What anime are you watching?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Re: What anime are you watching?

Unread postby Watashimo » December 26th, 2009, 10:31 pm

solopy567 wrote:Railgun 13

Every time an episode end I keep thinking its the last episode, but there is another one after this yay!

I know what you mean. I looked it up and apparently theres suppose to be 24, even though when I looked it up before I could have swore there was only 13.
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » December 27th, 2009, 6:23 am

Darker than Black s2 ep12
It was....
Umm.... Confusing.......
I hope this season has another part to it instead of having to wait for another season coming probably two years later, because as it is, it's just fucking confusing. It's not even rage inducing, yet it feels that they wanted to jump the shark but were stopped midways while in the air.... It's strange.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Raven » December 27th, 2009, 9:06 am

Hey abscess, ever think you should apply for Zero Punctuation magazine? You're very ... creative with your way of writing preview.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » December 27th, 2009, 8:27 pm

^Agreed. I have to say that we latino people have some amazing super powers. Like bringing a 360 back from the dead and then having its DVD drive die, effectivly rendering the first effort useless. eating food gone bad with no consequences (true story). And then we have abscess.
If you disagree, you are wrong.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby abscess » December 28th, 2009, 12:43 am

Well, thank you. And I thought that I was just babbling to myself the whole time. But, from my understanding, Zero Punctuation is a series of reviews by Yahtzee; that being just a part of The Escapist, a gaming online magazine. Meaning that they most likely have nothing to do with anime and probably don't want to.

And yeah, us latinos have superpowers! like re-colonizing previously taken land and joking about it being a plan, among other super-awesome stuff :)

Well, back on topic: I'm looking for a serious series with a minimum of gags, any length (except Gundam). Recommendations?
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby Raven » December 28th, 2009, 3:06 am

I would highly recommend Glassfleet. It's Escaflowne in space, except the characters act accordingly to their role and not drown in stupidity like Escaflowne. Pretty much serious from beginning to end. in fact ... TOO serious.

http://www.funimation.com/glassfleet/
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mazyrian » December 28th, 2009, 11:45 am

Simoun is a very good series with basically no gags.
Gasaraki is another very serious series, though maybe a little on the boring side (for me at least).
Boogiepop Phantom and Lain are other things I always recommend (more mind-screwy than the former).
"I am the spider that set this web.
-Welcome to this wonderful killing chamber."
Mazyrian
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » December 29th, 2009, 2:55 am

Kemono no Souja Erin 50
It... was... *sniffle*....it was good... ;.)
It has much of what I expected from the final episode, Well, except for naked ladies, but that would be out of context.
-Enough animal massacre to piss off PETA? check. *
-Something bad happening to the main character? check.
-A character getting axed? check.
-Managing a good ending after that?.... you check it out.

A very nice ride. Some of the first episodes were kinda weak, but served to develop the main character quite well. The same with some supporting ones that were unlikable, others unbearable, but most served their need.
There are other Kemono no Souja novels, two were published while the anime was still running IIRC, that makes me wonder if those will also be animated or left alone.

*Well, it's not all that graphic, since it's still aimed at younger audiences, I think. But it gives enough of the idea.

FMA:B 38
Another good one. The development takes it's time, but it's damn well worth it.
Now that we are this far in the series, comparing both the original and this one, IIRC, Ed was prone to give words of enlightment in pretty much every ep in the original, which is good and all that, but needs the suspension of disbelief when you are considering that it's a friggin 15 year old kid (or around that age); while in this one he appears to be still learning the ropes of what to do and when, meaning that he just can't give much speeches like in the other one.

Now that Ed is not as mature (which makes the character feel sorta fresh, after having watched 50-something eps from the the original), the series depends much more on secondary characters: Mustang, Hawkeye, Armstrong, etc. and that is, to me, a good thing, that way the main character doesn't over grow into a know-it-all do-it-all, which most Sues are.
That's why I'm liking this series better than the other one, even if it feels it's a bit more kiddy oriented with all the sudden gags.
I just hope Scar doesn't go all emo and pulls a narm moment like he did in the other one.

Glass Fleet ep1
First Impression:
Mmm'kay, getting past the overly stylized clothing that gives those "fabulous" vibes of 'em being directly taken from some gay pride parade, and the dude named Betty (okay, it's Vetti, but who cares about a leter or two?) it falls into a battle between numerous warships leaded by two aristocratic men (one of them being Betty), with questionable quirks. Sounds like fun, doesn't it? Well, actually, it is. I liked the short battle and the fact that they showed people actually dying in it. It keeps the sense of it being a war. Anyway, I swear! during it I was expecting Vyse and the Blue Rogues to pop out any minute to set things right... Sadly they didn't. Oh well, moving on.

The rest is spoiler tagged just in case, though there are no really alarming thing in there:
Betty, after obliterating a surrendered enemy fleet, goes on to spew to the masses about how fabulous he is having defeated the Aristocrat Alliance that looked only for themselves, not the little people, and will now establish a new empire to unite the galaxy (it's obvious from scene-1 that Betty is a bad guy, but when the word "empire" appears, you all know that it just got serious). The speech ends with a thunderous applause.

The scene changes to show Ryuuken Ishima from Maria Holic some guy with a sword babbling about the era needing a savior, then changes again to an elaborate wedding ceremony, officiated by a flamboyantly dressed bishop, between two aristocrats. But lo! Who are those that stopped the ceremony!? It is Ryuuken Ishima Michel Volban and the Blue Rogues! err, People's Army! The People's Army begin to attack the aristocrats while Michel goes on a short speech of it being time to kick Betty's ass for being a hypocritical bastard, hinting that it has been some time since Betty established the "Evil" Empire, then the commoners present there begin to riot.

Well, I'll leave the spoilers at that, check the first episode for the rest.

It feels like a blend of Captain Harlock and Skies of Arcadia, two of the finest grains in the market. The artistic style remidns me a lot of Gankutsuou (the Count of Montecristo anime) for some reason, and the space-ships with retro technology is amusing and interestingly imaginative at the same time. It does have it's bad side, but it's minimal so far: Although it does seem serious, it feels too easy to spot the "good guy" and the "bad guy" of the story from the get-go, which isn't a good thing in my book. Another thing that bothers me are the clothes, they are not just wacky clothes, but by how elaborate or simplistic they are it's easy to guess which one is a main character and which isn't. And somehow the space maid seems out of place.

Well, I'll definetly give it a chance. Thanks for the recommendation.

The credits song sucks, though.

Mazyrian wrote:Simoun is a very good series with basically no gags.
Gasaraki is another very serious series, though maybe a little on the boring side (for me at least).
Boogiepop Phantom and Lain are other things I always recommend (more mind-screwy than the former).

I remember checking out Boogiepop Phantom... I can't remember if I liked it or not, just that I didn't finish watching it. And Lain was a nice trippy anime that I haven't re-watched in some time. Supposedly some of the ones responsible for creating it are working on another very similar to Lain, but can't remember the title.
I'll check Simoun later and perhaps talk a bit about it.
abscess

Unread postby Raven » December 29th, 2009, 8:52 am

abscess wrote:Mmm'kay, getting past the overly stylized clothing that gives those "fabulous" vibes of 'em being directly taken from some gay pride parade, and the dude named Betty (okay, it's Vetti, but who cares about a leter or two?) it falls into a battle between numerous warships leaded by two aristocratic men (one of them being Betty), with questionable quirks.

I won't spoil it for you, but let me just say .... you'll guarantee to find some extreme moments later with that line of thought, good or bad I don't know. But I bet you remember this thread when you watch it. XD

Although it does seem serious, it feels too easy to spot the "good guy" and the "bad guy" of the story from the get-go, which isn't a good thing in my book. Another thing that bothers me are the clothes, they are not just wacky clothes, but by how elaborate or simplistic they are it's easy to guess which one is a main character and which isn't.

This series isn't about 180 decree plot twist, rather it prefer to show you how good or how bad something someone is, not which.

Well, this is my full review posted on another forum, spoiler free.

When I started my hunt for a space opera series, I meant a space opera in an anime sense: epic battles within the grandiose of space, dramatic plots twist ...etc... What I found are all that ... and beyond. Glass Fleet is a space opera in an opera sense like Romeo&Juliet, Hamlet, Medea.

The story background setting is of a 17th medieval feudal systems where people travel around in horse carriages, parties are hold under the magnificent of candle lights and classical orchestras. Noble settles their honor sword duels, and the political system is a struggle of balance between kings, nobles, aristocrats, religion and the peasants. When the time comes to settle their differences, epic battles are fought ... with space battleships WTF!?!? Seriously, how on earth the Japanese can come up with a setting like this anyway, if you think the magical steampunk of Metal Alchemist is strange, Glass Fleet's setting disparity is in a class of its own.

In a way, you can say it's Escaflowne in space but that comparison feels almost like an insult to Glass Fleet. While the atmosphere are similar, Escaflowne's story was about a punk that couldn't tell left to right and a girl who doesn't know what direction her hormones flowing, Glass Fleet has a very coherent casts. Ideal, love, betrayal, loyalty, honor, illusion, madness, pride ...etc... are mixed together very well to create some of the most beautiful character development that's suitable to an opera. Each episode with its own screenplay and narrative, and the story and narrative have a stageplay rather than a conventional flow. It's one of the anime that has the perfect casts, the perfect narrative, and a brilliant setting, as well as a very good quality dub. This series could have become one of my top favorite series of all time ... if it's not for the last two episodes. While the entire series have feel like an opera, the last two episodes sadly fail into anime cliche. If I have to describe it, it was like after a process of handpick fresh ingredients from the farm, carefully cut and professionally scramble, the omelet is over-cooked on the oven. It wasn't burnt badly enough to spoil the dish, but it makes you irritate at the thought how much of the afford was wasted. In any case, it's definitely a shinning gem in my collection as of now.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Chaos Chaud » January 4th, 2010, 12:12 am

Finally starting second season of Asura Cryin'
"Let Chaos consume your soul, and you won't be neither good nor evil, neither light nor darkness. You will be hollow, will be future, will be freedom." -Chaos Chaud
"You defeat him" -GARcher
"Drown in your ideals and die" -GARcher
"My spine hurts. My body is cold. My fingers are frozen. Yet, my brain burns with fire."- T. Shiki
Chaos Chaud
Crack Desu!

Unread postby solopy567 » January 7th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu episode 1

It's pretty awesome!
"Sion Eltnam is no more.
All there is left is a dead apostle who has inherited the name of TATARI.
Now.....Let's begin the Bloody Second Act." - Sion TATARI
solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » January 7th, 2010, 5:33 pm

Dance in the Vampire Bund episode 1. One thing comes to mind here, an that's Killer Loli Vampire.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby solopy567 » January 8th, 2010, 3:47 am

^^ Watched it just now too.

Another mind screw from the makers of Bakemonogatari....What were their names again?

Edit: A, their name was SHAFT...Of course

Also watched Ookami Kakushi 1 . The way the guy receives attention is almost too unreal. I wonder if they are tricking him or something.
But, as expected of of Ryukishi07, he makes really mind fuck series.
"Sion Eltnam is no more.
All there is left is a dead apostle who has inherited the name of TATARI.
Now.....Let's begin the Bloody Second Act." - Sion TATARI
solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » January 9th, 2010, 2:38 pm

Glass Fleet ep 3
This episode managed to bug me real bad, the animation looks DATED. "It's from 2006, what the hell did you expect?" Yeah, yeah, I get that, now look at Ghost in the Shell: SAC, it's from 2002-2003 and the animation is better overall. The animation quality looks like something taken from the 80s, maybe early 90s. Maybe they wanted to go for a retro-style sorta look in this episode, but it honestly hurts more than give feelings of nostalgia, at least to my tastes. I hope that they don't pull this off again in the series.
Moving from the "superb" animation, lemme tackle the important thing here, the story:
Getting past the novelty mixed with nostalgia that the first episode gave me, it's proving to be a damn hard task trying to take serious any of the characters: The shota infatuated with Betty, the egocentric rebelious captain, the too-proud-for-his-own-good captain that lost his ship, the space maid, not to mention Betty himself... I dunno man, they feel like caricatures instead of well rounded, or at least interesting, characters so far.
I can't say much of the plot development since I was too engrossed on the lack of likable characters and crappy animation in this episode, but it did develop.
It turns out that the rebelius cap'n is apparently destined to unite the galaxy... or so he believes, because Betty got the same message from a prophet, or whatever it was.
That pretty much summarizes the episode. It was baaaaad.

Edit:
FSN 24 en español!
For those of you who were wondering about Shirou's famous line
Spanish:
"Si te hieren fuertemente mueres, y así es como debe ser"
Rough trans:
"If you are seriously wounded you should die, and that's how it should be"
Fan-subs:
"People die if they are killed, [and that's how it should be]"
What is in brackets I don't remember pretty well, so it may not be exactly that.

A nice "addendum":
Spanish:
Gil: "Te haré tragar tantas cosas que pareceras embarazada"
Rough trans:
Gil: "I'll make you swallow so many things that you'll appear pregnant"

I have NO idea if this line was in the original, but it was DAMN lulzy that it had to be mentioned here.

I missed a lot of the episodes because of animax's smart move of changing it's timeslot without a single notice into a very crappy one (7 am in saturdays?! WTFF!?), then airing it sometimes and sometimes not, so I missed a lot of eps, including Archer's... Oh well, I'll try to catch the final one.
abscess

Unread postby Chaos Chaud » January 10th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Finally watched Umineko last episode, and OMFG!!!
"Let Chaos consume your soul, and you won't be neither good nor evil, neither light nor darkness. You will be hollow, will be future, will be freedom." -Chaos Chaud
"My spine hurts. My body is cold. My fingers are frozen. Yet, my brain burns with fire."- T. Shiki
Chaos Chaud
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ArchDemon » January 16th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE
ArchDemon
Executive Director

Unread postby abscess » January 19th, 2010, 12:30 am

Hagane No Renkinjutsushi 40
i think FMA:B is a pretty cool guy. eh stabs women in their bellies with bare hands and doesn't afraid of anything.
In non-retard:
More info on Hohenheim is most of the times a good thing, mainly because this one is much better than the one from the original series. I also liked the exposition of how Roy Mustang gets his info, there isn't too much talk involved yet they get the message through to the audience.
abscess

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » January 19th, 2010, 5:56 am

I can't agree with you more abscess. I mean this time they actually show the backstory of Hoenheim. I mean it pretty much explains why "Father" looks exactly like him now. Also, it gives a good reason on why he acts like such a badass now.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Chaos Chaud » January 23rd, 2010, 3:35 pm

Dance in the Vampire Bund 3
Chaos Chaud
Crack Desu!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » February 17th, 2010, 9:13 am

OmaHima episode 6...again.
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat