Mass Effect

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Mass Effect

Unread postby Xavier » September 20th, 2007, 10:45 pm

Set 200 years in the future in an epic universe, Mass Effect places gamers in a vast galactic community in danger of being conquered by a legendary agent gone rogue. A spectacular new vision from legendary developers BioWare, Mass Effect challenges players to lead a squad of freedom fighters as they struggle against threatening armies to restore peace in the land.

Mass Effect is the first in a trilogy of games with an overarching story. As the first human Specter ? sworn defenders of galactic peace ? your mission is to halt the advancing armies of a legendary agent gone rogue. But as you lead your elite team across hostile alien worlds, you will discover the true threat is far greater than anyone imagined.
-IGN

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/718/718963.html
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/mas ... bs;summary
http://xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/mass-effect/ < Gamespy

So, who's going to get this game? It's from Bioware and it looks pretty solid in terms of combining action and RPG elements in combat.

Sad thing about is that I can't get it. I don't have a darned Xbox 360. Sure, Bioware will port it later on but when will that happen? Ah well, at least I have Dragon Age to look forward to. (A PC only game. HAH! TAKE THAT!)

Oh and
Basically, you can have an undetailed sex with one of the romance options. Lol.
"If playing as a male character the scene can take place between him and a human woman or a humanoid female alien. If playing as a female character the scene can take place between her and a male human or a female humanoid alien." -Got it from Kotaku
Yes, its been confirmed.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raw » September 21st, 2007, 4:17 am

I was looking forward to this game like 2 years ago. Now i know it's gonna be a total deception.
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Zarxs » March 4th, 2008, 6:20 pm

I bought and beat this game, and on top of that, I absolutely loved it. It has to best chose and consequence system I have scene in a game to date, good characters, fun fights, awesome and original story. I also love how you pick EVERYTHING your dude says, there is not a moment when he says something that you cannot choose.

I recommend this to any RPG fan, hell, anyone in general it's just that good.
I will create a utopia down here on earth. A peaceful and prosperous one. A sanctuary for those that are alive, and yet, in turmoil. I might not be able to accomplish this during my lifetime. But, the first step will have been taken by me. God will most likely approve of me deeds, and try to take me to heaven. And than, I will say to him, "I do not require the land above, nor your approval. Our utopia is down upon earth."
Zarxs
Might just like this board

Re: Mass Effect

Unread postby kranchroy » August 5th, 2010, 10:39 am

I recently bought this game on Amazon and I regret to say that, from what I've played so far, I'm not impressed. Sorry, but Mass Effect is overrated. The story is tied with tape, at best, frozen and spit at worst, made history suffers the same problem as the plot of Final Fantasy XII. This means that the excessive concentration of history is in large, political intrigue and fat not enough people (or aliens or otherwise) that make up this plot.
kranchroy
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Raven » August 6th, 2010, 7:17 pm

kranchroy wrote:I recently bought this game on Amazon and I regret to say that, from what I've played so far, I'm not impressed. Sorry, but Mass Effect is overrated. The story is tied with tape, at best, frozen and spit at worst, made history suffers the same problem as the plot of Final Fantasy XII. This means that the excessive concentration of history is in large, political intrigue and fat not enough people (or aliens or otherwise) that make up this plot.

I would have to agree with Kranchroy as someone who played both 1 and 2. To its credit, the game as a whole can be a fun and passable experience (especially ME2). However if you're the type who like to take the story and narrative a step further and dive into it, you better be wearing a helmet or you'll get some bleeding. The story is drive by pretty much all the cliche that you'll find in a third rate anime. There is no such thing as "political intrigue" in the game, there is only a bunch of idiot, and their idiocy is in fact, the only thing that propelle the story in its direction. Since if the politician in ME is anywhere even 1/4 as competent as RL's politician, I guess we wouldn't have any story since the writer would be incapable or writing one. They're wrose than the politicians in Gundam series ... if you need a comparision.

And the choice system is also overated, Bioware has always been good with providing the player an "illusion" of choice and their decision "matter" while 90% of their gameplay are actually just flat out linear. I dare say an average VN probably have more choice and consequences. For what it's billed as, I would say something like the Witcher would be the least to expected.

But if you want to play it just for fun (say ... like you're playing fable) then it's not a bad game at all really.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Watashimo » August 6th, 2010, 11:18 pm

I found the first one pretty boring and only played it for the background to the second one. I loved the second one personally. I agree that the story isn't very strong if you actually sit down and think about it, but I find this (the second one at least) to be a very enjoyable game. While the choices don't affect the actual story a whole lot, I did notice they affected quite a few things, albeit minor things, especially if you made radically different changes in the first one. (I played the second one first and then went back to play the first one. I noticed quite a difference in dialogue and people you met as well as how you are treated by the NPCs in general.)
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DarkEyes » October 27th, 2010, 12:32 am

Best series of games ive ever played, period.
The story is awesome in both games and while the second has much better gameplay both are still great.
The game being personal is a sweet bonus that i personally enjoy ALOT, hell sometimes i actually feel like i am shep ;]
So whats your fav class/ squady?

Btw, Darth Turian? Am i missin something ?_?
DarkEyes
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Maes » October 27th, 2010, 4:16 am

DarkEyes wrote:So whats your fav class/ squady?

ME1 = Soldier with Tali and Liara
ME2 = Soldier with Kasumi and Miranda... I wish Tali didn't suck in ME2 :(
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby DarkEyes » October 27th, 2010, 8:20 am

Yeah, talis usefulness is very dependant on her fighting geth ;< She makes one hell of a romance though ;3
DarkEyes
Crack Desu!

Return to General Chat