Mangled in Translation Part 1: VAs

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Mangled in Translation Part 1: VAs

Unread postby Kuuya/Fabre » March 23rd, 2009, 4:22 pm

Aww, come on. Admit it. There were times when you were turned off from buying a localized game coz they not only mangled the translation but would often have bad VAs.

I dunno if this was talked about before here so I might be talking about old news. So anyways.

I mean, I can't count the number of games I turned away from bad VAs. I mean, there are some 'good' acting in some of the games I played but sometimes... urg..

Oh, I don't have that much problems with games done by NIS. I usually play them with Japanese voices on...
Kuuya/Fabre
Addict

Unread postby Atriel » March 23rd, 2009, 7:43 pm

Some games i remember with bad VA:

- Ninja Gaiden 2 in english. Thankfully, it has (good) japanese VA too with subtitles.

- Fire Emblem Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn. One of the crappiest VA i've ever heard. AND you can't change it to japanese in the hope of it being good.

- Valkyrie Profile for PSX. It wasn't utter shit, but it could've been way better.

Bad voice acting makes me take the game less seriously. I mean, it's a game and shouldn't be taken seriously but it makes me feel less absorbed. You know, what could have been epic ended up being not so awesome simply because of the voice. I'd rather just read and have no voice than a shitty VA.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby exerron » March 23rd, 2009, 8:00 pm

The topic of localization is something I am a bit allergic to.
I live in Hungary (a small, Middle (or East)-European country) and game localization doesn't have much of a history. In fact, not too long ago, game translations were so bad, that guessing what some terribly mistranslated sentances meant, or what was their original was great mental training and hilarious at the same time.
So whenever a game what I wanted to buy was about to come out, I prayed for multi lingual subtitles (so far, very few games were dubbed, thank God).
Until now, this small wish was granted, but times change. There are more and more releases, where I cannot choose languge, there is only Hungraian, what makes me a wee bit angry. It's not like (at most) a few megs of text wouldn't fit on the damn DVD, no, there are "legal issues". Damn the legal issues, there were none until now, and I read enough online game magazines to hear about this...I had to buy the collectros edition of RA3 to play it in english.
Okay, translations are getting better and better but could still improove to reach the levele of english game translations not to mention the original quality.
exerron
Might just like this board

Unread postby Rokunaya » March 23rd, 2009, 8:03 pm

Almost every English Naruto product alive, including their games. Of course, there's others, but I can't remember them at the moment....
"Insert something creative and witty here, kthx."
Rokunaya

Unread postby that one guy » March 24th, 2009, 12:14 am

Ar Tonelico 1 and 2. Dear god, the English VAs were terrible. I didn't find the Japanese ones to be too much better either. Same goes with Mana Khemia.
that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Rokunaya » March 24th, 2009, 1:08 am

OH, I remember one now! N3, Ninety Nine Nights. What was otherwise a good game with some poorly executed concepts became a freaking nightmare with the quality of the voice actors. Some of the worst I've ever seen. EVER.
Rokunaya

Unread postby exerron » March 24th, 2009, 7:51 pm

If I remember correctly, Tales of um....Eternia had terrible voice acting, so terrible, that I had to spend some time mentally preparing, so I could play this, otherwise not too bad, game.
I also heard, that the North American release was renamed due to some trademark issues, so they renamed it Tales of Destiny II, what is a poor choice, since each of the "Tales" series (expect for one) is set in a different world...
exerron

Unread postby Rokunaya » March 24th, 2009, 8:24 pm

exerron wrote:If I remember correctly, Tales of um....Eternia had terrible voice acting, so terrible, that I had to spend some time mentally preparing, so I could play this, otherwise not too bad, game.
I also heard, that the North American release was renamed due to some trademark issues, so they renamed it Tales of Destiny II, what is a poor choice, since each of the "Tales" series (expect for one) is set in a different world...

Tales, huh? Having played Abyss and Symphonia, I can say they're doing quite an excellent job recently, they're taking their localization seriously now, thank god.

I am not going to mention Legendia, it's VAs and the game itself were downright pitiful, and as for Vesperia, I'm getting that game soon.
Rokunaya

Return to General Chat