and ask them if they can reproduce the system freezing if NSIS calls those functions, but I'm afraid there's nothing I can do to help you.

Unread postby Chronowraith » February 10th, 2008, 7:03 pm

alright, thanks Message, hopefully they will be willing to look at it and see what went wrong.
Chronowraith
Addict

Unread postby Chronowraith » February 12th, 2008, 5:45 am

Ok, I managed to get the game to work (at least mostly) I installed to another computer then copied the files into my vritual C drive. Once I mapped my cd drive in wine it worked. So far the only issues are the cursors don't always work right (main menu, and animated cursors don't show up) and the opening doesn't play. Any ideas on how to get these features working?
Chronowraith
Addict

Unread postby darklegion » February 16th, 2008, 12:07 am

You can play the opening videos with mplayer (or any other player I assume), the files are called:
openning1.v and openning2.v
They won't play through wine as mpeg1 is not fully supported yet.As for the cursors, I have no idea :)
darklegion
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Chronowraith » February 16th, 2008, 4:46 pm

yeah... i managed to work out that much (how to play them outside the game) I was hoping for in-game support though. The cursers work just they don't load always. For instance when you start up they aren't there, but when you go into options and choose either monochrome or colored they show up (animated doesn't appear to work at all for me). Just a small hassle but I can deal with it, though full support would be nice.
Chronowraith
Addict

Return to Utawarerumono Chat