Farland Symphony Bug Report

Talk about Farland Symphony or related games here!

Moderator: Staffers

Re: Farland Symphony Bug Report

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 8th, 2010, 9:24 am

Can you run regedit and see if fsym-e.exe and fsym-j.exe are in the following registry keys?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

The installer currently automatically sets the executables to Win98 compatibility mode for both Current User and All Users if the current user is an Administrator.
If they are, can you delete those file names from those registry keys and try running the v1.0 executables again?
If they work after that, then it's the compatibility settings. If they still don't work after that... :S

The reason that I find this problem so odd and annoying is because I'm also using Vista x64 in the Japanese locale.
But chances of fixing this are starting to look slim. :x
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby WingZero » April 8th, 2010, 4:06 pm

Oh,

it seems like both the j and e executables are working fine after I deleted the registry keys.

Looks like it was the compatibility at fault, then.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 9th, 2010, 12:07 am

Ah, nice. I'm glad it was something simple. ^^;
If the executables work after you re-enable compatibility mode manually,
are the entries stores in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER, or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry keys as shown above?
I think the problem might have been caused by setting compatibility mode for All Users.
If that's the case, I'll make the installer remove them in the next release.
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby WingZero » April 9th, 2010, 12:23 am

Ah,

right now when I re-enabled compatibility mode manually the entry is stored under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but not in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArchDemon » April 9th, 2010, 12:30 am

Nice, so it really was the All Users setting.
I didn't think that it would cause problems on some machines since I didn't have problems with it.
Looks like we've finally nailed this problem (which I introduced T_T).
Thanks a lot for all the rigorous testing. ^^
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby WingZero » April 9th, 2010, 12:34 am

No problem, happy to help.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby a_v » April 20th, 2010, 10:06 am

If Seia's Status clear spell is used on someone frozen, they are unfrozen, but the ice cube symbol stays with them anyway. It doesn't affect gameplay, but looks like a bug.
a_v
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby DarkMaster » April 22nd, 2010, 7:37 pm

not just Seia's spell but other stat removers as well and not just the frozen stat, burn ands silence as well. maybe some other.
but this probably isn't a bug made by mirror moon. we should look at the official site or something.
DarkMaster
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TenguSan » May 7th, 2010, 11:17 pm

how to explain this....

whenever i move the cursor to the top right of the screen, the minimize and close boxes blink. if i click on the area which that icon blinked, it will perform its action.. so i have to be careful when clicking on anything in the top right area. this glitch appears to happen on the area map when the menu is up during a battle. It does not seem to occur on the battle map itself. I would include a screenshot, but it is very hard to capture because the 'blink' is rather fast.

I just got the game and installed the new patch, v1.1 .. i have not played the game with the old patch, so i do not know if this is a new glitch.

I use XP and play the game in full-window mode

I have not found mention of this on this thread or in the ReadMe
TenguSan
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby DarkMaster » May 7th, 2010, 11:33 pm

same thing happen to after i alt-tab the game, but as long as i don't use alt-tab or restart the game after using it the game works fine.
maybe that is your problem?
DarkMaster
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TenguSan » May 8th, 2010, 12:19 am

DarkMaster wrote:same thing happen to after i alt-tab the game, but as long as i don't use alt-tab or restart the game after using it the game works fine.
maybe that is your problem?

I use the Windows Key on my keyboard, but same effect. yes, it seems to only start when i do that, and it doesn't occur if i don't. "Disable Visual Themes" doesn't fix it also, as it still closes if you click in that area. Turning off or changing the compatibility mode setting doesn't fix it either.

This is a pain in my butt.. i like to constantly minimize a full-windowed game and check my msn and messages, so simply not Alt-Tabing is not really an option for me. And i am NOT going to put my display to 16-bit just to play the game in windowed ><. Sorry for being a pain.

Is there a way to fix this glitch? If not, is a patch possible to fix this?

Either way, it should probably be added to the readme on the next available patch, or others might ask this same question. (although i don't think i need to mention this)
TenguSan
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby DarkMaster » May 8th, 2010, 9:31 am

well there is only one button that you can't reach because of this bug, the "next" in the status screen.
you can use only the "prev" key to get to all chars, not comfortable but the game still playable.
DarkMaster
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby TenguSan » May 8th, 2010, 10:44 pm

DarkMaster wrote:well there is only one button that you can't reach because of this bug, the "next" in the status screen.
you can use only the "prev" key to get to all chars, not comfortable but the game still playable.

mm. also it can be a problem during story dialog too. While the mouse cursor is not visible, it is still there. if you move it to around where the close box is and click, the game WILL close.

Prevention: 1) Use spacebar to advance text, or.. 2) Keep moving your mouse away from that area to prevent accidentally clicking it.

i hope this is fixed.. it is a real pain ><
TenguSan
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby huxtaposition » June 10th, 2010, 5:58 am

Hey, I'm sorry if this is a silly problem; I hadn't seen anything about it in a quick scan.

Installation asks me for the disc. Do I need an original Japanese version or something? Sorry if this is stupid, but thanks for the help!
huxtaposition
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » June 10th, 2010, 6:41 am

huxtaposition wrote:Installation asks me for the disc. Do I need an original Japanese version or something? Sorry if this is stupid, but thanks for the help!

Yes, we only made a translation. Obviously you need to buy the game if you want to play it.

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » August 6th, 2010, 6:47 am

Ok I'm using the 1.1 ver of the patch.

The problem I'm getting is that whenever I got into a random encounter sometimes the game crashes before it even starts or right when it's about to start. Also, sometimes it crashes when I got to previously visted areas to see if there is items I may need and whatnot and the game crashes as well.

Aside from that is there a way to skip the dialouge that I've seen before since it's kind of annoying to go though all of that again just because I made a mistake somewere along the line in a battle.

*edit*

I'm sure this one was mentioned before but when I tried to purchas mutiple items at the item show the game just locks up for no reason.

*2nd edit*

Also, for some reason it's locking up on me once I get to the second half of the Ocean Queen chapter. I mean mid way though the fight it just decides to freeze up and becomes unresponsive. Also, it even did it once when I was in the first story baised combat as well.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby ArchDemon » August 7th, 2010, 3:30 pm

Kid-Wolf wrote:Ok I'm using the 1.1 ver of the patch.

The problem I'm getting is that whenever I got into a random encounter sometimes the game crashes before it even starts or right when it's about to start. Also, sometimes it crashes when I got to previously visted areas to see if there is items I may need and whatnot and the game crashes as well.

Aside from that is there a way to skip the dialouge that I've seen before since it's kind of annoying to go though all of that again just because I made a mistake somewere along the line in a battle.

*edit*

I'm sure this one was mentioned before but when I tried to purchas mutiple items at the item show the game just locks up for no reason.

*2nd edit*

Also, for some reason it's locking up on me once I get to the second half of the Ocean Queen chapter. I mean mid way though the fight it just decides to freeze up and becomes unresponsive. Also, it even did it once when I was in the first story baised combat as well.

The crash problem at the Ocean Queen chapter usually occurs if you're not using the correct executable for the locale you are using. Are you using the English or Japanese locale? If you changed locales after installation, the shortcuts created by the installer will point to the previous locale executables. You can fix by running the installer again and just doing a simple patch install. This will rewrite the shortcuts for the locale you're using. Or you could change the shortcuts manually by changing Fsym-j.exe to Fsym-e.exe or vice versa. The game is prone to crashing at odd points sometimes, but running the correct executable should fix the most problematic ones. Check the readme if you're still having problems as most of the problems are listed in the Known Issues section. Hope this helps.

~ArchDemon
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » August 7th, 2010, 6:52 pm

Actually I'm running this on Vista but I found out that I shouldn't tried to do something with the compatability feature, since I actually got past that part just a little wile ago with no crashes thankfully.

Also, it still crashes when I'm buying items at either the item shop, or at the weapon/armor shop as well.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby ArchDemon » August 8th, 2010, 1:19 am

Kid-Wolf wrote:Actually I'm running this on Vista but I found out that I shouldn't tried to do something with the compatability feature, since I actually got past that part just a little wile ago with no crashes thankfully.

Also, it still crashes when I'm buying items at either the item shop, or at the weapon/armor shop as well.

I'm not really sure what's causing the glitch there. I used to play it on Vista x64 and had no problems with it. If you have the time and hard drive space, my suggestion is to download VirtualBox, install your copy of Vista on it and then install Farland Symphony with the patch in the same way you did on your computer. Then copy the saves over and try performing the same actions to see what happens. If the problem doesn't occur any more, then there might be something conflicting in your Vista configuration or possibly something wrong with the saves themselves. If you upload your saves and tell me exactly how to perform the crash (e.g. a specific place where you know the crash occurs, such as a certain shop, etc.), I can test them here if you like. As for skipping previously read scenes, there is no way to skip the scene entirely, but you can fast-forward text by holding the Shift button. You may want to turn off the Windows filter and sticky keys if you want to do that though.

~ArchDemon
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » August 8th, 2010, 1:39 am

Ok I'll remeber that for this game it's the shift key and not the "All Mighty Ctrl Button" then.

As for the shops it's actually random chance since it would crash when I purchased something. It's not like it's doing it all the time though, but it was kind of bugging me. I mean the shop bug would mostly be the Item shops were I'm purchasing either the Accessories or buying more than one item at the shop. Although it's rare though, but at one point it was kind of consistant once I tried to buy some items in the Blue Village, but after that it was fine. For all I know it's one of those random glitches that you'd find on most RPG games out there though.
Kid-Wolf

PreviousNext

Return to Farland Symphony Chat