How about a little bit of culture exchange?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby mir » September 22nd, 2007, 6:47 am

-[J1N]- wrote:Where I live snow is impossible to fall. I tried snowball fighting after a hail storm before though, but it wasn't the best experience you could get. There are some places where there are snow, but like the kangaroos and koalas, it's quite rare to go there.

I used to live in Europe, and it snowed every winter. Now sure, -27C is not my definition of fun, and neither is the constant runny nose I used to get, but it made winter break a lot of fun for me and my friends. I kinda miss it now...
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby shadow_Hiei » September 22nd, 2007, 7:16 am

I'm from California, Sacramento area. Maybe its because I grew up in Sacramento, but discounting the fact that its California's capital, its history, and Old Town which is themed after its history, Sacramento is about as uncultured as a relatively big city comes. We have the Kings (a basketball team that was pretty good a few years ago... too bad I don't care about basketball), and that's about it. That may sound like culture, but when you enter Sacramento, you'll discover that it just feels like a generic big city. There's nothing about the atmosphere there that makes that city feel unique or special.
shadow_Hiei
Addict

Unread postby Blue Gunner » September 22nd, 2007, 8:06 am

-[J1N]- wrote:Spiders are there, yes, but poisonous ones are (once again) like the kangaroos and koalas. We HAVE been taught to watch out for them if we DO spot some, but so far I haven't seen any yet. Err.... vast numbers? No, that's definately not true.

Depends where you live... stayed with my grandparents in country NSW and found at least five huntsmen (I know, not poisonous, but still, five) every morning, lunchtime and evening in the bathroom. Even when I killed them and took them outside. In the cities it's pretty rare though. Oh, and half Dutch Aussie here ^^ As for kangaroo steaks, it tastes a lot like most other red meat to me. Only with a much more powerful taste, especially if the juices are kept. It's a really strong flavoured meat, not one of the ones I like (I was raised in one of those chicken eating households, and can safely say that kangaroo does NOT taste like chicken ^^;) Australia's just a mix of different cultures, we don't really have one of our own. No snow in the mountains, roasting summers (in the south where I come from at least), and a pleasant autumns and springs. You'll find people, food and cultures of all shapes and sizes in Australia (back in school, my classes had Vietnamese, Chinese, Polish, German, Italian, Greek, Dutch and British background people in it), and most of all we seem to be one of the most laid back countries in the world. Don't we all just love the attitude of "If it can be done tomorrow, do it tomorrow" which we all have? At least, everyone I know does ^^ Not sure what else to say about Aussie land...
Improve your vocab and feed people in need: http://www.freerice.com
Blue Gunner
Addict

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 22nd, 2007, 8:28 am

Blue Gunner wrote:
-[J1N]- wrote:Spiders are there, yes, but poisonous ones are (once again) like the kangaroos and koalas. We HAVE been taught to watch out for them if we DO spot some, but so far I haven't seen any yet. Err.... vast numbers? No, that's definately not true.

Depends where you live... stayed with my grandparents in country NSW and found at least five huntsmen (I know, not poisonous, but still, five) every morning, lunchtime and evening in the bathroom. Even when I killed them and took them outside. In the cities it's pretty rare though. Oh, and half Dutch Aussie here ^^ As for kangaroo steaks, it tastes a lot like most other red meat to me. Only with a much more powerful taste, especially if the juices are kept. It's a really strong flavoured meat, not one of the ones I like (I was raised in one of those chicken eating households, and can safely say that kangaroo does NOT taste like chicken ^^;) Australia's just a mix of different cultures, we don't really have one of our own. No snow in the mountains, roasting summers (in the south where I come from at least), and a pleasant autumns and springs. You'll find people, food and cultures of all shapes and sizes in Australia (back in school, my classes had Vietnamese, Chinese, Polish, German, Italian, Greek, Dutch and British background people in it), and most of all we seem to be one of the most laid back countries in the world. Don't we all just love the attitude of "If it can be done tomorrow, do it tomorrow" which we all have? At least, everyone I know does ^^ Not sure what else to say about Aussie land...

I've never actually eaten kangaroos before, just sounds too weird. I live in the city, so like Gunner said, it's rare. Our summers can't really be called 'roasting' because I've seen (felt) the temperatures America has, but then again, I'm in the Sydney region where everything is too normal. The temperature is getting hotter every year though, thanks to glow ball warning (i know that's not how it's spelt). Australia really is one of the most laid back countries, and there are many opportunities for people that you don't get in other countries.

Oh, I just remembered, the minimum temperatures are also dropping, the cars actually form an icy layer on it's windows during the morning in cold days, which didn't happen before where I live.

mir wrote:
-[J1N]- wrote:Where I live snow is impossible to fall. I tried snowball fighting after a hail storm before though, but it wasn't the best experience you could get. There are some places where there are snow, but like the kangaroos and koalas, it's quite rare to go there.

I used to live in Europe, and it snowed every winter. Now sure, -27C is not my definition of fun, and neither is the constant runny nose I used to get, but it made winter break a lot of fun for me and my friends. I kinda miss it now...

I'd go through a few runny noses for snow any day :lol: . Hmm, now that I think of it, i never really enjoyed snow like i should have. The only times i've gone to Snowy Mountains (one of the places with snow) is during family outings, where we only stop there for a few hours and school camps. Never during those times did I actually hire skis and glide down. All i got were boards.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raw » September 22nd, 2007, 8:18 pm

Blue Gunner wrote: Don't we all just love the attitude of "If it can be done tomorrow, do it tomorrow" which we all have? At least, everyone I know does ^^ Not sure what else to say about Aussie land...

Yeah, as in, oh a new game came out, but we don't have to sell it yet. We can do it tomorrow, heck, even next week. Or maybe next month, or year, or century.
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Xavier » September 23rd, 2007, 12:25 am

Don't you just love how everyone is posting where they live in here? I do. It makes me really happy that I could easily track anyone down if they piss me off enough. =p

Just kidding.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Nerroth » September 23rd, 2007, 12:34 am

Blue Gunner wrote:Australia's just a mix of different cultures, we don't really have one of our own.

Quite so - the Aboriginal peoples of Australia were so varied in terms of the cultures and lifestyles they had, one could argue there was never really 'one' single culture which could be considered to stand out more than any other...

...unless you were looser with the term then some might be.

And that's before you even start mentioning the Torres Strait Islanders...

But considering the efforts expended by white Europeans to either assimilate or exterminate all traces of these varied cultures, it's a wonder that any of it managed to survive into the present day.

But then, here in Ontario it's notable how rarely you see the presence of native peoples in cities like Toronto, so it's not difficult to imagine a relative lack of a visible presence in places like Melbourne or Sydney (except during riots, sadly - when all of a sudden the media is quite keen to show said presence. Although, I doubt the media outlets are intending to do the groups shown any favours...).

Maybe I notice this more, as I'm from Ireland originally, and didn't grow up here.
Nerroth
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » September 23rd, 2007, 12:56 am

Xavier wrote:Don't you just love how everyone is posting where they live in here? I do. It makes me really happy that I could easily track anyone down if they piss me off enough. =p

Just kidding.

HAHAHA, anyone who DARES try to take me on will face the wrath of six-thousand F-22s... soon as I take care of all the paperwork.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raw » September 23rd, 2007, 1:27 am

I prefer a Su-35. They're sexier.
Last edited by Raw on September 23rd, 2007, 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby marus » September 23rd, 2007, 1:29 am

Yeah, but I don't really wanna bomb him if he's next to my house.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Xavier » September 23rd, 2007, 2:45 am

You won't even find me. I have this super-1337 ninja skillz and, just when you think your safe in your cozy room, WHAM! Your neck has been t3h dislocated. No one will even know because everyone will think you're just in one of your usual 24 hour playing of visual novels. No time for those huge ass fighter planes to locate me because, by the time they can say "rakanishu", I'll be somewhere in Antarctica. :mrgreen:
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » September 23rd, 2007, 4:07 am

Xavier wrote:You won't even find me. I have this super-1337 ninja skillz and, just when you think your safe in your cozy room, WHAM! Your neck has been t3h dislocated. No one will even know because everyone will think you're just in one of your usual 24 hour playing of visual novels. No time for those huge ass fighter planes to locate me because, by the time they can say "rakanishu", I'll be somewhere in Antarctica. Mr. Green

Fine by me, if you're willing to freeze to death all alone in Antarctica. More so because thanks to my superior information interception skills, I'll have realized your plan before you even made it and have a fake in my place to die for me. MUWAHAHAHA!

Um, seeing as this is getting horribly off topic, I'll post some info on the history of the Air Force to repent. It was originally part of the United States Army, but sometime in 1947 it was established as its own branch. Also, despite being called the Air Force, most of their men work on the ground. Uhh... and did I mention that we don't have an official motto? Yeah, that's about all I know.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raitei » September 23rd, 2007, 4:46 am

marus-san, i want to ask something...
you said that you're in the USAF, right?
then, have you got a rank?

spare me, in Indonesia, the military power's getting worse and worse...
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby flurk » September 23rd, 2007, 4:52 am

i remember reading somewhere that an american aircraft carrier came to visit malaysia. so our prime minister (or president) went and personally greeted the commander/admiral (whatever). and learns that the carrier has more fighters than the whole malaysian air force.

and we're flying old russian MIGs, as far is i know.

edit: i read up about it on wikipedia. it seems that the carrier had MUCH MUCH more fighters than the whole malaysian air force. o_o
flurk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby marus » September 23rd, 2007, 5:53 am

Raitei wrote:marus-san, i want to ask something...

Wow, people referring to me with "-san"? Now I feel respected. Too bad I have to disappoint you and say that I don't have a rank (unless military dependent counts as a rank). It's my dad that's in the Air Force. Though, I sometimes get to benefit from his rank (reserved parking spots for me!)
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raitei » September 23rd, 2007, 8:52 am

marus wrote:
Raitei wrote:marus-san, i want to ask something...

Wow, people referring to me with "-san"? Now I feel respected. Too bad I have to disappoint you and say that I don't have a rank (unless military dependent counts as a rank). It's my dad that's in the Air Force. Though, I sometimes get to benefit from his rank (reserved parking spots for me!)

course, you're older than me y'know... wew, looks like i'm gonna visit US in near future...when the time comes, welcome me with open arms, guys^^
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby Xavier » September 23rd, 2007, 12:22 pm

Lol, don't visit the US of A. Right now, it has a LOT of problems. Visit it when they finally recognize the first amendment as an actual right.

Anyway, back then I live in this country where its very hot. Everything there is hot. The only thing good about that country is the ice cream. Well, that's all I can remember.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » September 23rd, 2007, 4:46 pm

Meh, it ain't that bad. It's not like expressing thought is any harder here that it is in, say, Japan (hah, that's all I have to compare to personally). Though on the other hand, the US doesn't have much to offer tourists that you can't find in other places, unless you just like shopping.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Xavier » September 23rd, 2007, 5:14 pm

marus wrote:Meh, it ain't that bad. It's not like expressing thought is any harder here that it is in, say, Japan (hah, that's all I have to compare to personally).

Well, America is supposed to be this super 1337 country of opportunity and freedom they're bragging about. Boy, was I disappointed.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » September 24th, 2007, 1:37 am

Xavier wrote:Well, America is supposed to be this super 1337 country of opportunity and freedom they're bragging about. Boy, was I disappointed.

I can see what you mean there, this country does get hyped a lot. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it isn't as bad as some people make it seem, but yeah it could be better.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat