StarCraft 2 officially announced!!!

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Excited about the StarCraft 2 announcement?

Yes!!! ZOMGz!?!
76%
No way in hell.
20%
WTF is StarCraft?
4%

Total votes : 25

StarCraft 2 officially announced!!!

Unread postby TheXev » May 19th, 2007, 6:33 am

After almost a 10 year wait, StarCraft 2 is official!

http://pc.ign.com/articles/788/788627p1.html

Are you excited?! I am!!

I'm holding off on getting a new system for sure now!
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Henduluin » May 19th, 2007, 7:40 am

*yawn*

I saw this coming from lightyears away :p (It was actually leaked weeks ago on a Korean website/blog)

To be honest, I never understood what made StarCraft so huge. Sure, it's fun, but it's not all that great. Maybe it's because I grew up with the C&C games instead of SC / WC, I don't know.

Anyhow, I'll probably pick up the demo whenever that gets released and I might pick up the game after that if my pc is able to run it. I'm not going to get another upgrade just for this though.

Now, if it was Diablo III....
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby TheXev » May 19th, 2007, 7:46 am

TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Xavier » May 19th, 2007, 11:59 am

I was a bit disappointed that it isn't Diablo 3, but I guess Starcraft 2 would be enough to satisfy my gaming hunger.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Sobzob » May 19th, 2007, 2:11 pm

Henduluin wrote:*yawn*

I saw this coming from lightyears away :p (It was actually leaked weeks ago on a Korean website/blog)

To be honest, I never understood what made StarCraft so huge. Sure, it's fun, but it's not all that great. Maybe it's because I grew up with the C&C games instead of SC / WC, I don't know.

Anyhow, I'll probably pick up the demo whenever that gets released and I might pick up the game after that if my pc is able to run it. I'm not going to get another upgrade just for this though.

Now, if it was Diablo III....

This is what made starcraft huge:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q154 ... een016.jpg

OMG ZERG RUSH!!! KEKEKEKEKEK

I'm greatly looking forward for it's release.
Sobzob
Crack Addic!

Unread postby mir » May 19th, 2007, 4:20 pm

I'm neither surprised nor excited. At this point, they are just milking old ideas for cash rather than coming up with something original.
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Xavier » May 19th, 2007, 5:00 pm

mir wrote:I'm neither surprised nor excited. At this point, they are just milking old ideas for cash rather than coming up with something original.

True.

I won't be surprised if the next game they're going to make is Warcraft IV.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby TheXev » May 19th, 2007, 5:22 pm

Well, all of you suck! That's right, every single one of you. Back when WoW was announced, everyone expected StarCraft 2 and didn't get it. All we ever wanted was StarCraft in shiny 3D, well, we're finally getting it and it feels good... REAL GOOD. StarCraft 2 is overdue if not only for gameplay improvments, but the addition of new story. If you haven't played StarCraft single player, you are missing out on one of the best RTS storys of all time. WarCraft 3 basicly took StarCraft's story and rehashed it, so if you want to shout lack of originallity, yell at the WarCraft franchise.

If anything the long wait is merely to make the story live up.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Sparky » May 19th, 2007, 5:49 pm

Exactly, I want some Kerrigan pwnage!

Though really, starcraft seems more like a rip off of starship troopers than anything else ^_^. I mean hell, the terran ending in the expansion was just like the movie ending :P

I'm referring to the book series though for the original starcraft, which was published much earlier.
Sparky
Addict

Unread postby mir » May 19th, 2007, 6:22 pm

So in summary, SCII would have:

-storymode single player
-the same 3 races
-few new units and abilities
-graphic upgrade over the previous 1998 standard
-multiplayer
-map editor

so in 10 years they came up with
-probably a few new features to battle net and map editor
-few new units and abilities. Looks like they renamed the dragoons and dark templars. Protoss overlord...
-new engine (lol)
-new story (which better be a great work of fiction if they want me to pay for a storyline. I'm talking Dune quality here).

And that's it? Forgive me for not being terribly excited.
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Henduluin » May 19th, 2007, 6:41 pm

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with mir. Aside from the graphics upgrade, this could've been an expansion pack. Coupled with the fact that they announced this in Korea and have a Korean version now as well, reeks of easy money to me. They know every single Korean will get a copy regardless of the quality (as will most of the Western fans), so they took the easy route.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » May 19th, 2007, 9:49 pm

What's wrong with a rehash of an old game? I never played the original Starcraft, but this'll give me an excuse to try it out now.

Ahh, with this, Hellgate, Melty Blood... I'm gonna have a fun summer (well, this won't be out for a while, but still). My computer so needs a GeForce 8800.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby mir » May 19th, 2007, 11:09 pm

marus wrote:What's wrong with a rehash of an old game? I never played the original Starcraft, but this'll give me an excuse to try it out now.

Ahh, with this, Hellgate, Melty Blood... I'm gonna have a fun summer (well, this won't be out for a while, but still). My computer so needs a GeForce 8800.

There's nothing wrong with a rehash. It's called an expansion pack, it comes a year or so later than the game and is cheaper.

I have a problem with blizzard taking 10 years to feed us a full-priced expansion pack.
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Sparky » May 19th, 2007, 11:17 pm

I really don't quite understand why you are calling it an expansion pack. All sequals are just about the same. A few new units, a few new tweaks to the ui, a few new features. It is rare you see a complete overhaul of the entire game. I mean look at all the really long running series, there's never that much of a difference between each sequal.

But the most recently announced game that perks my eye brow is fallout 3. Fallout 2 was some of the most fun I've ever had, still is. I load it from time to time. I wonder how Fallout 3 will hold up.
Sparky
Addict

Unread postby puKKa » May 19th, 2007, 11:36 pm

indeed it looks interesting and good though I don't really like the design.. it dosnt feel right..
iddqd
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby josephc1989 » May 19th, 2007, 11:52 pm

command and conquer is the same, and u dont see ppl complaining about it. c&c is basically the same units, nicer graphics, a few improvements. the thing about sc is that ppl like it that way. sc was big in the day due to its extremely balanced gameplay. so by doing minor adjustments, they keep that balance
josephc1989
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Ryuusoul » May 20th, 2007, 12:21 am

I'm not a gamer, so I haven't played games like this since the days of Starcraft and Warcraft (original). I'm not going to buy or play SC II.

That being said, I don't know why people are bashing it already as being unoriginal or (insert reason here). I think these people just like to complain in general.
Ryuusoul
The only Shirou fanboy

Unread postby Ellume » May 20th, 2007, 1:05 am

Sparky wrote:But the most recently announced game that perks my eye brow is fallout 3. Fallout 2 was some of the most fun I've ever had, still is. I load it from time to time. I wonder how Fallout 3 will hold up.

Fallout 3? Woot, Sweet deal! I will keep my eyes on that one. :D Yay for the post apocalypse 8)
Ellume
Might just like this board

Unread postby Xavier » May 20th, 2007, 1:27 am

Ellume wrote:
Sparky wrote:But the most recently announced game that perks my eye brow is fallout 3. Fallout 2 was some of the most fun I've ever had, still is. I load it from time to time. I wonder how Fallout 3 will hold up.

Fallout 3? Woot, Sweet deal! I will keep my eyes on that one. :D Yay for the post apocalypse 8)

By Bethesda, maker of Oblivion.

You know what that means? One word: GRAPHICS.

Though I have high hopes that they'll be improving the gameplay but still have the atmosphere that the first and the second one have.
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » May 20th, 2007, 6:58 am

After watching the video again, I'm wondering... what exactly does he do with that cigar once he finishes it?
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to General Chat