This forum's background

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

This forum's background

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 20th, 2007, 11:40 am

I know this'll sound weird, but how long has this forum been up for, and what has the forum been up to recently (before i joined)?

I've seen lots of posts that date back a few years, but the thing is, if i scroll down to older threads below it, the last post would be a few years old. I can see a certain necromancer (no offence) keeps resurrecting old threads, but i also find it hard not to, because most common topics are already dead.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Message » September 20th, 2007, 3:19 pm

This forum has been around for a long time, but has only gained a decent amount of activity when Tsukihime English v1.0 was released. The first public story mode releases of MB and MBR and the Fate route translation gave more activity bursts, and I'm sure we'll attract yet another fanbase by the time MaW!2 English comes out. :P

Resurrecting threads is not forbidden, by the way. But the thread in question needs to serve a proper purpose, and your reply needs to serve a proper purpose in the thread. Posting just for the sake of saying something is against the rules (Sanity Clause).

Unread postby Xavier » September 20th, 2007, 10:18 pm

When I joined, this forum was farkin dead! So yeah, the recent patches resurrected it back to life. So one could conclude that the posts from the past are just useless chatter.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » September 21st, 2007, 6:18 am

When you say long time, how long is that? =P

Most of the people who were here before have stopped coming here already didn't they (save for you lot)? I thought this forum was dead as well when i first joined, but it's still got life in it ^ ^.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Xavier » September 21st, 2007, 10:21 am

-[J1N]- wrote:When you say long time, how long is that? =P

Most of the people who were here before have stopped coming here already didn't they (save for you lot)? I thought this forum was dead as well when i first joined, but it's still got life in it ^ ^.

How long? Well, it says on Message joining date that he joined in 2004.

Yeah, I noticed in the memberlist that most people that joined way back then no longer comes except the moderators and the the ones doing the project.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » September 21st, 2007, 4:18 pm

Do I count as way back then? I'm only a year behind Message.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Xavier » September 22nd, 2007, 2:22 am

marus wrote:Do I count as way back then? I'm only a year behind Message.

Nah, I'm talking about the '04s not the '05s because the '05s are in the same boat with the '06s.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raitei » October 8th, 2007, 10:12 am

hmm, i've got a question in mind...
translators -san, i'm impressed by the way you guys managed to have done so many translation nicely...
how do you guys managed to build such a solid team, excellent work atmosphere, and effective work distribution?

p.s.: admins-san, I haven't seen puKKa in a while; kinda missed him... :P
please give him my best regards whenever you guys ever get in touch... :wink:
"Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order and everything becomes... chaos.
I'm an agent of chaos."
Fate/world providence
Raitei
OMG! WTF WHO SET THIS TITLE! LULZ

Unread postby puKKa » October 9th, 2007, 5:30 pm

Raitei wrote:p.s.: admins-san, I haven't seen puKKa in a while; kinda missed him... :P

I'm here, just slacking, too lazy to post. But I'm always on IRC ;D
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby TheXev » October 10th, 2007, 10:12 pm

-[J1N]- wrote:I know this'll sound weird, but how long has this forum been up for, and what has the forum been up to recently (before i joined)?

I've seen lots of posts that date back a few years, but the thing is, if i scroll down to older threads below it, the last post would be a few years old. I can see a certain necromancer (no offence) keeps resurrecting old threads, but i also find it hard not to, because most common topics are already dead.

It's quite simple to find out when this forum was created, just look at member #1 in the member list (Soulfang): 12 Nov 2003.

This forum was created when we thought our forum section on EmuXhaven was lost (along with the entire website) and wanted to have more control to administrate everything. The forum has undergone massive changes since its first inception, and the backbone software itself has been reinstalled from scratch several times. Right now the forum is about how I want it. I have the ability to upgrade it at anytime (instead of bugging Daichi to do it when it was on different hosting), the anti-spam software that is installed has worked wonderfully since it was installed (no more spam and false account headaches for us to deal with.)

So there you have it, November 12th, 2003 was the opening of the forum. I have no idea where it was hosted at the time.

I'll answer other questions in a different reply.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby TheXev » October 10th, 2007, 10:41 pm

Raitei wrote:hmm, i've got a question in mind...
translators -san, i'm impressed by the way you guys managed to have done so many translation nicely...
how do you guys managed to build such a solid team, excellent work atmosphere, and effective work distribution?

p.s.: admins-san, I haven't seen puKKa in a while; kinda missed him... :P

It didn't' really start out all that great. You can read more about the founding of revolve right here. We where basically founded when Soulfang was having problems with Chapter 2 of Farland Symphony, and I figured out the issue and Alerith introduced me to Soulfang. One day, we decided to merge our groups and Revolve Translations was born, named after the crazy thought that the entire group "revolved" around Alerith. It wasn't a lie, that's for sure, everything hinged on Alerith's translations at the time. When real life got in the way of Alerith, we where left without a translator and the group was at a standstill for about a year.

Gavionnee (CyberWarriorX), whom I met threw Sega Extreme when I was playing around with some hacks of for Grandia on the Sega Saturn, started to help me out with tools for Melty Blood. I only ended up playing Melty Blood because Alerith and Soulfang kept repeating the name in the old #jap-games channel we had on IRC, and i wanted to test out my new broadband internet connection and download something. Once we started making a bit of headway with MeltyBlood, I started reading about Tsukihime and its universe on Moonlit World shortly after the Tsukihime anime premiered.

I was counting on the Tsukihime anime to bring more attention to MeltyBlood as a project, and draw new talent into the group. It did work to an extent, but then mirrormoon appeared. chendo and the mirrormoon people where completely oblivious to the fact that Revolve had announced its intent to do Tsukihime AFTER MeltyBlood. We started talking to each other and eventually agreed to combine our power and merge. Revolve had better connections with places like insertcredit, while mirrormoon had access to a group of new translators like Ryuusoul. chendo was working on the English code that would later be added into ONScripter (this was a huge help, as my method I'd devised for Nscripter wouldnt' have been so pretty). Our combining projects brought alot of attention, and more great people joined the group like TakaJun. Once Taka joined the group, we where on fire and translation in Tsukihime progressed at a rapid pace.

Once Tsukihime was released, it was a relief. We had been a 'vaporware' group up until that point with no finished projects. Many people doubted that we were actually translating anything at all, and some went far enough to call Revolve and mirrormoon "a bunch of attention whores who don't do anything but figure out ways to draw attention to themselves."

Building the current core team took lots of time, effort, and luck to gather. I believe it was mostly our combined feeling of producing a quality translation and lead to the people we have today. The only place I see need for improvement is a full time editor who is actually good enough to not stab his eyes out at some of the stuff TakaJun translates. lol Other then that, the current people on the team have been around for about 2 years or so, and I'm more then happy to continue working with them.

In all honesty, its the non Type-Moon stuff we've been working on that I think people should be more excited about right now. I hope my own free time frees up so I can take a larger roll in the group once again.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Return to General Chat