AoG Magecraft and modern magecraft

Chat that doesn't belong in any other TYPE-MOON catagory

Moderator: Staffers

AoG Magecraft and modern magecraft

Unread postby SolarAdept » July 14th, 2009, 9:41 am

Just how much of a difference is there between them? Imean, sure, AoG magecraft uses Divine Words for activation instead of self-hypnosis(for circuits to work) and it's a load stronger, but just HOW MUCH have the concepts behind magecraft changed?

A guy in a different forum made the comparison to the difference between quantum physics and physics. Just how good is that comparison IYO?
Fate/World Providence - A site dedicated to it's Grail War RP.
SolarAdept
Crack Addic!

Re: AoG Magecraft and modern magecraft

Unread postby XgenAdam » July 23rd, 2009, 11:25 pm

what does AoG stand for? and what kind of magic is it?

also where has it been mentioned?
XgenAdam
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby abscess » July 24th, 2009, 5:11 am

Age of Gods.
That said, I don't know. Probably Nasu never said explicitly. And using a physics and quantum physics comparison, I'm not sure either; I'm not comfortable with that comparison, to say the least....
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Keeper of Gil's Vault » July 24th, 2009, 7:07 am

I am not even sure I firmly grasp all the theories related to quantum physics, let alone comparing and contrasting the differences between physics/quantum physics, and ancient/modern sorcery. According to Fuyuki ancient sorcery is more powerful due to the fact that during the Age of Gods, humans and Gods mingled more freely, which led to humans having a better awareness of divine mysteries. The current magi are more secluded, thus "fallen" and lost the knowledge of the ancients. A better analogy would simply be a dying art/craft.
Are we Beast's Lair Lite? Are we?!
Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Mazyrian » July 25th, 2009, 2:03 pm

I remember that another difference is that now the words for the spells are just self-hypnosis and have no real power, while in AoG words themselves had power.
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread postby SolarAdept » July 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Exactly that. I am wondering if AoG magecraft had any more differences than just method of spell casting, like different concepts or theories.
SolarAdept
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Keeper of Gil's Vault » July 26th, 2009, 12:08 am

Mazyrian wrote:I remember that another difference is that now the words for the spells are just self-hypnosis and have no real power, while in AoG words themselves had power.

Interesting... so what you are saying is that, someone with 0 active circuit but knows divine language can rain destruction with rank A spells?
Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread postby SolarAdept » July 26th, 2009, 2:51 pm

In AoG, everyone had 0 circuits. Circuits were developed later to use mana for spells due to the loss of Divine Words. Divine Words is a totally different system of magecraft, separate from Magic Circuits.
SolarAdept
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Keeper of Gil's Vault » July 27th, 2009, 1:28 am

Can I ask where did you get this from? Source on this statement?
Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread postby SolarAdept » July 28th, 2009, 4:06 pm

Thaumaturgy from the age of the gods when words themselves carried power, whereas modern incantations are just means of self-hypnosis to work one's circuits.

Since the words are the ones that carry out the operation, circuits are simply not needed.

Sure, the circuits on the soul were always present(souls don't change that much over time) but nature has a habit of excluding things that are unnecessary functions. The physical manifestation probably appeared later, due to evolution working it's magic.

Also, this thread's purpose is speculation, not throwing facts around. Or rather, we've got no facts, so we need to use our brains for a change and figure out plausible theories. It's easy to push canon info into someone's nose in reply to things, but try to use your imagination and common sense, will ya.
SolarAdept
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Keeper of Gil's Vault » July 28th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Speculations and "common sense" frequently lead to unnecessary arguments and flame-wars, because "everyone deserves his/her own opinion". Nothing besides the canon can silence the most stubborn debaters. My policy is either the opposing sides provide canon evidence to backup their arguments, or what they have stated simply do not contribute anything to the topic. Shoving canon in people's faces and providing explanations when necessary is simply the most efficient way to do things around here in my opinion (sadly sometimes people even refuse to accept canon, but those instances are rare).
Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread postby SolarAdept » July 28th, 2009, 8:23 pm

We DON'T have canon about AoG magery. That's what fanon is for.
SolarAdept
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Xanathos » August 7th, 2009, 6:37 am

Incantation variations

High-Speed Divine Words

高速神言 - Kousoku Shingon

The ability to activate thaumaturgy without the connection of incantations/circuits. The words from the era of gods, back when words played a heavy role in the actualization of mysteries. As a result, pronunciation is impossible by modern humans.

Incantations necessary for the connection of oneself to the outside world don't have to be used. To the person with divine words, spellcasting isn't so much an incantation, but a direct command.

At Caster's level of Divine Words, high thaumaturgy can be cast in a single action.

(Probably the words themselves ARE the thaumaturgy, not just the process.)

At Caster's level of Divine Words, high thaumaturgy can be cast in a single action.

(Probably the words themselves ARE the thaumaturgy, not just the process.)

Stolen from fuyuki wiki, an awesome website of source material.

http://tatari.110mb.com/fuyuki/
Xanathos
Crack Addic!

Return to General TYPE-MOON Chat