A question concerning the author's writing

Chat that doesn't belong in any other TYPE-MOON catagory

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Pierrot » June 25th, 2007, 6:11 pm

You might be aware that in Japanese kanji generally accepted as difficult to read are printed with tiny letters of hiragana next to them to signify what they read. This can be (mis)used so a reader is forced to read a certain kanji in an entirely new and different way, resulting in a sort of hybrid that gives off an entirely unique nuance.

The merit of his writing style is something that seems to be debated heavily even amongst fans in Japan, like whether his work is a Light Novel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_novel or if it qualifies as more heavier fair.

Strictly from a critical standpoint it's safe to say he's given no recognition in an academic sense whatsoever. Think... I don't know either, H.P. Lovecraft.
Last edited by Pierrot on June 25th, 2007, 7:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-----------------The body is a sword.
The blood is iron, the heart of glass.
Over countless battlefields undefeated.
Never once to flee,
And never once to be understood.
Atop the hill of swords she drinks the dregs of victory in her solitude.

Therefore her lifetime held no meaning,
and I’m sure her body was a sword.
Pierrot
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Ryuusoul » June 25th, 2007, 6:28 pm

Nasu never provides furigana based on the "difficulty" of the kanji. He only provides it in the first way that Pierrot mentions, for a shift in nuance. I wouldn't consider his works Light Novels.
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby Pierrot » June 25th, 2007, 9:03 pm

Nasu never provides furigana based on the "difficulty" of the kanji

Indeed. It used to give me no end of grief flipping through my kanwa jiten looking for some of the stuff I found in his writings as a junior high student.. feh.

Ah, I'm sorry if I'm making an ass out of myself, but do you not mean second?

On a wide enough definition even Wataya Risa is sometimes labeled light novel, and her writing was on my college exams D: Though I do agree Nasu Kinoko certainly transcends the light novel fare...

-----------------The body is a sword.
The blood is iron, the heart of glass.
Over countless battlefields undefeated.
Never once to flee,
And never once to be understood.
Atop the hill of swords she drinks the dregs of victory in her solitude.

Therefore her lifetime held no meaning,
and I’m sure her body was a sword.
Pierrot
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Xavier » June 25th, 2007, 9:18 pm

Wow, is Japanese harder to learn and understand than English?

Because, you know, all of this making up kanji or whatever really confuses the fuck out of me. =p
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Beowulf Lee » June 26th, 2007, 4:46 pm

Xavier wrote:Wow, is Japanese harder to learn and understand than English?

Because, you know, all of this making up kanji or whatever really confuses the fuck out of me. =p

For a western mind that has only known western languages, I would say yes, Japanese is damn hard to learn.
Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Eriol-kun » June 27th, 2007, 5:53 pm

If you compare it with English, yeah.

Although, having a basis with Spanish already made it easier to grasp in a way (simplicity of Japanese compared with European-based languages, pronunciation, etc...)
Eriol-kun
Crack Addic!

Unread postby PacifistGod » July 25th, 2007, 4:53 pm

Eriol-kun wrote:If you compare it with English, yeah.

Although, having a basis with Spanish already made it easier to grasp in a way (simplicity of Japanese compared with European-based languages, pronunciation, etc...)

I disagree. Spanish is very close to English, while Japanese has an entirely different sentence structure, written alphabet, politeness levels, and pronunciation. To learn Japanese, you have to take on a lot of tasks simultaneously. Having taken ~6 years of Spanish before I started Japanese didn't really help me. It's not impossible to learn, it's just more work then most other languages.
PacifistGod
Might just like this board

Unread postby Eriol-kun » August 3rd, 2007, 1:07 am

I get what you mean, but I meant it that if you took two different instances:

1) You have a background in Spanish and then try to learn Japanese
2) You have a background in English and then try to learn Japanese

Instance 1 would be much more helpful. For example, there are some levels of courtesy in Spanish (Besides the ones also used in English) while there are very limited ones in English... pronunciation in English is much more slurry while Spanish is crisp (Like Japanese).

But I know what you're trying to say. It sure is not that easy to transgress from a Western language to an Eastern one, but I found many similarities that made things a little bit easier to grasp with my knowledge and experience with Spanish. I think that if I only knew English those things would've been much tougher and would've taken more work and comprehension.

In case you're wondering, I'm a native Spanish speaker, but I've lived with English throughout my whole scholar life. You might've noticed it in my sleazy grammar: I tend to mix up a little with the passive tense due to Spanish, eheh...
Eriol-kun
Crack Addic!

Previous

Return to General TYPE-MOON Chat