Translation of PS2 version of Higurashi

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Translation of PS2 version of Higurashi

Unread postby JuliusCaesar » July 10th, 2007, 9:51 pm

I was wondering if there was any one working on a translation of the PS2 version of Higurashi, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri?

I found a patch for the PC version, maybe some group could adapt it to ps2 version. I guess how hard it is depends on how different the format for the script files are.
JuliusCaesar
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Impractic_Shiki » July 10th, 2007, 11:34 pm

The PC version only had a partial patch that I recall---for the group ceased to be.

Plus, the PS2 version only covers the Question arcs that I recall.

So you might as well just watch each anime.
Impractic_Shiki
Crack Addic!

Unread postby JuliusCaesar » July 11th, 2007, 12:14 am

I have already watched the anime, just waiting for the second season to finish the story. Mostly I just wanted to play the game because of more depth/flavor, where the teacher is more like Ciel, et cetera.

This is from wikipedia(I didn't check their sources so I don't know the validaity of this but)
"The PS2 port differs from the original game series in that it includes full voice acting, redrawn CGs, and integration of the Question arcs starring Keiichi into a single branching storyline.

The PS2 port includes the first seven PC arcs (Matsuribayashi-hen is excluded) and three original "Final" arcs - Taraimawashi-hen, Tsukiotoshi-hen and Miotsukushi-hen. After the original seven arcs are cleared, the first two "Final" arcs will be available. Furthermore, when these two "Final" arcs are cleared, the epilogue, Miotsukushi-hen, will be unlocked."
JuliusCaesar
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby phib » July 11th, 2007, 8:54 pm

From a technical point, translating higurashi is very difficult. Here is explained how the data is hidden:
http://www.smallnews.net/azuco/column/a ... urashi.htm

Basically, there's something like a hidden ISO/UDF image inside the DVD and the table index is stored in the ELF. This can give a lot of trouble when replacing the files if the size differs. You would have to fix all the offsets stored in the ELF and this can arise problems depeding on the type of variables they were stored as. Also, how are you supposed to test it? You need a japanese ps2, because the game is not very playable with pcsx2. Also this issue, narrows down the quantity of people being able to play it.

And there is at least 85.000 lines of text to translate (around 6.5MB). If not even one game for PC has been translated, expecting to find someone willing to translate 6MB of text...

Trying to translate a japanese ps2 game is just a waste of time.
phib
Addict

Unread postby Qaenyin Angelblade » July 11th, 2007, 10:59 pm

Agreed. In the long run it would actually probably be far more efficient just to translate the full PC version. Not to mention you'd save a mint on burnable DVDs to test the patch with.
Qaenyin Angelblade
Addict

Unread postby Impractic_Shiki » July 13th, 2007, 4:08 pm

Indeed. The original PC drawings weren't the best in quality either. I played a demo of the patch and visited Higurashi forums to find out everything.

It's really best just to go with the anime. Or else you can't note the wonder of the crazy Rena faces.
Impractic_Shiki
Crack Addic!

Unread postby JuliusCaesar » July 13th, 2007, 10:59 pm

Ok so from a technical standpoint it looks hard.

Oh and you don't need a japanese PS2, game works fine when swap loaded in.

Can't wait to get off of work to watch the first episode of the second season.
JuliusCaesar
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Moogy » August 28th, 2007, 6:26 pm

Reasons to translate the PS2 version instead of the PC version:

Three new story arcs, including a new ending
Voice acting
New art

The first one would be the main reason of course. Not that anyone will ever translate it.

And yes, PCSX2 crashes upon attempting to play FMVs in Higurashi Matsuri.
Moogy
Posting more than n00bs

Re: Translation of PS2 version of Higurashi

Unread postby barrett627 » December 4th, 2010, 9:44 pm

i realize that the people who originally posted thes pieces of information probably wont come back to this page but i think i should post a link to something very helpful for those of you who would like to play the pc version of higurashi advanced with everything the ps2 had -sprites cg music ect- [URL removed]

"i made a post for this that has more info so if you have the time check it out ^^"
barrett627
Totally hardly posted

Re: Translation of PS2 version of Higurashi

Unread postby Message » December 5th, 2010, 5:30 pm

barrett627 has been banned permanently for breaking the warez rule.

Return to General Chat