How about a little bit of culture exchange?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

How about a little bit of culture exchange?

Unread postby flurk » September 20th, 2007, 4:59 pm

Yeah. since we come from all over a world, how about introducing your local culture, through your own eyes?

of course it's hard to go in-depth, but basically i think it'd be fun to know, in general, what life is like in different parts of the world. i'll start then, ok?

climate: tropical, 28-32 degree celcius

malaysia used to be occupied by the british. at that time, foreign labour was brought in to work tin mines and plantations.
as a result, malaysian culture is a mix of chinese, indian, and the local malay.

when people from different races interact with each other, we usually use malay or a slang of broken english. the english that we learn in schools here is british. however, due to american and local influences, we adapted it to form "malaysian english", or manglish. (it's not an official language, of course. just a nationwide slang) even some of our wacky radio DJs use that slang.

racism is quite bad here, but not serious enough to cause much concern. i left high school at the end of 2005, and there are always cases where malays fight with indians, chinese fight with malays, chinese fight with indians, etc.

anyways, life here in the city is rather americanised. every kid has an ipod or an mp3 player, we all use sony ericsson and nokia handphones (my guess is 30% of the people here own two handphones, one each for digi and maxis, our very competitive mobile network providers), and we all have broadband (although our monopolising isp sucks plentifully)

one culture that i consider fairly unique in malaysia is our "mamak" culture, where we call up a group of friends to the nearest "mamak" stall for a drink (usually many drinks) and eat "roti canai"with curry late at night. alcoholic drinks are not served in "mamak" stalls, as the term "mamak" means an indian muslim. almost everyone follows "mamak" culture. and the stalls are open till around 4a.m.

example of a "mamak" stall:
this is a "roti canai", it's an indian food that's popular here
this is "teh tarik", translated directly means "pulled tea", a local favourite

most malaysians play football(soccer) and basketball. some also play hockey (not ice hockey, the few ice rinks around here are always crowded). most people stay up late at night to watch live EPL (english premier league) matches in "mamak" stalls, where they usually have a big tv or a projector.
our local football team sucks so badly, that last year, the local ISP company had a nationwide talent search for outstanding amateur footballers (mostly under 20) and called them MYteam (MY stands for malaysia), and had a match against our national team. the result was a 2-1 loss, but the national team still had a tough time.
proof @ http://myteam.bluehyppo.com/
and that's why everybody ignores the local football leagues and watch the EPL.

also, taken from another site:
White People-ism

Malays, Chinese, and Indians may have different religions but they all share the common worship of White People-ism. If you're white and nerdy come to Malaysia. Your popularity level will increase up to 99.9% HEY thats cooler than when you were in Australia or U.K. or Canada! Go to a club and you are accepted with open arms. No I.D. required and you can basically pick up any common girls NO PROBLEM. So if you're white, a loser in your own countries, and looks like you might have giantism, then Malaysia is the place for you! Visit Malaysia 2007 and you're no longer a loser 24/7!

i might update this from time to time. how about you? PLEASE share your local cultures with the rest of us. keep the ball rolling!
flurk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby puKKa » September 20th, 2007, 5:44 pm

rawr

we got meatballs:

we got a really sucky local fotball team:

we got broadband:

we had vikings(with awesome religon \m/):

we had the pirate bay:

and

we wish we had a stargate:

Sweden over and out
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby Sobzob » September 20th, 2007, 6:01 pm

^ What he said.
Sobzob
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raw » September 20th, 2007, 8:40 pm

I'm from Mexico, for those you don't know how to locate it in a world map, we are on North America, just below USA.

You won't find much racism here, but all socioeconomic population sectors discriminate each other. There's a lot of poor people, a lot of normal people, and a little but very Fing rich people.

Of course in Mexico there are very big cities, such as Mexico City or Monterrey, where i'm currently studying. But aside from those big cities, Mexico is composed mostly of small towns. The city where i came from, Mexicali, is one of the hottest cities in the world, if not the number one. Our record is 54 Celcius degrees (Almost Sahara desert record) but the heat sensation ranged from 65 to 70 Celcius degrees. Also, it rains 1 or 2 days average each year. Sans the extreme conditions, Mexicali is the very best place to live. You have your normal, peaceful life, while enjoying the californian style of life, because it's a frontier city, and usually in 15 minutes you are on US soil.
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raitei » September 20th, 2007, 10:29 pm

you're kidding me..
well, indonesia's a beautiful country with a vast number of culture...
but since I live in Jakarta, i'm deprived of our true nature and culture...
see, we jakartans tend to spend too much money on shopping malls and video games rather than indonesian culture..
and to be frank, I don't like indonesian culture that much...
right now i'm more interested in japanese culture(harajuku especially, wanna try that:))
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby Xavier » September 20th, 2007, 10:33 pm

There's not much to say about my place. I mean, what seriously is there between no where and somewhere? Right? Maybe some mutants or some forgotten neo-con fascist communist nazis but there's nothing much here. People sometimes pops out of no where but they usually leave because of the lack of taste in our food. I don't even know if we have food. :|
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raw » September 21st, 2007, 4:13 am

Post-Nuclear Earth, you remind me of Fallout.
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raitei » September 21st, 2007, 4:44 am

and outland in warcraft...there're dimensional gateways there, so people can easily enter and leave.
also, it's kind of like wilderness there...
wanna a detailed description?
i'm right there.(i'm at distant wilderness, y'know..:) )
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 21st, 2007, 5:49 am

I'm from Australia, and this place is much like America. Kangaroos are rare even to us, they are unable to carry people and koalas are no exception.

We have the slowest anime update, and receive everything else around the world 2 years after they are released. Any anime merchandise are charged at 150%, but life is alright =)

Btw, i'm also Chinese as well and parents migrated from Vietnam during the war. I cannot read Chinese =(

Our 'aussie' foods are.... Pies..... and stuff.... I really don't know myself. All i eat are the same asian meals we get in Vietnam and China
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby demonblade » September 21st, 2007, 6:03 am

Singapore here; once a former colony of good o'l Britannia (as was everyone else XD), and once part of Malaysia as well.

Uhm, what can I say? We're registered as a little red dot on the World Map (I'm serious. Go take a look), and we're barely 42km in total land width. Probably the only tropical country that can compare with the Vatican in size.

Extremely small, but we're also apparently quite well-off, from what I see in global standard of living demographics. I don't have any pictures really though.

But I do have a short condensed story of Singapore in a song.

It probably won't make sense to you though, as some parts make fun of certain characters regionally or so...

Btw, roti canai looks suspiciously a lot like roti prata. Is there a difference flurk?
demonblade
Addict

Unread postby marus » September 21st, 2007, 6:14 am

[blog mode]Uhh, I'm not really from a specific place per se. My dad was(is) in the United States Air Force, so we moved around a lot, and I've picked up traits from every place I've been, but I've never really stayed in one place long enough to become completely immersed in a country's culture. That, and I have a naturally relaxed (lazy) way of seeing things, so I tend to just shrug culture off as "normal" for the time, after which I forget about it when I move. So yah, I'm a military brat.

See, I was born in Virginia, and moved to Hawaii when I was three or four, but I don't remember shit about my life before I was eight, at which point I was in Florida, and all I remember there was that I lived five minutes away from a beach so I spent most of my time screwing around there.

Then I was in Germany, where ketchup packets weren't free, ice was a commodity, and everybody stared at you like they were ready to rip your throat out any minute. Oh, and in October season they have wonderful festivals full of cool drinks, 'cept my parents say I can't drink any of it even though the government says I'm allowed to.

And then I'm in Japan, where I can actually remember a fair amount of stuff. Like Akihabara, that kickass city that makes you think otaku might actually have a chance at being able to survive in the mainstream, even though the city was originally made for electronics and not anime. Oh, and it had the worlds best restaraunt that specialized in seafood, with the super generous service. Such as, one time me and a friend were there for lunch but were low on money, so we just ordered one meal and said we would share that between us. But, the waitress felt so bad for us, so she gave us a free sushi meal too! And the tea was so good, the whole place had this really relaxing feeling. After that we ended up going there quite a bit. Unfortunately they weren't located in a very convenient place, so they got shut down due to lack of business. Shame huh? I also seem to remember that there was a very distinct lack of trees (except for on-base). I also seem to remember a lot of anti-America memorabilia next to the base.

And now I'm in eastern Washington state, where it's very... boring. I guess I'm too used to being next to Tokyo where I could get anything I want, but there's really not a lot to buy here. Though, it is nice to be able breath normal air again, plus there's actually room to be able to run around without having to dodge people every ten meters.

So uhh, yeah. Military brat for yah. This turned less into a culture thing and more of a story of my life, but whatever, my eyes aren't really cultured anyways.[/blog mode]
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Kanzar » September 21st, 2007, 7:05 am

-[J1N]- wrote:I'm from Australia, and this place is much like America. Kangaroos are rare even to us, they are unable to carry people and koalas are no exception.

Don't forget the drop bears, though. ;)

-[J1N]- wrote:We have the slowest anime update, and receive everything else around the world 2 years after they are released.

We're not kidding about 'everything'. Australian authors publish overseas first. D:

-[J1N]- wrote:Btw, i'm also Chinese as well and parents migrated from Vietnam during the war. I cannot read Chinese =(

BAD CHILD. You could've gone to Chinese School like I did. ;)

-[J1N]- wrote:Our 'aussie' foods are.... Pies..... and stuff.... I really don't know myself. All i eat are the same asian meals we get in Vietnam and China

Well, since Australia is really just a migrant country, and we don't eat traditional Aboriginal Australian foods... everyone just eats whatever the hell they want. D: We don't have distinctly 'Australian' stuff like the Americans have with their fried coke and stuff... Although you could call Kangaroo steaks/sausages Australian. >_>;;
Kanzar
Crack Addic!

Unread postby idontknoW » September 21st, 2007, 8:41 am

Philippines here. hmm.. what to say..

hmm.. i forgot how to define culture.. so I'll just say how I think it anyway.
Past-wise: (hidden because spoiler tag below resembles that of a history class. no offense in advance written below.. )
Well it's got a fine history.. Country all started when it was connected with Asia through land bridges, people migrated here then eventually they got trapped (land bridges sunk and we see what is now, an archipelago called Philippines). blablabla many years.. then Spain butted in and gave the wonders of civilization and the Christian religion but enslaved us for hundreds (?) of years. We fought against that uh, tyranny using the might of the pen (our national hero did wonders by writing in two novels that sparked a revolution, oh and his merry writer friends as well.)

War breaks out, probably an even fight.. then the Americans butted in this time, pwning both us and the Spain then they took over. Taught us many things, they did in exchange for uh.. i dunno, i kinda forgot my history lessons now,... years years years.. then the Japanese came (World war 2 methinks??) and pwned everyone here. blablabla, Americans came back then we fought for freedom in the end.

After that, all chaos came in from its own government (if there were chaos in question..)

For now, well it's a normal country. Normal (tropical) temperature with varying kinds of places you can go to.
here's some random trivia.
Good (not necessarily) things: (hidden because of length)ah, scratch that, no need to hide.
  • Mostly everyone here leads a happy life, we ain't that serious most of the time and people mostly joke around, at least to what I see... We get serious if we need to though. I find nearly everyone happy-go-lucky.
  • Cellphone text messaging is (and was) a major hype here. Simple typical SMS that costs only P1 per message (~$0.02)
  • Nearly everyone knows the English language. Sure, we speak in Filipino casually but we speak English if we have to.
  • Malls... if there's one thing for sure, this country has a lot of them and they're usually big and enough to get what you want.
  • Just like any other country, it has a lot of sights and seeings that you can go to.
  • Internet cafes are very very abundant.
  • Racism?? what the hell is that? Seriously, if you're from the outside you'll be treated quite properly here (warmly if i might say so)
  • and some other stuff that I'm forgetting... I'll edit this post sooner or later

Bad things:
  • The internet is like... wtf. SLOW. Many people use DSL but I think a majority of the people still use the ol' Dial-up
  • Politics.. ah. too much issues that could be the very root of why this country is still poor.
  • It's a sucker for typhoons, and when such things come, it's gonna deliver a lot of floods and power outages.
  • Sure, we know English and Tagalog (a.k.a. Filipino) but most people have the tendency to MIX these two languages thus forming Taglish, a bad mix of the two. It's a pain in the ears most of the time (for me at least).
  • Nearly everyone here prefers pirated material than the original. Those who can really afford things are the only ones who would really buy original merchandise.

Overall: Too hard to say, either way I'm contented and that's good enough.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby flurk » September 21st, 2007, 10:00 am

thanks for sharing guys!!

puKKa wrote:we wish we had a stargate

is that really a part of your country? :D why don't you tell us what the people there are like?
p.s. you missed out ikea.your meatballs picture looks suspiciously like the ones they serve ikea. hehhehe

Raw wrote:Our record is 54 Celcius degrees

OMG, i mean.. OMG!! 54!!!! THAT'S INSANE! do you guys use air conditioners everywhere? it should be cheap there, i suppose?

@Xavier: you didn't say what country is it that you're in...

demonblade wrote:roti canai looks suspiciously a lot like roti prata.

yes, the only difference is the name. i think we call it roti canai to differentiate it from roti planta, which is a crispier version with lots of planta margerine and sugar.

Kanzar wrote:Although you could call Kangaroo steaks/sausages Australian. >_>;;

nice try. do they taste like chicken? (seriously)

idontknoW wrote:Racism?? what the hell is that?

racism in malaysia is when the government favours malays more than any other race (they have house loan benefits, more scholarships, local universities favour admission for malays). as a result, we chinese and the indians have a certain level of dissatisfaction. of course, racism mainly arises from stereotyping other races.
flurk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Xavier » September 21st, 2007, 10:26 am

Didn't say my place? Well, let's see...I could be in Philippines or I could be in America or I could be in Korea or maybe, hell, Africa. Ask the moderators. They probably have tracked my IP address. =p
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raw » September 21st, 2007, 4:51 pm

flurk wrote:
Raw wrote:Our record is 54 Celcius degrees

OMG, i mean.. OMG!! 54!!!! THAT'S INSANE! do you guys use air conditioners everywhere? it should be cheap there, i suppose?

Yeah, we do, but electricity is insanely expensive here. In a summer month, you could be facing a $400 US bill.
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby mir » September 21st, 2007, 11:00 pm

North California here, close to San Francisco. We have a fair amount of gay people and a lot of bums so yeah. Not a bad place overall, though I dislike the lack of snow during the winter. I suppose you can always commit suicide for fun by walking into one of the many fast food chains...
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 22nd, 2007, 2:24 am

Kanzar wrote:
-[J1N]- wrote:Btw, i'm also Chinese as well and parents migrated from Vietnam during the war. I cannot read Chinese =(

BAD CHILD. You could've gone to Chinese School like I did. ;)

Actually I did used to go when i was younger, but didn't llike it. My constant complaining got me out of it in the end :lol: . However, I do kind of regret it now

mir wrote:North California here, close to San Francisco. We have a fair amount of gay people and a lot of bums so yeah. Not a bad place overall, though I dislike the lack of snow during the winter. I suppose you can always commit suicide for fun by walking into one of the many fast food chains...

Where I live snow is impossible to fall. I tried snowball fighting after a hail storm before though, but it wasn't the best experience you could get. There are some places where there are snow, but like the kangaroos and koalas, it's quite rare to go there.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raitei » September 22nd, 2007, 5:51 am

mir wrote: I suppose you can always commit suicide for fun by walking into one of the many fast food chains...

please explain. I don't quite get the idea :)...
@-[JIN]-: I heard that in australia, there's a vast number of spiders in every house, in every summer...
is that true?

oh yeah, I managed to find something positive from indonesian culture....
have you guys ever tasted padang food yet?they're spicy, but tasty :)
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 22nd, 2007, 6:39 am

Raitei wrote:
mir wrote: I suppose you can always commit suicide for fun by walking into one of the many fast food chains...

please explain. I don't quite get the idea :)...
@-[JIN]-: I heard that in australia, there's a vast number of spiders in every house, in every summer...
is that true?

oh yeah, I managed to find something positive from indonesian culture....
have you guys ever tasted padang food yet?they're spicy, but tasty :)

Spiders are there, yes, but poisonous ones are (once again) like the kangaroos and koalas. We HAVE been taught to watch out for them if we DO spot some, but so far I haven't seen any yet. Err.... vast numbers? No, that's definately not true.
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to General Chat