Fire, the new way to write visual novels

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Fire, the new way to write visual novels

Unread postby Miraploy » January 10th, 2009, 3:50 am

Writing a visual novel used to be a complicated and technical process. Reading a visual novel used to mean downloads.

No more.
Fire, the new way of writing visual novels, brings you:
  • instantly readable visual novels on the web
  • that can be written with almost zero scripting

Visual novels is a medium that deserves to be enjoyed by the masses, and that's the goal Fire is trying to achieve.

Heres a demo:
http://typemoon.us/visual-novels/chapter/miraploy/878

Here are some examples of the simplicity in Fire:

No more code, just paste and go. To create a background image, just put the url:

http://typemoon.us/sites/typemoon.us/fi ... ground.png

That's it! It's done! Your background is inserted. Create a character image?

http://typemoon.us/sites/typemoon.us/fi ... racter.png

Yes, the exact same thing, just paste the image url and you're done. Position it?

http://typemoon.us/sites/typemoon.us/fi ... racter.png center

To create a new page, type:
;p

Yes just typing two characters will create a new page, there is nothing else you need to do.

[url=http://typemoon.us/node/add/vn-chapter]Or simply take a look at the interface to see how easy it is.

Image[/url]

Feel free to write anything and play around.

The basic features list:

*Easy to use
*Accessible to everyone, on all operating systems, with a modern browser.
*Images, sprites, text, etc
*Sounds and music
*Intuitive routing between paths
*A close the lights feature that will darken the surrounding screen to increase immersion.
*Fun page transitions
*Movies/MPEG-4 video
*Sharable art and sound assets.
*Project and collaboration tools.
*Go back pages
*Options to go back
*Options to "view image"
*Many more

Please read Visual Novels for Luddites. - This page has all the instructions on how to start your visual novel.

Fire is now on Beta 3, I really really would like feedback! Fire is working perfectly AFAIK, but I would really like more testing before I declare version 1.0

If you have any suggestions, props, or flames, please post. Thankz.
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Unread postby solopy567 » January 10th, 2009, 12:39 pm

Wow, It just get better and better doesnt it? First, you don't need to buy your games, you can download them. Now, you can play them on the Internet!

It's brilliant however.
solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » January 10th, 2009, 5:37 pm

It does look interesting, mainly now that I'm starting to look for a place to start a small project I've been working on.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Rikh » January 10th, 2009, 6:06 pm

eh i hope this isn't breaching the Warez rule and stuff :|
since they are original stories, i doubt it is... right?
Rikh
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » January 10th, 2009, 11:44 pm

???
I don't see how this thread would breach it. Do you mean because of the promotion of an engine or something? It's free to use, and the dev himself (miraploy) is promoting it as such; maybe something like Ren'Py or ONScripter or something (though still not as functional, I suppose).
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby solopy567 » January 11th, 2009, 12:04 am

The thing is, somebody can actually copy the entire Tsukihime script into this engine, effectively making tsukihime free
solopy567
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » January 11th, 2009, 12:11 am

Well, i certainly didn't think about it! :lol:
But that would depend on each of the users "ethics" (or something like that). Theoretically speaking, the same can also be done with Ren'Py. That engine is freely distributed, there are CGs and sprite packs already roaming the tubez, and let's not even talk about music. The script... well, probably it could be extracted from the game somehow, but I guess that, if there was somebody interested in doing that, it would have already happened, am I right?
abscess

Unread postby CSXLoser » January 11th, 2009, 1:36 am

solopy567 wrote:The thing is, somebody can actually copy the entire Tsukihime script into this engine, effectively making tsukihime free

Dont give people any crazy ideas...
CSXLoser
Addict

Unread postby ayadew » January 11th, 2009, 1:40 am

solopy567 wrote:The thing is, somebody can actually copy the entire Tsukihime script into this engine, effectively making tsukihime free

You could copy the entire script with data mining and extraction, and program another tsukihime in a language of your choice.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby inferno_flamex » January 11th, 2009, 2:16 am

Can we stop talking about a Tsukihime being free and stuffs?? I think its kinda bordering on Warez.. Coz 70% of the items used there.. meaning the Background, SFX, Character Sprites, are still owned by type-moon.

However.. At the same time..

I would like to add that this is a VERY ingenious idea to promote VNs.
I am already thinking about making my SOULGundam doujin.. into a possible VN with this thing..

As i see it.. One could use this tool to create an ENITIRELY new VN!
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Watashimo » January 11th, 2009, 5:14 am

Hmm. I'm just curious to know why there isn't a really advanced visual novel making program out there already. I mean, judging by the looks of visual novels, there shouldn't be that much coding at all compared to normal games. In fact, I'm sure you could even make a decent visual novel in Game Maker. The largest part of the visual novel would be the story and CGs imo (most audio in visual novels is simple and you could probably find decent simple songs for free on the internet). Creating something like Visual Novel Maker shouldn't be difficult at all for anyone who knows a decent amount of coding. I don't know code, so the visual novel programs I've seen would be too much for me to make anything. This is actually the only program I've seen that I could probably use :P
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » January 11th, 2009, 5:23 am

Watashimo wrote:Hmm. I'm just curious to know why there isn't a really advanced visual novel making program out there already.

Aaaah.... Actually there are at least 3 (well, 4 if you count the Fire Engine): Blade, O/Nscripter and Ren'Py. I know that you can make a fully functioning novel with O/NScripter and Ren'Py, dunno 'bout Blade.
abscess

Unread postby exerron » January 11th, 2009, 7:29 am

Wow, this is a very good idea, congratulations!
As for improvements:
Full screen mode (I couldn't find it if there is such an option)
Usage of enter or space for different functions would be nice, though not too important.
(maybe other standard VN stuff, like sound effects, visual effects, choices, but I don't think that these are new ideas...)

Well, probably someone else came up with these alredy, but well...

warez: I don't think it is warez, just like p2p transfer is not considered piracy in itself, just because it has a great potential for publishing illegal stuff. It all depends on the way how one uses it, just like abscess said it before me.
exerron
Might just like this board

Unread postby Kid-Wolf » January 11th, 2009, 8:23 am

From what I can guess it's a 50/50 blend on the warez rule here since it's licened items that people are making thier own stories with said character without changing anything about the character design. It's almost like making a doujin, but on a computer and has a bit more action involved in it isntead of pannel by pannel.
Kid-Wolf

Unread postby Watashimo » January 11th, 2009, 1:50 pm

abscess wrote:
Watashimo wrote:Hmm. I'm just curious to know why there isn't a really advanced visual novel making program out there already.

Aaaah.... Actually there are at least 3 (well, 4 if you count the Fire Engine): Blade, O/Nscripter and Ren'Py. I know that you can make a fully functioning novel with O/NScripter and Ren'Py, dunno 'bout Blade.

Don't they all require coding knowledge though? I can't really call it a game creation program if you still need to know coding even with the program. When I think of game creation programs I think of Game Maker, RPG Maker, and the custom-game creation tools inside of games like Starcraft and Warcraft. Basically I don't really think its all that useful to the common person unless it has drag-and-drop creation tools with scripting as an advanced option.
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Miraploy » January 14th, 2009, 6:12 pm

@Watashimo, Fire is extremely easy. It's not drag and drop, but it's so bloody close. But of course all this will lead to drag and drop and full AJAX eventually. But please take a gander at making something. I really need beta testers.

@exerron, thank you!
I'm going to work on a full screen feature. You can go forward by clicking the ` key. It is the one to the left of 1. I'm not using the spacebar because most browsers already have the spacebar doing something else. And I think ` is pretty accessible. Any opinions on that?

(maybe other standard VN stuff, like sound effects, visual effects, choices, but I don't think that these are new ideas...)
Already have all of those. :) I mean... you have sound turn on and stuff?

Meanwhile we have the next version. Beta 4:
http://typemoon.us/miraploy/inversion-log/fire-beta-4

Feedback is appreciated.
Miraploy
Crack Addic!

Return to General Chat