Post japanese games that you find particulary good.

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Post japanese games that you find particulary good.

Unread postby Atvaark » February 11th, 2007, 7:43 pm

well, i just want to know about everyone's preferences over Japanese games. i want to buy some new ones but i pretty much ran out of titles to buy.Just do like I'm doing now, post your personal experience with the game, but don't spoil any of the story

my latest acquisition is School days. i really like the fact that it's nearly entirely animated, and the way the system works is pretty interesting too...it's voiced, a bit...no, very funny during the H scenes. There is only 2 girls to choose from,at first, and of course your choices affect your affection level between the 2 of them. there is bad endings of course...traumatizing to say the least. if i understood Japanese, i could enjoy it a lot more than i actually do now, but fortunately, even if you can't read the story, it,s pretty easy to figure out what ending you're gonna get. The story, from what i understood, is basically a love triangle with you as the main guy ( probably the most pathetic and indecisive guy i ever faced. i wish i could slug him, lol. on top of the screen, with a mouse over feature, are the playing options (as i said, animated and voiced, so it's a must feature) and on top of those is a bar, with the names of the 2 girls. in that bar, a line wavers towards the current girl you,re planning to get, and it moves around at each choice. pretty handy. of course to get the good end a certain point must be reached, otherwise, you can take a guess...i only cleared it twice (both the same girl, but with good and bad end...) i haven,t figured out a way to get sub-character endings, i don,t even know if you can get any other than the 2 main girls. overall, pretty well made game, i wish someone would be able to make a translation of this, but honestly, it would be an inhuman amount of work to do so...(only way would be to add subtitles to every sequence, as there is not a lot of written text on screen, voiced, remember) but i can dream, no? hehe...anyway, I'd recommend this game to anyone but those with a faint heart (eternity ending, way to scar someone for life, lol), so pick it up! i got it from Himeyashop, for about 95 bucks US (shipping and handling raised that to 137 for me...) and i don,t regret it. oh, beware though. it requires a pretty strong machine to play...it's a dual layer dvd on top of it. i think it takes a 1.2Ghz system with 512 MB ram to run...and it NEEDS your computer to be setup in Japanese. oh, and those who will just download it, burn in hell. thanks.

*update* i just ordered Kagetsu Tohya. i can't wait.And for those who want to try the game without buying it, the main site offers a playable demo, here's the link:
http://schooldays.0verflow.com/index.html
enjoy!
Last edited by Atvaark on February 12th, 2007, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » February 12th, 2007, 2:03 am

Eternal Fighter Zero is a pretty solid fighting game, a bit dated, but it's deep and you get to beat up people with a truck and stuffed frogs. For the PC.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana is a fun adventure/RPG style game, it's fast-paced and has that old-school charm to it. If you've played Napishtim, just think a much better version of that. For the PC.

eXceed2nd -Vampire- is a SCHMUP that feels like a complete ripoff of Ikaruga but is fun nonetheless. You change your "mode" to dark and light by pressing a button. Enemies shoot either light or dark-energy bullets at you, and depending on your affinity you either absorb the bullets or take damage from them. By absorbing the bullets you also build up a meter that lets you release a super attack. In the later stages surviving requires precise switching between light and dark modes, and it gets pretty intense. Also for the PC.

And, well, Melty Blood...
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atvaark » February 12th, 2007, 1:01 pm

hehe, i got eternal fighter zero, it is a pretty nice game. nice start for this thread, gonna read a bit more about the game you mentionned about the light and dark energy, seems interesting...next one to buy for me maybe? thanks! keep up your reviews!
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Question » February 12th, 2007, 3:14 pm

Wait...wasnt kagetsu tohya sold out years ago? How did you order it?
Question
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Atvaark » February 12th, 2007, 7:22 pm

japanese yahoo auctions. never said it was new. i just won the bid with 18 bucks US.sad in a way...but i'm happy, the shipping and handling costs are probably gonna hurt
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » February 12th, 2007, 11:26 pm

If you want to try out exceed2nd before buying it, you can get the demo here. It's the link right above "Play Movie". Also, if you like that I suggest you look at Ikaruga too, the concepts are quite similar.
If I come across any other good games I'll post about them here, but I'm not playing so much right now, and I can't just go to a store and pick up random games the way I used too (actually I have a few other Japanese games, but I don't like them quite as much so I won't post about them right now, maybe some other time if I feel like it).

Also, 18 bucks for Kagetsu Tohya is a steal, even with overpriced shipping. Be proud of your luck!
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Question » February 13th, 2007, 6:07 am

Wtfff 18 bucks. I thought tsukihime, kagetsu tohya, plus-disc and tsukibako were going in excess of a few hundred.
Question
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Message » February 13th, 2007, 6:16 am

Tsukihime and Tsukibako are, especially the latter. I'd expect the other two to be similarly expensive, but apparently there are decent prices out there too...

Unread postby Atvaark » February 13th, 2007, 6:18 pm

Marus..i AM proud of my luck, the game just arrived in only 2 days! 46 bucks for delivery, lol.

well, game installs and all, i downloaded the partial English patch that i heard of, and it works. missing the main story of course, but still the tohno family con game had me laughing for hours...

on a side note, my cd is in pretty bad shape, scratches all over, but luckily, it stills reads fine. guess I'll have to back it up on my pc to preserve it...that isn't considered piracy, is it? the case had a crack in it too, but i blame the shipping not being careful in handling it. although, i have a booklet and a box, but wasn't this game supposed to come in a dvd movie style case? it's just a plain regular plastic clear case. Nonetheless, it will be fine if i take care of it, it works as it should and i paid a pretty reasonable price for it i guess. thanks for the other game links, I'll try them right away!
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » February 14th, 2007, 4:43 am

The crack and scratches would explain how you managed to nab the damn thing for so little in the first place - check the auction page, see if there's anything about the condition of the CD and case. If it was the shipper's fault you may want to talk to someone - I'd be pissed if I spent $46 on shipping to get a broken package, but then maybe it's not worth it considering you already got a great deal on it. But anyways, afaik Kagetsu Tohya, Tsukihime, and PLUS DISK all come in regular jewel CD cases, while Tsukibako comes in a box.

Also, I'm pretty sure that technically it's illegal to reproduce copyrighted data in any way, but I seriously doubt anyone cares about someone making a backup as long as you're not distributing it. It beats having to look for a second copy, you'd have to have crazy luck to find Kagetsu Tohya selling for that price a second time (that or I just suck at auctions).

The Con Game is one of my favorite stories, next to Red Demon God.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atvaark » February 15th, 2007, 1:10 am

damn! i realized we strayed off topic here...
oh well...what other game did i try out recently?
hmm...Higurashi no nakukoroni Wata nagashi. only got one of them after seeing the anime, i felt like trying the game, since i heard it was a lot more detailed...obviously, too bad i won't be able to understand any of these supplemental details. 44 bucks at himeya shop, tried to install it, but can't get it to work at all. the installer starts, i press next and i get a Japanese filled alert box with a yellow exclamation mark and an ok button, click it, and it's over. help! i haven't tried anything and I'm all out of ideas, lol. i'll figure it out eventually, but for now, i got plenty of games to go through. anyone can reassure me on one thing though? i don,t want to come across any H-scenes in higurashi, so tell me if there is any.
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » February 15th, 2007, 4:02 am

It'd be easier to help if you post a screencap of the error message. Though, looking at HimeyaShop, it says it's a drama CD - what exactly are you trying to install? (this is what you bought right?)
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atvaark » February 20th, 2007, 5:51 pm

screencap, huh? ...hum...how do i just make a link to my screen cap? i don't wanna post the whole 1280X1024 image here...
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby marus » February 21st, 2007, 2:23 am

Upload the picture to a hosting site like imageshack if you haven't already, then type "[url]image location[/url]", only without the quotes and replace image location with the address to wherever you uploaded the picture.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby animefanrk2k » March 3rd, 2007, 3:38 pm

For the record, I also own Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and I found that it helps to run the installer in Japanese. (Thanks Applocale XD)
animefanrk2k
Addict

Unread postby Atvaark » March 3rd, 2007, 7:46 pm

applocale? funny as it sounds, i don't even know what's it do...my computer is always set like a japanese machine, so most stuff i install on it run easily. just figuring out how can be a hassle sometimes. although lately, with my latest onscripter craze for psp, i'm starting to actually grasp a few things here and there. figured out what was wrong with higurashi...weirdly enough, i just backed the cd up and mounted the iso to check if it was correctly made and it just happily started the install process...i take that back. i didn,t figure out what was wrong, but my problem was solved by doing a backup on my pc. go figure? maybe you guys have a theory?
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby animefanrk2k » March 4th, 2007, 2:37 pm

Well, no real theory. XD

But Microsoft Applocale's a program that lets you run applications under any language/region setting you want without changing your own language region settings. Therefore, all that Japanese text my normal installer can't get through got through just fine with Applocale set to Japanese.
animefanrk2k
Addict

Unread postby marus » March 4th, 2007, 3:43 pm

If you already have full Japanese support set up on your computer though, applocale won't help you any. Maybe there was something wrong with your CD or CD drive. Or random luck? I find that plays a large role in troubleshooting sometimes.
KATTO!
marus
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atvaark » March 4th, 2007, 5:10 pm

that game...is scary...O.o
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Hyperbeast » March 7th, 2007, 6:09 pm

Well, I can't vouch for the game, but the first chapter of the anime made me shit bricks. So did most of it, really.

Apparently someone's working on a translation for the 7th Higurashi game.
I find it kinda strange that they wouldn't start on the first one.
Unless like the first one is done. In which case I need to raid my Japanese friend's house seeing as he bought the series while he was there. With my left over money from buying Act Cadenza, no less >.>

But eh... The graphics I've seen of the game... Don't make it look particularly scary.
Hyperbeast
Crack Addic!

Next

Return to General Chat