How about a little bit of culture exchange?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Mood: cryptic, alienated, BAC: .03

Unread postby md » September 24th, 2007, 2:35 am

Xavier wrote:
marus wrote:Meh, it ain't that bad. It's not like expressing thought is any harder here that it is in, say, Japan (hah, that's all I have to compare to personally).

Well, America is supposed to be this super 1337 country of opportunity and freedom they're bragging about. Boy, was I disappointed.

Has no idea what the fuck he's talking about.

Multiculturalism? Don't talk to me about multiculturalism. Multiculturalism is how to DESTROY a nation. Not build up strength or unity. There is no such thing as equal cultures. There's a Right Way and a Wrong Way, if you think oitherwise, you're tripping over your own logic and falling on your face. Relativism is wrong, morally and logically.

By the way, hot places in America: Wikipedia: Death Valley. "Temperatures in the Valley can range from up to 130?F (54 ?C) in the day in the summer, to below freezing at night in the winter."

Since the beginning
not one unusual thing
has ever happened. --Apparently from the Tao?
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby flurk » September 25th, 2007, 12:04 pm

the only continent that's not represented here yet is africa.. hmm..

anyways, is there anyone here from the uk? i'd like to hear about good ol' england.
flurk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raitei » September 25th, 2007, 2:18 pm

i've been to england, it's a nice country...but(sorry, don't mean to offend) I think the people are not too friendly, aren't they?
from my own personal experience, I often get an unsatisfactory answer when asking directions to someone out there..

@-[JIN]- : yo, my friend from indonesia's studying at aussy right now, so i'm planning to visit him sometimes ... can you give me a suggestion when's the best time to make a visit?
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby Raw » September 25th, 2007, 8:18 pm

The only bad thing about USA is it's goverment and it's strong sense of corrupted nationalism, which leads them to manipulate the world whichever way they want. And don't even try to tell me that attacking Middle East, while ignoring the whole world consent (Well, at least the most civilizised one, Read: UNO), and supporting Israel at Lebanon was the right thing to do. There's no worse farse than the war on terrorism.

I mean, Americans are good people, but when other countries are involved, they turn to be a bit egocentric. It's obvious not everyone is like that, just the whole majority, and i really respect the people who doesn't become like that, be it civilian or soldier. I hope Marus that you are one of the latter.
Whispering Words of Unearthen Wisdom || Kill GOD as a Sacrifice to GOD || Death may Die || I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
Raw
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Hiyono » September 25th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Americans, for the most part, are terribly ignorant, apathetic, and egocentric. Then again, that pretty much describes humanity as a whole :) Joking aside, America is simply so regionally diverse that it's hard to pin it down as a whole. For example, those of us on the West & East Coasts would be offended to be lumped in with those from the South & Midwest (we're not the ones who put Bush in the White House!). Furthermore, add in ethnic diversity, a vast range of education and income levels, and you see why it's so easy to always find some group to single out and target as portraying all of America. Just take President Bush for example. I've noticed many people from other countries often citing Bush and his policies as an example of what's wrong with America. And indeed, the fact that he is President is a sign that at least some things are wrong with our government (what country is perfect?). However, the fact is that his policies are as wildly unpopular here in America as they are elsewhere. Don't let the vocal minority fool you!

Ranting aside, I should probably make a more topic oriented contribution. The topic is cultural exchange, and I've seen many few posts sharing parts of their ethnic life, and thought I'd throw in a bit of a different take ;D I am a 2nd year Master's student studying at a research-oriented university, and I figured I'd share a little bit of the graduate school life, since it doesn't seem to be very well known (except by those of us in grad school, or who have done it of course!). First off, the most drastic change you notice compared to college is the emphasis on money. Everything becomes about money, namely what advisors will be willing to take you, what research you'll do, even what area you study! Another money related issue that you might have seen or heard about concerns food. Grad students are often penniless, or near about, so you'll often see us at any event with free food - whether or not the main event itself is of any interest is secondary (if you see anyone take off after they've eaten, that's us.) Another major aspect is the role of your advisor in your life. Think back to olden Master/Apprentice (maybe Master/Slave) relationships - that's what we have here. I have a friend whose advisor even makes her provide chauffeur service for him. Perhaps one of the more interesting parts of grad life occurs when conference deadlines approach. You'll never see so many completely exhausted grad students just completely out of it :D For the most part though, we're pretty much like normal college students (except that we're higher in the hierarchy! Advisor > Insurmountable wall > Grad students > Undergrads). So if you see your T.A. passing out in the middle of class, or with bags under his bloodshot eyes, wish him good luck on meeting his conference deadline :p
'It is better to be a human dissatisfied than a pig satisfied"
- John Stuart Mills
Hiyono
Might just like this board

Unread postby md » September 25th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Idly wondering if either of the last two posters believe in 9-11 truth or something similar.
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby marus » September 25th, 2007, 10:10 pm

Raw wrote:I mean, Americans are good people, but when other countries are involved, they turn to be a bit egocentric. It's obvious not everyone is like that, just the whole majority, and i really respect the people who doesn't become like that, be it civilian or soldier. I hope Marus that you are one of the latter.

Unfortunately, yes, a lot of America is like that (though to say that's the majority of Americans may be a bit of a stretch). I like to think that I'm above that that kind of nationalism, but it's more along the lines of I don't really care where I live as long as it's fairly safe and entertaining with good food. So far America has been pretty good to me, though I might not mind moving back to Japan if I ever learn enough Japanese for me to live an enjoyable life without having to depend on the US base.

Oh, and not to pick on you or anything, but my name is spelled marus, not Marus - I'm very touchy about my undercase letters :)
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 26th, 2007, 5:27 am

Raitei wrote:i've been to england, it's a nice country...but(sorry, don't mean to offend) I think the people are not too friendly, aren't they?
from my own personal experience, I often get an unsatisfactory answer when asking directions to someone out there..

@-[JIN]- : yo, my friend from indonesia's studying at aussy right now, so i'm planning to visit him sometimes ... can you give me a suggestion when's the best time to make a visit?

To tell you the truth, any time is good. Well, to visit him at least. The weather here is almost always sunny, and you could be considered lucky to visit in a time of a storm. If you're planning on coming to visit your friend and take a tour of Australia as well, that i'm not too sure of. I can only give you some tips on where to go for New South Wales, but i'm not too familiar with other states.

On a side note: If you're interested in being broadcasted on TV as part of a 'airport security' series as a smuggler or an illegal immigrant, now's your chance.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raitei » September 26th, 2007, 11:09 am

-[J1N]- wrote:To tell you the truth, any time is good. Well, to visit him at least. The weather here is almost always sunny, and you could be considered lucky to visit in a time of a storm. If you're planning on coming to visit your friend and take a tour of Australia as well, that i'm not too sure of. I can only give you some tips on where to go for New South Wales, but i'm not too familiar with other states.

oh alright, so anytime's fine huh...?
-[J1N]- wrote:
On a side note: If you're interested in being broadcasted on TV as part of a 'airport security' series as a smuggler or an illegal immigrant, now's your chance.

no, I think i'll pass on that.... :shock:
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 26th, 2007, 12:39 pm

Raitei wrote:
-[J1N]- wrote:To tell you the truth, any time is good. Well, to visit him at least. The weather here is almost always sunny, and you could be considered lucky to visit in a time of a storm. If you're planning on coming to visit your friend and take a tour of Australia as well, that i'm not too sure of. I can only give you some tips on where to go for New South Wales, but i'm not too familiar with other states.

oh alright, so anytime's fine huh...?

I forgot to add, it's safe because there sin't much commotion that would endanger anyone, as APEC is now over and done with. Just get here before the elections, cause there might be some sort of explosion happening of Johnny Howard miraculously get re-elected for the prime minister seat.

And i'd like to remind you im talking from the perspective of a resident of NSW only. I'm not sure how different it is at other, more further states ^ ^
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby idontknoW » November 26th, 2007, 5:23 pm

a bit of thread resurrection here, but meh.
in this country, when presidents fail it ends up like this.

in case you don't get it:
call it a People Power revolution, a calling to impeach defective presidents by means of a peaceful er, that crowd.
idontknoW has left this forum, that is all.
use the YM / Mail buttons if you need to contact me.
idontknoW
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » November 26th, 2007, 6:58 pm

^ ... revolution? It seems like a festival to me...

---
Guess the country?

We are famous because of tacos, mariachi, beans, tamales and drug dealers. Got it yet?
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby marus » November 26th, 2007, 9:56 pm

^ looks like a typical afternoon in Tokyo to me :P
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby JimmyT64 » November 27th, 2007, 9:13 am

And for some reason, when I saw it, I thought of the F1 grand prix....
Tsukihime drinking game. 1. Every time a word or a phrase is repeated 3 or more times, take a drink (eg. This chair).
2. Every time Shiki claims not to understand something already explained, take a drink
3. Every time Shiki doesn't realize someone is hitting on him, take a drink.
4. Every time someone who should be dead, isn't, take a drink.
5. Every time Shiki does something ridiculous with points\lines.
JimmyT64
Might just like this board

Previous

Return to General Chat