Importing in Europe and the US

Chat that doesn't belong in any other TYPE-MOON catagory

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Superflonic » January 20th, 2008, 3:36 pm

AddleBoy wrote:The Fate/ Stay Night anime started it for me. I thought it was cool, then I found out that it was based on a visual novel. I played Tsukihime first though, then later played Fate/ Stay Night. Been hooked ever since.

THERE IS NO FATE ANIME.
Oh wait, that goes for Tsukihime.

Nevermind :P

But one question about it though:
Why do people think the anime sucks so bad?
It lacks a lot of storyline that the novel had, but the same goes for the F/SN.
From what I've heard, at least, I myself don't have the VN but watched the anime.

And another completely off-topic question:
Are imported games cheaper in America then in, say, Europe?
I'm going on vacation to America in the summer holidays, and if Type-Moon visual novels are cheaper there, maybe I would be able to get my hands on them over there, instead of HimeyaShop. (<-Expensive D:)
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Naota » January 20th, 2008, 4:54 pm

Importing to Europe is probably a touch more expensive than the US or Canada, but the market for Visual Novels itself is pretty small in either. It's probably nearly impossible to go anywhere and just buy Type-Moon games here, barring a really awesome anime convention. Usually we have to order our imported games online and have them shipped here (which still costs less than importing to most other countries). Strangely enough, anime can be bought just about everywhere here while it's really hard to find any kind of Visual Novels.

I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who lives in Toronto, Ontario, so I can't claim to know what the situation is where you're planning on going, but it's probably similar everywhere else as well.
"They marched onwards, fire against earth, bodies piling ever higher for the whims of rival demons, content in their game. The masses never questioned their intent nor knew their masters, serving Hell more than Heaven in their madness. For madness went unchallenged here, and the great machine of many faces, skins, and thoughts continued to turn in silence."
Naota
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Message » January 20th, 2008, 10:01 pm

Split from the second introductions thread. Don't go offtopic, Superflonic.

Unread postby Kanzar » January 21st, 2008, 1:38 am

I didn't find any Type/Moon Visual Novels at all during my holidays. I was looking in Hong Kong and San Fran, didn't get the chance to see any 'alternative' stores while in Ottawa.

I -think- I saw some Key stuff in HK... and some stuff I didn't quite recognise.
Kanzar
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Superflonic » January 23rd, 2008, 5:28 pm

Naota wrote:I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who lives in Toronto, Ontario, so I can't claim to know what the situation is where you're planning on going, but it's probably similar everywhere else as well.

Well, this is what I guessed.
I'm going to New York and stay there for about a week, but I don't think I'll have the luck to catch a convention in that time.

Sigh, maybe if I order the game NOW, it'd be in when I'm in new York, right?
(Which means a delay of about seven months, since I'm only going in the summer holidays.)
Candlejack, I wonder what hap
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby cloud1989 » March 28th, 2008, 5:53 pm

as far as importing goes, its the same. the fact is you are buying an item from japan and paying there price, games don't normally sell for $100 in the US but an import might because thats how much it cost over there, if I wanted to import an anime I might pay $40 a disc because thats how much they cost in japan. So when an import store sells an item, they sell it for how much it is suppose to cost from what country it came from, and the generous ones may translate it to american dollar to make it easier for US importers to know what they are paying, but it doesn't mean that america has its own special price for it. The fact is if you want to buy fate/stay night, it would be $100 american here and $100 american where you are, the only thing that makes it cheaper here is if there isn't as high of import fee's/taxes as where you are, and the US is very lax on that stuff where as other countries can double the price of your item with it. As far as getting it, there is no legit visual novel market in the US either, thats one thing that will probably stay strictly japanese, so it won't be any easier where ever you are unless you in japan where they may have a store you can walk in and buy it.
cloud1989
Totally hardly posted

Return to General TYPE-MOON Chat