The project: our own novel.

Post any of your TYPE-MOON related stories, artwork, etc. This is a spoiler zone, so spoiler tags are NOT required as fan fiction is bound to be full of them. You have been warned.

Moderator: Staffers

Re: The project: our own novel.

Unread postby Superflonic » May 24th, 2009, 11:02 am

I liked zweiterversuch's and abscess' plot, but I'll drop mine here too.

The setting is in this world, no different dimension, nor in the very far future.
It's thriller-esque.
The plot:

The world is held hostage by a human-manufactured virus. It appears to be a single person behind the situation, and a world-wide manhunt is started.
There is no ransom, only little clues to who may have caused it, and slowly, the world is passing away. Because the virus does not cause physical symptoms, only mental symptoms, doctors are on the verge of a nervous breakdown. (The mental symptoms cause the victims to feel physical pain, causing them to die from the pain alone, not from anything else)
It should tell the story behind the person who did this (or persons? I don't know yet. It might've even been caused by a group that tries to prevent an overpopulation of the world, but it had gotten out of control, for all I know. Sounds pretty nice, actually :) ), and the story of the group of people that try to fight the cause, and stop the virus from spreading.

I think that there should be a main person that leads the group of 'good guys', which the story revolves around.

What do you think?
Candlejack, I wonder what hap
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » May 24th, 2009, 11:56 am

That's an interesting idea. Though I'd like to see that story without "good guys" and "bad guys", instead with "gray people", if you know what I mean (no, it's not sex...).
Just want to clear some stuff:
Superflonic wrote:The world is held hostage by a human-manufactured virus.

Does this mean that the virus is some kind of "conscius being" capable of reasoning?
The mental symptoms cause the victims to feel physical pain, causing them to die from the pain alone, not from anything else
Wouldn't this count as... well, physical symptoms? since, y'know, pain is physical. Just wanting to point something.

I have an idea that I've been toying with for quite some time, but I haven't put into work anything about it. Maybe we could blend 'em somewhow. I'm gonna go a bit cyber-punk here:
Over the internet (or whatevver futuristic counterpart you want to make) there was this strange character that was mostly thought of as a myth because of what it was capable of pulling of and being quite elusive when trying to be caught. Kind of like the "ideal hacker on steroids" or some "super anon" or whatever. Anyway, after a long time of inactivity, it's thought to be dead. Because a group of people was interested in the activites it was involved in and what it may know, they collect all information available of it and create a number of people with that data, changing stuff here and there to try to aproximate as much as possible "to the real thing". After they matured, they are left to roam around the city (or country or world, I dunno) to see what each individual does and keep studying what they do to keep on trying to recreate the real "super anon" (or "ideal hacker on steroids" or whatever you wanna call it).
I still don't have an exact idea of what is it that "super anon" did to be targeted by the "group of people" or what do they want to gain with all that hassle, but I find ot an interesting thriller to follow a possible "super anon" that may have forged memories and being studied all time or suspecting everyone around him/her. A possible encounter of "super anons" copies would also be interesting.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Superflonic » May 24th, 2009, 7:41 pm

Well, I thought of the virus as an ordinary virus that make us sick. But that might work too, I suppose. I really, really liked your plot, so a conscious virus would be more 'blend-able' with your story.
And thanks for pointing that out, abscess. With physical symptoms, I meant physical causes :). So, they feel pain all over their body, but there is no physical damage done to their body that could cause this. (Like the pain of being stabbed, without actually being stabbed). I hope this kind of explains it.

Also, to change my plot a tiny bit, being able to blend in robots would make it pretty cool. But just using them for the heck of it seems wrong, and would probably make the story a bit shallow.
However! What if my plot actually does happen in the future? The 'super anon' that got recreated by the so called group of people is a robot (humanoid, of course), and is used to be studied on. And that robot actually creates the virus!

I think this sounds pretty well.
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » May 24th, 2009, 9:41 pm

Superflonic wrote:Well, I thought of the virus as an ordinary virus that make us sick.

Oh. It's just that I thought, since you said the world is "held hostage" that the virus wanted to get something out of it, like a ransom of sorts.
Superflonic wrote:a conscious virus would be more 'blend-able' with your story.

Not necessarily, but I do like the idea of a smart virus, even though it's slightly far fetched. Initially I had an idea that, due to the advancement in technology, the internet somehow got kind of an early conscience, like that of a kid during his/her early childhood. Learning and playing, making mistakes and trying to socialize as much as it can. The thing would be that:
a) The net-baby is disconnected from any other net-babies, because it might be the only one in existence (as far as I've thought), so its development would be kinda hampered and the result could be like a sociopathic genius without something to really hinder its activites, very very smart but unpredictable and possibly dangerous.
b) For that to happen in a believable manner, I'd have to read shitloads of topics I don't even know the names of.... and I'm lazy.... and that makes it hard...

I just had an idea! What if the "mysterious virus that came from who knows where" wants to contact the net-baby? Perhaps like two weird babies capable of doing ruthless things just to keep working their way to meet each other out of curiosity. Though I dunno how the fatal searing pain would enter.... Hmmm... maybe a number of hosts are needed to sustain it or something and when the host is left it dies a horrible death?

Superflonic wrote:The 'super anon' that got recreated by the so called group of people is a robot (humanoid, of course)

While that idea seems interesting, and would make the fact that s/he is being watched all time a little easier (perhaps), it would impose technological discrepancies, I think. If we keep the net-baby, I thought of it like a very early AI that just popped out of nowhere, it was unexpected and no one really knows that it even exist, just that there's something wrong going in the network since some time ago. If there is an AI that just started to exist, then I find it doubtful that scientist of that time would be able to create AI advanced enough to act and think of itself completely human, with needs and urges and even some wishes (even though generally directed towards... some direction I haven't thought of). Besides, this is just because of my stubornness maybe, but I find the idea of "the group of people" toying with human lives just to get the data they want interesting.

I've always thought of the net-baby to be somewhat of an "underplot" that would pop-up in the end or just hints dropped here and there where the "group of people" go "woah! what the fuck was that?!" when it appears or is killed or something happens.

If we abort the net-baby then perhaps the android could be feasable, but I find it intrigueing to work with it. Anyway, you call the shots, you started this :P

Anyway, is someone else even reading this and finds it interesting to write or it's just us?
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby z2000 » May 25th, 2009, 8:18 pm

I find it interesting, but a bit hard to follow. That's good though, in a way.

Personally, I have my own idea, and I've been working on the story for a few months now. Almost 70kb worth of shitty text, and the concept is pretty stupid. Also generic shounen shit.

Anyways, since it is a bit hard to follow, let me clarify.
This super anon is a hacker that was only caught when s/he wanted to be. Pretty much a legend over the internet? Eventually, there was a large amount of inactivity concerning this character's actions, so many thought s/he died.
A group of interested people, concerning this character, had a nice idea. They collected data concerning this character, and made live humans out of that data. They tried to make a human closest to that character. After a few years of the created humans, where they can begin to live on their own, they were set free, to various parts of the world. Not sure if I got close to the idea...

For the virus. It was manufactured by human(s), possibly to keep the human population in control. The virus causes humans to die only due to pain. People infected feel like they're stabbed, shot at, etc, even though they weren't. How does the virus spread? Is it airborne? Does a certain amount of conditions must be fulfilled for a person to be infected? etc etc.

Whatever information I missed, sorry about that.
z2000
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » May 25th, 2009, 9:39 pm

Nice to see someone else show interest. Well, as I'm just one part of us that has toyed with this idea, I'll try to answer your quiestions as best as I can.
z2000 wrote:This super anon is a hacker that was only caught when s/he wanted to be. Pretty much a legend over the internet?

The "super anon" (am I the only one that finds this name goofy?) is somewhat of a legend, but I don't have set in stone if it was one person or a group of persons working as one, but no, the "super anon" wasn't caught, it just disappeared. I have no clear idea at all of what is it exactly that it did, whether it was information trade or security breaches in companies and/or something else, I dunno, I'm no hacker or anything so I can't give a coherent list about it. So far I just have the idea that it is more like a myth, common people or users of the internet don't know all that much and pretty much think it's all just bullshit, but some of the major stuff that it did has left it's mark some way or another, what is it exactly, I don't know.
z2000 wrote:Eventually, there was a large amount of inactivity concerning this character's actions, so many thought s/he died.

Yeah.
z2000 wrote:A group of interested people, concerning this character, had a nice idea.

Yeah.
z2000 wrote:They collected data concerning this character, and made live humans out of that data.

Partially yes. I want them to be humans, but probably some kind of androids are a better way to deal with stuff.
z2000 wrote:They tried to make a human closest to that character.

Yeah.

z2000 wrote:After a few years of the created humans, where they can begin to live on their own, they were set free, to various parts of the world. Not sure if I got close to the idea...

Kind of. I don't know if it will be the world or just a country or a city were they are left. I also don't know how many years it would be or the real age of the copies.
You usually get the amnesic character whose past is all dark and stuff, where s/he was bad and all that crap; but I wanted to give it a little twist that s/he doesn't have much memories but because s/he didn't have any to begin with. But I dunno if I'm gonna use that idea or not.

z2000 wrote:For the virus. It was manufactured by human(s), possibly to keep the human population in control. The virus causes humans to die only due to pain. People infected feel like they're stabbed, shot at, etc, even though they weren't. How does the virus spread? Is it airborne? Does a certain amount of conditions must be fulfilled for a person to be infected? etc etc.

Okay, the virus thing isn't my idea, but I'll try to say what I think I know and speculate stuff here. It would be better if Superflonic answers them, though.
I think it was human made.
I don't know the reason exactly, but population control could be it.
I don't know if the people infected go "damn! I'm being stabbed!!" the moment they get it or goes through stages of development (is that the right word?). After reading his idea and wanted to blend it with mine, the "conscious virus"-idea came up, so it probably controls its hosts either completely or to some degree. So far I only want it to get to meet the "net-baby", but that's another thing. Probably the people infected die after the virus leaves them.
I got no idea how the virus spreads, through the air or contact... I dunno. The same goes for the condition to be or not to be infected.

z2000 wrote:Whatever information I missed, sorry about that.

Well, you seem to have missed the "net-baby" idea, but we, or at least I, don't know if we'll work on this or it will be left to rot in this forums or some fucker will come and steal these.
abscess

Unread postby Superflonic » May 27th, 2009, 7:52 am

abscess wrote:
z2000 wrote:For the virus. It was manufactured by human(s), possibly to keep the human population in control. The virus causes humans to die only due to pain. People infected feel like they're stabbed, shot at, etc, even though they weren't. How does the virus spread? Is it airborne? Does a certain amount of conditions must be fulfilled for a person to be infected? etc etc.

Okay, the virus thing isn't my idea, but I'll try to say what I think I know and speculate stuff here. It would be better if Superflonic answers them, though.
I think it was human made.
I don't know the reason exactly, but population control could be it.
I don't know if the people infected go "damn! I'm being stabbed!!" the moment they get it or goes through stages of development (is that the right word?). After reading his idea and wanted to blend it with mine, the "conscious virus"-idea came up, so it probably controls its hosts either completely or to some degree. So far I only want it to get to meet the "net-baby", but that's another thing. Probably the people infected die after the virus leaves them.
I got no idea how the virus spreads, through the air or contact... I dunno. The same goes for the condition to be or not to be infected.

Yes, the virus is man-created. The original concept was that the virus was created by someone to prevent some future problem (like overpopulation). The virus just makes people (feel) sick, but has an incubation period of <insert time here>, that's not important though. But, for the virus to be succesful, it must be some kind of super-virus, so everyone will get infected eventually. This kind of voids the eventual plot, since everyone will die. I must think of something to control this. Maybe the virus only attacks certain people? Or the creator of the virus only infects certain people? I haven't decided yet. Maybe somebody else has an idea.

I am also playing with the idea of the super-anon and the virus being two different threads, that eventually cross eachothers path, blending the two stories together. Like, the super-anon was some kind of internet legend, and the virus somehow started infecting people somewhere along the first sighting of the super-anon. Which could indicate that the super-anon was some kind of white hat hacker (google it, my friends) that actually thought of the safety of mankind. Along with the supervirus, he can finally reach his goal.

I should spend some more time on this, I typed this post in class :) I will revise my post later today.
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » May 27th, 2009, 9:33 am

wikipedia wrote:A white hat is the hero or good guy, especially in computing slang, where it refers to an ethical hacker or penetration tester who focuses on securing and protecting IT systems.
Interesting. A friend, IIRC, does something similar to that, he could be of some help.

As for the purpose of the "super anon", I don't want it to be "a good guy", but that doesn't mean it has to be a "bad guy", I'd like to have something in between. I won't get into what is it that I believe to be goodguy/badguy characteristics, just that if the "super anon" did something for the mankind, it's because it believed there would be some ulterior reward, maybe to follow some sort of creed it believed in.
So far the only way I can think of blending the "super anon" and the virus is having:
a) the real "super anon" spread the initial outbreak of the virus.
b) the "group of people" did it.
But I can't find a reason for it, not to mention that would sound rather expected

Anyway, yes, I think it would be good to first present the virus and the "super anon" stories as if they were separate and then put them together (somehow) later in the story.

Superflonic wrote:I should spend some more time on this, I typed this post in class :) I will revise my post later today

Nope. You should spend some more time in your classes. It's better if you leave this thread for later if you are too occupied ;)

Edit: I have an idea for the reason of the virus to exist. Though I find it interesting, I still think it needs to be worked on a lot. I mentioned earlier that the virus could be conscious and one of its goals could be meeting the "net baby". I said that the "net baby" was in it early stages of development, like say, a 2 year old child that is moving around a lot and making a lot of noise so someone pay attention to him/her. What if the virus was designed to serve as some sort of a parent to the "net baby"? It's debatable, but, if thought of it as a real child, it could eventually grow to be some kind of an adultlike super intelligence; leaving it alone until that time comes wouldn't be to wise an idea, not to mention pottentially hazardous.
Of course, this is supposing that we didn't already abort the "net baby" :P

P.S: I agree with Atriel. I wish the emoticons are up and running again soon...
abscess

Unread postby Superflonic » May 28th, 2009, 7:49 pm

abscess wrote:Nope. You should spend some more time in your classes. It's better if you leave this thread for later if you are too occupied ;)

Haha, of course. Also, I said today two days ago, but it just had to be the day a major national DNS failure pops up.

Anyway, there's not much to revise. I said what I wanted to say, haha.
Let's get back to discussing plans :)

abscess wrote:Edit: I have an idea for the reason of the virus to exist. Though I find it interesting, I still think it needs to be worked on a lot. I mentioned earlier that the virus could be conscious and one of its goals could be meeting the "net baby". I said that the "net baby" was in it early stages of development, like say, a 2 year old child that is moving around a lot and making a lot of noise so someone pay attention to him/her. What if the virus was designed to serve as some sort of a parent to the "net baby"? It's debatable, but, if thought of it as a real child, it could eventually grow to be some kind of an adultlike super intelligence; leaving it alone until that time comes wouldn't be to wise an idea, not to mention pottentially hazardous.
Of course, this is supposing that we didn't already abort the "net baby" :P

The first thing I thought of when I read 'adultlike super intelligence' was google. Dear god

I like the idea, but the 'net baby' is pretty hard to realize. It would mean the entire internet has somehow transformed into one (living?) organism, that grows and learns every day. Then again, it might actually be a great idea. I mean, leaving the internet as it is right now won't cut it in the future. It needs to be intelligent, to some extent. So <story idea> in the future, the internet has been turned into an intelligent organism to serve people better. But, the original super-anon (shouldn't we give him a name? I mean, he's pretty solid in this story now) thought it wasn't enough. He wanted the internet not only to be intelligent, but also enable it to take decisions on its own.

That's one of anon's milestones, but soon enough scientists (or 'that' group of people? the enthusiasts that will later recreate anon?) saw the potential danger of the internet (needs a different name, lol) and tried to stop it. (There should be enough time between the creation of the more intelligent internet and the realization of the potential danger for the original super-anon to die, for example. Or at least for people to forget about him).

They couldn't stop the internet from growing more intelligent, and needed some kind of hero. This could be the reason (in my version of the story, is the reason ;) ) why they tried to recreate the anon. Because he knew how it would think, and knew what it will do. THIS, the original anon to anticipated, and the recreation was very much like the original him. So, after his reincarnation as an android (with the side-effect of being practially immortal), he now acts like the original anon, and causes havok again.

Here comes your idea of the anon not necessarily being a bad guy, nor a good guy. The original anon might've been a good guy, (maybe the conclusion of the story will never reveal that? Who know what this story evolves into) but the new one has no sense of emotion, and can only act on (dis)logic. The new 'an(on)droid' creates the virus, somehow. We all know that the original anon was a genius, so the anondroid could've created something like a living virus.

I am going to end typing now, lol, since I am getting tired and my mind is pretty clouded now.
Just one more thing:

abscess wrote:Anyway, yes, I think it would be good to first present the virus and the "super anon" stories as if they were separate and then put them together (somehow) later in the story.

We could be able to do this by switching back and forth in time. With either flashbacks or some kind of plot device.

Also, as of now, I'm asleep.
*zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » May 29th, 2009, 1:39 am

Superflonic wrote:So <story idea> in the future, the internet has been turned into an intelligent organism to serve people better.

Yeah, something like that, though, to what extent, I dunno. The "net baby" was, from what I thought, a thing that just happened to start to exist. Whether someone put the needed infrastructure to sustain it or it just "magically" popped up, I still haven't thought about it...... Hmm! I have an idea now! We could add another group to the fray if there was someone that put the infrastructure needed for the net-baby to occur, "super anon" found it and then disappeared.

Superflonic wrote:shouldn't we give [super-anon] a name? I mean, he's pretty solid in this story now

Yes we should, but it isn't that solid in the storyline. Sure, it always shows up, but, in case you haven't noticed, I try to always say "it" instead of "him/her", because I don't know if this character will be a person or a number of them or what gender is it. Right now I'm leaning for it to be a small group of people trying to pass as a single entity or person, a tiny bit like the real anon but well done.

I've been thinking about the thing of having anon (let's keep calling it anon for now, because "super-anon" sounds really dumb to me) as somewhat of a care-taker of the net-baby. It does sound convincing, but I think there should be more than that. Not just him taking care of it, probably wanting the net-baby to either serve it in later future or give it a body so it can roam free in the real world.... Hmmm... this part somewhat reminds of the Lain anime.... Either way, I think it's still too early to dictate what was its original intention.

I'm not convinced about the "group of people" (yes, I agree they should be named, but can't think of any that would be as useful as this one) fearing the net-baby from the beginning. Doing that would blow the cover of the net-baby underplot practically from the start. The thing is that I thought of the situation like this: The network seems to be acting erratically, data transmission not working properly because data packages are arriving later or not at all or even arriving at the wrong destination (I've thought other erratic behavior, but I don't think it matters right now); so the "group of people", knowing (almost?) everything there is to know about anon, they created the anon-series so they can get a better insight of what it is that anon knew and see if the network and anon where related or not.

It's not a bad idea that the "group people" want to kill the net-baby, but there should be an excuse for that, not to mention that there should be a series of events that occur before the net-baby is known.... Maybe I'm just stubborn on not wanting those guys to know about the net-baby right away.

I can't say I agree with the anondroid idea either. I had in mind to make the anon-copies somewhat of what transhumanist envision humanity to become, but gone wrong.
wikipedia wrote:Transhumanism is a class of philosophies that seek to guide us towards a posthuman condition. Transhumanism shares many elements of humanism, including a respect for reason and science, a commitment to progress, and a valuing of human (or transhuman) existence in this life. […] Transhumanism differs from humanism in recognizing and anticipating the radical alterations in the nature and possibilities of our lives resulting from various sciences and technologies […].

You say that the anondroids work without emotion and based solely in logic, but if that was the case, then we could just make them say "hey, why not nuke the humans and keep ourselves alive?". Doing that would bring another plot that, although interesting, I've already seen it happen in DeusEx 2 (the Omars, which are awesome!) and would also potentially blow the virus plot along with the net-baby. It is debatable that it doesn't necessarily have to follow that path, but usually, when you want to solve a problem, you try to get rid of the source, the source being humans.

As I understand it, following the transhumanist philosophy, the anon-series wouldn't want to eradicate humanity, but probably lead it. Then we could make use of the discussion between posthumanism and transhumanism (stuff I still don't get quite well), which is right or wrong and what happens to the spirituality of the people in those cases and what really makes a human being a human and not something else.

I liked the idea of the anondroid (or anon-series, whatever name is fine) being the creator of the virus. I think it should still be worked on, because I liked the idea of the virus being conscious, but I can't seem to find a nice way to make that happen.

Superflonic wrote:We could be able to do this by switching back and forth in time. With either flashbacks or some kind of plot device.
That sounds as a good idea so far. We should discuss this further after having a better idea of what the story would be about.
abscess

Unread postby Uberoy » June 2nd, 2009, 7:27 am

Interesting story, though I have some suggestions (sorry if this has been implied and I'm just to dull to understand it XD).

What about a resistance to the group of people trying to destroy the "net-baby" (there is always fanatics and resistances)? People who somewhat knows (or think they knows) about the net-baby and starts to worship it. I haven't thought about how they would have an influence on the story but I think that the story needs some sort of creepy cult running around.

Another idea I've been thinking about is Technomancers from Shadowrun (people controlling the internet with their minds). Or if anon would be the first (and only?) technomancer like some kind of messiah which could give the story some religious elements.

This is just ideas though. Keep up the good thinking!
But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Superflonic » June 2nd, 2009, 5:37 pm

abscess wrote:Yeah, something like that, though, to what extent, I dunno. The "net baby" was, from what I thought, a thing that just happened to start to exist. Whether someone put the needed infrastructure to sustain it or it just "magically" popped up, I still haven't thought about it...... Hmm! I have an idea now! We could add another group to the fray if there was someone that put the infrastructure needed for the net-baby to occur, "super anon" found it and then disappeared

Well, if the "internet organism" just suddenly started to exist, that would be a bit too unreal. I think we should have someone create the "net-baby", without adding another party to the bunch. I guess that would make it too messy.

Yes we should, but it isn't that solid in the storyline. Sure, it always shows up, but, in case you haven't noticed, I try to always say "it" instead of "him/her", because I don't know if this character will be a person or a number of them or what gender is it. Right now I'm leaning for it to be a small group of people trying to pass as a single entity or person, a tiny bit like the real anon but well done.

True, I only just noticed. I just did it automatically, bit I haven't thought about it before. We should decide lateron, but anon should have some playing time in the story as well so eventually he'll need a face (and gender).

I've been thinking about the thing of having anon (let's keep calling it anon for now, because "super-anon" sounds really dumb to me) as somewhat of a care-taker of the net-baby. It does sound convincing, but I think there should be more than that. Not just him taking care of it, probably wanting the net-baby to either serve it in later future or give it a body so it can roam free in the real world.... Hmmm... this part somewhat reminds of the Lain anime.... Either way, I think it's still too early to dictate what was its original intention.

That's actually a pretty good idea. anon existed before the birth of the "net baby", but his intentions aren't clear to yet, so we can't decide his role regarding the net baby.

I'm not convinced about the "group of people" (yes, I agree they should be named, but can't think of any that would be as useful as this one) fearing the net-baby from the beginning. Doing that would blow the cover of the net-baby underplot practically from the start. The thing is that I thought of the situation like this: The network seems to be acting erratically, data transmission not working properly because data packages are arriving later or not at all or even arriving at the wrong destination (I've thought other erratic behavior, but I don't think it matters right now); so the "group of people", knowing (almost?) everything there is to know about anon, they created the anon-series so they can get a better insight of what it is that anon knew and see if the network and anon where related or not.

I didn't mean it that way ;) It all goes well up to some point, where the net baby starts to act irrationally. I actually thought of some kind of new-age millenium bug, using the problems they anticipated in 1999 for our story.
When the network started to behave odd, the group of people started their investigation (or continued? they should already know about anon at this point), and created neo-anon. It (anon) looked and behaved just like a human, albeit a bit shallow (they don't have all information about him, so they couldn't perfectly reproduce him).

A small recap/story edit. The original anon might've been responsible for the "net baby" as we know it. The group of people isn't completely sure about this either, since anon is a complete mistery, but they assumed this. (The group of people is a (small) team that dedicated themselves to uncover the mystery of anon. He caused both panic and problems on the internet (and indirectly in real life), but he also helped solving huge problems.) He was extremely intelligent, but could therefore also pose a threat. Anyway, they left him as he was, since there had been a long time of inactivity.

Later, the net baby starts to crash, or something. It stops functioning as it should, and causes a world-wide panic. (I mean, when the internet-infrastructure gets shut down, the on the internet relying world gets set back into the stone age.) For some reason, the group of people think this has something to do with anon, but because they have no way of knowing when he will do something, they decide to create an anon of their own, based on the information they have. That anon is then used to repair the internet.
However, anon thinks different, and uses its new body (the android body? Who knows) to execute his remaining plans. That is, to create the virus. I haven’t thought about what happens after, though.

It's not a bad idea that the "group people" want to kill the net-baby, but there should be an excuse for that, not to mention that there should be a series of events that occur before the net-baby is known.... Maybe I'm just stubborn on not wanting those guys to know about the net-baby right away.

You are right. Maybe everyone (not just the group of people) isn’t aware of the intelligence the internet is growing, and do not know about the ‘organism’ that is forming.

I can't say I agree with the anondroid idea either. I had in mind to make the anon-copies somewhat of what transhumanist envision humanity to become, but gone wrong.

Hmm, I don’t really like the idea of multiple anons. If we were to follow my storyline (I am thinking in my own perspective here, we have a long time to go before making actual definite decisions, lol), a single anon would be enough. Maybe it creates the virus for the purpose of collecting more and more information/knowledge? It appears so far that anon wants his intellect to grow, so this is plausible.

You say that the anondroids work without emotion and based solely in logic, but if that was the case, then we could just make them say "hey, why not nuke the humans and keep ourselves alive?". Doing that would bring another plot that, although interesting, I've already seen it happen in DeusEx 2 (the Omars, which are awesome!) and would also potentially blow the virus plot along with the net-baby. It is debatable that it doesn't necessarily have to follow that path, but usually, when you want to solve a problem, you try to get rid of the source, the source being humans.

Well, not necessarily. The original anon felt like it was some kind of caretaker for the net-baby, because it had potential. Maybe he felt he had to take the lead of the human race for some bigger cause? And he’s own his own, there aren’t tons of him,

As I understand it, following the transhumanist philosophy, the anon-series wouldn't want to eradicate humanity, but probably lead it. Then we could make use of the discussion between posthumanism and transhumanism (stuff I still don't get quite well), which is right or wrong and what happens to the spirituality of the people in those cases and what really makes a human being a human and not something else.
I liked the idea of the anondroid (or anon-series, whatever name is fine) being the creator of the virus. I think it should still be worked on, because I liked the idea of the virus being conscious, but I can't seem to find a nice way to make that happen.

See the above plot change ;)

Uberoy wrote:
What about a resistance to the group of people trying to destroy the "net-baby" (there is always fanatics and resistances)? People who somewhat knows (or think they knows) about the net-baby and starts to worship it. I haven't thought about how they would have an influence on the story but I think that the story needs some sort of creepy cult running around.

Another idea I've been thinking about is Technomancers from Shadowrun (people controlling the internet with their minds). Or if anon would be the first (and only?) technomancer like some kind of messiah which could give the story some religious elements.

Both of these ideas are pretty good. I guess giving the story religious (or moral) elements could also give it even more depth. Maybe the group of people already are some kind of crazy cult, and nobody knows about them.
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » June 4th, 2009, 1:41 am

I'll try to keep the names as consistent as possible from here on to avoid misunderstandings. We should discuss briefly namings because they are starting to be a pain. For now, whenever a name that I think may be important (no matter how dumb it sounds) I'll write it like this

Superflonic wrote:Well, if the "internet organism" just suddenly started to exist, that would be a bit too unreal. I think we should have someone create the "net-baby", without adding another party to the bunch. I guess that would make it too messy.

Yeah you are right, the infrastructure should be set up by someone. The idea of it suddenly existing now strikes me a bit like life suddenly appearing, and a smart one no less.... That's dumb.
As for the one who set up the appropriate structure for it to exist, for simplicity we could make the original anon be the one that did it, but we could just hint that the original anon isn't the one that did it and it was someone else, who was it? it doesn't really matters. It's one of my ideas to have the background story to be bigger than the actual story the player would see in-game.

Superflonic wrote:True, I only just noticed. I just did it automatically, bit I haven't thought about it before. We should decide lateron, but anon should have some playing time in the story as well so eventually he'll need a face (and gender).

True, but I'm still leaning on the original anon to be a small group of people working together. Making all the group appear could be a little weird, perhaps one or two of the group, then again the appearance of the whole group couldn't hurt, I guess.

Superflonic wrote:When the network started to behave odd, the group of people started their investigation (or continued? they should already know about anon at this point), and created neo-anon. It (anon) looked and behaved just like a human, albeit a bit shallow (they don't have all information about him, so they couldn't perfectly reproduce him).

I agree the group of people should know about the original anon before it disappears, so it would make sense for them to continue their investigation.

Superflonic wrote:A small recap/story edit. The original anon might've been responsible for the "net baby" as we know it. The group of people isn't completely sure about this either, since anon is a complete mistery, but they assumed this.

Hmm... Does this mean that the group of people already knows about the net-baby? I agree that they would at least have some idea that there may be something weird lurking on the internet and that the original anon may have something to do with it, but I still think it would be better if they don't know what the net-baby really is until later. I still think of it as a subplot that may be either underplayed to the extent of being either just some hints here and there or for it becoming the main plot during the more advanced parts of the game.
Superflonic wrote:You are right. Maybe everyone (not just the group of people) isn’t aware of the intelligence the internet is growing, and do not know about the ‘organism’ that is forming.

Maybe I shouldn't answer paragraph by paragraph anymore... it leads to misunderstandings some times :P

Superflonic wrote:Later, the net baby starts to crash, or something. It stops functioning as it should, and causes a world-wide panic. (I mean, when the internet-infrastructure gets shut down, the on the internet relying world gets set back into the stone age.) For some reason, the group of people think this has something to do with anon, but because they have no way of knowing when he will do something, they decide to create an anon of their own, based on the information they have. That anon is then used to repair the internet.
However, anon thinks different, and uses its new body (the android body? Who knows) to execute his remaining plans. That is, to create the virus. I haven’t thought about what happens after, though.

Earlier you mentioned a neo-anon. That gave me an idea, though it's a bit like MGS, with Solid and Liquid Snake, I think. The neo-anon could be the prototype the group of people created based on the original anon. What if we have neo-anon based solely on the data collected on the original anon and nothing else? That is, s/he has no emotion or care about human beings, just an interest in carrying out the mission (whatever it is) following the patterns the original anon followed. Then something happened to neo-anon (or maybe it just followed perfectly what was thought the original anon wanted) and created the virus. After that, the anon-series were created as a means to carry out what they (the group of people) originally wanted and stopping neo-anon from doing any more funny stuff.

Superflonic wrote:Hmm, I don’t really like the idea of multiple anons. If we were to follow my storyline (I am thinking in my own perspective here, we have a long time to go before making actual definite decisions, lol), a single anon would be enough. Maybe it creates the virus for the purpose of collecting more and more information/knowledge?

And I had it the other way around from the beginning :lol: The idea of multiple anons is something that I find interesting. It's not needed for them all to show up and tell what is it they do, only mentioned that they exist. It's plausible and logical if you think of it this way (obviously, from my point of view):
The anon series are designed humans and all of them have the original anon information inside of them, but they are individual humans nonetheless, with feelings, needs and urges. Since the group of people don't know who the original anon was, one of the anon series could be made to be a 30-year-old woman, other a 15-year-old boy, other could be more extroverted while there is another that is more introverted; that way they could aproximate the real original anon as a person, or at least one of its group members (supposing that the original anon is a group).
The neo-anon (if we agree on its existence) is nothing else but the embodiment original anon's information. It lacks emotion and is driven by the duty to the mission and follows it as logically as possible.

Superflonic wrote:It appears so far that anon wants his intellect to grow, so this is plausible.

I actually never thought about the original anon as being an information hoarder, more like those hackers that infiltrate protected places, take out as much data as possible and then upload it somewhere for people to read.
But the information hoarding could also be interesting. I just thought of this, what if in its later days, before disappearing, he actually started just getting certain data without publishing it? Something like it researching a subject (the net baby perhaps?) but not telling anyone about it.

Superflonic wrote:
Uberoy wrote: What about a resistance to the group of people trying to destroy the "net-baby" (there is always fanatics and resistances)? People who somewhat knows (or think they knows) about the net-baby and starts to worship it. I haven't thought about how they would have an influence on the story but I think that the story needs some sort of creepy cult running around.

Both of these ideas are pretty good. I guess giving the story religious (or moral) elements could also give it even more depth. Maybe the group of people already are some kind of crazy cult, and nobody knows about them.

Moral dilemmas is what I proposed with the transhuman discussion, but I never thought about cultist thinking, not to mention thinking about the group of people as a net baby worshipping cult. Actually I thought of them the other way around, as a group of people wanting to get rid of the net baby. So far the original anon would be the only group/person that could be labeled as a net baby cult.

As for the techomancers and such, we should also discuss about it. I didn't consider it either, just normal thriller-esque sci-fi.

P.S: [rant]It's bothersome to type in the italics coding everytime I put a name... Still, it's preferable than all-caps... I hate all-caps.[/rant]
P.S-2: It may be a good time to start thinking of naming this version of the internet.
abscess

Unread postby z2000 » June 4th, 2009, 4:04 pm

It would be easier if we all gave them temporary names for now. Like Alpha is the Original Anon and Beta is Neo Anon, Gamma is net-baby, etc etc etc?

Anyways, it's fine to have them both though, right? The cultist group is something the media is all hyped about, and the cult's beliefs are slowing spreading to people. While the group against the net-baby is something more private, and not as world-known. The cult itself may not be too important, since it might may as well have been created by the original anon. Or something.

Everything seems to be going along nicely.
z2000
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Superflonic » June 4th, 2009, 9:10 pm

abscess wrote:I'll try to keep the names as consistent as possible from here on to avoid misunderstandings. We should discuss briefly namings because they are starting to be a pain. For now, whenever a name that I think may be important (no matter how dumb it sounds) I'll write it like this

Good idea. Also, naming them temporarily, as stated in the last post by z2000, is a pretty good idea. However, I think the most appropriate name for the net-baby would be Omega.
The beginning of it all, anon, should be named Alpha, and neo-anon should be named Beta (as he's only a part of the real anon). These are all temporary, though.

Yeah you are right, the infrastructure should be set up by someone. The idea of it suddenly existing now strikes me a bit like life suddenly appearing, and a smart one no less.... That's dumb.
As for the one who set up the appropriate structure for it to exist, for simplicity we could make the original anon be the one that did it, but we could just hint that the original anon isn't the one that did it and it was someone else, who was it? it doesn't really matters. It's one of my ideas to have the background story to be bigger than the actual story the player would see in-game.

We should prevent the story from getting incredibly complex, so going for Alpha being the creator of the super-internet (name?) would be our best chance. And about the background story, I've kind of lost track there :lol: . What part of what we thought up so far is the background story? The creation of Omega? The virus?

True, but I'm still leaning on the original anon to be a small group of people working together. Making all the group appear could be a little weird, perhaps one or two of the group, then again the appearance of the whole group couldn't hurt, I guess.

Hmm, it would be a good idea, but I am kind of sceptical. The idea of Alpha being one person (one actual genius human), would make a bigger impact, and would give a better idea of the genius behind the character. Maybe he (Alpha) is a loner in real life, and the shallowness of Beta is actually pretty accurate, since Alpha is only good at interacting with computers.

Maybe I shouldn't answer paragraph by paragraph anymore... it leads to misunderstandings some times :P

To add to the story, everyone (including the group of people (shall we name them scientists? I mean, creating a new lifeform (robotic?) based on just information is too hard even for a bunch of hardcore fanatics)) doesn't know about Omega, and just think the internet is getting smarter, not getting a consciousness.

Earlier you mentioned a neo-anon. That gave me an idea, though it's a bit like MGS, with Solid and Liquid Snake, I think. The neo-anon could be the prototype the group of people created based on the original anon. What if we have neo-anon based solely on the data collected on the original anon and nothing else? That is, s/he has no emotion or care about human beings, just an interest in carrying out the mission (whatever it is) following the patterns the original anon followed. Then something happened to neo-anon (or maybe it just followed perfectly what was thought the original anon wanted) and created the virus. After that, the anon-series were created as a means to carry out what they (the group of people) originally wanted and stopping neo-anon from doing any more funny stuff.

Well, up to the point of the anon-series, that's exactly what I had in mind. Then comes the anon-series. That's awesome :D
The manhunt that would follow from the anon-series hunting down neo-anon (Beta) would bring a considerable amount of action into the plot. The anon-series would also be able to form a collective of geniuses (much like a hyperthreading processor, with more threads being more anons), and destroy the virus that has somehow popped up.

And I had it the other way around from the beginning :lol: The idea of multiple anons is something that I find interesting. It's not needed for them all to show up and tell what is it they do, only mentioned that they exist. It's plausible and logical if you think of it this way (obviously, from my point of view):

Haha, I agree now. Look above at the manhunt part ;)

The anon series are designed humans and all of them have the original anon information inside of them, but they are individual humans nonetheless, with feelings, needs and urges. Since the group of people don't know who the original anon was, one of the anon series could be made to be a 30-year-old woman, other a 15-year-old boy, other could be more extroverted while there is another that is more introverted; that way they could aproximate the real original anon as a person, or at least one of its group members (supposing that the original anon is a group).
The neo-anon (if we agree on its existence) is nothing else but the embodiment original anon's information. It lacks emotion and is driven by the duty to the mission and follows it as logically as possible.

Exactly. There are two kinds of anons. One is Beta, the one created to help with Omega's (the internet's) problems. This *somehow* gets out of hand, and Beta stops obeying the group of people, and flees. Then, the anon-series is created. They are designed to be more human. They contain information about how Alpha acted, but no more than necessary (to prevent them from mutinying, of course, because that would be quite a problem). And they are used to track Beta down and return him, alive or dead.

I actually never thought about the original anon as being an information hoarder, more like those hackers that infiltrate protected places, take out as much data as possible and then upload it somewhere for people to read.
But the information hoarding could also be interesting. I just thought of this, what if in its later days, before disappearing, he actually started just getting certain data without publishing it? Something like it researching a subject (the net baby perhaps?) but not telling anyone about it.
[/quote]

Well, maybe he did spread info in the beginning, but not everything, even then. He tried to get all of the info needed, to put together a very early version of the living internet together, for example. (And did the living internet, Omega, eventually turn into the net-baby? With a conscious and everything?)
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » June 6th, 2009, 9:40 am

Superflonic wrote:Good idea. Also, naming them temporarily, as stated in the last post by z2000, is a pretty good idea. However, I think the most appropriate name for the net-baby would be Omega.
Well, I'm not really into greek letters but, meh, it's temporary so whatev's. Since both z2000 and you are using those names, I'll follow. I'll drop writing names like this because it's bothersome typing the italics coding, instead I'll use "quotation marks".

Superflonic wrote:We should prevent the story from getting incredibly complex, so going for Alpha being the creator of the super-internet (name?) would be our best chance.

I don't see much problem in overcomplicating stuff, as long as we don't mention them in-game ;) Take Tsukihime for example, there are tons of info about Akasha and the lines of death and the connection with this and that other stuff and circuits and what-not; but the main important story, that of Shiki and the heroines, doesn't delve into those things unless necessary. While I'm interested in actually delving more into this narrated universe, I find it useless to show everything there is about it, just what is needed to understand, the rest could hinted at or completely ignored. I'm just explaining my point.

Superflonic wrote:And about the background story, I've kind of lost track there :lol: . What part of what we thought up so far is the background story? The creation of Omega? The virus?

I wonder that myself too. So far I've thought about it like the virus is the first thing to show up, with people dying for unknown reasons and show erratic behavior. After explaining more about the virus we get to know about "Beta", after getting to know more about the guy/girl/bipedal thing(?), more info about "Alpha" and the "anon-series" appears. "Omega" would also make its appearance because of "Beta" and "Alpha's" relation, along with the "anon-series" and the "group of people".
What I mean about background story is, for example, the economical and political situation the world is going through at the time the story takes place, what kind of technology is considered common everyday things and what is still not achievable with it, how much society has changed compared to ours, past events that lead up to the present state of affairs of the characters and organizations etc., etc.

Superflonic wrote:Hmm, it would be a good idea, but I am kind of sceptical. The idea of Alpha being one person (one actual genius human), would make a bigger impact, and would give a better idea of the genius behind the character. Maybe he (Alpha) is a loner in real life, and the shallowness of Beta is actually pretty accurate, since Alpha is only good at interacting with computers.

I'm skeptical in throwing all those skills into one single persons. How much of a genius a person has to be to be able to plan such intricate strategies and pulling them off stealthily and effectively? I'm tired of the almighty teen/young adult that somehow is able to do all that stuff and more without any real or believable explanation or hint as to why the hell that happens, not to mention that it would be easier to explain the disappearance of "Alpha" due to disagreement inside the group, thus it disbanded.
I agree the impact of "Alpha" being a single entity would be big, but, as I've said, there are numerous characters that are unbelievably good at what they do and the great explanation for it is "OMG THEY BE GENIUSUHS" (L and Light from Death Note). Yeah, everything is quite outside of real logic, with having a conscious virus (is this idea still going or dropped?) and the internet being somewhat of a living thing, but I'd like to try to keep things from depending too much on the suspension of disbelief. But, seeing things from another perspective, writing a single character as "Alpha" could be considerably easier than having one or two of the group appear and make an excuse to why the rest isn't there and who knows what else.
I think we'll have to discuss about this some more.

Superflonic wrote:the group of people (shall we name them scientists?

Hmm.... I dunno about it. Generally when people think about scientist, they get to thinking about natural scientists (physics, biology, chemistry, etc). Knowing about it, putting the label of cult followers to scientists is quite hard, since very few I know follow a dogmatic belief (like the net-baby cult) or have pipe-dreams of dominating something (the famous world domination oh so present in cartoons and such by evil scientists... ugh). That kind of thought process could be more akin to other people, I think, like politicians or CEOs of some enterprises or something like that. It's just that I think that "scientists" isn't right. What if we first discuss what this "group of people" really is? Because, even though temporary, I just don't feel comfortable naming them "scientists" so lightly...

Superflonic wrote:To add to the story, everyone [...] doesn't know about Omega, and just think the internet is getting smarter, not getting a consciousness.

Pretty much what I had in mind. We should also discuss what "getting smarter" really is and what the 'net is used for ('sides the obvious) in this story.

Superflonic wrote:Well, up to the point of the anon-series, that's exactly what I had in mind. Then comes the anon-series. That's awesome :D
The manhunt that would follow from the anon-series hunting down neo-anon (Beta) would bring a considerable amount of action into the plot. The anon-series would also be able to form a collective of geniuses (much like a hyperthreading processor, with more threads being more anons), and destroy the virus that has somehow popped up.

Glad we agreed on something. I have a few ideas about how the "anon series", operate, but not much. Just that I didn't think of them of being some kind of trained special forces, more like individuals trying to do what they think is right (due to their programming), but the coordinated manhunt idea sounds cool. We should talk more about this..... how many times have I said that in this post already?

Superflonic wrote:Exactly. There are two kinds of anons. One is Beta, the one created to help with Omega's (the internet's) problems. This *somehow* gets out of hand, and Beta stops obeying the group of people, and flees. Then, the anon-series is created. They are designed to be more human. They contain information about how Alpha acted, but no more than necessary (to prevent them from mutinying, of course, because that would be quite a problem). And they are used to track Beta down and return him, alive or dead.

Right. The returning part would have to be discussed, because I didn't think about them of being conscious that they are hunting "Beta" or that they know that they are part of the anon-series.... but on another thought, the way I have it, could pose some serious troubles. Well, you call the shots here and I'll see what happens ;)

Superflonic wrote:Well, maybe he did spread info in the beginning, but not everything, even then. He tried to get all of the info needed, to put together a very early version of the living internet together, for example. (And did the living internet, Omega, eventually turn into the net-baby? With a conscious and everything?)

I like the initial spread of info that then stops, that would hint that "Alpha" was still thinking things through about what it was doing and, eventually, changed its mind and hid at least part of the data.
As for "Omega" being conscious from the get-go, so far I picture it like "Alpha".... well, impregnating the internet with whatever it was that did the job, then it started to develop and grow, after some time, "Omega" started feeling its surroundings, toying with packs of data, learning stuff, feeding on... info? electricity? I dunno, something. Anyway, it started toying with the internet and, eventually, it merged with the net, thus more and more parts of the internet start behaving oddly... or something like that :P
The conscious part of "Omega" would be, I think, kinda like a real baby, a baby doesn't have an idea of self, doesn't recognize their own reflection on a mirror and, practically, just wants to be taken care of and interact with the surroundings. I read somewhere that a baby was somewhat of an entity completely controled by the id (you know, from the id, ego and super-ego stuff that Freud talked about), something like that is the "Omega" I picture; a baby in the very early stages of development that just wants stuff.
abscess

Unread postby z2000 » June 7th, 2009, 3:42 am

Well, since you wanted a society thing, I may as well have a try at it.
In x years from now, people are generally split up into two groups. The carefree-like people (A), who just merely want to live and have a good life. Similarly how most people are today, who just think about finding a significant other, find a good job, and raise a family. The other group (B) could be people who want to search for something more, wish to know more, and see how they can improve the world. Like geniuses, who discover new things or creating new things. The difference between current geniuses and them are that they no longer freely give out information to the public, ironically afraid that mankind might do something wrong with it.

From the second group, there are people who take it much too far. I guess this could be the 'fanatics' of Alpha would fall in.

Around there, Beta created the virus, which interferes and endangers Group A's life. There, some people from Group B, attempts to find the origin of the virus and as to why the internet's odd behavior at the time.

Something like that, I completely forgot what I was trying to get at midway. Doesn't have to be solid, and is merely a suggestion.

L and Light wasn't that young. By the end of the series, I'm sure Light was about 30. Also, Alpha doesn't have to be a teenager if you all are going with the single-entity way. May as well be an old man with a branch in his left hand, white beard touching the ground, and a wizard hat on his head.
z2000
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Superflonic » June 9th, 2009, 5:00 pm

Just to let you know, I haven't died, lol

I have a pretty busy week, so I will most likely reply with some new ideas this friday.
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » June 10th, 2009, 12:21 am

lol
Nobody is rushing you. Take your time.

Anyway, since I'm already posting here, may as well answer z2000's post:

z2000 wrote:[...](A), who just merely want to live and have a good life. Similarly how most people are today, who just think about finding a significant other, find a good job, and raise a family. The other group

Okay. As you say, pretty much like nowadays.

z2000 wrote:(B) could be people who want to search for something more, wish to know more, and see how they can improve the world. Like geniuses, who discover new things or creating new things. The difference between current geniuses and them are that they no longer freely give out information to the public, ironically afraid that mankind might do something wrong with it.

This enters into direct conflict with what "Alpha" was doing first. It was pissing info all over the place. One of the reasons I've been toying with is about misinformation being used as a means to control the masses (pretty much like today), and "Alpha" started like pretty much anyone else, stealing info and publishing it, digging old news and making the correct connections to recent events, etc. I'm still not quite sure on using this, though, since it seems quite common.

z2000 wrote:From the second group, there are people who take it much too far. I guess this could be the 'fanatics' of Alpha would fall in.

I'm not sure I get what you try to say here. Before I try to jump to a conclusion, could you elaborate this a bit?

z2000 wrote:L and Light wasn't that young. By the end of the series, I'm sure Light was about 30. Also, Alpha doesn't have to be a teenager if you all are going with the single-entity way. May as well be an old man with a branch in his left hand, white beard touching the ground, and a wizard hat on his head.

I'll just talk about Light here: He was a genius in academics, he won some tennis tournament between high schools, he was quite popular with the people, he knew how to use that charisma effectively to control them..... And that's stated as a basis when he was a young adult just leaving high school. So, yeah, he was the OMG O-SUM TEEN/YOUNG ADULT JEENIUHZ at everything. I'd like to not depend on that kind of character to tell a story, if possible; it feels like cheating. I won't be debating Death Note any further, since I pretty much lost interest in it after ep 19 and haven't picked it up again for some years.

As for "Alpha's" age. I was toying with ages ranging from late 20's to early 40's when it was active.
abscess

Unread postby zweiterversuch » June 12th, 2009, 1:29 am

Damn!

This is long and I can't understand anything of what you are saying...( I mean, not like I really CAN'T understand. It is just that I can't follow it anymore.)

So...
You guys have so far

Net baby
Anon
groups of people
beta
virus.

right?

mmmmm

the relation of each of the characters is somehow like this, right?

(I said somehow..I really can't follow any of this.)

what about if you do something like this?

It resembles somehow an Idea I had when I was reading Nasu's Angel notes. (the aids part at least.)

___________ Background_________________________________________________________________________________________________
XX year XX place.
The human race has developed a project to unify all people' minds in one through a kind of artificial telepathy. The project is called "XXX". The project was supposed to eliminate all kinds of wars and crime since human race would be pretty much able to read other people' minds.

Because the human race's body structure is unable to do such a thing SCIENTISTS developed artificial cells which are connected by a system of satellites to a main computer in XX place.
Those artificial cells are able to reproduce and are not rejected by the human body, even though they are nano-machines.
Of course there were people against this project since humanity would lose it's individuality and there could be the posibility of a hacker taking over the main computer.

At that moment it was decided to test the project with only three people.
The scientifics should see if the test subjects would be able to manipulate of influenciate one another in some way. If that were the case the project was to be stopped immediately.

For a while everything was fine.
Only for a while though.

The cells were reproducing faster than the scientist expected them to and began to spread to other people, the testsubjects had been in contact with (like family or friends).
More and more people got the cells in their body what expanded the "net".
But it really wasn't like it was wrong or dangerous though. Actually all the people who had been "infected" by the cells were profiting from it. But this still alarmed the people who were against the project and they decided to destroy the main computer.

2 years after trying to find in vain the computer's location, the rebellion decides to look for a hacker who could destroy it's system, ANON.
Anon infiltrates the system and tries to destroy it but there s/he meets something...or a little bit more accurate, s/he meets somebody.
The unifyed conciousness of the humans connected to the "net" had given birth to something in the net, a kind of BABY.
Anon decides not to kill it since it is an innocent being but then "it" happens.

People conneted to the "net" start to die. To emit the waves which are sent to the satellites costs the human body more than the scientist had calculated, causing the brain to melt down.
Scientist determine that after being "infected" by the "cells" an average person has 3 years left before her/his brain dies.
The cells can't be destroyed after they had entered the body. The only way also to stop this is to destroy the computer and the "net" itself.
But Anon, the only one who has managed to hack the system refuses to do so. S/he changes the codes and decides to protect the "net baby".

Scientist then create digital copies of Anon (NEO ANON) which are supposed to hack the system again and destroy the net.

Filling holes in the plot.

"Why would humanity want to become one mind?"
no idea.

"Why didn't the scientist realize that problem before?"
It is like the Y2K. It only happens after a lot of time has passed and under an unique circumstance so they thought they still had time to fix that bug.

"how the heck do the cells (virus) spread?"
Pretty much like AIDS. Sex, Kisses, Contact with blood or any other fluids of an infected person.

"what happens with the normal people?"
The death of the first ones who joined the "net" caused the death of other people around them ( For instance: they were driving or something, then their brain died and because of other people got hit by their car.)
In other words, people are dying in stupid ways.

"Wouldn't that mean that the baby net would run out of members at some point?"
Yeah. It loses some members every day but it still gains some every day.
The Baby net only dies after the human race dies.

"Are animals safe?"
Yeah. The cells only work on humans, but the animals are transporters.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

So...that's it.
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

PreviousNext

Return to TYPE-MOON Fan Fiction