What anime are you watching?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread post by zweiterversuch » April 16th, 2009, 11:17 am

TheRedArcher wrote:
drizzt_rocks wrote:@zwei - The exact reason why I havent bothered watching db kai in jap. The va is just plain horrible. Not that the english dub was genious but it was much better.

Also english goku (the 4th and final one i think) is the greatest goku ever. Hopefully when/if it gets redubbed the original cast can come back.
I also like the english voice acting better. The voices actually matches the characters. Or maybe it sounds that way because I grew up with the english dubbed DBZ.

well... that might be true...
If you have grown up with it, it wouldn't be weird not to think that those voices are wierd...
but man... I want to ask somebody who lives in japanese and a portugiese about it.

btw NO MORE ANIME THIS SEASON! there is nothing worthy it seeems...
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!

Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Raven » April 16th, 2009, 11:39 pm

zweiterversuch wrote: btw NO MORE ANIME THIS SEASON! there is nothing worthy it seeems...
Valkyria Chronicles want a few words with you.

Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Catastrophe » April 17th, 2009, 12:02 am

Raven wrote:
zweiterversuch wrote: btw NO MORE ANIME THIS SEASON! there is nothing worthy it seeems...
perhaps its a bit TOO early ,but.......nonexistant anime in sight <.<

also, waiting for WS vers. of K-On to come out.
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN

Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Raven » April 17th, 2009, 3:04 am

Catastrophe wrote:
Raven wrote:
perhaps its a bit TOO early ,but.......nonexistant anime in sight <.<
Don't know what you meant by nonexistant, but I already watched the first two episodes, fairly entertaining I would say ...

Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Catastrophe » April 17th, 2009, 4:09 am

Raven wrote:1. Don't know what you meant by nonexistant, 2.but I already watched the first two episodes, fairly entertaining I would say ...
1. does "there is no Tsukihime anime" rings a bell? (if not, you need a short pass through Nasuverse 101)
2. the same as the above, is not bad, but the first ep made 2 HUGE mistakes compared with the original story (yes, i DID play it....third run already 8) )

edit: said mistakes are perhaps "repairable", lets see how they behave.
edit2: unless they indeed intended to stray away from the original game story, which would be SHIT
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN

Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Raven » April 17th, 2009, 5:01 am

Catastrophe wrote: 1. does "there is no Tsukihime anime" rings a bell? (if not, you need a short pass through Nasuverse 101)
Well, I'm not on the camp of people who declared "there is no Tsukhime anime". For me it's a beautiful anime and in fact the very series that drags me into visual novel. While I understand Arcuied personality is greatly altered and the anime skipped out a shit load of information comparing to the game, I found it sufficient. In fact, I found what the anime cover is sufficient to get its point across (a love drama anime). I don't know if you remember from discussions in the past but I'm not a hardcore Nasuverse, as in not that I don't know much about it, but in term of I don't find the necessity to follow it to the letter. For the most part I found the information feeding in the game boring after one run, and as much as I find the Arcuied in the game cute, I much prefer the anime version of her. Tsukihime will always remain as one of the most beautiful romantic drama to me, holding the same place as Chrono Crusade. I know Fate/Stay Night is a more faithful adoption of the original story then Tsukihime, but Tsukihime, IMO, is much better crafted.

2. the same as the above, is not bad, but the first ep made 2 HUGE mistakes compared with the original story (yes, i DID play it....third run already 8) )
edit: said mistakes are perhaps "repairable", lets see how they behave.
edit2: unless they indeed intended to stray away from the original game story, which would be SHIT
Oh I think I know what you're talking, I'm surprise at a few alternation during the scene, especially how certain characters are introduced to each other, and yes, I can't say I like the change. However remember we're looking at two different medium here, a game with pure narrative and an full motion anime. I came to the anime fully expecting they will try to dramatize the events a bit comparing to the more relaxing approach of the game. What is important to me in this series is can the characters retain the original charm they process in the game, and so far that haven't been damaged yet.

There is only one thing that worries about after the first two episode is the appearance of a certain character I don't recognize from the game, and from the way Welkin is set up right now it seems that character exits for the purpose of a certain type of drama that I have really grow sick of from all the cheesy drama series. The original setting, ideal, mood, and personality of the characters simply don't have place for that kind of BS. That's the only one thing I'm afraid of happening and I'm crossing my finger it won't, and even if it does, again here praying it won't be anythign more than a humour relief event that won't last for more than half an episode. But other than that I don't have problem with the way they handle things so far. Sure it's a bit different, doesn't mean it's bad.

I love the original work (for anything) as much as the next guy, after all if I don't I won't bother to look at their derivation. However, I'm not too single-minded to let the source material to control my enjoyment ability of an otherwise good work.

abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread post by abscess » April 17th, 2009, 7:20 am

Raven wrote:
I haven't checked that one, but there are some animes that you may find interesting. I've checked:
Guin Saga - based on a long serie of light novels with the same title. Berserk's author favorite. I don't see much to look at at the moment, kinda meh-ish.
K-ON! - Checked it just because another forumite mentioned it. I'ts enjoyable. It's in the same vein of Azumanga Daioh (I think), slice-of-life comedy.
Queen's Blade - I didn't even finish the first episode. Really, really strange, and not strange in a good manner. Even the subbers don't take it seriously! Check it if you have nothing else to do.
Fullmetal Alchemist 2 - The name says it all. If you liked the first anime, you'll like this one too.
07 Ghost - Saw only part of the first ep. It looked a bit interesting, but I didn't see the gimick of the show. It may be promising.
Hajime no Ippo - A sports anime. Boxing this time around. Expect strangely named punches and flashy movements that will make you ask yourself if that's even permitted in the sport. Good, but not quite my thing.
Phantom - It has a longer name but I just can't remember it. From what I can tell, it's an adaptation for Phantom of Inferno. So far it looks good.

@Raven and Cat
... 'k, I'm a bit confused. You guys talking about Phantom: something-or-other requiem? I haven't gone even through one of the routes from PoI, but, judging the anime as an anime and not an adaptation, it seems fairly good. The characters are rather flat in some ways, but it can probably change some time soon.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

Kid-Wolf

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » April 17th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Actuallky K-On can also be described as what would you get if you fused bits of Luky Star and the Haruhi series. Not only that, but what if you split Haruhi's persona in half as well. From the episode I've seen so far I have to say it looks pretty good.

Aside from that I'm also, watching Valkyria Chronicles as well as Asura Cryn'. It seems there is either not that much anime, or Chruncy Roll and some other factors are making it hard to see any decient anime at all for this season.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.

Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Catastrophe » April 17th, 2009, 4:06 pm

abscess wrote: @Raven and Cat
... 'k, I'm a bit confused. You guys talking about Phantom: something-or-other requiem?
...no.....

Raven wrote: 1)Well, I'm not on the camp of people who declared "there is no Tsukhime anime".

2)Oh I think I know what you're talking, I'm surprise at a few alternation during the scene, especially how certain characters are introduced to each other, and yes, I can't say I like the change. However remember we're looking at two different medium here, a game with pure narrative and an full motion anime. I came to the anime fully expecting they will try to dramatize the events a bit comparing to the more relaxing approach of the game. What is important to me in this series is can the characters retain the original charm they process in the game, and so far that haven't been damaged yet.

3) There is only one thing that worries about after the first two episode is the appearance of a certain character I don't recognize from the game, and from the way Welkin is set up right now it seems that character exits for the purpose of a certain type of drama that I have really grow sick of from all the cheesy drama series. The original setting, ideal, mood, and personality of the characters simply don't have place for that kind of BS. That's the only one thing I'm afraid of happening and I'm crossing my finger it won't, and even if it does, again here praying it won't be anythign more than a humour relief event that won't last for more than half an episode. But other than that I don't have problem with the way they handle things so far. Sure it's a bit different, doesn't mean it's bad.

I love the original work (for anything) as much as the next guy, after all if I don't I won't bother to look at their derivation. However, 4) I'm not too single-minded to let the source material to control my enjoyment ability of an otherwise good work.
1) no, no need to actually think that, just trying to get in context of the nonexistant term

2) well, there were some certain changes that i didnt mind (some were actually enjoyable), however like i said, two scenes left me a weird feeling on how can the series behave afterwards.

3) havent seen ep 2 so havent seen said char, however, now that you mention comic relief, there is also a weird change in Welkin's personality, i mean
► Show Spoiler
4) well yeah, if you do so, you are a big fat moron, more so considering the change of format as you said, thats why i'll keep watching. either way, like i said on my 1st post on the matter, is still a bit too early to throw a judgement.
Rus McLaughlin, IGN

abscess

Re: What anime are you watching?

Unread post by abscess » May 4th, 2009, 7:08 am

1st ep of Darker than Black. Looks weird so far.

P.S: Woo!! Forum's back!!
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.

Kid-Wolf

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » May 4th, 2009, 10:30 am

Well I'm also currently watching Pandora Hearts. Finally something that can almost rival Type-Moon in the maccbre in a strange way... I think.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.

Xamdou
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Xamdou » May 4th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Kid-Wolf wrote:Well I'm also currently watching Pandora Hearts. Finally something that can almost rival Type-Moon in the maccbre in a strange way... I think.
Well , i guess one of the reason is because Yuki Kajiura is composing the bgm.
"You sit proudly in this cave , like a Queen of Egypt.
In my service to you , I shall never know rest.
To prove my devotion , I have stolen this ostentatious offering.
But I'll show you things your dark blue eye haven't seen , smiles like a lake in the sun , blossoming like a lotus."

abscess

Unread post by abscess » May 4th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Xamdou wrote:
Kid-Wolf wrote:Well I'm also currently watching Pandora Hearts. Finally something that can almost rival Type-Moon in the maccbre in a strange way... I think.
Well , i guess one of the reason is because Yuki Kajiura is composing the bgm.
Hmm...! I didn't know that. I'll give Pandora Hearts a try.

Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Catastrophe » May 4th, 2009, 5:22 pm

started while the forum was down:

1) Spice and Wolf: (yeah, just now, so what? ¬¬) Horo is awesome!!
2) K-ON!: ZOMFG TEH MOENESS!!!!! also: dibs on Mio, and will fight for her
3) Basquash: mindless lulz, mechas, and basketball; what else can you ask?? (do not mind the so randomly placed fanservice nor the shameless nike product placement :P )
Rus McLaughlin, IGN

solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread post by solopy567 » May 4th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Watching Mai Hime.....I think the manga would be more interesting, but whatever.
"Sion Eltnam is no more.
All there is left is a dead apostle who has inherited the name of TATARI.
Now.....Let's begin the Bloody Second Act." - Sion TATARI

Kid-Wolf

Unread post by Kid-Wolf » May 4th, 2009, 7:12 pm

Catastrophe wrote: 2) K-ON!: ZOMFG TEH MOENESS!!!!! also: dibs on Mio, and will fight for her
Join the club. You're not the only one who has laid, or will lay, calim to her. Heck I clamed her on another forum a few days back though. *chuckles*

zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread post by zweiterversuch » May 4th, 2009, 7:46 pm

CASSHERN SINS!!!

AWESOME!!!! (not as much as tutu but still...)

Specially the intro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3JCbcrqdk
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!

nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!
Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread post by nanaya_shinya » May 6th, 2009, 9:14 am

re-watching Witchblade (anime version) and Gun X Sword
!すでのな

abscess

Unread post by abscess » May 10th, 2009, 6:37 am

Damn! I don't know why I didn't watch Darker Than Black before. It's fucking awesome! The story is serious, even if dealing with people with "super-powers".

Xamdou
DESU DESU!

Unread post by Xamdou » May 10th, 2009, 6:39 am

abscess wrote:Damn! I don't know why I didn't watch Darker Than Black before. It's fucking awesome! The story is serious, even if dealing with people with "super-powers".
Totally agree , the anime is a masterpiece
"You sit proudly in this cave , like a Queen of Egypt.
In my service to you , I shall never know rest.
To prove my devotion , I have stolen this ostentatious offering.
But I'll show you things your dark blue eye haven't seen , smiles like a lake in the sun , blossoming like a lotus."