[art]zabaniya

Post any of your TYPE-MOON related stories, artwork, etc. This is a spoiler zone, so spoiler tags are NOT required as fan fiction is bound to be full of them. You have been warned.

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby gexer64 » November 16th, 2008, 2:44 am

I see....

I was more concerned about the shading, coloring, etc with the pictures but thanks. I will definitely check that out.
In a single answer lies a thousand questions.
gexer64
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » November 16th, 2008, 3:19 am

@xthr
about Loomis' books: Quoting Shinya from another thread:
nanaya_shinya wrote:Holy Grail!
effin' saved!
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby xthr » November 16th, 2008, 5:37 am

Oh coloring... Uhm. I dunno what to say for that. It comes pretty naturally to you if you paint normally a lot.

Oh I forgot to ask, do you have a tablet? If you don't, you are gonna have to do vector coloring, which is kinda out of my area of expertise.

Otherwise, I just used a variable hard round brush in photoshop ~size 45 or so, with spacing set to 5, size control set to pen pressure, opacity control set to pen pressure, and flow control set to pen pressure. I end up blocking all my colors in with that brush. Then I use the same settings, except with a soft round brush, and use it to blend where needed (note, make sure you know where to blend. A total lack of hard edges makes your drawing _suck_. I learned that the hard way as well).

Avoid dodge and burn. Avoid smudge and blur. They are kinda the easy way out, and most of the time they end up making your drawings... well, suck (especially dodge and burn). If you want to blend use a large fuzzy brush, and if you want to make stuff lighter or darker, use color adjustments and/or just painting over it.

Oh I just remembered a really good tutorial on digital painting >_>. Uh lemme find it. It was really good on coloring and stuff...

Aha found it after googling: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

^that one helped me a lot a year or two back. It's well written, and best of all, not boring with its many pictures (lol space filler poop).

Anyways, I still stand by what I said before, tutorials are decent, but what really helps you is drawing stuff and getting other people to critique it.
xthr
Crack Addic!

Unread postby gexer64 » November 16th, 2008, 4:49 pm

I don't have a tablet. That explains a lot. Thanks for the advice.
In a single answer lies a thousand questions.
gexer64
Crack Desu!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » November 16th, 2008, 5:30 pm

I can borrow my friend's tablet when he's not using it, though the last time I borrowed it was almost a year ago.

*browses through hardware lists*
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby xthr » November 16th, 2008, 10:12 pm

gexer64 wrote:I don't have a tablet. That explains a lot. Thanks for the advice.

if you don't have a tablet, I think the best way to do it if you don't want to learn vectors is with the selection tool and gradients. Select the area you want to color, and use a translucent gradient on screen/multiply to color stuff.

But really, if you want to do digital stuff, a tablet is a really nice investment. You can go for a cheap wacom bamboo if you just want to doodle and stuff, but the wacom intuous 3 is where it's at. I bought myself a giant one (9x12), but i kinda regret that now. The 6x8 is usually perfect for anyone, whether hobbyist or professional. It's... just kinda expensive if you actually want to buy other stuff for an year :P. It's listed as ~330$ on the wacom website, but you can probably get a used one for much less. I take mine where ever I go.

EDIT:

I finished the sacchin lineart. Want me to upload the cleaned lines? You guys can try coloring it for fun if you have the time lol :\

I got a heap of homework this weekend, so I might not get to finish coloring sacchin, but I'll do it eventually.
xthr
Crack Addic!

Unread postby xthr » November 18th, 2008, 7:24 am

Well I posted it in the art thread, but I'll mirror it here. I'm pretty much as done as I care to be with this one:

And a very special after dinner edition:

On to the next piece!
xthr
Crack Addic!

Previous

Return to TYPE-MOON Fan Fiction