What anime are you watching?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

What anime are you watching?

Unread postby Sparky » April 19th, 2007, 11:15 pm

So I am bored with WoW now that I got 70, and lacking and wanting in the anime department so I figured I would see what other people are watching so I can steal their idea :wink:

I personally just finished watching Utawarerumono. I enjoyed it a lot, more so than fate/stay night, and it is actually making me have to rearrange my favorite animes. I did have to look for game spoilers though to get to full meaning of the end, though the condensing was not as bad as something like tsukihime. It had a real mononoke hime feel for me, which was one of the four animes that had the biggest impact on my indulgance into anime (those 4 being evangalion, record of lodoss wars, vampire hunter D, and of course mononoke hime). I am really interested in playing through the game now, as I hear text hooker + atlus method yields decent understanding for it. As for the anime, the character development was well done, each character gaining enough independance to make me enjoy them as individuals, and the art style was nice for my eyes.

Before Utawarerumono was Shuffle! which left me kind of "meh". They really did not develop the world enough in that anime to bring out the fullest impact of the events that were happening. It kind of made me sad as the first two episodes had me expecting a lot out of the series.

The next one I am considering is Scrapped princess, does anyone have any feedback on that anime?
Sparky
Addict

Unread postby puKKa » April 20th, 2007, 1:12 am

Scrapped Princess manga was greatly drawn but it was very short. I've never seen the whole anime since I got bored of it after a few eps but my friend liked it and I'll probably see it someday.

go:
Rurounin Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal OVA
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien(Rumblng Hearts?)
Elfen Lied
X-TV
Fafner in the Azure(both series and ova, series first imo)

just look them up and see if you like the setting, though I would see Trust & Betrayal even if I disliked the setting ^^

and ofc your bored after playing wow ;PP
iddqd
puKKa
I kick on girls trying to kill me

Unread postby marus » April 20th, 2007, 3:26 am

I don't watch as much anime as I used to, and I'm not watching any series right now (most of my free time is spent with reading or video games). Some shows I've liked in the past are FLCL, Evangelion, and Higurashi.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby miszou » April 20th, 2007, 3:42 am

scrapped princess was ok, I'm waiting for the light novel too see ho much different that is, so not sure if that is any better.

With x-tv I would almost say, just read the manga, its much better ^^;; Although x-tv has some really good music, making the anime worth.

Elfenlied is also something I would recommend, haven't read the manga, although I know the manga should make more sense of the story actually, still the anime is pretty nice ^^.

Some nice animations that don't have manga, novels or games that tell the story better: FLCL, Cowboy bebop, Noir.
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
All too calm, you hide yourself from reality
Do you call it solitude? Do you call it liberty?
When all the world turns away to leave you lonely
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Sparky » April 20th, 2007, 4:30 am

Yeah Noir is sitting on my shelf unopened still.. I have been meaning to watch it, but for some reason I haven't opened it lol.

Seen elfen leid, liked it a lot, seen everything for ruruoni kenshin and up to book 27 or 28, whatever is out currently of the manga in america.

Before I moved a while ago I was watching one I thought was kind of interesting, but it was on the anime network and I can't remember the name... mad something... It was interesting up to episode 8 or 9 whatever I was on. *EDIT* ha i remembered, Madlax! I think... It was kinda cool, I should pick that one up sometime ^_^.

I am going to have to look into fafner, I like the name at least... Of course I still gotta watch all of escaflowne sometime ^_^. That another unopened one =/

And finish azumanga diaoh! mmmm Sparky likes the funny.

And for some reason kimi ga sounds really familiar, gotta look it up now... I think that was on my list to watch, but I was waiting to find a way to watch.
Sparky
Addict

Unread postby miszou » April 20th, 2007, 5:13 am

watch noir first, then madlax :]

Madlax is made by the same people as noir, but it's just a bit newer. The stories have some similarities. Madlax is the most interesting in the end, so be sure to finish it :]

Best parts of both are the character designs and the music (of Kaijiura Yuki) ^___^

escaflowne of course must be seen through the end too, kind of classic almost. Azumanga daioh is a nice example of an anime that actually made something really good out of the manga. can't get enouygh of that :] If you like it, you might want to see school rumble for some highschool pararodie humor, or if you want extreme randomness, watch Chromartie high where the parody level and randomness surpass the story line, rather funny if you like this kind of things :]
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby X-Calibar » April 20th, 2007, 6:02 am

Hello! This is my first post [hi everybody!] ;) Since I'm about to watch some anime, I figured I'd start here ..!

I've just started watching Twelve Kingdoms yesterday; I hear it ends abruptly but I hear the journey there is a great one... [After DVD 1 [ep 1 - 5] I'm starting to get attached a bit. I have high hopes, and it defintely stands out as an anime! Was surprised by the art style, guess I was expecting something more along the lines of Fushigi Yugi~ I guess I'm behind the times...

The last anime I watched... PRINCESS TUTU! I highly recommend. I've seen quite a few series in my time but that one I really enjoyed. Wonderfully created, I'm shocked that people said it didn't sell that well... :(

And just before Princess Tutu I saw Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 1st and 2nd gig...! It's truly a great series in my opinion. It's not that it's perfect by any means; the stories are mostly episodic, and the endings are debateable. But, watching it on dvd with surround sound [DTS!] on a wide screen, was pure stunning pleasure. The series just feels like it had amazing production values, some sweet characters, excellent music, and a really well painted future.

Before that... I think I saw Texhnolyze, which was ... graphically awesome, I just didn't ever get too attached to that dark world... and that ending/// shazbot!

Azumanga Daioh was excellent btw! I should rewatch it in English sometime...
I can't help it here's a youtube video you might appreciate ;)
lord of the yen - a LoTR's trailer Azumanga Daioh parody lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdisljSbEVc

Azumanga Web Daioh - a little video that brought back some memories lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WW5ybvZyNA

... lol The Knife...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37mPoKQijj8

And as for Escaflowne... That was one of my favorite first anime series that I watched, after Lodoss... Been so long...

EDIT: Oh and I'd like to see Scrapped Princess sometime..! I'm not expecting a super series, but it interested me soon as I first heard about it...

EDIT: Used this post to figure out why I couldn't post a new topic! Took a few edits but I figured it out! [I had an e with the apostrophe on top of it...]
Last edited by X-Calibar on April 22nd, 2007, 11:28 pm, edited 14 times in total.
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby miszou » April 20th, 2007, 6:51 am

Yeah 12 kingdoms changes a bit after a while. Since the light novels are being sold In English, I think I'll give the story another try ^___^ Although I liked the first few eps alot :]
You are here alone again
In your sweet insanity
miszou
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Sparky » April 20th, 2007, 7:38 am

yeah 12 kingdoms was one that really caught my eye, but the art style is different that fushigi yugi? Lol I was expecting the exact same from the boxart really. I have only seen the first few dvds of fushigi yugi though, my fiance has the whole series somewhere in her section with all the sailormoon stuff.... I know way too much sailor moon information for a male really (Sailor moon R, S, and stars being the ones I know I have seen, think I am missing Super S) .

I should really post my wall of anime! It is probably my most prized possession atm, though that might change if I ever upgrade my comp again :P But there are so many good titles! And I don't even have the VHS collection up yet, that has some of the real classics ^_^

I think I have settled on trying to watch Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien next. I have been putting it off since F/S Night because I didn't really want to have my heart wretched out again... of course then I went and played all of Tsukihime, hit the far side of the moon and there went THAT idea. I still am not looking forward to it, but it looks very good to me all the same, and I do enjoy that emotion a lot, but too much puts me in a down mood for days, even weeks sometimes. But then again, I happy when it rains... so if it rains, I hope it pours...

After that I will prolly lighten up with some Azumanga Daioh again, and then hit Noir and pick up Madlax ^_^. That should last me a week! :P
Sparky
Addict

Unread postby Sparky » April 21st, 2007, 7:28 am

Started kimibou today... finished kimibou today.... /cry, azumanga daioh time
Sparky
Addict

Unread postby Sparky » May 4th, 2007, 8:40 am

So my friend loaned me his Basilisk set... wow... that was friggin cool.

Some of the beginning stuff made me go... uh.... like the dude with no arms and legs... but at the end, all the cool ninjas were out and it was friggin awesome.
Sparky
Addict

Unread postby Xavier » May 5th, 2007, 12:35 pm

Currently: None

In the past: Girls Bravo...............>_>
Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chetyre » May 5th, 2007, 3:13 pm

Lucky Star, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS and Claymore

might start watching Sola as well and I'm waiting on Devil May Cry and Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni season 2
"I wouldst call thee foolish...But thou art mortal. Thou cannot go against thy nature, no more than a fish could walketh upon the firmament"
~Fou-Lu
Chetyre
Addict

Unread postby md » May 5th, 2007, 7:21 pm

Romeo and Juliet. That's it. I'll poke in and watch StrikerS if someone tells me that Nanoha has a great divine-buster XXX death kamehamea scene. Otherwise, not much interesting me.
md
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Chetyre » May 5th, 2007, 7:30 pm

of course nanoha will have a great ultra attack of death later on, though it better be Starlight Breaker than divine buster. so far she seems to be only using axel shooter though
"I wouldst call thee foolish...But thou art mortal. Thou cannot go against thy nature, no more than a fish could walketh upon the firmament"
~Fou-Lu
Chetyre
Addict

Unread postby mir » May 5th, 2007, 9:32 pm

Chetyre wrote:Lucky Star, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS and Claymore

might start watching Sola as well and I'm waiting on Devil May Cry and Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni season 2

Wha wha wha...season 2 of Higurashi no naku koro ni is out already?

Oh and I have to agree with Lucky star, show is pure gold. Sola is alright from what i saw (ep1-4). I just wish the guy wasn't such an airhead =)
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Chetyre » May 5th, 2007, 9:53 pm

pretty much every anime male in those kinds of shows is an air head...

and no, higurashi 2 is not out yet, which is why I said I'm waiting for it
~Fou-Lu
Chetyre
Addict

Unread postby mir » May 5th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Drats. Seems 07 is the season 2 year. What do we have so far...
Haruhi 2
Higurashi 2
Shana 2
Zero no tsukaima 2

Oh and true, most of the guys for shows like Sola are airheads, but this particular one is an airhead photographer that likes to stare at the sky....which on its own makes him especially useless.
mir
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Chetyre » May 5th, 2007, 10:24 pm

the show does seen interest though... and yeah, July is indeed a good month for anime watchers. it must be my birthday present since I was born in July
~Fou-Lu
Chetyre
Addict

Unread postby mir » May 5th, 2007, 11:00 pm

....and it sparked another Rozen Maiden rerun for me.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/l0k/sola2.jpg

"And now that the weekly episode is done, what do I do? I know, Traumend!!!"

/sigh
mir
Crack Addic!

Next

Return to General Chat