Kara no Kyokai movie

Chat that doesn't belong in any other TYPE-MOON catagory

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Beowulf Lee » May 21st, 2008, 9:55 pm

Phew. It wasn't as bullshit filled as I thought it would be. If Ghost in the Shell Innocence is a 100, this is treading on a steady 40. Actually, my main beef is that the characters didn't talk enough. Yes, I'm complaining about not having enough Nasu-logues.

Still, it had great animation, music, and the plot didn't feel trite or empty. A month away from the next movie...
Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread postby nobaka » May 21st, 2008, 10:10 pm

Beowulf Lee wrote:Phew. It wasn't as bullshit filled as I thought it would be. If Ghost in the Shell Innocence is a 100, this is treading on a steady 40. Actually, my main beef is that the characters didn't talk enough. Yes, I'm complaining about not having enough Nasu-logues.

Still, it had great animation, music, and the plot didn't feel trite or empty. A month away from the next movie...

Right now, I'd kill for that screencap of Shirou going "People die when they are killed."
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Beowulf Lee » May 21st, 2008, 11:54 pm

Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread postby NightFoxXIII » May 22nd, 2008, 6:40 am

Thx to gg Fansubs and TakaJun for releasing the first movie. I enjoyed a lot and thanks to ArchDemon too for the patch.

Can't wait for the next movies!

Shall go buy the DVD's too when I get money -.-''
NightFoxXIII
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby Infoceptor » May 22nd, 2008, 9:45 am

ayadew wrote:Music was fantastic. Characters great. Plot filled with your general Nasu bullshit (alot of bullshit this time, but its the first episode and much is unclear).
I really like Shiki and the general feeling, it's very much like Ghost in the Shell
(further added by tohkos dolls)
or Ergo Proxy.
Slow and pleasant speed. It's a work of quality, that's for sure. But it's not omgz so far. But there's a high chance it will be.

Also "yay Takajun"!

Alright, i hope i'm not the only one who didn't really understand what was going on. I never read any of the chapter translations so that could definitely be contibuting but a movie should be able to stand alone right? I have no beef with the animation/music/atmosphere but as for the overall plot? It felt way too vague. If anyone could explain to me in general what happened, the themes, the ghosts, etc., i'd appreciate it.
Infoceptor
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Miraploy » May 22nd, 2008, 9:51 am

Infoceptor wrote:
ayadew wrote:Music was fantastic. Characters great. Plot filled with your general Nasu bullshit (alot of bullshit this time, but its the first episode and much is unclear).
I really like Shiki and the general feeling, it's very much like Ghost in the Shell
(further added by tohkos dolls)
or Ergo Proxy.
Slow and pleasant speed. It's a work of quality, that's for sure. But it's not omgz so far. But there's a high chance it will be.

Also "yay Takajun"!

Alright, i hope i'm not the only one who didn't really understand what was going on. I never read any of the chapter translations so that could definitely be contibuting but a movie should be able to stand alone right? I have no beef with the animation/music/atmosphere but as for the overall plot? It felt way too vague. If anyone could explain to me in general what happened, the themes, the ghosts, etc., i'd appreciate it.

Spoilers in new thread please.
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Unread postby JimmyT64 » May 22nd, 2008, 10:56 am

Infoceptor wrote:Alright, i hope i'm not the only one who didn't really understand what was going on. I never read any of the chapter translations so that could definitely be contibuting but a movie should be able to stand alone right? I have no beef with the animation/music/atmosphere but as for the overall plot? It felt way too vague. If anyone could explain to me in general what happened, the themes, the ghosts, etc., i'd appreciate it.

You've got to remember, this is the first movie of 7(?), so confusion will be cleared up later. Hopefully.

As it is, it stands on its own as a slightly nonsensical but very, very pretty movie.
Tsukihime drinking game. 1. Every time a word or a phrase is repeated 3 or more times, take a drink (eg. This chair).
2. Every time Shiki claims not to understand something already explained, take a drink
3. Every time Shiki doesn't realize someone is hitting on him, take a drink.
4. Every time someone who should be dead, isn't, take a drink.
5. Every time Shiki does something ridiculous with points\lines.
JimmyT64
Might just like this board

Unread postby ehrik » May 22nd, 2008, 7:12 pm

Very pretty movie, and I liked how

they "showed" Ryougi's eyes of death perception with the orange lines and distorted view :p

And a quick question, R. Shiki's knife/super small sword, is it called anything special like S.tohno's nanatsu yoru?
ehrik
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby deathknight » May 23rd, 2008, 12:01 am

Beowulf Lee wrote:http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/640/snapshot20080521194753wn7.jpg

Wow so
people die if they are killed.
I didn't know that. :D

As for Shiki's fight scene... meh. Nanaya can still own her ass.
deathknight
Addict

Unread postby Miraploy » May 23rd, 2008, 12:14 am

The movie is so gosh darn mediocre. Just like the anime Tsukihime. Oh well!
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Infoceptor » May 23rd, 2008, 9:07 am

Read the synopsis for the first episode on moonlit world which helped a little. The actual events make more sense now though, truth be told, i still don't understand some of the dialog or the overall theme. That being said, the music and vocals for the movie really are perfect. Could anyone tell me what the intro song was? Thanks.
Infoceptor
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby ayadew » May 23rd, 2008, 2:55 pm

Miraploy wrote:The movie is so gosh darn mediocre. Just like the anime Tsukihime. Oh well!

Hmm, "there is no Kara no Kyokai anime."?
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Beowulf Lee » May 23rd, 2008, 5:16 pm

Miraploy wrote:The movie is so gosh darn mediocre. Just like the anime Tsukihime. Oh well!

What? Is that a troll over thar?
Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Enigma » May 23rd, 2008, 6:43 pm

I had to.
Enigma
Addict

Unread postby Miraploy » May 23rd, 2008, 9:56 pm

Beowulf Lee wrote:

What? Is that a troll over thar?

Uh, at least disagree instead of making a hopelessly ad hominem flame.

I was only articulating what everyone is thinking.
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Maes » May 24th, 2008, 1:21 am

I don't know if I'd call it mediocre though. It was above average, but nothing spectacular aside from the glorious
Shiki fighting sequence.

I guess I'm saying that it's a good setup for the rest of the films, so we'll see what comes of it over the course of things.
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby animefanzmg » May 24th, 2008, 3:14 am

i showed it to 2 people who both said they didn't really understand waht was going on.

i thought it was good, did a pretty good job of converting what were once thoughts into actions of the characters. like kokuto's smile right before he says that line about shiki being a girl.

the movie's probubly pretty worthless standalone but then again it is only 50 minutes and was based on one chapter from a novel. i'm very much looking forward to movie 2 in a month and the rest later.
it seems like it might end up being better to watch movie 2 first.
animefanzmg
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Inverted » May 24th, 2008, 6:18 am

Well I liked the movie. But then I have read the translation of that chapter so I kind of knew what was happening.

Its a pretty movie indeed. I liked the soundtrack too.Its just the first movie too. At least they didn't butcher it like Tsukihime anime or the infamous CG Dragon.
Inverted
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » May 24th, 2008, 8:06 am

Enigma wrote:

I had to.

Holy SHIET!! That OWNS, mah-boi!

First of all, I don't think it's a good idea to call this a "movie" since it could be much better described as a chapter in a mini-series, perhaps as a pilot to introduce the whole bunk of story afterwards. A movie, as already said somewhere before, should be able to stand on it's own, this can't do it without wobbling and maybe falling, but if considered as part of a mini-series you can pass by some of the moments that make you say "whoa! what was that?!" and expect them to be clarified in some other later chapter.

Getting past that. I have never read ANYTHING about Kara no Kyoukai since I tried to get without any kind of bias or prejudice to the movie (at first I was waiting until the WHOLE novel was translated but don't know when that will happen...). Since I have, at the moment, zero knowledge about the book I can say that I didn't find that hard to understand the stuff that was happening on the "chapter". I did have those moments of "wait a sec..." like, for example:
- Why did this Fujyo girl was able to use that power?
- Who gave her that other self for her to play with?
- Is that mystery guy someone really important or just some unmentioned character that will stay as that?
- What did Fujyo did to Mikiya to put him in a strange coma?

There was, for me, a bit of underdevelopment on the part of the characters, I'll name the most notable of them:
- No one says what Shiki is able to see explicitly
- How is it that Tohko is so good with mechanical limbs and dolls and all that?
- What "power" does Mikiya possess?
- Are Shiki and Mikiya a couple or just really close friends?

All of those questions can be answered in following eps. so I'm not too worried.

People should have in mind that this is ONLY an ep. and not bash it just because they couldn't get it at the first run. The same goes as over-praising it, most of us (I guess) have only seen this first ep. so we should wait a bit and see if it starts to suck or maintains the same quality and if the series does go deeper into character and situation development.

I am very optimistic with this series, even if I think it lacks a bit more dialogues but I think it's on the right way to be an addictive series with something new, different and interesting to show the audience. I really, really, REALLY hope this doesn't turn out as the Tsukihime fanime...

P.S: Anyone knows when the other DVD is out?
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Miraploy » May 24th, 2008, 4:08 pm

I'm fine with the many elements being unexplained (though it would be as if the New Hope failed to explain what the force was... but w/e), but the writers made some pretty elementary mistakes.

We have no character development on the villain. She's a complete unknown entity until we see her toward the end, talking with Touko. Then she's suddenly sobbing and being emphatic. Are we supposed to sympathize with her? If so, then the writer failed in that regard completely, we don't. We had no idea who she was or why we should care about her. The point is, you need to have character development before you can have a moment like that.

The characters are all so sullen and quiet, there's not one shred of personality. If this movie was a pilot that's supposed to introduce the characters/situation or make us want to watch more, well it didn't really succeed either. In 50 minutes they managed to give a completely non-sensical philosophical lesson on floating and flying (the whole thing is actually based on a number of logical fallacies, but what the heck), lots of platitudes, and did not introduce the characters nor the world. As a result, there is no desire from anyone other than already fans like us to watch more.

Someone stated that this wasn't really a movie... Well, I agree and disagree. I think it should've been a movie, I think it was supposed to be a movie. It was distributed stand-alone on DVD, it was in theaters, the separation between episodes is quite long (3 months or so, though we'll get the first few in a space of a month), and they marketed it as a movie. However, like many people stated, it simply lacks the coherence to be a movie.

There were some good points though, Shiki kicking ass was a good watch, though it's far from glorious. Scenes from any decent anime match it, including the fight between Roa and Shiki in the Tsukihime anime, not to mention way cooler stuff from Gundam and the like. The music was also good, but again Tsukihime had good music as well.

I think as the series go on, it will turn out to be better than Tsukihime, simply because the original novel is linear, and because I trust Nasu to have written a good story. But as far as this first DVD goes, it's just not that good. Also note the thinness of the plot. The entire movie can be summarized in 3-4 sentences, including all the 'details' like the ice cream and her arm. A movie that lacks plot is usually heavily character driven, but we don't see that here. There's a lot of things wrong with Gardens, and at this point I can't really recommend it to any of my friends.
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

PreviousNext

Return to General TYPE-MOON Chat