Game ever gets this anime-ish?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Game ever gets this anime-ish?

Unread postby Raven » February 22nd, 2009, 6:34 pm

I ran into a few Star Ocean 4 videos for the new Private Action system. Just click on the link on the right of the red icon next to picture to watch.

Edge and Reimi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNEz1P2F7cA

Faize and Lymle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJAgelRpXCk
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 22nd, 2009, 6:37 pm

Pretty funny, made me laugh.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 22nd, 2009, 9:05 pm

I just have to get a PS3, I want to play it badly. :P
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raven » February 22nd, 2009, 9:41 pm

eh ... it's for the Xbox360, at least no sign on the PS3 yet.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 22nd, 2009, 10:39 pm

Raven wrote:eh ... it's for the Xbox360, at least no sign on the PS3 yet.

If they don't release it for the PS3, they're basically saying "Fuck you, fan-base". Considering it basically all except the first were on Sony consoles. I don't understand the lack of PS3 support. PS3 has better hardware, and abilities. PS3 may be more expensive, but that's because 75% of the initial release one's didn't die within a month. :P) (Cough cough, Xbox)

The last SO? Well, that'd once again be a waste. I don't care about your fanboy opinions, PS3, in all standards, is superior. It doesn't have the library of games due to the Xbox having quite a nice lead on release(PS2 was released first, dwarfed Xbox...release date helps), and PS3's difficulty to program due to being so much higher quality. :P
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » February 22nd, 2009, 10:54 pm

Heh I am not falling for the Star Ocean 4 traps. Even if that game came out for PS3 I would never play it because of the OMG ANIME CHARS IN CGI *rips out eyes*. Seriously that shit is scary. Anime chars look good only in anime you try putting the huge eyes on 3dish objects and its horrifying to say the least. Also the crap that was star ocean 3 makes me not want to play star ocean 4.

And about the hrpgs on 360 lets just say they are shooting themselves in the foot. All this talk of "westernising" games and "we are not as good as western devs" is totally bullshit. Stop trying to get a new fanbase while making changes that are not liked by the old fans. I guess if they are successful they can become the next nintendo but really how much respect does nintendo have anymore. If they ever lose the so called casual fanbase they are going to be in a world of pain.
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Raven » February 22nd, 2009, 10:54 pm

Mkilbride wrote:
Raven wrote:eh ... it's for the Xbox360, at least no sign on the PS3 yet.

If they don't release it for the PS3, they're basically saying "Fuck you, fan-base". Considering it basically all except the first were on Sony consoles. I don't understand the lack of PS3 support. PS3 has better hardware, and abilities. PS3 may be more expensive, but that's because 75% of the initial release one's didn't die within a month. :P) (Cough cough, Xbox)

The last SO? Well, that'd once again be a waste. I don't care about your fanboy opinions, PS3, in all standards, is superior. It doesn't have the library of games due to the Xbox having quite a nice lead on release(PS2 was released first, dwarfed Xbox...release date helps), and PS3's difficulty to program due to being so much higher quality. :P

woa dude slow down there. I'm just being informative about the current status game. I don't give a shit about which console is more superior and I actually like to give shit to all the fanboys involved in the console wars. (After all just a bunch of hypocrite, fanboy of one system accuse the fanboy of the other system for being fanyboy)

I own ALL the gaming machine this generation just like I owned all the one from the last generation. I am a gamer and that's all there is to it, you're entitle to your preference but bringing it up to my face you should be prepared for my middle finger attitude toward this kind of crap.

drizzt_rocks wrote:Heh I am not falling for the Star Ocean 4 traps. Even if that game came out for PS3 I would never play it because of the OMG ANIME CHARS IN CGI *rips out eyes*. Seriously that shit is scary. Anime chars look good only in anime you try putting the huge eyes on 3dish objects and its horrifying to say the least. Also the crap that was star ocean 3 makes me not want to play star ocean 4.

Well, I can agree that the character design is really odd in this one. It's not the anime-ish that turns me off, but rather they look like doll, and seem be more Korean than Japanese style so to speak. Also from the videos they seem to severely lack emotion expression, not to mention I heard the NA version will have lip synching problem as well.

In overall though, it doesn't look that bad, and I'll pick it up anyway since Star Ocean tend to have one of the best gameplay mechanic of the gerne. Already pre-ordered it 2 weeks ago, gonna pick it up on Tuesday. :)
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby I1nk » February 22nd, 2009, 11:34 pm

Wow I sense some hostility here.

For me well I am still going to get the game.

Those vids are good. I don't know how well that first scene will sound in English. But hay I am still looking forward to the game. Also I love that type of game play.

Anywho I wish they don't do this type of stuff to games, but hay they are here to make money so I can't complain. But I do wish they give you an option to change it back to the way it was originally. But again it might come out with a director's cut and maybe my wish might come true.
"Night closed night, other night, night pain, night sink, is night/stay night."
I1nk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Raven » February 22nd, 2009, 11:58 pm

I1nk wrote:Those vids are good. I don't know how well that first scene will sound in English.

Yeah, I bet the voice actress doing Welch (the girl with classes) probably pulled her hair out for that scene. I expect an epic fail, but it might turn hilarious.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby CSXLoser » February 23rd, 2009, 3:05 am

It's Star OCean...the english VA is going to be bad
CSXLoser
Addict

Unread postby inferno_flamex » February 23rd, 2009, 11:40 am

For me...

PS > any other console....

Simply because Japanese/Anime related games.. like Gundams... And the ever great Super Robot Wars series..
uses the PS as their MAIN 'base of operations'...

so.. to keep that stock of anime/jrpg related games... Im always going to have to go for the PS2/PS3 on this one...
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby lolipedofin » February 23rd, 2009, 1:30 pm

read this

Epic fail already confirmed beforehand.... But in any case... while those vids are funny, they really are creepy... feels like watching those anime 3d pr0n game/vid.... Are those really taken from the original Japanese game??

Still gonna play it if i got the chance though... it's Star Ocean, i just gotta play it... Already in love with this series since Second Story.... now playing first departure...^^

I would actually prefer to play it in XboX... I'm not sure whether it has been done before or not... But since XboX using old DVD, I think the chance for this to be hacked and have the undub version release by fans are quite good... Better yet, only incorporating the translation, but kept the anime CG and Japanese voices.... Unless UNDUB is possible for PS3, I'm sticking to XboX

That being said, I hate XboX !!
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raven » February 23rd, 2009, 2:23 pm

Like I said, I'm a gamer in the most simple and purest sense. I play game and that's all there is to it. I owned both the PS2 and Xbox, and now I own the PS3, 360, and the Wii to boost plus a ready go computer. I just like playing game, any game I can get a hang on.

lolipedofin wrote:Epic fail already confirmed beforehand.... But in any case... while those vids are funny, they really are creepy... feels like watching those anime 3d pr0n game/vid.... Are those really taken from the original Japanese game??

For extra heresy the director of the series openly admit in an interview that he has a desire to make eroge game and in the past he was at odd with the CEO of Tri-Ace for incoprating such elements to his game. The new CEO seems to be more liberal however and word is Star Ocean 4 does carry the extra flavor of its ... ahem, creator.

I would actually prefer to play it in XboX... I'm not sure whether it has been done before or not... But since XboX using old DVD, I think the chance for this to be hacked and have the undub version release by fans are quite good... Better yet, only incorporating the translation, but kept the anime CG and Japanese voices.... Unless UNDUB is possible for PS3, I'm sticking to XboX

The 360 has region locked though.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mysteryman2000 » February 23rd, 2009, 6:12 pm

I was ripped off, it seems the glory of the PS3 will be out shined by that of the xbox360 for a while. The ps3 needs to redeem itself by getting in touch with Star Ocean 4!
Mysteryman2000
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby Atriel » February 23rd, 2009, 8:40 pm

Mkilbride wrote:If they don't release it for the PS3, they're basically saying "Fuck you, fan-base".

Why? They can release in any system they want. They'll get plenty of sales with only the 360, and if it's a 360 exclusive you can expect extra cash from M$. I don't know if it will be an exclusive, just saying.

Mkilbride wrote:PS3 may be more expensive, but that's because 75% of the initial release one's didn't die within a month. :P) (Cough cough, Xbox)

No, that's because it has plenty of extra hardware. They wanted to make some kind of media center instead of a simple console, which would've worked perfectly if the price wasn't so high.

Mkilbride wrote:The last SO? Well, that'd once again be a waste. I don't care about your fanboy opinions, PS3, in all standards, is superior. It doesn't have the library of games due to the Xbox having quite a nice lead on release(PS2 was released first, dwarfed Xbox...release date helps), and PS3's difficulty to program due to being so much higher quality. :P

Of course. You care about your fanboy opinions. Unless you are trolling and i'm naive.
However, the first Xbox utterly sucked. Having... what? 2-3 "big" games?

I have to say that i'm interested in getting a PS3, but only because of Metal Gear Solid 4, and maybe Ninja Gaiden Sigma. There *must* be some more exclusives, i think. But those are the only ones in my mind at the moment. Say, it's price dropped to $400, right? If it gets a bit cheaper i may consider buying one.

I was expecting something good out of SO4, but those videos are not very... interesting, or so to say. I'll still see more into it whenever it is that i get to buy some more games.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 23rd, 2009, 10:27 pm

Not a fanboy. A factboy.

Anyways, I loved SO2 & SO3. SO3 surprised me. At first I hated it, the voice acting made my ears want to bleed, and I kept thinking Fayte looked -so- gay. Several years later though, I decided to buy it(It was a rental before), and I actually managed to beat it all the way through. I learned to deal with it's bad voice acting, it's not the worst ever, I mean, I've heard alot worse English VA's. I managed to think Fayte was a little cooler.(Probably because after I played ToA and was like "What? This fucktards afraid of killing a guy who's trying to kill him? Ok...")

Cliff was awesome and so was most of the other cast, except that little kid one, never liked him. Combat system was pure genius once I realized how to play well enough. Boss Fights did something alot of RPG's fail to do these days - Challenge me. Also, it had lots of content and cool attacks.

The story seemed fairly average at the start, it got a little cooler when we got into space...

Then you know what happened - Hehe. 4D anyone? That twist had me like "What the F**K!" That's SO COOL:P

Everyone says it was a obvious and lame twist...yet...

How the hell was it obvious you weren't real and just a video game world thingy? Everyone on the forums said the twist was the worst part of the game...I found it an amazing and really added alot to the characters depth afterwords. I really think anyone who said they saw it coming is an idiot. It's not like MegaMan Legends where it was hinted at alot. I'm a real story buff, so a good story can add alot to a game for me, and that's what SO3 did. It had fun combat, ok characters, a great story, and a not half-bad soundtrack. Maria & Nel were also full of win.

I will say I understand slightly as to why people might not like the story - it makes alot of what you've done in SO1, SO2, SO3, and eventually, SO4...feel like it really wasn't anything important. It is though, because you've become reality. That's what I don't get. Video game fans can believe that Aliens, robots, ectera, can fall in love(and have real emotions), but not SO3 because it's an entire world, not just one AI? If one AI can become self-aware, this is basically an A.I world becoming self-aware.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby lolipedofin » February 25th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Mkilbride wrote:Not a fanboy. A factboy.

Anyways, I loved SO2 & SO3. SO3 surprised me. At first I hated it, the voice acting made my ears want to bleed, and I kept thinking Fayte looked -so- gay. Several years later though, I decided to buy it(It was a rental before), and I actually managed to beat it all the way through. I learned to deal with it's bad voice acting, it's not the worst ever, I mean, I've heard alot worse English VA's. I managed to think Fayte was a little cooler.(Probably because after I played ToA and was like "What? This fucktards afraid of killing a guy who's trying to kill him? Ok...")

Cliff was awesome and so was most of the other cast, except that little kid one, never liked him. Combat system was pure genius once I realized how to play well enough. Boss Fights did something alot of RPG's fail to do these days - Challenge me. Also, it had lots of content and cool attacks.

The story seemed fairly average at the start, it got a little cooler when we got into space...

Then you know what happened - Hehe. 4D anyone? That twist had me like "What the F**K!" That's SO COOL:P

Everyone says it was a obvious and lame twist...yet...

How the hell was it obvious you weren't real and just a video game world thingy? Everyone on the forums said the twist was the worst part of the game...I found it an amazing and really added alot to the characters depth afterwords. I really think anyone who said they saw it coming is an idiot. It's not like MegaMan Legends where it was hinted at alot. I'm a real story buff, so a good story can add alot to a game for me, and that's what SO3 did. It had fun combat, ok characters, a great story, and a not half-bad soundtrack. Maria & Nel were also full of win.

I will say I understand slightly as to why people might not like the story - it makes alot of what you've done in SO1, SO2, SO3, and eventually, SO4...feel like it really wasn't anything important. It is though, because you've become reality. That's what I don't get. Video game fans can believe that Aliens, robots, ectera, can fall in love(and have real emotions), but not SO3 because it's an entire world, not just one AI? If one AI can become self-aware, this is basically an A.I world becoming self-aware.

I tried, but still can't stand the bad voice acting... that's why I use the undub patch...
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Raven » February 26th, 2009, 7:36 am

Playing it. Pretty interesting so far and the characters are likeable ... except Lym. And of course it packs a healthy doze of cheese like usual.

About the VO, I think it's the best work in Star Ocean series so far, with the exception of Welch's voice. It's not a "bad" afford per see, in fact I think it's as good as any English Voice Actress can get to immitiate Welch's voice, I think it's Laura Bradley and she's doing a commendable job like usual. It's just that ... there are something simply in the realm of impossibility to reproduce with two distinct tongue and Welch's original voice is so far on the spectrum that it's not considered reachable.
Raven
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mkilbride » February 26th, 2009, 7:49 am

Hmm, I hope it gets released on the PC!

Last Remnant is being released on the PC, Demo already out. OF course, that was built using the UT3 Engine, so that could obviously be a reason why. It includes new features, better graphics, and - something every game, especially RPG's should do from now on, Dual Audio! SO many games these days still don't have Dual Audio, despite having free room on the disc itself! It pisses me off. Is it SO effing hard? No, infact, it takes less work! Glad Enix included it too, cause I was playing and Johnny Boch or a guy who sounds just like him was the main char, and while I love JYB, he's used far to much. He also said "I'ma kick yer A!", yes. He said A, not the full word. It sounded SO STUPID "I'ma kick yer A man!"

That is such a lame hero thing to say. If he said ass, it'd at least be acceptable.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby lolipedofin » February 26th, 2009, 8:53 am

Mkilbride wrote:Hmm, I hope it gets released on the PC!

Last Remnant is being released on the PC, Demo already out. OF course, that was built using the UT3 Engine, so that could obviously be a reason why. It includes new features, better graphics, and - something every game, especially RPG's should do from now on, Dual Audio! SO many games these days still don't have Dual Audio, despite having free room on the disc itself! It pisses me off. Is it SO effing hard? No, infact, it takes less work! Glad Enix included it too, cause I was playing and Johnny Boch or a guy who sounds just like him was the main char, and while I love JYB, he's used far to much. He also said "I'ma kick yer A!", yes. He said A, not the full word. It sounded SO STUPID "I'ma kick yer A man!"

That is such a lame hero thing to say. If he said ass, it'd at least be acceptable.

As long as it doesn't get Ar Tonelico 2 treatment... They only dub part of the Japanese dialogue, and somehow decided to not incorporate the Japanese voices that they didn't dub into the dual-audio function. Well, to put it simply, some of the dialogue that supposed to be voiced in the original game, was not voiced in the North America release, both in English and Japanese.
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Next

Return to General Chat