Speaking of Live Action...........

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Speaking of Live Action...........

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 23rd, 2007, 9:09 am

There's been (recent?) news of the LA Mahou Sensei Negima! movie. A preview clip can be viewed here ----->
, or http://youtube.com/watch?v=5l2hnujeQFY

Personally, after seeing the website first, I find this rather disappointing. Why? Well........ it looks sort of............ copied from somewhere?

I'm sure SOMEONE can't figure out what I mean so here are a few bell-ringers:

Magic?
Wizards?
Dumbledore?
Harry Pott - O whoops, too much information
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby miszou » September 23rd, 2007, 10:53 am

I agree that the LA atmosphere in the trailer kinda resembles that of Harry Potter a bit, but it's not like Harry Potter was that refreshing new with it. it was just more expensive and famous then anything before :3

as for being LA, they always make so much change to the feel of a series compared to the manga, but I guess that's a good thing, since it makes the LA interesting to watch since it has so much new things :3 guess we'll have to wait until it comes out ^^

at least watch it for the huge cats of cute girls :3
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Xavier » September 23rd, 2007, 12:28 pm

What the hell is with the Japanese and acting out something that is originally drawn?!?

Yes, Americans did it with comic books but at least the comic book heroes were badass. Come on, who doesn't want to act out spiderman or batman or wolverine?

Every single live action film I watched are cheesy and corny. Corn with melted cheese taste great but it fucks up with your stomach.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 23rd, 2007, 1:05 pm

Xavier wrote:What the hell is with the Japanese and acting out something that is originally drawn?!?

Yes, Americans did it with comic books but at least the comic book heroes were badass. Come on, who doesn't want to act out spiderman or batman or wolverine?

Every single live action film I watched are cheesy and corny. Corn with melted cheese taste great but it fucks up with your stomach.

Well, most LA are created following the anime, which is already a little, sometimes very big in difference. There are some decent LAs, but yes, most do suck quite badly. When i refer to LA, i usually talk about the ones which DO have something to do with the real story, unlike certain other "Live Actions" *shudder*.

Japanese LAs are divine when you compare what Americans do to Jap series (examples being DoA..... ewwww......). The Evangelion LA is rumoured to have Mr. Harry Potter act out Shinji (actual source unknown, and remember, its just a rumour)
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby miszou » September 23rd, 2007, 3:19 pm

Xavier wrote:What the hell is with the Japanese and acting out something that is originally drawn?!?

nothing really, its just like a LOT of movies are based on novels. In Japan, the comic market is extremely bigger then here, so cultural, comics are a bit like novels, plus a lot of novels also have a comic made out of them. So it is nothing Japanese really I think, it's pretty normal actually to make a movie or serie out of a good story.

a lot of japanese drama's actually are acted out pretty nice, but remember, they are drama's, not your american action movies, so no, you might not like them and find them cheesy, but thats because the genre is different, and a lot of them are created from shoujo stories and more female orientated, and I don;t think that is your taste ;) (just a wild guess ^^).

And quite frankly, the american comic heroes LA movies are don pretty bad :( the completly destroyed anything of the story to make place for bad ass computer generated scenes. which are cool to see, but after one movie they should really add in some story, honestly :3 (spiderman 23 and 45 may have some new plot devices tho O_O)

well anyway, I think it's just a cultural difference that may cause that perception, but in the end it's not so much difference :3 and I agree that some LA's are kinda cheesy xD but overdoing it is also something Japanese LA's are good at :3
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Xavier » September 23rd, 2007, 5:11 pm

miszou wrote:

nothing really, its just like a LOT of movies are based on novels. In Japan, the comic market is extremely bigger then here, so cultural, comics are a bit like novels, plus a lot of novels also have a comic made out of them. So it is nothing Japanese really I think, it's pretty normal actually to make a movie or serie out of a good story.

a lot of japanese drama's actually are acted out pretty nice, but remember, they are drama's, not your american action movies, so no, you might not like them and find them cheesy, but thats because the genre is different, and a lot of them are created from shoujo stories and more female orientated, and I don;t think that is your taste ;) (just a wild guess ^^).

And quite frankly, the american comic heroes LA movies are don pretty bad :( the completly destroyed anything of the story to make place for bad ass computer generated scenes. which are cool to see, but after one movie they should really add in some story, honestly :3 (spiderman 23 and 45 may have some new plot devices tho O_O)

well anyway, I think it's just a cultural difference that may cause that perception, but in the end it's not so much difference :3 and I agree that some LA's are kinda cheesy xD but overdoing it is also something Japanese LA's are good at :3

Thing about novels is that you don't know the faces of the characters while in anime...well...the faces are drawn. It's better to make a movie out of a book than a book with pictures in 'em. Like you sad, some movies based on comic books are horrible, but at least they have the "badass" moments where you totally just orgasm in awesomeness. And stories? Fuck that. You get that in books not in movies. In movies, you just want to be entertained UNLESS its one of those drama movies.

Actually, I LOVE drama. I'm not your usual tough ass male and I'm not even an american. I'm asian. =p

I've seen a lot of cheesy Filipino movies but they're usually just something you can laugh at and they don't follow whatever they're trying to follow. So there's no real cultural difference. In Japanese live action, they're trying to follow the darn plot and dress up just like the freaking anime version. F$@#?

Ah well, I guess I just don't like 'em.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby miszou » September 25th, 2007, 10:04 am

well Japanese just don't like to read :P they didn't invented the light novel and visual novel for nothing xD and with a comic market that big they only have manga and light novels to turn into popular movies. Unless you get arthouse movies (I love those ^^)

And yeah, stories you get in books, but I also like movies with a great plot, usually you'd have to watch art house or just e few good hollywood ones for that.

and sorry for assuming you didn't like drama xD I guess I was just generalizing there ^^;;

Some Japanese drama's really add to the LA thing, cos the atmosphere is so great and it feels so different from the manga or anime that it is still great to watch, they usually changer the story a bit too. But yeah, some Japanese drama are so badly done you want to cry and hide in a corner xD I guess they don't always have a budget :3 But some low budget drama's are just so funny because of the crappyness ^^

hmm, I'm straying OT hereI think ...

Well I think negima might be fun to watch, they definitely seem to have changed the story a bit in order to make it feel alright on the screen. Plus the got an entire class of cute girls, so I guess I have to at least watch one episode ^^ Might be entertaining ^^
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raw » September 25th, 2007, 8:10 pm

The only medium i sometimes, practically almost none, enjoy because of the entertainment value (see: number of explotions) are videogames. I always prefer the story and characters over anything, be it action, fanservice or whatever other "shiny" element.

[sarcasm]Also there a rather good LA movie based around F/SN. Complete with plotholes.[/sarcasm]
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » October 5th, 2007, 12:57 am

The Negima LA finally aired on TV, and though i haven't seen it myself, my otaku friend told me that it SUCKED :D . Guess it really did turn out to be some typical sucky LA.

O btw, if you guys haven't figured out yet, Negi's played by a girl, so now Negima's a giant yuri-fest. Fun :lol:
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kanzar » October 5th, 2007, 9:02 am

-[J1N]- wrote:The Negima LA finally aired on TV, and though i haven't seen it myself, my otaku friend told me that it SUCKED :D . Guess it really did turn out to be some typical sucky LA.

O btw, if you guys haven't figured out yet, Negi's played by a girl, so now Negima's a giant yuri-fest. Fun :lol:

I don't know anything about Mahou Sensei Negima... so when I saw that clip I thought 'wtf, MSN is a shoujo ai/yuri series?????'
Kanzar
Crack Addic!

Unread postby miszou » October 6th, 2007, 1:06 am

-[J1N]- wrote:

Reminds me of Sh15uya. I kept thinking the main character (in the series a male) was looking so damn cute :3 I gues sthey do it a lot actually, they like androgynous males anyway, so taking a woman to play the role is usually the easiest to get that look ^^
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » October 6th, 2007, 1:34 pm

Lolz, I actually saw bits of the first ep, and the story has been changed quite a bit. The characters will take a bit of time to recognise and 2 of them look like males =P. Negi is easily recognisable as a female, so her role as Negi is a fail -_____-.

Cant wait till another LA comes out eh?
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Return to General Chat