New machine? Or not to new machine? That is my question.

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby TheXev » May 19th, 2007, 4:51 am

I?m considering buying a new machine. For the first time ever, I will be buying a ready built machine, and not customizing one. The reasons for this are simple: I want something that is ready to go, and I want installment buying. I?m trying to get a machine that is an awesome gaming machine with payments around $50 a month (trying not to break $60). So far, I?ve configured a Dell 410 to about the options I am looking for.

My Components
Intel Core 2 E6420 Duo Processor(4MB L2 cache,2.13GHZ,1066FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 2 DIMMs
500GB Performance RAID 0 (2 x 250GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM HDDs)
Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
No Monitor
768MB nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX
AGEIA PhysX physics accelerator
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio
My Accessories
No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system)
No Keyboard
No Mouse
13 in 1 Media Card Reader
No Modem
My Software
No Productivity software pre-installed
No Security software pre-installed
No Entertainment software pre-installed
My Service
1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor - Next Business Day
No ISP requested

I know I could always save money on the hard drives, but I honestly want some RAID 0 going. Sure, the data wouldn?t? be recoverable if one of the drives died, but the same goes if I have a single larger drive. lol I?d rather have faster read and write times and will be good for some of the upcoming games I?d like to be playing. No arguments on how useful that would be in particular games, I just wana reduce loading times on EVERYTING I do. I?m not afraid of using Windows Vista and want to be ready for DX10 gaming.

I?d prefer to get similar configuration with a GeForce 8800 with 512MB rather then 768MB, but I can?t find any good companies that offer full customization. Any help would be appreciated.

I?m also wondering if getting a lower model CPU and over clocking it to E6800 speeds would be a better idea then actually buying something like the E6700. I?m not looking for extreme OC performance, but rather a CPU that could patch an E6700 or E6800?s speed.

No ATI vs nVidia talk. I've made up my mind to go nVidia this time around. No Intel vs AMD talk. I love AMD to death, but I can't justify buying an AMD with Intel's performance lead and good pricing.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Message » May 19th, 2007, 6:01 am

I can't really comment on the OC capabilities of the recent E6x20 releases, but one thing I noticed when looking for components for my own upgrade was that PC6400 (800 MHz) is virtually the same price as PC5300/PC5400 (667MHz), at the same CL timings:

Kingston HyperX 2x1GB DDR2 SDRAM PC5400 CL4.0 - EUR 118
Kingston HyperX 2x1GB DDR2 SDRAM PC6400 CL4.0 Nvidia - EUR 123

The Nvidia tag is added because it's "SLI ready", simply meaning that it's got Enhanched Performance Profiles. Truth be told the 6400 timings are 4-4-4-12 while the 5400 timings are 4-4-4-10, but it's still very close. So if Dell isn't completely ignoring the current low prices of DDR2, you might be able to get faster memory for a few extra bucks. You can see the effects of faster memory tested here, btw.

Oh, and the C2D prices are going to plummet in a month or two (see here), so I'm going to wait until then before I buy my system.

Unread postby TheXev » May 19th, 2007, 6:34 am

http://www.revolve-trans.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=643

I am holding off on a new PC! StarCraft 2 announced!
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Message » May 19th, 2007, 6:56 am

lol, if it requires anything more than what you've got up there, even *they* would be hard pressed to find a market to sell in. :P

Return to General Chat