Farland Symphony - Helpful Tips/Hints

Talk about Farland Symphony or related games here!

Moderator: Staffers

Farland Symphony - Helpful Tips/Hints

Unread postby Kaoschan » April 8th, 2010, 4:45 pm

I'm going to make some kind of list and gather tips/hints for the game :d
If one of you has some good tips/hints, just post em, i will add them to this post.

I. General Tips/Hints

*Essences: In order to gather the Essences which are used to cast Magic you need to face an field which contains the Element you want.
grass, plants, moss ---> Green Essence
stone, dry mud, streets ---> Yellow Essence
Water, wet mud, Water barrels ---> Blue Essence
Fire, lamps ---> Red Essence

Stand next to the field of the specific Essence you want to gather and use "Action" -> "Focus" and let your character face towards the field. A small animation will be played and the colour of the animation will show you what kind of Essence the character gained and the displayed numbers shows you what amount the character gained.
The amount you gain is based on your character class and level. Magic-Users will gain more Essence as Melee Characters.

*Pay close attention to the levels of your characters, try to level them all at the same speed. Later in the game there are some "duell-battles" in which only one character is fighting, and you don't want that character to have a low level.

*Revisit all areas after each chapter. Trust me it will help you a lot!

*Stock up on Essence-Items. These Items are very helpfull to charge up your Essence-Score. They can give you more Essence than Focus can do.

*You can get Gold and XP from "random" Battles. These "random" Battles are bound on specific Areas. Just walk over the Areas and wait for a battle to trigger. Depending on the Area and Chapter you are currently in, you will face different sets of enemies. Use these Battles to gather gold and XP. "Random" Battles don't give your characters Bonus-XP at the end of the fight.
There is a special item which, if equipped, will always trigger a battle if you walk over the battle-areas. This Item can only be bought from the hidden Shop.

II. Battle

*Play slow! There is no need to run through the Map (exept for one which has a Time-limit). Take advantage of the AI. Melee Units will always charge at the closest character within their move-radius. After that they will aim at the character with the lowest defence.

*If you can't attack an enemy after moving, than use "Focus" to gather Essence. Every amount of Essence will help you (but only if the character can use this type of Essence).

*Use the action "Focus" to chance the direction of your character. That way you can be sure that your enemy won't hit you from the back. This is a good way to prevent the enemy from dealing additional Damage.

*Try to get enough +move items that all of your character have at least a Movement of 5+. This will greatly help you in a lot of battles, because you can get your weaker Magic-Users out of the enemies reach before they have a chance to kill them. And if your Movemnt is high enough, you can even walk behind your enemy and hit him for addtitional Damage.

*Take your time and look over your enemies. If they have Essence-Scores then there is a very high chance that they are Magic-Users. These are your prime-target, because they can hurt you a lot with their AoE spells.

*Each action (exept moving and Focus) gives your character XP. Beware! If your enemies level is too low you will still get 0 XP for attacking him.
This piece of information can be used to "grind" some XP. Get a Character with high Defence (Mo for example) to tank the last enemy and just spam support-spells or actions which don't hurt the enemy. That way you can get a nice amount of XP before ending the map.

*The Bonus-XP your whole team gets at the end of a Map can only give you one(!!!) level-up. If your character has 90XP and you get 100 Bonus-XP than the 90XP "left" after the level-up will simply vanish. Try to level-up your character during the map so that their XP-Gauge is near empty, that way you won't waste the Bonus-XP.

*Your own AoE spells are a nice way to grind XP for your Magic-Users. Taunt a group of enemies with a character who got a good amount of defence by running into their move-radius. After they are focused on him, get your Magic-User into range and use your AoE spells. Easy XP to level up your magic users without getting hurt.

..... more to come .....
Kaoschan
Totally hardly posted

Re: Farland Symphony - Helpful Tips/Hints

Unread postby Reiiya » April 14th, 2010, 2:22 pm

Im kinda stuck at chapter 6 where Adi fights with Luke. I played over and over but still can't beat that guy. Maybe you could help?
Reiiya
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby exerron » April 14th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Well this is kind of cheating, but if you move to the high ground on the upper part of the "map", he won't attack you, only with magic, and rarely. However you still have to be able to withstand one of his magic attacks. You can heal yourself after that, because he waits at least 3 turns for another attack.
Also, try to level up Adi in the previous fights as much as possible.
exerron
Might just like this board

Unread postby WingZero » April 16th, 2010, 1:38 am

I retried that chapter quite a few times myself. (Rather annoying considering you have to redo the previous two fights and watch rather lengthy dialogue)

Chances are, unless you are super high leveled, you can't withstand two of his skill-hits (should do around 70-80% of your hp when he uses it, if not outright kill you in one shot) (Also because of this don't bother healing yourself because it's usually wasted effort)

I found it helps to have Adi at around 8x to 9x exp at the start of the Luke fight. This way after the first time you attack him, you level up and get a free heal.

To do this, just manipulate the previous fight such that Adi has 1X to 2X exp when the fight is over (everybody gets 70 exp).

Also at the start of the fight move out of range of Luke and start focusing essences. Depends on your level, but I was able to kill him with 3 silveridae techs, so I charged up 4-5 green essences and an earth essence (I had the defense up earth tech at this point). (Note you get some EXP for doing this. If you have the tech and plan on using it, keep your exp in the low to mid 80s range at the start of the Luke fight)

As you walk into range, chances are he'll attack you first (there are rare instances where he walks next to you and doesn't do anything. I'm not sure what triggers this, or if it's just randomly programmed into the AI). Next turn, use silveridae sword/slash on him and you'll level up for a free heal. Do it again after that, then again, and you should win the fight. (The only way you'll lose is if you get one hit koed by his tech OR if he uses his tech three times in a row. I've had him use it two times in a row, but never three. So chances of you winning should be okay.)
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Reiiya » April 17th, 2010, 5:24 pm

Thank you guys. helped a lott. Well if you have exactly 4 squares between AI and Luke, theres a very HUGE chance Luke wont notice you for the first time. And I believe that it is better to have no distance betveen Luke and AI when you start attacking. Theres a better chance that Luke will use his weak melee attack.
Reiiya
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Apirl » April 20th, 2010, 3:15 pm

ok , i have some problems with Chapter 7 ("Ocean Queen") ... i simply can't pass on the other side of the sea :| , i lose ...dying from damage or the time is running out ...

HELP :cry:
Apirl
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby exerron » April 20th, 2010, 5:42 pm

(From another thread)
ArchDemon wrote:
Have Firrus store Yellow Essence then cast Wilos on himself, then have him run past everyone and cast Wilus on the snail wizards to stop them from using magic while still proceeding to the east. You only need to get one character to the east section to win the stage.

Unfortunately, this didn't really work out for me, 'cause all of my skills failed (as in I couldn't seal magic or movement, so I'm stuck at that point too. I put FS on hold for a time after several failed attempts, but I will try again later.
exerron
Might just like this board

Unread postby TenguSan » May 8th, 2010, 12:46 am

If you walk on a certain area within a battle, do you get gold or an item?

Some Tactical RPGs do that, so i want to make sure
TenguSan
Totally hardly posted

Return to Farland Symphony Chat