Farland Symphony Bug Report

Talk about Farland Symphony or related games here!

Moderator: Staffers

Farland Symphony Bug Report

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 2nd, 2010, 3:41 am

This is a report thread for all the bugs, crashes and other technical problems you may find in Farland Symphony English.

Describe the problem short and clearly and state if you can reproduce the problem and how. Also supply the following:
- Your operating system and your system's locale
- Your video card and relevant driver/DirectX version
- Whether you are using the original or Encore version
- The English patch version you are using

NOTE - Before you post a bug or technical error, search this thread to see if it hasn't already been reported.
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Re: Farland Symphony Bug Report

Unread postby WingZero » April 6th, 2010, 12:09 am

Everything's well and good up til the opening movie. Then screen just turns black and it hangs (before anyone comments, yes I did read the readme).

When installing the game, I let the installer add the game to the FFDShow exceptions for me and upon first encounter with this problem I did go into the filters myself to check.

Both fsym-j and fsym-e exes are in both the audio and video ffdshow decoder exceptions list.

I tried the game again after confirming this and the exact same thing occurred.

I opened movie.mpg in the game folder to confirm it was not corrupt - the file played without problems in MPC.

For the sake of eliminating this possibility, I uninstalled CCCP and tried again - same problem.

Additional information:
Windows Vista 64 bit, Japanese locale
GeForce 9800M GTS video card, latest driver, direct X 10.0.
Original version
English patch ver 1.0

Help appreciated.

The above still stands, problem solved.

Solution:

Out of curiosity, I launched the game via fsym.exe in the disc drive and shift'd past the opening dialogues to the opening movie. To my surprise, it played without a hitch.

After viewing the scene after that, I was brought to the overmap where it was possible to save (or in this case, not, because I was booting from the disc and there's no free space on the disc drive for writing a savefile).

With this knowledge, I replaced the English subbed movie with the original and tested the game again => game hangs at opening movie.

This led me to think that I need the Japanese exe, so I pasted that over into the game folder and ran the game => the game froze right away at the first cutscene (presumably due to text wrapping or some similar issue)

I replaced the English script folder with the Japanese script folder and ran the game again. This time, I saved when I got to the overmap.
Then I put the English script folder back and ran it with the proper executable and loaded the save. Everything is working fine after that.

The problem seems to lie in the English exes... (I've tried both the j and e executables)
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 6th, 2010, 1:54 pm

WingZero wrote:This led me to think that I need the Japanese exe, so I pasted that over into the game folder and ran the game => the game froze right away at the first cutscene (presumably due to text wrapping or some similar issue)

This is because we replaced the Japanese quotation marks with English ones, so the English executables will not work with the Japanese scripts.

WingZero wrote:I replaced the English script folder with the Japanese script folder and ran the game again. This time, I saved when I got to the overmap.
Then I put the English script folder back and ran it with the proper executable and loaded the save. Everything is working fine after that.

The problem seems to lie in the English exes... (I've tried both the j and e executables)

Could you do the following for me?

1. Backup your saves
2. Uninstall the game
3. Re-install it using the Japanese installer
4. Download http://mbac.mirrormoon.org/backup/fsym_omake110.exe and execute it
5. Go to the extracted folder, run UPDATE.exe and let it update the Japanese installation
6. Run the game and see if it plays and gets past the opening movie

If that doesn't work, then there's nothing I can do to fix it since the file above is the official omake patch from TGL's website.
If it does work, I'll try to find out what's causing it.
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby WingZero » April 6th, 2010, 2:49 pm

Okay.

I just finished doing that, and the game got past the opening movie without any problems.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 6th, 2010, 3:41 pm

After you re-install the game with the English patch, can you download and run the following file in the game directory while in the Japanese locale?

http://mbac.mirrormoon.org/backup/fsym-j-nonvastt.exe

This executable only contains replaced text strings and the pointers have not been rewritten in any way.
If this works, then I think it might be how we're expanding the executable to fit in extra text that's causing the problem.

I'm going to sleep now, so I'll check here in about 8-9 hours.
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby WingZero » April 6th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Just tested it, I got through the opening movie without any problems.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 7th, 2010, 1:15 am

Can you download the following file and run it in the game directory?

http://mbac.mirrormoon.org/backup/fsym-j_test_1.exe

This file contains only 1 string re-pointed to another location in the executable using our re-pointing tool (the window title bar "Farland Symphony").
If this doesn't work, then it's the tool that's causing the problem.
If it does work, can you try this file as well?

http://mbac.mirrormoon.org/backup/fsym-j_test_2.exe

This file contains all the text strings necessary to the translation that needed to be re-pointed (meaning it doesn't contain error messages or other stuff).
If this works, then it's the error messages that we were re-pointing causing the problem, but if it doesn't work, then it's one of the translated text strings. :/
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby WingZero » April 7th, 2010, 5:52 am

Sorry for the late reply, I was studying most of the day (finals week).

I just tested both exes and they both ran without problems.

I'll be going to bed now, I'll check back when I get up to see if you have anything else for me to test.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 7th, 2010, 8:08 am

WingZero wrote:Sorry for the late reply, I was studying most of the day (finals week).

I just tested both exes and they both ran without problems.

I'll be going to bed now, I'll check back when I get up to see if you have anything else for me to test.

Heh, no worries. I've been busy with studies myself lately.
When you have time, can you test the following executables for me?

http://mbac.mirrormoon.org/backup/fsym-j_test_3.exe
http://mbac.mirrormoon.org/backup/fsym-j_test_4.exe
http://mbac.mirrormoon.org/backup/fsym-j_test_5.exe

Test 3 and Test 4 each have half of the error messages removed to try isolating where the problem is occurring.
Test 5 is a just a re-build on the v1.0 j executable to see if we accidentally packed a faulty file into the v1.0 release.
Sorry for asking so much. You're probably getting sick of looking at the prologue by now. ^^;
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby WingZero » April 7th, 2010, 2:05 pm

Not a problem. It's not too bad with the skip function.

It seems like all three worked without problems. Does that mean it's a faulty file, then?
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 7th, 2010, 5:08 pm

It seems that way...
The weird thing is, both the Test 5 and the FSE v1.0 Fsym-j executables have the same CRC and MD5 checksums,
so I really don't understand why the rebuild worked when the original didn't. @_@

Can you check the MD5 checksums of fsym_test_5.exe and fsym-j.exe in your game directory?
The MD5 checksum should be: 518d5612f093d69e3042a7a9467e6940

You can download a free MD5 checksum calculator from here if you don't already have one:
http://www.nullriver.com/products/winmd5sum
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/ ... m_portable

If they match, then the files are identical.
If they don't match, then something could possibly be corrupting the executables during or after the installation.

I'm going to sleep, so I'll check back in about 8-9 hours.
Thanks for running all these tests for me.
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby WingZero » April 7th, 2010, 7:49 pm

No problem.

the fsym-j executable has a checksum of

12b73624a53252aba64b4823cfa6da82

(Does not match what you posted)

The test_5 executable has a checksum of

518d5612f093d69e3042a7a9467e6940

(does match what you posted)
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Message » April 7th, 2010, 9:19 pm

Hello WingZero,

First of all thank you for helping ArchDemon locate the source of this problem. Arch is sleeping at this time, but if you read this before he comes back: Could you please try running the English installer again, and install it straight into your current Farland directory? There's no need to uninstall the existing one first. After you finish installation, please get the md5 checksum of the the fsym-j and fsym-e executables without first running the game (or any other application).

Also, please paste the md5 checksum of your installer. Many thanks in advance.

Unread postby WingZero » April 7th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Sure thing.

First of all, the installer has the following md5 checksum:

b4925016d41abea16ebc23b0cb1222af

After running the English installer again:

fsym-e executable md5 checksum:

abf24b4986a184855d2a7b04e1c4af8b

fsym-j executable md5 checksum:

12b73624a53252aba64b4823cfa6da82

(this matches the md5 checksum in my previous post)
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 8th, 2010, 12:31 am

Oh, opps. I forgot that I modified my fsym-e and fsym-j executables with an updated windowed mode warning, so the MD5 checksums would definitely be different. ^^;;
However, I re-installed FSE v1.0 and checked the MD5 checksums again after seeing the ones you posted.

The installer and the fsym-e and fsym-j executables all match the MD5 checksums you posted.

So I tried changing the warning message back and rebuilt the executable, but it gave me a completely different checksum.
This means that the installer could indeed have corrupted executables after all and it looks like we might be releasing a v1.1 sooner than we thought.

Can you see if these ones work fine for you?
http://mbac.mirrormoon.org/backup/Fsym-e.exe
http://mbac.mirrormoon.org/backup/Fsym-j.exe

If these work without any problems, I'll get a new release ready.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for all the help!
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby WingZero » April 8th, 2010, 1:38 am

Hm... this is rather strange.

Neither exes worked (I tried them both with and without adding them to exceptions in ffdshow (for all other ones they worked without having to be added to the exceptions list)).

However, the fsym-j exe and the test5 exe have identical md5 checksums. Is there a difference between these two executables?
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 8th, 2010, 1:48 am

Does Test 5 still work?

Apart from it being a fresh rebuild, there is absolutely no difference between the executables. :/
Even a binary comparison says that there are no differences.

Maybe you can try disabling MPEG1 and MP2 in the Codecs section of the video and audio decoder configurations in ffdshow respectively and see if that solves the problem.
If that doesn't work, maybe there's another MPEG1/MP2 filter overriding the ffdshow ones that is interfering with the video playback. :/
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby WingZero » April 8th, 2010, 1:53 am

Test 5 still works fine.

I'll try uninstalling CCCP again and see if the exes work. As for other filters, I don't have any other codec packs or anything of the sort, so I can't imagine what it might be...

*edit*

Wow... really? I.... what?

Before I uninstalled CCCP, I compared the two executables again.

The only difference I noticed was that Fsym-j was set to 95/98 compat mode and test_5 was not.

I unticked the compat mode and tried again => did not work.

the only other difference I could think of was their file names. So I renamed Fsym-j to fsym-j_test_6.exe and ran it. This time, it worked fine. (It was not in compat mode. I reticked compat mode and tried again, it still worked.)

For completion's sake, I tried Fsym-e. Did not work with either compat mode on or off.

First I renamed it to fsym-e (whatever might be causing this is probably not case sensitive, but just in case) => did not work.

Then I renamed it to fsym-e1 and it worked perfectly. (With both compat mode on and off).

This leads me to believe that it'll work as long as the file names are not fsym-e and fsym-j.

Any idea why this might be?
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 8th, 2010, 2:19 am

This is really weird. I have no idea what might be causing it at the moment.
I need to go to out for a few hours, so I'll see if I can work something out when I get back.
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby WingZero » April 8th, 2010, 2:21 am

Okay.

Again, for completion's sake, I took the old executables (that is, the ones that were there when I ran the installer again earlier) and renamed them to test also.

They both seem to work okay too, after I rename them.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to Farland Symphony Chat