Questions about the nature of the Arima household

Chat that doesn't belong in any other TYPE-MOON catagory

Moderator: Staffers

Questions about the nature of the Arima household

Unread postby abscess » May 21st, 2008, 9:02 pm

I searched around the net to see what kind of interesting things do the Arima family have. Since Shiki supposedly lived eight whole years there I thought there would be some information about them, but my research lacked any result that I didn't already know of.

The Arima family are a branch of the Tohno family, for that reason they must have some level of demonic blood in them. The only characters we know that belong to the Arimas are Kioko (the mother), Fumio (the father, whose name I found mentioned only once in Tsukihime) and Miyako (who, as far as I know, was non existent in the original Tsukihime, mentioned in KT and introduced formally in melty).

Since they are a branch family, their job as one would be fighting demons alongside the Tohnos or at least carrying out recon missions. My questions are:
-What kind of abilities do they possess?
-What is their role in the missions?
-Where do they stand in the hierarchy?

The only representative of the Arimas is Miyako, as this is the only character that we know that can actually fight, but:
-What is her specialty, besides "stomping the ground"?
-Is she a canonical character in this nasuverse or just some other character created for melty?

Thanks.
Last edited by abscess on May 21st, 2008, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Phlebas » May 21st, 2008, 9:08 pm

Think this post would be better suited for Tsukihime chat ^^.

As for Miyako, can't really tell how 'canonical' she is but I remember she was mentioned (as en existence if not by name) in Tsukihime/Kagetsu Tohya.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby abscess » May 21st, 2008, 9:11 pm

Phlebas wrote:Think this post would be better suited for Tsukihime chat ^^.

Thought about putting it in the Tsukihime section, but since I mention KT and melty as an important part of this questions, I don't think that it's only Tsukihime.

Phlebas wrote:As for Miyako, can't really tell how 'canonical' she is but I remember she was mentioned (as en existence if not by name) in Tsukihime/Kagetsu Tohya.

Hmmm.... I don't remember her being mentioned at all in Tsukihime.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby Phlebas » May 21st, 2008, 9:23 pm

I'm afraid I don't remember the specifics (even for which game she was talked about, or both), but at some point (possibly several times, even) Shiki mentions 'little sister' (Akiha) to someone and they think he's talking about the 'little sister' he had at Arimas. The context would make Tsukihime seem more likely but can't really tell for sure with the complex structure of Kagetsu Tohya (could be in the parts where Akiha 'goes the same school' orso).

Edit: might have also been in Kagetsu Tohya when
Len comes to the school and people think she's [Miyako] the little sister from Arimas. Might find it by browsing the school festival scenes in KT.

Maybe the Arimas will be more visible in the Tsukihime remake, who knows ^^.
Phlebas
Crack Addic!

Unread postby nobaka » May 21st, 2008, 10:12 pm

As far as I can tell, the only 'power' that the Arimas possess is a lolichinagirl (see: A cat is fine too), so just a daughter who's skilled in Chinese martial arts.
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Mazyrian » May 21st, 2008, 11:30 pm

Miyako is not named in Tsukihime but Shiki does mention that the Arimas had a daughter:
"I never had a chance to relax this much when living with the Arimas.
The Arimas have a child in middle school as well, but we were always distant and we never really had a chance to talk." (somewhere in Hisui's or Kohaku's route, by the beginning)
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » May 22nd, 2008, 12:04 am

@nobaka
OH SHI-! I hadn't read it until you mentioned it!!
Would be lulzier if Shiki threatened to put Len in the microweave and demanded some pix!

@Mazyrian
Yeah, I remember that now. The strange thing is that Shiki mentions that he didn't get along that well with Miyako but she thinks of him as her real older brother and seems to think very highly of him.
Last edited by abscess on May 22nd, 2008, 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
abscess

Unread postby Miraploy » May 22nd, 2008, 1:16 am

Like every other women, Miyako is in love with Shiki, but Shiki is completely oblivious to it.

I don't think they have any special powers. They go out of their way to stress that the Arimas have the lowest demon blood, so they probably are the least important and don't do anything at all.
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Unread postby nobaka » May 22nd, 2008, 2:11 am

Miraploy wrote:Like every other women, Miyako is in love with Shiki, but Shiki is completely oblivious to it.

I don't think they have any special powers. They go out of their way to stress that the Arimas have the lowest demon blood, so they probably are the least important and don't do anything at all.

He may not be oblivious to it, but rather simply is not a pedophile. LOLYARITE
nobaka
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » May 22nd, 2008, 10:00 pm

Miraploy wrote:Like every other women, Miyako is in love with Shiki, but Shiki is completely oblivious to it.

Must be the power his magical pheromones that attract the weirdest of girls around him...

Miraploy wrote:I don't think they have any special powers. They go out of their way to stress that the Arimas have the lowest demon blood, so they probably are the least important and don't do anything at all.

Yeah, but in melty miyako can stand her own in battle with very strange characters such as Arcueid. Sure it ain't canon but at least it would hint that the character has some kind of special ability, maybe not as Akiha's heat sucking powers or SHIKI's blood manipulation, but at least some degree of inhuman strenght.

Anyway, could Mr.Dokuhon-guy (aka: cashmirror) shed some light into the matter?
abscess

Unread postby chasmirror » May 23rd, 2008, 3:12 am

abscess wrote:

Must be the power his magical pheromones that attract the weirdest of girls around him...

Miraploy wrote:I don't think they have any special powers. They go out of their way to stress that the Arimas have the lowest demon blood, so they probably are the least important and don't do anything at all.

Yeah, but in melty miyako can stand her own in battle with very strange characters such as Arcueid. Sure it ain't canon but at least it would hint that the character has some kind of special ability, maybe not as Akiha's heat sucking powers or SHIKI's blood manipulation, but at least some degree of inhuman strenght.

Anyway, could Mr.Dokuhon-guy (aka: cashmirror) shed some light into the matter?

It's chasmirror, by the way. :wink:

First of all, the reason she could fight in MB was mainly due to Tatari's presence. I mean, Kohaku really doesn't have mecha-Hisui built, and doesn't know how to make a medicine that can make Akiha gigantic.

Arima family has the thinnet demon blood among Tohno family branches, and does not own any special ability.
Tsukihime Dokuhon PlusPeriod page 175 wrote:Arima [Family Name]

A branch of Tohno family, it has the thinnest Tohno blood.
The father is Fujiomi, the mother is Keiko, and the eldest daughter* is Miyako.
A household where Shiki had been entrusted since he was nine. They operate a flower arrangement** school, and even own a kendo dojo for some reason. The left is Keiko-san.***

*Although it says the eldest daughter, probably also the only child. In Japan it is not so uncommon to refer to the only child as "the eldest child."
**flower arrangement classes are popular activity among women in Japan. Many single women learn it as a part of their bridal lessons, while the married women do so as an out-of-house activity.
***In Dokuhon, this article is followed by a rough sketch of Keiko-san.

As for Miyako, she was known only as "the other child in Arima family" in Tsukihime. It was said then that she was in the middle school, but was later corrected to be a 6th grader during Melty Blood's creation. My guess is that since they didn't put Len in MB, they must have decided that they should at least on lori...... a decision which I am not complaining.

Tsukihime Dokuhon PlusPeriod page 175 wrote:Arima Miyako [Name]
Go China girl. A pretend Hakkyokuken* user, she is a girl who considers Shiki as her brother and has a crush(inside her heart) on him. Currently a 6th grader in elementary school.
Tohno Shiki showed up at Arima house in her age of discretion and she loves him as an older brother. Being seemingly almost like a love at first sight, she had stayed in a dazed state without knowing what to do about it.
Having a tendency to panic in the presence of someone she cares about, she got dumbfounded without knowing what to say before Shiki so she charged at Shiki with an upset(that is how it appeared to people around her) face groaning muu~. Her strange action of giving a headbutt on the pit of his stomach before leaving the scene became almost like a daily event. Apprantly she became able to have a little conversation with him after Shiki returned to the Tohno household.
She appears as a hidden character in Melty Blood. She faces off with the people in Tohno family in the burning passion of getting her brother back. Melty Blood's Comedy Route was produced to be the stage to determine the Ultimate Younger Sister......!!
Originally she did not have such battle abilities but it looks like her pretend Hakkyokuken became the real Hakkyokuken due to the influence of the Night of Wallachia. Miyako's, Amazing, Hakkyokuken.
Her clothing of a chinese clothes and a short pants looks energetic and cute, but in the beginning there had been some rumors saying she wasn't wearing a pants or that it was invisible spatsu**. Did you know that she takes off her chinese clothes in one rare victory pose?

*Bajiquan in Chinese.
**A really short tights. Imagine a really short biker's shorts.
chasmirror
Crack Addic!

Unread postby abscess » May 23rd, 2008, 3:49 am

Oooh! Thanks for the info, Mr. Doku--... ahem... cashmirror.
In other words, The Arimas practically suck at everything and could be considered as any other common family then and Miyako is the replacement loli for Len... Hmmm... Not the most intereseting of families in the Nasuverse now that one knows about them, am I right?

At any rate, this is deviating from the main subject but, is there some information on the Kugamines?
abscess

Unread postby chasmirror » May 23rd, 2008, 6:43 am

abscess wrote:Oooh! Thanks for the info, Mr. Doku--... ahem... cashmirror.
In other words, The Arimas practically suck at everything and could be considered as any other common family then and Miyako is the replacement loli for Len... Hmmm... Not the most intereseting of families in the Nasuverse now that one knows about them, am I right?

At any rate, this is deviating from the main subject but, is there some information on the Kugamines?

......don't know who started to call me cashmirror......

It's chasmirror! *sniff*

As per the info on Kugamines, no, only the part that I translated about Kugamine Tonami, Akiha's "fiance".

I will re-post it here just in case.

Tsukihime Dokuhon Plus Period wrote:Kugamine Tonami [Name]

From a branch of Tohno family that is also the most wealthy, technically he is Akiha's fiance designated since her childhood.

While his name was briefly mentioned even in the Tsukihime game, he also shows his imposing and manly figure in Kagetsu Tohya.

On the outer appearance he is a kind-looking short and chubby middle-aged man. His true self is an awful man with dark and shady character with a lot of ambition. However a pervert. A tosatsu* mania who loves female body(not, woman). Actually Hisui seems to be more of his taste rather than Akiha.

Although a branch of Tohnos, the family carries little demon blood**. The men in the family tend to be obese but they say the women in Kugamine family are extremely beautiful.

*tosatsu: Filming or taking pictures of other people without their knowledge. Commonly refers to those who films or takes pictures of woman undressing or taking a bath, without consent, of course.

**demon blood: The actual text says "blood of special power", but since they refers to the demon blood in Tohno family......
chasmirror
Crack Addic!

Unread postby abscess » May 23rd, 2008, 8:02 am

chasmirror wrote:......don't know who started to call me cashmirror......

It's chasmirror! *sniff*

:shock: I swear by our lord raptor jesus THIS is the very first time I've ever read your nick as chasmirror....
Holy shit... have I got lysdexia....??

chasmirror wrote:As per the info on Kugamines, no, only the part that I translated about Kugamine Tonami, Akiha's "fiance".

I will re-post it here just in case.

Tsukihime Dokuhon Plus Period wrote:Kugamine Tonami [Name]

From a branch of Tohno family that is also the most wealthy, technically he is Akiha's fiance designated since her childhood.

While his name was briefly mentioned even in the Tsukihime game, he also shows his imposing and manly figure in Kagetsu Tohya.

On the outer appearance he is a kind-looking short and chubby middle-aged man. His true self is an awful man with dark and shady character with a lot of ambition. However a pervert. A tosatsu* mania who loves female body(not, woman). Actually Hisui seems to be more of his taste rather than Akiha.

Although a branch of Tohnos, the family carries little demon blood**. The men in the family tend to be obese but they say the women in Kugamine family are extremely beautiful.

*tosatsu: Filming or taking pictures of other people without their knowledge. Commonly refers to those who films or takes pictures of woman undressing or taking a bath, without consent, of course.

**demon blood: The actual text says "blood of special power", but since they refers to the demon blood in Tohno family......

Well, it's nothing new but thanks anyway, "the intention is what counts" (or something like that), right?

Hmmm....
*how the hell did I get to college with this problem???*
abscess

Return to General TYPE-MOON Chat