Machine running OS/2

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Atvaark » May 1st, 2007, 5:09 am

oh, just for the heck of it, i made a new machine out of the trash that was lying around my room and some parts recently aquired.

unknown porcessors 2.0 Ghz x2 (yep, a branch in my dad's company closed off, so they were selling all the computer material pretty cheap. even though it's odd...)
i can't even say what model the processors are, there is no info available on it. even weirder:
OS/2 Warp 4.2
simply because for some reason, windows refuses to work on it, only linux and this actually works.
4GB RAM (8 slots of ram, only 2 used by ddr400 memory 2GB sticks, again, weird simply because it wouldn't fit on any other computer models.)
the mainboard model is also unknown, everything on it is written in korean.

didn't have a choice but to put an old 40GB hard drive, that's all i had lying around...

internal sound card. not working because i can't find drivers for it.as for it's brand, i have no clue, since it's onboard.

there is no PCI ports, nor AGP ports, not even ISA ports. video card is onboard too, there too, no idea of it's capabilities...

can anyone help me figure out what the hell it is? even the FCC id site couldn't turn up any info on it...

man. if this was a human shaped computer, i think i landed on a chobits. i just wish i could run windows on it, or mac os...

huh...funny, but even without any drivers or decent OS, it packs a big punch. tried some basic benchmarking program. i was only able to test out processing power, but it outmatches my amd mentioned a few posts above by almost 400%...now i know data often differs from benchmarking programs and OS, but i did also install os2 on my normal machine, just by curiosity. could be the 2 processors against one i guess, but even if i split the results in 2, a n unknown 2Ghz processor is twice more powerful than an 2.084?
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby TheXev » May 1st, 2007, 3:40 pm

Atvaark wrote:oh, just for the heck of it, i made a new machine out of the trash that was lying around my room and some parts recently aquired.

unknown porcessors 2.0 Ghz x2 (yep, a branch in my dad's company closed off, so they were selling all the computer material pretty cheap. even though it's odd...)
i can't even say what model the processors are, there is no info available on it. even weirder:
OS/2 Warp 4.2
simply because for some reason, windows refuses to work on it, only linux and this actually works.
4GB RAM (8 slots of ram, only 2 used by ddr400 memory 2GB sticks, again, weird simply because it wouldn't fit on any other computer models.)
the mainboard model is also unknown, everything on it is written in korean.

didn't have a choice but to put an old 40GB hard drive, that's all i had lying around...

internal sound card. not working because i can't find drivers for it.as for it's brand, i have no clue, since it's onboard.

there is no PCI ports, nor AGP ports, not even ISA ports. video card is onboard too, there too, no idea of it's capabilities...

can anyone help me figure out what the hell it is? even the FCC id site couldn't turn up any info on it...

man. if this was a human shaped computer, i think i landed on a chobits. i just wish i could run windows on it, or mac os...

huh...funny, but even without any drivers or decent OS, it packs a big punch. tried some basic benchmarking program. i was only able to test out processing power, but it outmatches my amd mentioned a few posts above by almost 400%...now i know data often differs from benchmarking programs and OS, but i did also install os2 on my normal machine, just by curiosity. could be the 2 processors against one i guess, but even if i split the results in 2, a n unknown 2Ghz processor is twice more powerful than an 2.084?

I'm sure the reason for the machine having such crazy scores in the benchmarks you can run is because OS/2 uses the 8086 architecture much more aggressively then any Windows operating system... assuming it is a 8086 port of the OS. I doubt you will ever be able to get any version of Windows installed on it, as OS/2 gets a lilttle.. specal... after OS/2 Warp (3).

If you want to get any use out of it, your probably going to have to stick Linux on it and use it like that. You could also try running older verisons of Windows, such as NT 4 or 2000, as I doubt XP will ever boot up (I'd start with Windows 2000).
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Atvaark » May 1st, 2007, 4:35 pm

woah. i didn't think i'd get such attention...and i tried using older windows os, and it won't work at all...well, ok. dos and windows 3.11 worked. but meh. might as well use os2, ah!

and the benchmark results shouldn't have been that far appart, as i said, i also installed os/2 on my regular computer to get a good comparison.

and as for linux, yeah, i could, but since i don't know what kind of hardware is in that beast, i can't install any drivers, and let's just say I'm definitely bad when i have to run off the console...

on the other hand I'm kinda surprised at the possibilities of os/2. i found a site that gives freeware programs for it, and it's decent. surprisingly enough, i didn't need any configuration to hook it up to the net, the onboard lan adapter was recognized as a 3com...it's a Gigabit card too, i guess that's normal since it must have been a file server. what else uses 2 processors and such ridiculously high amount of ram?

file server...maybe i ought to try using novell netware...
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby TheXev » May 1st, 2007, 4:38 pm

That still doesn't solve the problem of finding drivers. Most machines that use OS/2 are made by IBM, so the machine is most likely an IBM and will require IBM drivers.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Atvaark » May 1st, 2007, 4:41 pm

an ibm machine huh? well it's true they made some weird systems and all, but did they make korean machines? i guess i just have to keep searching. it doesn't explain why the FCC ID is not recognized on the net. doesn't all machines or parts that have such a code supposed to be listed there?
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby TheXev » May 2nd, 2007, 3:25 am

Atvaark wrote:an ibm machine huh? well it's true they made some weird systems and all, but did they make korean machines? i guess i just have to keep searching. it doesn't explain why the FCC ID is not recognized on the net. doesn't all machines or parts that have such a code supposed to be listed there?
Where have you been, EVERYTHING is made in Korea these days. lol
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread postby Atvaark » May 2nd, 2007, 12:48 pm

well i...point taken. i lost, you win.
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Return to General Chat