Newbie...Need help with techno stuff!

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Eriol-kun » June 29th, 2007, 11:50 am

An EK is fine, too.

1. Hmm, Windows Install, huh-- odd thing.
Well, to be dummy-proof:

- Make sure the CD isn't in the CD Drive. o_O.
- Exactly when does this occur? For example:
- When the BIOS is loading [e.g., when the PC normally displays text asking if you can press F11 or something similar]?
- When the OS is loading [e.g. Around the time when you see the "Windows XP Pro/Home Edition" and the green bars]?
- When Windows itself already starts up?

If worse comes to worst, then we can always try out something like System Restore. (One of the beauties of XP.)

2. Well, that's okay. Seems you have an older version of Office other than '07 [Since the Startup load was taken away completely in newer versions.] It won't affect anything other than loading that bar that usually appeared with the Office links (which was completely annoying, in my opinion...).
Eriol-kun
Crack Addic!

Unread postby DuLexSidLex » June 29th, 2007, 2:29 pm

Eriol-kun wrote:An EK is fine, too.

1. Hmm, Windows Install, huh-- odd thing.
Well, to be dummy-proof:

- Make sure the CD isn't in the CD Drive. o_O.
- Exactly when does this occur? For example:
- When the BIOS is loading [e.g., when the PC normally displays text asking if you can press F11 or something similar]?
- When the OS is loading [e.g. Around the time when you see the "Windows XP Pro/Home Edition" and the green bars]?
- When Windows itself already starts up?

If worse comes to worst, then we can always try out something like System Restore. (One of the beauties of XP.)

2. Well, that's okay. Seems you have an older version of Office other than '07 [Since the Startup load was taken away completely in newer versions.] It won't affect anything other than loading that bar that usually appeared with the Office links (which was completely annoying, in my opinion...).

EK, in regards to the Windows Install...there is no CD in the CD Drive and this occur during the BIOS is loading, asking me to press F8 for Advanced Troubleshooting, in which one can choose Safe Mood, Reboot and etc...

Wahhh...SYSTEM RESTORE would that mean RE-FORMAT? :cry:
DuLexSidLex
Might just like this board

Unread postby Eriol-kun » June 29th, 2007, 5:07 pm

Ahh, now I know what you mean. Hmm, well, try System Restore for that.

And no, it does not mean a re-format. If you haven't toyed around with XP's settings too much, there is something called System Restore that... "saves" the configuration of your system for situations which you would like to undo, like these.

If you make it an analogy with a visual novel, they would be save points. The nice thing about this, is that they are created in three situations:

1. Automated System Points (periodically by the PC, just to have a timely backup)
2. Every time you install something/uninstall something
3. Manually created points.

[If you want to read a little more on it before trying it, the Help in XP will probably answer any questions.]

It is very likely that if System Restore is active in your PC, (and it usually is unless you took it away/deactivated it for any other reason, e.g. Disk Space) that you will have a recent save point in this week that you can use. Think about it like computer time travel, lol.

Other good things about this are that:

1. If it didn't change whatever you wanted it to change/stop getting, you can always go back to the moment when you activated System Restore.
2. When you use System Restore, recent documents/files are not lost: you'll still have your files there.
3. To have a good computer health, it is recommended to schedule a point at least once per week.

Well, hope that helps.
Eriol-kun
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Superflonic » January 1st, 2008, 1:15 pm

Huh?
AppLocale?
Where do I find that program, and what happens when I start it up without AppLocale?
Does it give you a blue screen filled with random jibberish and an empty error-window?
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby -[J1N]- » January 2nd, 2008, 2:34 am

Yes, that's what happens for some computers. If you have the Eastern Language files installed, and still can't run games such as F/SN, where a blue screen pops up, download AppLocale and use it to run the game. We need a sticky thread about AppLocale -___-
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Superflonic » January 6th, 2008, 8:33 am

-[J1N]- wrote:Yes, that's what happens for some computers. If you have the Eastern Language files installed, and still can't run games such as F/SN, where a blue screen pops up, download AppLocale and use it to run the game. We need a sticky thread about AppLocale -___-

Hm, yes that would be useful.
I replied to this because at the time I didn't know what AppLocale was.

But AppLocale seems to give info about setting variables for one PC, so that the 'temporary solution' called AppLocale becomes unnecessary.
If I find out how that works, and it works with different computers as well, do I get a cookie? :3
Superflonic
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ShikiXNanaya » January 6th, 2008, 9:16 pm

Right now I just have my regional settings to Japanese to run the games without any problems on my computer, but seeing these comments I was wondering:
Is it better to use AppLocale or to set the computer's region settings? Or is it different on Vista?
ShikiXNanaya
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby -[J1N]- » January 6th, 2008, 11:19 pm

ShikiXNanaya wrote:Right now I just have my regional settings to Japanese to run the games without any problems on my computer, but seeing these comments I was wondering:
Is it better to use AppLocale or to set the computer's region settings? Or is it different on Vista?

AppLocale is just a program that helps PC's that have language files installed, but cannot run it properly. If your computer can run programs with different languages, then you don't need AppLocale.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Previous

Return to General Chat