People die when they are killed.

Chat that doesn't belong in any other TYPE-MOON catagory

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » March 20th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Zeke wrote:Side note: the official dub goes with something like "When people are hurt badly enough, they die."

It because they didn't want to continue on with the meme though. Although if would of been funny if they did though. Also, even the official sub did pretty much the same thing, since they didn't want it to go against most "Powerleveled" animes that had it where a character isn't killed even if he died. It was like the only way a character would die is plot devices.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby ILPPendant » March 20th, 2009, 9:07 pm

Zeke wrote:For the benefit of ILP: in episode 23 of the Fate anime, Shirou says something that got fansubbed back in '06 as "People die when they are killed... that's the way it should be." We got what he meant, but the first half sounded so hilariously dumb it became a meme. That meme grew into a whole "Shirou states the obvious" thing.

But in fact, Shirou was being witty (in a Shirou kind of way). The line isn't just logical in context, it's also a reference to this Japanese cliche about people who are so tough they "wouldn't die even if you killed them". Turns out that line can be found in lots of anime. So this thread is for examples of it.

Side note: the official dub goes with something like "When people are hurt badly enough, they die."

Ah thank you. I rather suspected that was the linguistic case but I don't feel comfortable unless I have someone confirm things, as you have done so eloquently. Just my paranoid streak acting up, I suppose.

I'm pretty surprised professional translations are doing it as well though, it's practically a non sequitur when taken directly into English.
Do not attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by irony.
ILPPendant
Might just like this board

Unread postby Tessara » March 28th, 2009, 7:31 pm

Found a picture in a manga the other day that seems to fit this rather well.

DearS Vol. 7 p.31 if anyone's interested
Tessara
Addict

Unread postby Kuuya/Fabre » March 29th, 2009, 9:20 am

I guess this is a subject that even the Shikis couldn't kill O_O.

*Tohno Shiki stabs the subject's point of death*

Shiki - Dammit! It won't die no matter how much I killed it!
Kuuya/Fabre
Addict

Unread postby Arayashiki » April 3rd, 2009, 12:37 pm

Kuuya/Fabre wrote:I guess this is a subject that even the Shikis couldn't kill O_O.

Maybe the subject isn't from earth, or maybe it's Arcueid.
Arayashiki

Unread postby Kikuchi » April 3rd, 2009, 1:20 pm

Arayashiki wrote:
Kuuya/Fabre wrote:I guess this is a subject that even the Shikis couldn't kill O_O.

Maybe the subject isn't from earth, or maybe it's Arcueid.
Oh, but she DIED. It's just not long enough. :lol:
Maybe if we burn her remains (like in Twilight) she won't revive ever again? :lol:
When will I get my 1337th post?
Kikuchi
Crack Desu!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » April 3rd, 2009, 1:33 pm

"He won't die even if you killed him." is more like an overused line just to say "He won't die easily." if you ask me.

Even so, I still don't have an idea why it became a meme.
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » April 3rd, 2009, 2:04 pm

I think that became a meme just because of those so called "Powerleveled" anime series tend to have it where characters don't die even if they are supposed to in reality. They just get deadafied but then suddenly get an uber broken power after they've recovered, but then the power is either a one time only deal or it gets nerfed after its first use. Or it could be hard to master after figguring out how to use it, or creatin conditions must be met for that matter.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby zweiterversuch » April 3rd, 2009, 5:40 pm

you know...

I have always wondered which is the most unbelievable anime ever...

I mean, not because of the plot but because of the apparently immortal main charas and their extreme luck and came to this:

Saint seiya,

Jojo's bizarre adventure

new grappler baki

Those are the most unbelievable series ever made by human hand...

The main charas won't die even if killed.
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby Kikuchi » April 4th, 2009, 12:40 am

zweiterversuch wrote:The main charas won't die even if killed.
Balthier wrote:"Princess! No need to worry. I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies."
:lol:
When will I get my 1337th post?
Kikuchi
Crack Desu!

Unread postby zweiterversuch » April 4th, 2009, 12:53 am

Kikuchi wrote:
zweiterversuch wrote:The main charas won't die even if killed.
Balthier wrote:"Princess! No need to worry. I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies."
:lol:

Goku dies.

he was resurrected afterwards but he dies.

and well...I mean...goku is an alien.
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby Chaos Chaud » April 4th, 2009, 3:02 am

Well, in tales of the abyss you turn into "dust", but characters that aren't supposed to die yet can always join dust particles that were dispersed by a freaking STORM, and reconstruct their WHOLE body again.
Chaos Chaud
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kuuya/Fabre » April 4th, 2009, 11:29 am

In any manga/anime, the protagonist would only meet true, irreversible when the publisher/company ends the series...

Or when the artist/writer dies >.>

No, really. <.<
Kuuya/Fabre
Addict

Unread postby Anium » April 4th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Gantz killed the main, and then resurrected him because of fans attemps of murder.
Anium

Unread postby Xamdou » April 4th, 2009, 12:54 pm

Attempt of murder?!

*scream and run*
"You sit proudly in this cave , like a Queen of Egypt.
In my service to you , I shall never know rest.
To prove my devotion , I have stolen this ostentatious offering.
But I'll show you things your dark blue eye haven't seen , smiles like a lake in the sun , blossoming like a lotus."
Xamdou
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Arayashiki » April 5th, 2009, 10:44 pm

Anium wrote:Gantz killed the main, and then resurrected him because of fans attemps of murder.

Ahh fans, the only thing that is truly scarier than death. I see the author did the right thing, that is giving in to the fans
Arayashiki

Unread postby nobaka » April 6th, 2009, 12:35 am

Arayashiki wrote:
Anium wrote:Gantz killed the main, and then resurrected him because of fans attemps of murder.

Ahh fans, the only thing that is truly scarier than death. I see the author did the right thing, that is giving in to the fans

There was a similar shitstorm with Kannagi, although it seems it was only one very disturbed fan.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » April 6th, 2009, 8:14 am

nobaka wrote:
Arayashiki wrote:

There was a similar shitstorm with Kannagi, although it seems it was only one very disturbed fan.

Hmmm... really? I thought there were several that went crazy because the character of kannagi had a boyfriend before the start of the series, or so I've heard.
Sadly sick fan-boyism won't die, even with someone's death.
*points at Hiromu Minato's case*
warning: Link has adult material inside. Discretion and maturity are to be taken into account before visitng it.
Edit: Ahahahaha!!! Forgot rule 3 of the forum!
Do not post or link to adult content of any kind unless related directly to a translation project.

That specific part of sankaku complex doesn't have umm... explicit "action", but I editted it out just in case....
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Re: People die when they are killed.

Unread postby Catastrophe » September 8th, 2009, 8:43 pm

oh shit run!! ZOMBIE THREAD!!

Deus X Machina Manga Ch 8 Page 17
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Re:

Unread postby Iiyo » September 18th, 2009, 12:36 am

abscess wrote:.... Japanese writers seem quite fond of that one line, I wonder why?

It's a Japanese expression. You know how there are people who seem so vigorous that it's unthinkable they would ever die? In Japan they have an expression for it: people that won't die even when they're killed. That's why it's such a common and popular phrase among Japanese writers.

Shirou's use of the line was actually meant to be a clever way of turning the expression upside down, but the end result was something so blatantly obvious, so completely silly, it became unintentionally hilarious. I think the meme started here at YTMND. The title and music adds a nice touch to it all.
Iiyo

PreviousNext

Return to General TYPE-MOON Chat