What anime are you watching?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Impractic_Shiki
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Impractic_Shiki » May 31st, 2007, 11:41 pm

The Lucky Star opening was the only part I liked of the show myself. I tried watching it but quickly scrapped it as not for me.

Great show for loli-con favorers though.

Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Atvaark » June 1st, 2007, 3:53 am

bah. i agree it picks up way too slowly, but it's not so bad...i chuckled a few times...favorite part was those mini shows at the end of it. that is hilarious.

mir
Crack Addic!

Unread post by mir » June 7th, 2007, 1:47 am

I finally got over myself and started watching Maria-sama ga Miteru. I absolutely hate how they drew the eyes, just like I hated Nana. But aside from that, I enjoy the vibe I get from the show, and especially the manner they speak in. I guess Strawberry Panic! was based on it, but at least panic went 1up with better art and the most important of all: Shizuma's fabulous hair. That said, I'm enjoying Maria-sama ga Miteru, not a bad show at all =)

A.R.C.C.
Addict

Unread post by A.R.C.C. » June 7th, 2007, 6:01 am

I'm currently searching for something new to get into, having exhausted my supply. Regarding some of the series that have been mentioned here...

I was very into Shakugan no Shana for the first 8 episodes, but I became terribly disappointed after that; I felt that the love triangle business should have been more decentralized. It felt like the number of times that I found it exciting after that point could be counted on one hand, which should not happen at all in an anime about a girl with blazing angel wings and a huge flame-sheathed katana. I like drama, but it wasn't done too well and it was at the expense of significant potential.

I absolutely loved Kanon 06, being a big fan of the game. They did a very good job with all the characters, and I was very happy with how they handled Mai favorite arc. (Hmm, another sword. Nope, I don't see a trend here at all). It seems KyoAni has finely honed the art of making grown men cry.

I really can't wait for Haruhi's second season, especially if, as everybody expects, it will center around the fourth book.

I think I really feel the need to point out a gem called Kino no Tabi, or Kino's Travels. If you watch a lot of heavy anime, this is like a pitcher of fresh-squeezed lemonade after working outside in the summer for several hours. It's about a tomboyish girl and a talking motorcycle who travel the world, never staying in one place for more than three days. It's not a comedy in any sense, and is full of existentialism and serious themes, but somehow has a really light, easygoing vibe that makes you just feel like everything has on your shoulders has been momentarily lifted away. The art is a really beautiful watercolor-like style, and the opening theme is breezy and refreshing.

And Lucky Star is so disturbingly "cute" I have to wait at least three days between watching episodes, or my brain locks up and needs to be rebooted somehow. I showed the opening to my roommate (who doesn't like anime and therefore has absolutely no resistance to anything) on a whim, and. . . well, the results weren't pretty at all. I think that this sort of thing could be an extremely potent crowd-control tool in certain circumstances.
Wai for Kawasumi Mai!

Impractic_Shiki
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Impractic_Shiki » June 7th, 2007, 7:18 am

I really can't wait for Haruhi's second season, especially if, as everybody expects, it will center around the fourth book.
That was a rumor and an expectation of many of a second season that was supposed to air in the summer.

http://www.animeph.com/anime-season-lis ... -2007.html

That guy even had it up for a while before removing it. <_< But as far as I know...no Haruhi 2nd season.

A.R.C.C.
Addict

Unread post by A.R.C.C. » June 7th, 2007, 8:29 am

I knew about that hoax a long time ago. Rather, it seems to me that the Haruhi property isn't going to get dropped anytime soon. I would personally think the odds of it not getting a second season are so small as makes no odds. Given Kyoani's current schedule, 2008 is the soonest something like that could be released though.

Hmm, that link is a different site than the one I heard the hoax from. The origins are probably the same though.
Wai for Kawasumi Mai!

Impractic_Shiki
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Impractic_Shiki » June 7th, 2007, 2:28 pm

It would make sense but popular franchises aren't always continued...

A prime example is Berserk.

Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Xavier » June 22nd, 2007, 1:45 am

Watching Utawarerumono and, I must say, it's pretty DAMN good.

I can't wait till the dudes in Soylation (something) translates the game.

blindrage7363x
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by blindrage7363x » June 22nd, 2007, 6:38 am

I was glancing at the Fate/Stay anime for a while, since i started playing the game recently. The anime im currently watch is .Hack//Sign, im catching up with the classics (I only finished NGE two months ago, lol)

Im all for lucky star though, just cant watch more than one episode at a time, or i get a migraine
"Thats the problem with strengthening, if you try to change something that is already perfect, you risk making it imperfect, so why take the risk?" ~Emiya Shirou, Fate/Stay Night

Pierrot
Posting more than n00bs

Unread post by Pierrot » June 25th, 2007, 1:48 pm

On television:
Black Lagoon. (I keep telling people it will be the next big thing)
CODE GEASS.
Ayakashi Ayashi.

I need to rent the Hellsing OVA.
I think I really feel the need to point out a gem called Kino no Tabi, or Kino's Travels
I haven't seen the anime but I own all of the novels released til now (volume X and the self parodying Gakuen Kino [Kino+School Uniform...:3).
It's an experience hard to put in words, but I also recommend it wholeheartedly.
The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.

Sobzob
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Sobzob » June 25th, 2007, 2:09 pm

Right now I'm watching;
Bleach
Claymore
Darker than BLACK
Death Note
Devil May Cry
Gintama
Hayate no Gotoku!
Kaze no Stigma
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS
Mai Otome Zwei(waiting for last episode)
Murder Princess
Nagasarete Airantou
Seto no Hanayome
Shining Tears x Wind
Shinkyoku Soukai Polyphonica
sola
Tales of Symphonia
Touka Gettan
Tsukuyomi -Moon Phase-

That's about it.
Bleach is a real failure tho.

DrmChsr0
Might just like this board

Unread post by DrmChsr0 » June 25th, 2007, 5:07 pm

I'm watching NOTHING.

because I CAN'T WATCH ANYTHING lest I get SUED TO DEATH by some greedy, dumb capitalists for BREAKING THE BERNE CONVENTION or get WHINED ON by RETARDS. (And no, not them Narutards and/or Bleachtards and/or DeathNote yaoi fangirls.)

I live in a horrible country.
That note.

That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note. That note.

Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Xavier » June 25th, 2007, 9:23 pm

DrmChsr0 wrote:I'm watching NOTHING.

because I CAN'T WATCH ANYTHING lest I get SUED TO DEATH by some greedy, dumb capitalists for BREAKING THE BERNE CONVENTION or get WHINED ON by RETARDS. (And no, not them Narutards and/or Bleachtards and/or DeathNote yaoi fangirls.)

I live in a horrible country.
Can't even watch it on Youtube? Damn.

Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Raven » June 26th, 2007, 1:25 am

Currently watching nothing, but it's because I just finished a few of them:

Elfen Lied.
Tsukihime.
Mai HiME.
Tsukuyomi.
Shakugan no Shana.

Although right now I'm waiting for something concrete about a hopeful third season of Seikai no Senki.

@ Impratic_shiki, the background wallpaper of the site in your link, is that just a random art of from a series, it looks awesome!

TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Unread post by TheXev » June 26th, 2007, 6:27 am

Impractic_Shiki wrote:AIR? Gao-girl? It was nice but...I disliked the ending.
► Show Spoiler
I was given Shana to watch now rather. It's not bad from the first three episodes, but I don't see an obsessive quality to it. It's somewhat dark thus far. Zero no Tsukaima is often labeled the "new" Shana but it's a comedy. I liked that much better. But perhaps my mind will change later---right now Shana is giving me a Rozen Maiden meets Bleach vibe.
I read the first vol of Shakugan no Shana the comic, and I find it to be much better in every way. I can see how the plot automatically locks you in unlike the anime, since the seriousness of the main characters situation is defined by the end of the first volume (which is done in 3+ episodes on the anime). I think the main draw of SnS anime in Japan was the fact that you already knew the plot was going to be totally awesome because you read the comic...
Chetyre wrote:I hear too much about Code Geass... but I'll think I'll wait till the series end(did it already?) before trying it, I usually don't like mecha shows so I'm avoiding it as long as I can
Okay, this show doesn't really start to be really awesome, until ep 20. If you can hang on until ep 20, you will be hooked for life. A 2nd season is now planned due to its overwhelming popularity, and the last ep has been rewritten and reanimated to fit into a multiseason plot-line (it wasn't supposed to have 2 more eps in the season.. i only ever heard of one more episode being planned). I really enjoy Code Geass because it does what Gundam series have done wrong for so so long. It has an awesome plot, and highly developed characters, without many super minor characters getting in the way.

It seemed there where other series that where planned to last longer like Code Geass will, such as Scrapped Princess... but popularity plays a big factor in series like that.

View spoiler if you've seen all of what has been currently shown.
► Show Spoiler
Other then that, I've broken out of anime and have been watching Super Sentai and Kamen Rider. I blame the Cutie Honey Live Action movie for starting me down this path. Super Sentai is really completely different from Power Rangers, and its amazing that the target audience is pretty much the same as it is here.

In 2008 we'll finally get a REAL taste of what Kamen Rider is with a US version of Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight! I can only hope that they'll do Kabuto as some point after (featuring the original Kabuto as he speaks fluent and unbroken English), and fix the plot of the last 20 episodes of a series that started out absolutely awesome (if they bring it over). No 4kids, of Disney... i can only hope they do it justice like it deserves (unlike Saban's terrible adaptation of Kamen Rider Black RX as "Masked Rider").

Who knows, maybe Kamen Rider is the next "Hercules" ready to happen?

As far as "must see" animes that I recommend that not many people see... go watch Touch. Its old.. REAL old... and i had a terrible time making it threw the first 3 episodes without making fun of it for various reasons.. but after that, I begin to see why it was the highest rated anime of all time in Japan. The characters are down right real, and believable, and so is everything they do. Its a real drama worth watching.

mir
Crack Addic!

Unread post by mir » June 30th, 2007, 7:57 pm

Just finished Gift ~eternal rainbow~

Series was alright, I did not expect the "Rena moment" in there. Although it lacked the psycho laugh (again, Rena's laugh is in a league of its own...even though MB's Red Arc comes close), it did have the eyes.

Setting:
► Show Spoiler
The art was pretty, voice actors did a great job as well. I really enjoyed the ending theme as well. Only complain is that the show is the short variant (12ep). Probably getting the single for the ending soon...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=021BTXvXC6k

Next up:
-Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
-Lovely Idol

Impractic_Shiki
Crack Addic!

Unread post by Impractic_Shiki » July 1st, 2007, 1:24 am

@ Impratic_shiki, the background wallpaper of the site in your link, is that just a random art of from a series, it looks awesome!
Pretty sure it's just a generic artwork with no tie.

Xavier
Crack Desu!

Unread post by Xavier » July 23rd, 2007, 9:44 pm

I'm currently watching Rizelmine.

Shut up.

TakaJun

Unread post by TakaJun » July 26th, 2007, 5:33 am

I'm watching Zetsubou Sensei.
It has so much inside jokes :D

TsukiBaka
Totally hardly posted

Unread post by TsukiBaka » July 27th, 2007, 4:57 am

I'm watching Darker than BLACK. It seems like it has so much potental, so I must watch.
I recently finished Shakugan no Shana (loved it, I think I heard they were making a second season *crosses fingers*), and Death Note....all I can say is :shock: Kinda wish it wasn't over, but it was a great ride.

Looking for something else to get into, I'll probably find something good looking through some earlier posts. :D