Overlooking View - SparkNotes

Chat that doesn't belong in any other TYPE-MOON catagory

Moderator: Staffers

Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Overlooking View - SparkNotes

Unread post by Beowulf Lee » June 2nd, 2008, 3:38 am

I wrote something for the first Kara no Kyoukai movie which can be found here: http://loliliciousness.wordpress.com/20 ... s-edition/

I attempt to explain all the weird dialogue and the themes behind the story.

I originally wanted to post this here only, but the forum apparently didn't like the length of the post so I opted to post it on a blog which I made a year ago for no reason.

Undream
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Undream » June 4th, 2008, 3:37 pm

interesting, maybe that will clear some things for me...
"...One must wait continuously, one must pursue endlessly.
They must realize that it was impossible to succeed yet
at the same time be capable of enduring patiently.
Is that... the story of a dream that shouldn't be waited upon?..."
Last Episode

Infoceptor
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by Infoceptor » June 5th, 2008, 11:05 pm

Thanks for the analysis and summary.
► Show Spoiler

Beowulf Lee
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Beowulf Lee » June 7th, 2008, 3:46 am

There's something wrong with that though. Touko gave her two options: to fly or to float. From what you're saying, flying inevitably leads to death. Though it fits into the conversation later with her and Shiki saying that "fly and fall are tied together", giving Kirie the options to either die while high or to continue her crappy existence doesn't seem like sound advice from someone like Touko. I thought the same thing at first and that's why it gave me so much grief writing up the second part because it seemed completely contradictory. That's why I went with the circumlocutory explanation with her choosing "to fall" (because she couldn't fly and she didn't want to float). That's also why I said that not all overlooking views kill, only the ones that are too high (actually, Touko said the same thing I think, but she didn't emphasize it). So the general gist of my idea is this: You are the one to choose if you can "fly" or not. It's you're own decision. But to "fly", you'll need strength. Kirie thought herself as a "weak" person, so she decided she couldn't "fly". Her second body gave her a taste of "flying", and as a person who couldn't "fly", she got addicted to that feeling. She had obtained an "overlooking view" that was too high for her and that's what killed her.

But those are just technicalities. The sentiment behind what you're saying is the same. Overlooking View is a replay of Icarus.