Human rights for fictional characters!

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Human rights for fictional characters!

Unread postby Atriel » December 22nd, 2009, 6:56 pm

Just for the lulz.

http://kotaku.com/5431964/erotic-game-c ... ontroversy

And copy-paste if you are too lazy to click the link. Some of the comments are gold too, you may want to check them out.

---
"In the wake of the Rapelay controversy, Japanese erotic games have come under intense scrutiny.

The Ethics Organization of Computer Software in Japan banned the sale of games with forced sexual situations after an outcry in the Western press over Rapelay, a niche game released a few years back.

Some game adult game developers have cut themselves off from the West, while one dev is looking at the entire situation with a sense of humor. On December 18, new ero title Shinobiryuu was released in Japan. Before starting the game, the following title screen appears (translated by website Canned Dogs):
Declaration
This is a declaration made with the consensus of all the characters that appear in this story.
All the characters appearing in this game have gone through special training and all actions carried out are done on the basis of mutual agreement.
Even if you're a inhuman person who believes that fictional characters in creative works do not have human rights, please do not ignore this.
We also thank all the kind people who see a character in the story saying phrases such as "help me" and take it as a real call for help.
However, even though you are worrying for the characters in the story, these are all lines spoken from a script.
They are not saying all this from the bottom of their hearts. We are sorry that they have put in so much effort into their acting that some people will confuse it as something that is really happening.
This game is a fictional story.

Fiction! Remember that? In-game characters also make note that fictional characters apparently have human rights. "There are apparently some special people that will get angry and show sympathy for us if we get raped," says one character. "And they'll start lobbying for us too." Save the in-game characters!"
---
If you disagree, you are wrong.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Re: Human rights for fictional characters!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » December 22nd, 2009, 7:54 pm

Here I thought the whole "This is a work of fiction and no characters were harmed during the making of this game," bit was more than enough to state that it's not real and why would anyone complain about a game they wouldn't play in the first place?
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Raven » December 22nd, 2009, 9:13 pm

laughing, depressing, antagonizing ... which face should I wear?
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » December 23rd, 2009, 5:15 am

I'd wear all of them...

I mean, really.
Fictional characters with human rights?
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » December 23rd, 2009, 5:11 pm

Next thing you know they'll probably ban certain H-figures since it's inhumae or something like that as well. I mean come on there a limt to stupidity, but it seems like they created a whole new level of stupidity it seems. *sigh* I miss the good old days were people weren't surrounded by a pack of idiots every day.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Uberoy » December 23rd, 2009, 6:03 pm

Kid-Wolf wrote:*sigh* I miss the good old days were people weren't surrounded by a pack of idiots every day.

Has there ever been days like that? Sounds like utopia to me.

On topic: Fictional characters getting human rights huh? Sandbag from SSBM could earn a fortune through lawsuits being assaulted for more or less his/her entire life. Oh humanity... How far will you go proving your stupidity?
But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » December 23rd, 2009, 6:32 pm

Well, for there to be smart people we need stupid ones :P
If you disagree, you are wrong.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » December 23rd, 2009, 7:18 pm

Atriel wrote:Well, for there to be smart people we need stupid ones :P

That's true, but there wen't that many stupid people back in the day. Although there wasn't such a thing as the Interwebs either during that time period.

Never the less this goes to show you guys that people now a days would give greater rights to an inadtimate object than they would a person now. From the looks of it you could kind of come to the conclusion that human life is not all that meaningful.
Last edited by Kid-Wolf on December 24th, 2009, 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Message » December 24th, 2009, 8:50 am

Guys... Please get the joke already and stop filling this thread with so much fail. I mean seriously.

Unread postby Raven » December 24th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Message wrote:Guys... Please get the joke already and stop filling this thread with so much fail. I mean seriously.

Who didn't get the joke? Common you never see a running joke before? Maybe it's you who didn't get the joke =P

But wait ... you mean they were serious1? Wait, what?!!? ano ....
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Uberoy » December 25th, 2009, 12:33 am

Or... It is you Raven who didnt get the joke about Message joking about people not getting the joke. You are joking Message. Right? This thread suddenly became mind-games.
But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Watashimo » December 25th, 2009, 8:55 am

Haha. According to most of the comments on that page, rape is worse than murder. Because games where you can *boom headshot* someone aren't scrutinized but a game about rape is? I'm so confused.
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Ciel » January 16th, 2010, 1:48 pm

so, if fictional characters are getting human rights, does that mean weeaboos can now legally marry them, with them having the same kind of human rights as they do?

if not, it's racism and discrimination. stupid 3d people, always tryin to keep a 2d character down.

herp derp lol
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » April 21st, 2010, 9:20 am

..........lol
Media depictions of sexual violence against women constitute a violation of the human rights of women, and are a major obstacle to the creation of a gender-equal society.

[…]

Where violent or sexual media depictions of women are concerned, we must promote public understanding of this as a “human rights violation,” and ensure media are subjected to voluntary restraints.

[…]

Voluntary censorship of media depictions of sexual violence should be promoted, and laws including censorship of virtual sexual violence against women in DVDs, video and PC games should be considered.

source: Sankaku
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Return to General Chat