Starting from Scratch

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Starting from Scratch

Unread postby blindrage7363x » June 22nd, 2007, 12:55 am

I am trying to learn how to hack into and edit the content of VN's, with the first subject being an untouched copy of Fate/Stay's semisequel, Fate/Hollow Ataraxia. I have no former knowledge or experience hacking, so im jumping off the plane without the broken parachute (hoping that the 1/99 chance of a successful pull will let me land steady), but i am generally computer literate, so im sure ill be able to figure something out.

Right now im wondering what the best way to start out is. I realize that F/SN's patch did much more than just insert english into an already existing script, but right now, thats the start im looking for. With that goal in mind, i was wondering if there were any programs or resources i should invest in before starting work.

I should describe a little bit about the contents of the installed F/HA folder:
The F/HA folder has no folders, all there is here is data used in the game. The files are:

bgimage.xp3 and bgimage.xp3.sig (917,801kb)

bgm.xp3 and bgm.xp3.sig (215,983kb)

cxdec.tpm (112kb)

data.xp3 and data.xp3.sig (12,413kb)

FateFD.exe (description: TVP(KIRIKIRI) 2 core / Scripting Platform for Win32)

fgimage.xp3 and fgimage.xp3.sig (576,606kb)

image.xp3 and image.xp3.sig (398,362kb)

sound.xp3 and sound.xp3.sig (413,428kb)

video.xp3 and video.xp3.sig (147,878kb)

There is also:
「Fate/hollow ataraxia」インストールチェッカ.exe (des: Digital signature/file integrity check tool)
「Fate/hollow ataraxia」インストールチェッカ.ini (configuration for the above)

krmovie.dll (TVP Movie Playback Support DLL)

...readme.txt

and エンジン設定.exe (des: TVP(kirikiri) configuration tool)

and thats about it. Id really appreciate any advice as to how i should tackle this. Thanks in the mean time, hopefully ill be able to do this on my own after finding a guideline to follow.
"Thats the problem with strengthening, if you try to change something that is already perfect, you risk making it imperfect, so why take the risk?" ~Emiya Shirou, Fate/Stay Night
blindrage7363x
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby blindrage7363x » June 22nd, 2007, 2:21 am

A quick update on my progress

Well, i now have Python and XP3 Tools from Insani, but, i dont know how to use them. I need to run xp3-extract from python, i think, and i dont know where to put the various files to make it run.
"Thats the problem with strengthening, if you try to change something that is already perfect, you risk making it imperfect, so why take the risk?" ~Emiya Shirou, Fate/Stay Night
blindrage7363x
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby blindrage7363x » June 22nd, 2007, 5:20 am

and this is where ive reached a dead end...

Trying to extract from data.xp3 and data.xp3.sig, where, at least i hope, the script for the game is.

I still have no idea how to use Python.

In xp3 tools found on Insani.org/tools is a python file and an executable, "xp3-extract.py" (python file) and "xp3-extract.exe" when running either by itself, python.exe (non command line) opens saying "Please give an input directory and a desired output XP3 archive filename on the command line. Append an optional encryption type"

I cannot figure out how to maKe the mechanics work, but the result should be something like:
xp3-extract.exe

Basically, im wondering at this point how i can run xp3-extract.exe with python, or how i can extract the contents of data.xp3 if there is another way.
blindrage7363x
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Message » June 22nd, 2007, 8:50 am

Python is a programming language, the .py file is the sourcecode for the compiled executable. Given that the tool requires an .xp3 file for both input and output, I would expect that this tool merely decrypts the xp3 file so that the files can be extracted at all. It doesn't extract files itself, you'll need a generic xp3 extraction tool for that.

Unread postby blindrage7363x » June 22nd, 2007, 7:19 pm

Well, ive been working at it for a whole day, and here is where im at with it

As opposed to using Python, since i couldn't really figure it out, I opened data.xp3 (verified, that is the script file) using susie, dragged and dropped the files into another folder, and got the following result:

The only problem i came across was with ONE file, a system\AfterInit.tjs, system file AfterInit.tjs

Im hoping that someone knows a way around this, i need this file so a can repack the whole data.xp3 after ive modified the contents.

In the meantime, im working on collaborating all of the data here into one giant list, divided into groups with (at least most of) the japanese translated, ill post that when ive finished, in case it will be of use to anyone. At the rate im moving at, i should have it done by tommorow.
blindrage7363x
Totally hardly posted

Return to General Chat