Sion Fanart

Post any of your TYPE-MOON related stories, artwork, etc. This is a spoiler zone, so spoiler tags are NOT required as fan fiction is bound to be full of them. You have been warned.

Moderator: Staffers

Sion Fanart

Unread postby abscess » August 14th, 2008, 2:02 am

The guys that take some of their time to look around the netZ searching for some fanart pics to post on the Fanart Thread will most likely agree with me in this: One of the characters in the Nasuverse that receives so little attention is Sion. Since there is so little fanart easily available out there I thought of making one myself, throw it into the lion's den and see how it fares:

Please, post a critical review (or something like that), say how shitty it is and, most importantly, why you think that. The braid looks kinda odd and, along with the eyes, is the part where I had to put more attention. I thought for a moment to try my luck and paint it after scanning it, but I have almost no experience with that and I'm afraid I would just make it look like crap after playing around with it :P

The most difficult part in all the process was scanning it... that damn machine... I had to scan it I dunno how many times because most of the times it cropped the image for no apparent reason! Maybe because I did it with a pencil and didn't ink it.

Well, anyway, post something, please.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby ayadew » August 14th, 2008, 12:31 pm

Eyes are the worst part, but I know how hard they are to draw.
In your picture, they stand out too much.
The hair is the best thing, it's quite fabulous.

Other than that it's a pretty dead picture. You better go practice!
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby zweiterversuch » August 14th, 2008, 5:34 pm

ayadew wrote:Eyes are the worst part, but I know how hard they are to draw.
In your picture, they stand out too much.

I would say...it is pretty well made.
Just a few things, nothing big.
1: the lips.
They seem to be...well...ehhh...plain?
I mean they have no meat...no filling.

2: eyes, nose and mouth are off by some mm.
Wait, I will show you.

Sorry it seems like a clown now. I am really, really sorry.
I recommend you to use canon.
I mean, you should make first an sketch of it and then, if position, expression and volume are of your liking you can make the details. (like the hair. You can draw great hair man!)
Something like this:

http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby abscess » August 14th, 2008, 7:25 pm

@Ayadew

Dead picture...? Could you deepen a bit more on it, please?
Eyes are the worst part, but I know how hard they are to draw.

Hmm... odd, I actually thought that the eyes were the best part! hahahaha! Could you please say why is it that the eyes suck so much? why is it that they stand out too much and why they shouldn't?

The hair...? really...? I did put some attention in it but not so much. I just did it, that's all. The braid, as I said, proved quite difficult because I had never drew one before, in fact, I cheated and used one as some sort of model :P

@Zwei
:lol:, ya clown'd 'er! hahaha!
Anyway, yeah, the lips are kinda flat, but whenever I tried to fill them it looked like shit! so I decided to leave them be, I'll try to paint it, and see how shitty it turns out... well, maybe... if I feel like it.

Canon?... what is it? the camera/printer/some-other-gadgets brand? If I happen to run into some cash (which most likely won't happen...) I'll think about it, but I have some other more serious issues to take care about.
eyes, nose and mouth are off by some mm.

Yes, I noticed, but I had already finished when I noticed it, so... I just thought "ah! what the hell! no one will see it anyway!" Hahaha! Aaaah! Was I wrong :P
you should make first an sketch of it

Yeah... I didn't do any sort of sketch before doing this, I just started drawing and postponed it for... 2 months?... well, more or less, then took it again and finished it around... 3 days ago, I think.

Maybe it isn't a good idea to paint this picture after all... Anyway, thanks for your reviews. Please, answer the other questions if you have the time. If you can, and if you want, please, be more critical (constructive like).
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby zweiterversuch » August 14th, 2008, 8:25 pm

abscess wrote:

Canon?... what is it? the camera/printer/some-other-gadgets brand? If I happen to run into some cash (which most likely won't happen...) I'll think about it, but I have some other more serious issues to take care about.

mmmm...
canon...
Well, some centuries ago a greek sculptor, Poliklet (I don't know if everyone else knows him with other name) created a way to..."make" the human body...ehhh... " proportionally beautiful"
Anyway, he said that the ideal size of the human body is seven times the size of the subject's head, what was changed later to 8, that way the people would look thiner.

This "body canon" is useful only when you draw bodies but if you google it a little you can find some for the face.
I don't remember it very well but my friend said...he says (he isn't dead)

Frontal face:
"The width of the head is about 2/3 its height. "
"Use the eyes as a guide"

"the ear is between the eyebrown and the nose and after the middle of the head"
"The corner of the jaw is in line with the mouth"

NOTE: If you want to draw I recommend you not to use any manga tutorial on the web. I haven't seen any good so far.
It is better if you ask somebody who knows a little bit of artistic drawing. He can teach you such things and then you can change them to your style.

Besides, canon isn't for all kinds of drawing. The so called "Chibis" don't have a canon, just like Quino's drawings.

8 inches in a week!

zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby ayadew » August 14th, 2008, 8:41 pm

It's dead as in lifeless.
The eyes looks like a fish.
I just can't find any flaw in the hair.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » August 14th, 2008, 9:01 pm

@Zwei
Hmm... so canon isn't the printer's brand, eh? :D I feel like an ignorant now! :lol:
I found once the one for the body, but I never knew they were called "body canon"
Well, thanks for the pics and info, I'll try to put them in good use.
Hmm... Quino... isn't that the guy that did the "Mafalda" comics?

@Ayadew
It's dead as in lifeless.

Well... it's a picture. If it were alive I would shit bricks :P
Well, getting a bit more serious, I think that it looks rather plain because... well... it's plain, it has no painting or shading of any sort, it's like something not finished... Hmmm... Now that I think about it, it isn't finished... but since it has all those flaws, it's unlikely I'll lose my time trying to paint it now.
The eyes looks like a fish.

You mean the irises? Now that you mention it, they kinda look fishy. I didn't want to give her those big-ass irises that take most of the white of the eye so they would look more... piercing, but it seems it backfired on me :) What would you recommend me to do?
I just can't find any flaw in the hair.

Really? Well, the lock in front of her face looks kinda wierd, also the lock to her left looks kinda ugly in the region near the end.
abscess

Unread postby zweiterversuch » August 14th, 2008, 9:11 pm

abscess wrote:@Zwei
Hmm... so canon isn't the printer's brand, eh? :D I feel like an ignorant now! :lol:
I found once the one for the body, but I never knew they were called "body canon"
Well, thanks for the pics and info, I'll try to put them in good use.
Hmm... Quino... isn't that the guy that did the "Mafalda" comics?

Yes, he is the one.
he is very famous you know? I think his work was even translated to russian...

well, who cares.

Note: Nobody calls that canon "body canon". Poliklet's Canon is for the body so there is no need, I just happened to call it that way, sorry.
8 inches in a week!

zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby ayadew » August 15th, 2008, 9:00 am

Discussing taste is the definition of vanity hehe..
Her eyes takes away too much focus from the other picture, unless that is your intention? They're outlined too heavily, perhaps they represent human eyes too much in your cartoon:y style. But it's just subtle since the picture is great... Your style have to change with the eyes or change the eyes to it.
Can't really give you tips on improvement, but here's some inspiration to the latter
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby zweiterversuch » August 15th, 2008, 2:50 pm

HEY! Abcess, I will give you a little tip to create good expresions.
Do you know that paper you can see through?
I think it is called..."Transparent papier / Tracing paper" or something like that.

With that you can make a face over and over again on the same sheet of paper.
Once you do that you can change the expressions of the character so much you like.
I use that trick to the VN we weere working on.

Look:

8 inches in a week!

zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby abscess » August 15th, 2008, 11:34 pm

@Ayadew
Well, vanity is part of everyones daily lives whether we want to accept it or not ;)
I did put much attention to the eyes because there's where I usually begin and, depending on how crappy I draw the eyes, that's the effort I put into the rest of the picture, it's something I noticed I do even if I want to or not :D
As for the eyes being "too realistic" and the rest "too cartoony" you may be right, but I guess Masaki Segawa* does the same, but much, much better (obviously). Here, an example:
You can notice that the guy does some heavy work on the eyelashes, but a bit too heavy for my tastes, but I still like it :P The lips are "meaty" and faces have noses, something that doesn't happen all the times in this kind of media.

I just thought that you may be interested in knowing that.

*Manga artist of Basilisk, some sort of Romeo and Juliet with ninjas! :lol: Yeh, it sounds stupid, but it is actually quite entertaining.

@Zwei
Thanks for the tip, but I already knew of that kind of paper ;) I've never used it though, I rarely re-draw the same image, and if I do it's because the previous sucked badly. For your kind of work it would be very useful, as you already know. Nice drawing, by the way, but I still think that girl looks quite a lot like Akiha! :D but that's just my biased self babbling, so pay no attention.

Well, thank you both for your reviews and help. It did prove useful to post this. Later, mates.
abscess

Return to TYPE-MOON Fan Fiction