[Project]TypeMoon: Tactics. A good idea?

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Good Idea?

HELL YES
23%
Good idea
8%
Uh okay. It's fine I guess?
4%
Eh don't waste your time.
4%
It's shit right?
4%
Shinji.
4%
Rape the Maids
54%

Total votes : 26

[Project]TypeMoon: Tactics. A good idea?

Unread postby xthr » December 7th, 2008, 10:57 pm

Well I will be taking computer science 61C next semester at college. I heard the final project is pretty free. I was thinking of perhaps creating a fan Type-Moon Tactics RPG, something like battle moon wars, I guess. I got this idea when I saw BL's random old project wiki thing that sorta failed. It looked kinda fun... :\

I know I won't have the time to finish anything but probably the basic engine, so I'm going to ask here first,

Are you my master?

Er I mean,

If I finished the engine, and left tools to design characters/stages/sprites/animations, would anyone here be interested in continuing/playing around with the project? Right now, I'm envisioning that by the end of the spring semester, I will be finished with an engine that is playable, with perhaps one or two characters, and one tile-set (which btw is a pain to create >_>). I'll also probably create some character maker tools that is easily to use for the common non-programmer, with something like "enter stats: Str-> Rank A, Agi -> Rank C, Luk -> Rank EX, etc.", as well as a scenario editor, which someone could easily write a series of stages to tell a story/plot.

Think of all the possibilities :D Someone could (not so) easily create Fate/Stay Night: Tactics, something that I always thought would be very fitting (especially since Nasu practically did half the work for us with the character sheets and stuff >_>).

Now all of this is very tentative. I might or might not do this, depending on reception here and on whether or not I become a lazy ass (very, very possible). So... discuss please :P
xthr
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Watashimo » December 7th, 2008, 11:57 pm

RAPE THE MAIDS!! Err.. does that mean very bad? I just liked the option ^^;;; lol
Its a good idea actually. I'm sure it'd be fun to make. Go ahead and do it, if your a real Type-moon fan, it would definitely be enjoyable to make.

Edit: Actually, I'd toy around with it a bit if I had the programming skills hehe...
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
"Therefore, give me tea." - Okazaki Tomoya.
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby inferno_flamex » December 8th, 2008, 12:03 am

Well.. I think that BattleMoonWars is THE fan-base tactics game to beat actually...
But seeing that you yourself is unsure about your own commitment to such a lengthy project.. I say..

Just make a 'online game' version of Fate: Tactics...

You know? The one where people only needed Flash or Shockwave to play...
THat way it will be easier me thinks...
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » December 8th, 2008, 12:31 am

Well, it does seem interesting. But as inderno said, if you don't seem to commited to it, you may end up scrapping the whole idea :?
Although there are not many tactic makers around the net, there is the not-so-famous-any-more RPG Maker, you could take some ideas from it. And yes, it's an enginde designed to create RPGs, not tactic games, but the engine itself can be used for almost whatever it is you want to do, as long as you are willing to exploit the engine as best as you can and, if you are able, tinker with its entrails. Check it out and get some ideas from it.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby gexer64 » December 8th, 2008, 12:33 am

Before you start this ask yourself this:

1. Are you sure you are going to know enough to build said engine? (after taking a course in computer science myself I can honestly say I don't)
2. Will you honestly be able to commit to such a project?
3. If you complete said engine will you be able to find to people to make the game?
4. Are the people making the game competent?

I don't want you to set yourself up for failure. People who do often come under fire later on. Why don't you wait until your final project before taking the fatal plunge that is commitment?

But if you do get this working props to you.
In a single answer lies a thousand questions.
gexer64
Crack Desu!

Unread postby xthr » December 8th, 2008, 12:43 am

gexer64 wrote:Before you start this ask yourself this:

1. Are you sure you are going to know enough to build said engine? (after taking a course in computer science myself I can honestly say I don't)
2. Will you honestly be able to commit to such a project?
3. If you complete said engine will you be able to find to people to make the game?
4. Are the people making the game competent?

I don't want you to set yourself up for failure. People who do often come under fire later on. Why don't you wait until your final project before taking the fatal plunge that is commitment?

But if you do get this working props to you.

For the above questions, I can answer a definitive yes only to the first question. I have already done something SIMILAR before (I made a customizable 2-D bot battle game before, but it was during the tenth grade, and I was using Java. I can use C++ just as well now, but I haven't actually programmed for "fun" with it yet)

For number 2, I don't think me making the engine alone would be too bad. I could finish it within a month or two if I wanted, just using a few hours of my spare time. The majority of the work would be in creating sprites and such for the game, which is why I posted it here, to see if there are is any interest. So right now I'm just looking for general comments on whether or not there are people willing to play with the engine if I did finish it. And as I said, it might be a final project idea for the course. Nothing is really definitive right now, I'm just looking for feedback
xthr
Crack Addic!

Unread postby abscess » December 8th, 2008, 1:37 am

Well, if you can develop an enginge, you don't really have to expect it to be used solely by this fanbase. I think it would be a better idea to put news about its developlment in a blog, pimp the adress around and get some people interested. Then you release it. If you aren't interested in keep working in it you can make it open-source. That way your engine would be used, and probably modded, by a wider audience. Well.... I don't think I'm actually saying anything new here... just stating he obvious, I think. Well, good luck with your (possible) project.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby Shikiller » December 8th, 2008, 2:00 am

Genuflect [x]
Shikiller
Crack Desu!

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » December 8th, 2008, 2:03 am

Pfft cool idea but I would just like to go now and RAPE THE MAIDS XD
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mkilbride » December 8th, 2008, 3:24 am

Rape the maids, yeah.

But uh, as someone else said, Battle Moon Wars already exists, I can't see much of a reason to do this, except to showcase ability.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby xthr » December 8th, 2008, 4:29 am

Hmm the consensus seems to be against the idea. That's fine I guess, more time for drawing :p

Or perhaps... TSUKIHIME: FIRST PERSON SHOOTER!
...no I hate FPSs :\
xthr
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Mkilbride » December 8th, 2008, 4:33 am

Tsukihime: RPG!

Fully, 3D! Make it a Half-Life 2, Source Engine mod.

GO ALL OUT!

Superior animation quality that only the source engine can deliver, ontop of awesome acrobatic moves and whatnot. Ah, that'd be great. It'd probably fail as a HL2 mod due to lack of actual fans probably, I'd still love it though. I mean, just imagine...

Maybe something like Prince of Persia combat, Tsukihime style though?

Ah, it's a dream, only a dream. I mean, Fate / Unlimited Codes is being released, imagine a Tsukihime game like that, or maybe all the characters from Tsukihime could be Secret characters to unlock in it. I mean, I know we have Melty Blood and it's a ton o fun, but imagine a fully 3D Shiki and seeing how badass his MEoDP would look when you can see it in full 3D.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby xthr » December 8th, 2008, 4:50 am

Mkilbride wrote:Tsukihime: RPG!

Fully, 3D! Make it a Half-Life 2, Source Engine mod.

GO ALL OUT!

Superior animation quality that only the source engine can deliver, ontop of awesome acrobatic moves and whatnot. Ah, that'd be great. It'd probably fail as a HL2 mod due to lack of actual fans probably, I'd still love it though. I mean, just imagine...

Maybe something like Prince of Persia combat, Tsukihime style though?

Ah, it's a dream, only a dream. I mean, Fate / Unlimited Codes is being released, imagine a Tsukihime game like that, or maybe all the characters from Tsukihime could be Secret characters to unlock in it. I mean, I know we have Melty Blood and it's a ton o fun, but imagine a fully 3D Shiki and seeing how badass his MEoDP would look when you can see it in full 3D.

Kingdom hearts style action rpg except with more action than mashing one button!

Team Fortress edition! Complete with noble phantasms!

Sim Tsukihime! (wtflol)

Tsukihime, the MMORPG!

Tsukihime-Tetris (not as awesome :<)

Or... do I dare suggest it... AN ANIME ADAPTATION OF TSUKIHIME! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
xthr
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Watashimo » December 8th, 2008, 4:56 am

What I would like to see is a very well done arena-type game for FSN. With a character creation system and a ranking system. Full 3-D with Servants and Masters alike. The game could last several hours and encompass a realistic-size Fuyuki City to battle on. It would be an online arena type game and you could have random battles (with everyone matching up randomly) or arranged-team games. Something that really brings out the essence of the Holy Grail War. No plot, no twists, just a real straight-up Holy Grail War.
"Hah, I see, I see! Yeah, thats so much more important than who my master is! You're right, kid!" - Lancer
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Unread postby xthr » December 8th, 2008, 4:59 am

Watashimo wrote:What I would like to see is a very well done arena-type game for FSN. With a character creation system and a ranking system. Full 3-D with Servants and Masters alike. The game could last several hours and encompass a realistic-size Fuyuki City to battle on. It would be an online arena type game and you could have random battles (with everyone matching up randomly) or arranged-team games. Something that really brings out the essence of the Holy Grail War. No plot, no twists, just a real straight-up Holy Grail War.

Reminds me of Dota, sadly enough XD
xthr
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Ciel » December 8th, 2008, 4:59 am

a 2d gameplay, 3d graphic style platformer would be great too. you could select just about every character that existed in the series and play through it, fighting some of those you didn't pick as bosses on the way.
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Levethix » December 8th, 2008, 5:03 am

hmm.. sounds like a good idea. but a lot of work too. If you do go for it, I suspect a lot of long nights trying to hammer the engine together.

But good luck.
Levethix
Might just like this board

Unread postby abscess » December 8th, 2008, 5:04 am

Aaaah... I was actually interested in the engine :( You broke my heart ;_;
Anyway. I just suggesed that, instead of a TypeMoon-oriented tactics engine, a more open one would be a better idea. With that, a TypeMoon oriented game would be possible to make. But yeah, if you wanna make a TypeMoon RPG game.... duuude! do so, man! I'd even like to help a bit if I can! :D

Anyway, since you people mentioned BMW, I want to ask a simple quesion: Has any of you guys experienced a problem where the game just freezes at random moments? It does not only freezes the game, but also the whole computer... It doesn't occur only when playing animations or transitions or playing music or something, just randomly freezing. Some times taking hours to take effect and others minutes.... I just wanna keep playing the game, but I don't want to risk my PC for only a game!
abscess

Unread postby Mkilbride » December 8th, 2008, 5:17 am

Go to the BMW forums / the place where the patch is made, I'm sure they can help, it's never happened to me and I didn't see any topics about it on the first page really.

A possibility is that you did not fully patch BMW wars and installed the patch first, this is a no no.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Watashimo » December 8th, 2008, 5:26 am

xthr wrote:
Watashimo wrote:What I would like to see is a very well done arena-type game for FSN. With a character creation system and a ranking system. Full 3-D with Servants and Masters alike. The game could last several hours and encompass a realistic-size Fuyuki City to battle on. It would be an online arena type game and you could have random battles (with everyone matching up randomly) or arranged-team games. Something that really brings out the essence of the Holy Grail War. No plot, no twists, just a real straight-up Holy Grail War.

Reminds me of Dota, sadly enough XD

Eww Dota. You're obviously not on the same train of thought as me ^^;;;
Watashimo
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to General Chat