Lycee Trading Card Game

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

What is your opinion on Lycee?

Amazing, I'll definitely start playing it!
No votes
Interesting, I will/might start playing it, if... [insert condition]
44%
Interesting, I will/might start collecting cards, but I won't play it.
22%
I'm not interested, since other card games are better.
No votes
I'm not interested, this card game just doesn't sound great to me.
No votes
I'm not interested in card games.
33%

Total votes : 9

Lycee Trading Card Game

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » April 20th, 2009, 4:21 pm

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
General Information:
Invented and marketed from the renowned Japanese company SilverBlitz, the Lycee Trading Card Game is a card game featuring various Bishoujo games, visual novels etc.
To make it simple, you could say this card game brings characters from different animes together (as many visual novels had anime/manga adaptions), creating funny encounters when between absolutely different characters with their unique abilities meet and compete each other.
The artworks of the cards are mostly fanarts (and therefore no official artwork), but nevertheless they still look great (well, of course everyone's got a different taste, so...).
Besides, there indeed are some cards (mostly promo cards) with alternate, official artworks!

Gameplay/Rules:
You can find the English rules in the internet, so I'll just post a link to them:

English rules in the internet

I myself created Word-documents with the rules and translations of various editions so far, which can be found here:

Translations
(Attention! This is a German TCG site, so pretty much everything is written in German! However, the translations which can be found there are ALL in English!)

Another useful link might be this forum which has a large Lycee-part:
Lycee forum

List of series being featured:

For those interested, here I'll make a small excerpt of series that are being featured in Lycee.
I'll just list some of the somewhat most famous works (which you might want to watch/play, if you don't know about them) in some of the editions that have been released so far.

07th Expansion 1.x
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei
  • Umineko no Naku Koro ni
Alice Soft 1.x
  • Rance VI - Zesu Hokai - (Rance VI - Collapse of Zeth -)
  • Dai Banchou - Big Bang Age - [--> damit auch Big Bang Beat!]
  • Dai Akuji
  • Yoru ga kuru! - Square of the MOON -
  • Pastel Chime
  • Kichikuo Rance
Kara no Kyoukai - Special Edition
  • Kara no Kyoukai
key from animation - Special Edition
  • Air
  • Clannad
  • Kanon
Leaf 1.x
  • Tenchi no Inai 12 Tsuki
  • Utawarerumono
  • White Album
  • ToHeart
Leaf 2.x
  • Tears to Tiara [mit alten Artworks, nicht der neuen PS3-Fassung!]
  • ToHeart2
  • Utawarerumono
  • White Album
  • ToHeart
Leaf 3.x
  • Tears to Tiara [mit alten Artworks, nicht der neuen PS3-Fassung!]
  • ToHeart2
  • Utawarerumono
Leaf 4.x
  • ToHeart
  • ToHeart2
  • Utawarerumono
  • White Album
Navel 1.x
  • SHUFFLE!
  • Soul Link
  • Tick! Tack!
  • Really? Really!
Nitroplus 1.x
  • Phantom of Inferno
  • "Hello, World"
  • Zanmataisei Demonbane
  • Saya no Uta
  • Jingai Makyou
  • Kishinhoukou Demonbane
  • Togainu no Chi
Type-Moon 1.x
  • Tsukihime
  • Melty Blood
  • Fate/stay night
Type-Moon 2.x
  • Tsukihime
  • Melty Blood
  • Fate/stay night
  • Fate/hollow ataraxia
Type-Moon 3.x
  • Tsukihime
  • Melty Blood
  • Fate/hollow ataraxia
  • Fate/Zero
  • Character material
Visual Art's 1.x
  • Kanon
  • Air
  • Clannad
Visual Art's 2.x
  • Kanon
  • Air
  • Clannad
  • Planetarian
Visual Art's 3.x
  • Kanon
  • Air
  • Clannad
  • Tomoyo After ~It's a Wonderful Life~
Visual Art's 5.x
  • Little Busters!

To those who did not notice until now:
This card game is completely in Japanese!

Nevertheless, you don't have to immediately give up on playing it if you don't understand Japanese (well, in the end everybody decides for themselves...).
For those uncertain, a short overview of pro- and contra-arguments:

CONTRA:
  • cards completely in Japanese
  • cards have to be imported on your own (if you're not living in America, since there is at least one store importing and selling Lycee...)
  • prices will always change depending on currency exchange rates (if you're not living in America...)

PRO:
  • characters of various visual novels/games/animes/manges/etc. featured; you can play your favourite characters!
  • knowledge of Japanese language not required since there are people working on translations scripts and which you can ask for translations
  • you can always get together and organize mass orderings to minimize additional costs
  • depeding on currency exchange rates, Lyc?e might be cheaper than other card games
  • beautiful artworks - guaranteed something for everyone!
  • interesting gameplay that might require more strategic thinking than a lot of other card games

Pictures:

Just some random pictures for you to look:

Character card of Kohaku from "Tsukihime".

Character card of Arcueid from "Tsukihime".

Event card from "Fate/stay night".

Item card from "Fate/stay night".

Do you have any questions? Or do you actually play/collect this game?
Here you can talk about anything or give feedback, first impressions etc.!
Just go ahead and post! :)
Last edited by Gunbladeuser on April 20th, 2009, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunbladeuser
Addict

Re: Lycee Trading Card Game

Unread postby zweiterversuch » April 20th, 2009, 4:40 pm

Yeah... just noticed that.

...So

All comes down to this question:

Do you have to pay, or buy something?
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » April 20th, 2009, 4:52 pm

zweiterversuch wrote:Yeah... just noticed that.

What do you mean? ^^

...So

Um~... what's the difference? I don't seem to get your question... ^^"

This is a trading card game, so for playing you have to buy/pay for booster packs, starter sets or something like that.
Gunbladeuser
Addict

Unread postby Uberoy » April 20th, 2009, 5:09 pm

I have known about this card game for a very long time but havent started playing it because they are hard to get your hands on and in japanese. I might buy some in the future though.
But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby zweiterversuch » April 20th, 2009, 6:10 pm

Gunbladeuser wrote:
zweiterversuch wrote:Yeah... just noticed that.

What do you mean? ^^

...So

Um~... what's the difference? I don't seem to get your question... ^^"

This is a trading card game, so for playing you have to buy/pay for booster packs, starter sets or something like that.

Well... the "Yeah just noticed that" was the answer for your post when you wrote "ups wrong button" or something like that.

About the buying or paying thing... I have seen some similar game online and you don't have to pay anything to play or buy any "real" cards. The problem is that since it is a "fan-made" game, the graphics and design of the cards are somehow rough.
Don't ask me the name of the game. I found it sometime ago and don't remember how.
http://visualnoveldai.com/
If you want to create your own visual novel go there!
Try it out, no compromise!
8 inches in a week!

btw Princess Tutu is still Awesome!!!
zweiterversuch
$dead

Unread postby TheXev » May 3rd, 2009, 10:31 pm

Topic has been locked for multiple post. This may have been a technical glitch because the post was made just before the phpBB 2.x -> 3.x migration. Please drop into the IRC channel and talk to me about this, after that I'll lift your ban.
TheXev
The only Karon Fanboy

Re:

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » May 5th, 2009, 11:39 pm

Yay, unlocked again! :)

Uberoy wrote:I have known about this card game for a very long time but havent started playing it because they are hard to get your hands on and in japanese. I might buy some in the future though.

Where do you come from?
Actually, getting those cards sounds harder than it is in reality. Importing things isn't that difficult - besides most people here surely ordered games and/or merchandise like figures already, so... ^^

As for the "being in Japanese"... well, that's what translations are for! ;D

The actually hard part of this is rather to get people in your area to also start playing, so that you don't have to sit in your room staring at all the wonderful cards you have, but cannot use. XD
However, I believe that even that can be mastered if you put enough effort into it.

So in the end, it's like every other hobby - quite time consuming (at least in the beginning) and of course costy (depending on exchange rate etc. though, so you might get lucky and pay a lot less).
Gunbladeuser
Addict

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » May 6th, 2009, 3:35 am

From what I can tell this would be a fun trading card game to work with if you ask me. I mean you could probablly mix and match the sets that were mentioned and... well have a deck that can be fun to play with if it's one of those card games.

If it was translated I'd check it out in a heartbeat though.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Re: Re:

Unread postby Uberoy » May 6th, 2009, 7:46 am

Gunbladeuser wrote:The actually hard part of this is rather to get people in your area to also start playing, so that you don't have to sit in your room staring at all the wonderful cards you have, but cannot use. XD
However, I believe that even that can be mastered if you put enough effort into it.

Well, if people on the MM-forums starts playing it is possible to play through webcam even though it's not as fun but it's better than nothing.
But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Re: Re:

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » May 6th, 2009, 9:43 am

Kid-Wolf wrote:From what I can tell this would be a fun trading card game to work with if you ask me. I mean you could probablly mix and match the sets that were mentioned and... well have a deck that can be fun to play with if it's one of those card games.

Yep, definitely!
Situations such like "OMG, Tomoyo just defeated Arcueid!" can arise or "What the...? How can Rika beat Nero?!".

If it was translated I'd check it out in a heartbeat though.

Well... what exactly do you consider a translation?
Do you mean if the actual cards were in English you'd try it OR do you mean of the cards were translated by fans?
Because some other Lycèe players and me already started to translate Lycèe cards and finished with a lot of editions such as all Type-Moon editions including Kara no Kyoukai special edition, some Visual Art's editions (with all key games in it), 07th expansion etc. etc.

Uberoy wrote:Well, if people on the MM-forums starts playing it is possible to play through webcam even though it's not as fun but it's better than nothing.

Yeah, that'd be possible.
Aside from that, there already are some Lycèe players all across the world outside of Japan.
If you live in the USA (don't know where exactly there though), you actually do have the opportunity to play it in tournaments against other players live.
Also, here in Germany I'm building up a Lycèe community, and it is slowly, but steadily growing with our first tournament not too far away.
If you don't live in these mentioned countries, you still can play others via webcam or simply messenger since there are also players such as in Finland, Spain, France, somewhere in USA/Canada where there are not so many Lycèe players etc. etc.
So... over the internet you'd definitely have opponents to play against. :)
Gunbladeuser
Addict

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » May 6th, 2009, 11:20 am

Well I went if I could get a translation of the cards into English by either the cards themselves or by the fans that play the game. As long as I can remeber which card does what I'll be fine with it. That's what I meant by that. Besides I didn't know you could get this ported into the US that easily now. Maybe I'll drop by a commic shop sometime and see if they will do that for me or not then.
- Finding my way through this garden is rather unbearable, but if it is to keep the one I adore company I will endure it for her sake, and her sake alone.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » May 6th, 2009, 3:01 pm

Kid-Wolf wrote:Well I went if I could get a translation of the cards into English by either the cards themselves or by the fans that play the game. As long as I can remeber which card does what I'll be fine with it. That's what I meant by that.

You can get the translations of me either here or here. :)

Besides I didn't know you could get this ported into the US that easily now. Maybe I'll drop by a commic shop sometime and see if they will do that for me or not then.

I hope you'll be able to get some cards that way.

If anyone is interested:
In eBay you can buy booster boxes and starters etc. of the Lycèe card game.
Beside from the fact that there are normal auctions, there is also one shop selling various Lycèe products (see here).

That eBay seller also has a shop in California where Lycée cards are sold (as far as I know):

7188 Edinger Ave
Huntington Beach, CA 92647

So... if you have the opportunity, you can check that out! ^^
Though I don't know if you could get the cards even cheaper by importing them by yourself.

Anyway, people who are interested and want to know more about how to import (and don't want to do it the ways already mentioned here), can PM me. :D
Gunbladeuser
Addict

Unread postby -[J1N]- » May 12th, 2009, 3:28 am

I bought a few cards for collection purposes (shiny rares are shiny!), but I don't think I'll be getting into the game itself though.

Imagine having to tell the guy playing you what every single card with an effect does... Well, I don't know the rules too well, so maybe it's not as complicated as I think.
["Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast:
for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."]
--Book of Revelation 13:18
-[J1N]-
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » May 12th, 2009, 4:03 am

I rather wait until the cards are actually in English of course. That way I can understand how to use them in a match of course. I kind of helps to know what combos to setup for and whatnot.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Uberoy » May 12th, 2009, 6:06 am

Kid-Wolf wrote:I rather wait until the cards are actually in English of course. That way I can understand how to use them in a match of course. I kind of helps to know what combos to setup for and whatnot.

I beleive you'll have a long wait to look forward to because I dont think Lycee will be translated to english :) (except for fan-translation).
Uberoy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby metal_cocoabo » May 12th, 2009, 9:05 am

Interesting concept... though I'd appreciate the game more if it had the necessary licenses. Fan-art is good, but I prefer the original work more. But that's just the purist in me talking. So, anyway, how much does the game cost? I assume it uses booster packs but does it have starter decks?
metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Gunbladeuser » May 12th, 2009, 10:09 pm

-[J1N]- wrote:Imagine having to tell the guy playing you what every single card with an effect does... Well, I don't know the rules too well, so maybe it's not as complicated as I think.

It's only a bit complicated in the beginning. But after a few games, it isn't really such a problem anymore.
Actually, it's quite like in many other card games available in English.
In the beginning, you have to read the cards; then after a while you just look at the card picture and think "Ah! I know that card and what it does!"
And if you still have to check something, there still are the translations.

Another way for playing is to print the translations out and instead of putting them in a folder, to cut them and put them with the cards in sleeves. That way, you can kind of read the English text on the card itself.

Kid-Wolf wrote:I rather wait until the cards are actually in English of course. That way I can understand how to use them in a match of course. I kind of helps to know what combos to setup for and whatnot.

It's unlikely that the cards will get translated into English.
However... see what I wrote above. The translations done by "us" are fine, too.

metal_cocoabo wrote:Interesting concept... though I'd appreciate the game more if it had the necessary licenses. Fan-art is good, but I prefer the original work more. But that's just the purist in me talking.

It does have cards with official artwork, as I already mentioned.
Those usually are promo cards, though there are some exceptions also.

Examples:

And cards like these have great fan-art imo:

So, anyway, how much does the game cost? I assume it uses booster packs but does it have starter decks?

1 booster box containing 1 promo card and 15 booster packs with 12 cards each (1 Rare, 3 Uncommon [or if you're lucky 1 Lucky Card], 8 Common) cost 6000 Yen.
1 structure deck set with 1 60-card-deck, 1 promo card, 1 pack of official sleeves or playmat and 1 deck box + deck divider costs 3000 Yen.
There were also structure decks with only 1 60-card-deck and 1 promo card for 1500 Yen, but they're all sold out by now.
There are also starter for each new edition (like Type-Moon 1.0, but not for Type-Moon 2.0) for 1500 Yen containing 1 promo card and the content of 5 booster packs.
Gunbladeuser
Addict

Unread postby Catastrophe » May 12th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Gunbladeuser wrote:1 booster box containing 1 promo card and 15 booster packs with 12 cards each (1 Rare, 3 Uncommon [or if you're lucky 1 Lucky Card], 8 Common) cost 6000 Yen.
1 structure deck set with 1 60-card-deck, 1 promo card, 1 pack of official sleeves or playmat and 1 deck box + deck divider costs 3000 Yen.
There were also structure decks with only 1 60-card-deck and 1 promo card for 1500 Yen, but they're all sold out by now.
There are also starter for each new edition (like Type-Moon 1.0, but not for Type-Moon 2.0) for 1500 Yen containing 1 promo card and the content of 5 booster packs.

deck cheaper than booster??? or you missed/added a 0?

also:
"All die schönen Fotos gibt's nur bei uns"
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » May 13th, 2009, 12:35 am

I kind of wonder if this has something like Magic: The Gathering type of setup or something like some other card game that I'm not overly familiar with.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby metal_cocoabo » May 13th, 2009, 3:47 am

Catastrophe wrote:deck cheaper than booster??? or you missed/added a 0?

Well, the number of cards in a booster box is around 600. Compare it to the 60 cards you get in the structure deck. Then again, if they were selling structure decks for 30,000 yen, I'd imagine they'd run out of customers...

Whoa, actually some of the art is actually nice. Do they happen to sell singles? I'm interested in these purely for the collection value; I highly doubt anyone else where I'm from plays this anyway. --And the added difficulty of shipping the cards makes it more harder to promote, like say, Magic which is readily available in my area.
metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Next

Return to General Chat