Question regarding standardization of terms.

Chat that doesn't belong in any other TYPE-MOON catagory

Moderator: Staffers

Question regarding standardization of terms.

Unread postby Ephyon » May 4th, 2007, 4:22 pm

In an effort to try and make Wikipedia?s TYPE-MOON-related articles into an actually comprehensive source that doesn?t require having read everything on Moonlit World and Arai?s wiki beforehand, I?m trying to expand several sections. First on the list is spellcasting, probably the most volatile in respect to standardization.

I?ve already asked on your choice for Mahou/Majutsu, but before trying to get a consensus, seeing how your translations are what the majority of future fans will probably enter in contact with, I?d also like to know what you chose to translate Maryoku (魔力) as.

Sorry to bother and, though it?s somewhat out of place, thank you all for your work.
Ephyon
Might just like this board

Unread postby Message » May 4th, 2007, 5:25 pm

You may find this thread interesting. I cannot guarantee that all terms ended up as such in our final work however, so if you're in doubt you'll have to ask again. Ryuusoul or one of the other translators should know.

Unread postby Ephyon » May 4th, 2007, 5:57 pm

I had seen that already, but since there had obviously been changes since then (It puts Mahou as magic, whereas the current translations use Sorcery instead) and the usage of Mana for Maryoku in there is pretty troublesome (It fits from the dictionary definition, but Nasu restricted the term to environmental energy only), I decided to ask anyway.
Ephyon

Unread postby Ryuusoul » May 4th, 2007, 9:43 pm

Maryoku = magical energy

Mana and Od are used wherever there is furigana stating it should be pronounced that way.
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby Ephyon » May 4th, 2007, 10:59 pm

I see, that's the one I thought would be most appropriate as well. Thank you very much.
Ephyon

Return to General TYPE-MOON Chat