Kara no Kyoukai thoughts/review

Chat that doesn't belong in any other TYPE-MOON catagory

Moderator: Staffers

Kara no Kyoukai thoughts/review

Unread postby Sepheriel » August 14th, 2008, 12:22 am

I just got done watching movies 1-3 and I felt like sharing my thoughts on what I saw.

The first think I will mention is the animation and art. Wow. Just a huge resounding wow. I have never seen animation and art of that quality before. Truly awe-inspiring and jaw-dropping. I had never heard of ufotable before but now I'm amazed I hadn't. I feel that this is what animation should be. Characters were consistently well done and the environments and background were extremely detailed along with weather effects. You just have to see it because words can't capture it.

Secondly, the music and voice acting. Yuki Kajiura brings the perfect type of music to merge with the movies. Just a phenomenal soundtrack that captures each of the corresponding moments in each of the movies and brings them together with their musical counterparts. Some of the best compositions I've heard for animated movies. The ending themes are just as amazing. The voice acting is superb as you'd expect, with each seiyuu bringing their character and his/her personality to life.

Lastly, the story and plot. I'm not going to spoil anything but so far the story is really good. I say this knowing that there are 4 more movies coming out that will explain things that are unknown after the first 3 movies. I actually can't wait to see the next 4 since there are many questions unanswered. Each of the main characters in each movie has aspects that makes him or her intriguing to the viewer, but since so little of each character is revealed each movie, it keeps you wanting to know more. Hence why I want to see the rest of the movies as soon as they are released.

After watching, I felt that Tsukihime should have gotten the same kind of treatment as Kara no Kyoukai in all aspects. To see what can be done with Kinoko Nasu's work when put into animation is pretty amazing and to see Tsukihime not get the same kind of care makes me disappointed. I haven't seen the F/SN anime yet but I'm sure it won't compare to the Kara no Kyoukai movies, though it'll be better than the Tsukihime anime I'm sure.

Well that about does it. I put down what I was thinking so, please, do the same, but with respect to others' opinions.
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ayadew » August 14th, 2008, 12:28 pm

As much as I want to like it, I feel Kara isn't a story of the mainstream. I fear it will flop pretty heavily. Compare it to Fate, there you got a simple story with some action and drama, easy to swallow. Kara on the other hand: complex philosophy, on the brink of true bullshit (most things Aoko say are, failing at logic many times) and the story itself is filled with holes unless you've read the original story.
This is only for the hardcore Nasu fans. That doesn't work well with marketing.

As an anime series, it's a failure so far, how much I ever want to like it. But I'll continue watch it, because I LOVE Kajura and the quality of the animation.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Kansho » August 14th, 2008, 12:50 pm

So far got good critics, so I don't think that you can call it a failure. The first movie was "strange" indeed, but the first chapter is a "strange" one indeed.

I think that chapter 2 and 3 movies were pretty consistent, adaptation-wise.
見せかけの自分はそっと捨ててただありのままで
misekake no jibun ha sotto sutete tada ari no mama de -
Throw away the "fake me" quietly and just be myself.
Kansho
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » August 14th, 2008, 6:57 pm

Kansho wrote:So far got good critics, so I don't think that you can call it a failure. The first movie was "strange" indeed, but the first chapter is a "strange" one indeed.

I think that chapter 2 and 3 movies were pretty consistent, adaptation-wise.

I agree. In episode 3 you already know the needed basics of the main characters so, at that moment, you don't have the need to deepen them any more but to put a "villain" of sorts to create a conflict and see how the characters fare, what is it that they really do as a job and in their everyday lives. Yes, there needs to be more character development, and from the preview for the 4th episode it appears that we will have it. I haven't told any friend about this movie series so I wouldn't know how it would fare with the common audience, but my brother, who is far from being a Nasu-fan of any kind, liked it from the beginning (but he tends to like weird movies too :P).

I kinda agree with Ayadew in that it isn't for everyone to see, but I disagree that it is only for the hardcore Nasu-fans. For people interested in something strange, entertaining and mildly philosophical at times this series may prove enjoyable. For the people who only want to see cars crashing, explosions and macho-guys carrying big-guns with the damsel in distress at his side it won't be interesting at all.

As sad as it makes me accept it, if shown in theaters here it WILL be a failure, a flop, a bomb, whatever other adjective you wanna give it, but on DVD sales it may be successful, supposing it gets the right advertisement program. It could also prove to be successful if it was to be aired in anime-channels or in anime-blocks in other channels, again, supposing it gets the right advertisement.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Shikiller » August 15th, 2008, 5:49 am

it's too weird so far, the philosophy is pretentious and ilogical at times, and the characters and plot are too hard to understand. It's a must to have previous knowledge about the novels to fully understand the stories.
The animation and OST are awesome.
Shikiller
Crack Desu!

Unread postby AlinSabel » August 15th, 2008, 6:05 am

There are people I know who want to see them after seeing the fight scenes over my shoulder, but I've told them to either read Tsukihime, the translations of the novels... or to wait for all seven movies to be subbed. <_>
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » August 15th, 2008, 6:56 am

Shikiller wrote:it's too weird so far, the philosophy is pretentious and ilogical at times, and the characters and plot are too hard to understand. It's a must to have previous knowledge about the novels to fully understand the stories.
The animation and OST are awesome.

Yeah, the philosophy feels a bit pretentious at times, let's accept it, almost no one talks like that:
-Oh! she probably couldn't fly that moment!
-A wound that may never heal but will always ache! that is the kind of scar she bears!
(I just typed some stuff that came to my mind that somehow resemble some parts of the story, don't think of them as carbon copies of actual spoken lines)

And the list could go on and on, but hey! let's face it, it's supposed to be a bit theatrical at times, maybe even corny. I think that's part of the attractive factor of the movie, at least to me.

As for illogical philosophy, I did find it understandable most, if not all, of the times, so there are no drawbacks in the "understandbility" department (I have no idea if that word exists, I think not). The plot is quite easy to follow, you only have to pay attention to what is happening and what has happened before, with that knowledge you can pretty much order it as it is meant to be. I don't think that one has to have read the novels to like and understand this series, in fact I have only read the first chapter after watching the first episode, and I have watched all three eps. It could help to know that this is based ina novel, so as to know what to expect, a story that may feel a bit choppy at times.

Overall, I think this is a good miniseries, but you can't consider each one of them as a stand-alone movie, or else it will suck, badly. I'm afraid that, to the common crowd, it would have to be watched all 7 in a row to understand it enough and like it. But most important, as I said before, this can't be considered your average miniseries, you have to have a liking for weird things or else this will be boring and uninteresting at most, if not considered just pure shit.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Keeper of Gil's Vault » September 15th, 2008, 4:39 am

The series demands too much background knowledge, and the shuffled temporal order does not help either. I have no problem understand the content, but that is after reading through Tsukihime, Fate, and trolling the various forums and ingesting massive amounts of spoiler. I would not be surprised if people deem it a failure as a theatrical piece. They should have really done something about the order of narration, and set the events in chronological order, but then again, that would be unfaithful to the original work. The art is well done, very well done. For most fans, simply seeing Shiki in action is well worth it.
Keeper of Gil's Vault
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » September 15th, 2008, 3:59 pm

I think it's awesome, and i just read some 2 chapters of the novel... can't wait for more.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Wiiown » October 21st, 2008, 8:48 pm

While I agree some of the philosophy gives off that pretentious (and sometimes nonsensical) aura, I didn't have trouble following the movies at all and I've never read the books, only random synopsis and a basic understanding of whats going on.

I read tsukihime and (all but HF) fate, maybe thats why it was easy to follow?

Hell, I thought haruhi was a harder anime to follow because nobody told me about the broadcasting order vs. chronological. Also I agree with that other poster who mentioned the art, so awesome.
Wiiown
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Beowulf Lee » October 26th, 2008, 4:06 am

The guy who directed the 3rd movie obviously does not know how to do fight scenes. I suppose its good they're using a different director for each movie since if they fuck up one, the others still have a chance.
Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Icez » October 28th, 2008, 1:45 pm

So far I have enjoyed the first 3 installments. I read about the last two "movies" (seem like ova to me, even if there released in theaters) apparently the majority of the action elements are yet to come. It is the fact that it is complicated and sets a certain mood that attracts me the most to this series and it does give me a similar feel to tsukihime. Its hard to find anime that are this dark and deep.

Shiki's eyes are amazing to >_<
- Icez
Icez
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 28th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Mm, really, it kinda makes Tohno seem bad by comparison. She kicks so much ass and and has none of the bad side effects.(Well, that I've seen so far)

I've only seen the first two...cmon SHS.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Wiiown » October 28th, 2008, 11:34 pm

Mkilbride wrote:Mm, really, it kinda makes Tohno seem bad by comparison. She kicks so much ass and and has none of the bad side effects.(Well, that I've seen so far)

I've only seen the first two...cmon SHS.
Other than that rascally split personality disorder....but I guess Tohno/Nanaya had that too so she still has a leg up.
Wiiown
Crack Addic!

Unread postby suki-gin » October 29th, 2008, 7:31 am

I've started on the novel first and I'm in the process of receiving the movies.
She definitely seems better in character than Tohno.

Anyone else feel like eating Haagen-Daz or buying the GSC figurines already?
suki-gin
Totally hardly posted

Return to General TYPE-MOON Chat