Nscipter

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Nscipter

Unread postby Zevuel » December 6th, 2008, 2:41 am

Does anyone have a link to Nscripter, and, maybe a tutorial or some advice? I have a friend that's interested and I myself wouldn't mind learning so I could start some projects. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Zevuel
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby WingZero » December 6th, 2008, 2:51 am

Hi, this should get you started

http://nscripter.insani.org/

As for advice, I can't help you there. Although it's supposed to be one of the easier VN scripting tools out there to learn.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » December 6th, 2008, 4:31 am

This is a little off-topic but, which is easier to learn and has a higher potential of bringing a better project, NScripter/ONScripter or Ren'Py?
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby WingZero » December 6th, 2008, 5:41 am

Not Ren'Py.

Well. Not really. I'd first like to say that it's not the engine that makes for a good project, but the project itself (and the people involved). Having that out of the way:

While it is an overly misunderstood engine because MOST amateur projects resulting from Ren'py turn out bad (well, to be fair, there ARE some good ones), I've been told that it just doesn't have the same functionality as ONscripter. (I don't have first-hand experience how reliable that information is though). ONScripter seems to be capable of more. (To go into details, not that I'm really certain myself, Ren'py seems to be incapable of playing mpeg2(?) or some format of video like that. Which... isn't really a disadvantage, but is certainly inconvenient.)

But if only that alone (bad projects using Ren'py as precedents), makes it a bad choice for "a better project".

I've seen reactions before in other threads about amateur VN projects where people replied in a "Oh, it's Ren'py. Ew." manner. So yes, it comes down to prejudice.

But I guess in the end it still depends on the person. What are you more comfortable with using, etc.

Generally speaking, ONscripter seems to be more popular.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » December 6th, 2008, 5:56 am

WingZero wrote:Generally speaking, ONscripter seems to be more popular.

Really? I thought it was the other way around, since a lot of people use Ren'Py. Well, thanks.... Hmm... Besides the link you already provided, is there a source where I can check specifications in both engines? Thanks in advance.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby WingZero » December 6th, 2008, 6:29 am

Well

Ren'py is a rather popular choice for amateur projects because usually such projects are rather simplistic and do not demand too many functions (I suppose Ren'py might be easier to learn).
(don't quote me on this. Any of this. I don't have any first-hand experience after all)

But, like I said, reception is probably lukewarm at best due to already present misconceptions. I wouldn't worry about it too much though.

As for specifications, you could try here for Ren'py:

http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/Home_Page

Unfortunately, I don't know of a better link for ONScripter other than Insani's site, really.

You may want to consider checking out the Lemmasoft forums for more details:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/

There are experienced people there who can surely provide more insight into these matters than I can (all my knowledge is second hand and sketchy at best.)

Also, if you're planning a project, this link might be helpful for resources (art, tools, etc):

http://wiki.renai.us/wiki/Main_Page

*edit* oh, didn't mention this earlier, since you didn't ask, but there's a third engine called BLADE. Not nearly as popular as ONScripter or Ren'py, and I know next to nothing about it.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Unread postby abscess » December 6th, 2008, 7:15 am

Thanks again, WingZero. While lurking around the net I found this site comparing Blade, ONScripter and Ren'Py. Though it is dated (2006), its information may still be useful to some extent: http://www.lemmasoft.net/renai_dev/comparison.htm
Apparently Blade isn't exactly the right thing to choose....
I would go for ONScripter, but there appears to be no beginner section anywhere! After checking Haeleth's forum, there doesn't seem to be much discussion about it either. After all it seems I'm left with no other choice but Ren'Py...... Maaan, I'll need some huge quality story and art to break that misconception.... Music is another problem -_- but I have already strayed from the main topic of this thread. I'll try to shut up from now on! Thanks again!
abscess

Unread postby WingZero » December 6th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Happy to help. And good luck with your project.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Return to General Chat