al|together 2008

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

al|together 2008

Unread postby NonExistence » December 4th, 2008, 6:28 am

well. it's here.

i was rather surprised, seeing as how the 2006 one turned out, but it looks like insani kept at it, and finally here's the result!
while it wasn't as... numerous as the previous ones, it certainly did fulfill its original intended purposes. i congratulate Seung Park for his incredible work.
Whenever I go on, everyone leaves the Tsukihime forums. 'Cause I just fail like that.
NonExistence
Crack Addic!

Location: The Strong and Free Giant Block of Ice in the True North

Unread postby AlinSabel » December 4th, 2008, 6:44 am

Yeah, great work... interesting how many thinly veiled barbs are hidden in his words too. :roll:
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby NonExistence » December 4th, 2008, 7:04 am

any insults unintentional. i just have a tendency to say things in rather... negative wordings.

but really, congrats. it was epic. again.
Whenever I go on, everyone leaves the Tsukihime forums. 'Cause I just fail like that.
NonExistence
Crack Addic!

Unread postby AlinSabel » December 4th, 2008, 7:33 am

NonExistence wrote:any insults unintentional. i just have a tendency to say things in rather... negative wordings.

but really, congrats. it was epic. again.

Unless your name is Seung Park, I wasn't talking about you.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » December 4th, 2008, 5:53 pm

.... I don't know what are you talking about... Care to share a link or something?
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Mkilbride » December 4th, 2008, 6:10 pm

Yeah, I've no idea what this topic is about and I'm curious. I think it's some kind of inside joke or something. It's some translation website, that's all I know, and it's rarely updated. It still has Fate / Stay Night as "Only demo translated" lol.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby ScorchingFalcon » December 4th, 2008, 7:37 pm

http://altogether.insani.org/2008/0.html

There! I think the intro in the page would suffice to explain ^^
StoryTales ~A Place Where All Tales Belong
ScorchingFalcon
Posting more than n00bs

Unread postby X-Calibar » December 4th, 2008, 8:42 pm

I kept meaning to bring this up! Yep, they did a nice job with this a|together. Professional fans at work...
And just in case you haven't seen the past festivals and their novels (more free short visual novel translations that are approved by their creators)
http://at2006.haeleth.net/
http://altogether.insani.org/2005/

There are plenty to try! Oh, and here is one site I use to stay up to date visual novel announcements :
http://visual-novels.net/vn/

They have been good about keeping up with VN annoucements~
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby CSXLoser » December 4th, 2008, 9:55 pm

they are doing this year :shock: !!

Cant wait to see what is getting translated :D
CSXLoser
Addict

Unread postby X-Calibar » December 4th, 2008, 10:11 pm

CSXLoser wrote:they are doing this year :shock: !!

Cant wait to see what is getting translated :D

???
The titles are already released!

Here are they are :
1) "From the Bottom of My Heart"
http://altogether.insani.org/2008/1.html
From the Bottom of the Heart is a short visual novel released in late 2006 by the now-quiescent circle, Persian Blue. It tells the story of a young man who has recently been treated for a serious illness, and who finds a certain kind of redemption in the most unlikely place. This is the shortest work to be presented at al|together 2008; total read time clocks in at about five minutes.

2) "Crimsoness"
http://altogether.insani.org/2008/2.html
When we first read Crimsoness, we immediately exclaimed: "OMGWTFOTL!" Then, when we asked for and received permission to translate this piece for al|together, we began to realize that our initial reaction was correct. This is the OMGWTFOTL of this season, all right.

So gather 'round and hear the epic of Bakumi Moriyama, the most powerful being in the universe.

But only for three minutes.

3) "The Letter"
http://altogether.insani.org/2008/3.html
This is an English localization of 「手紙」, a short novel game originally released in 2005 using Yuuki!Novel, then remade and rereleased in 2007 using NScripter. It takes as its subject matter the meaning of "family" in an increasingly fragmented world, and clocks in at around an hour's reading time. It has several choice points, but none of them have any real effect on the outcome of the story.

Its only graphics are blurred stock photographs culled from online sources. All of its music is likewise borrowed. Despite this minimal production value, responses to this piece have been generally quite favorable, even garnering a "recommended" rating from the prolific and well-respected freeware novel game critic, NaGIsa ? no small feat for a young author then completely new to the scene.

4) "Moonshine"
http://altogether.insani.org/2008/4.html
This is a piece that takes on a subject still considered taboo by most Japanese people, and it does so with great warmth and sensitivity. I'd consider it a success even if that were the only thing it had going for it, but it also happens to display very high production value for a freeware novel game ? making this a work that really ought to be experienced no matter what your attitude toward novel games is. For this is the story of 'Mai' ? a sensitive young soul who is neither really male or female. This is the story of the unnamed protagonist ? who finds himself suddenly without a means to support himself due to factors completely outside his control. This is the story of an entire generation ? that finds itself attempting to navigate the treacherous abyss that lies in between childhood and true adulthood. This is the story of a nation ? that finds itself struggling to come to terms with a lost decade and a rapidly-changing social climate. This is a story of these things and more.

This is a story of us all.

5) "May Sky"
http://altogether.insani.org/2008/5.html
May Sky is a work with an unusual history. Originally written in Adobe Flash and released one chapter at a time online by Scrubbing in early 2005, it was converted into an installable NScripter-based distribution in August 2005, and has been well-regarded in the freeware novel game scene ever since. Unlike most Flash-based novel games, this one has substantial length ? it takes about 2-4 hours to read through the entire piece. Independent novel game reviewer NaGIsa gives this piece a "recommended" rating, noting that while the scenario is strongly written and the music is well-chosen, for a supposedly romantic piece it doesn't feel all that romantic.

6) "LEAVEs"
http://altogether.insani.org/2008/6.html
Now here is a piece that has a long and storied history with us at al|together. It has been officially attempted no less than three times by three different translators. The first time around, the translator in question grossly underestimated the amount of work it was going to take, and dropped off the face of the earth shortly thereafter. The second time around, the translator in question grossly overestimated his free time, and dropped off the face of the earth shortly thereafter. And ... well ... I guess third time's the charm. The curse of LEAVEs is now over.

This was a piece that received considerable hype during its development phases, but unfortunately it did not appear to live up to expectations; aggregate reviews at erogamescape peg this piece with a median score of 60 and an average score of 53. Perhaps part of this is because the fans expected a substantially different piece than the one that was actually released; the story of this piece has more in common with pieces like ユメミルクスリ and 天使のいない12月 than with, say, a heartwarming high school romance. User reviews of the piece generally comment on the warmth of the art style, odd nature of the writing, and weird plot twists in the story.

Those are just snippets of some of the description...
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby CSXLoser » December 5th, 2008, 12:36 am

lol no wonder...noscript was blocking the site from letting me click on links.

Thought those numbers were just part of the design.
CSXLoser
Addict

Unread postby AlinSabel » December 5th, 2008, 1:42 am

Mkilbride wrote:Yeah, I've no idea what this topic is about and I'm curious. I think it's some kind of inside joke or something. It's some translation website, that's all I know, and it's rarely updated. It still has Fate / Stay Night as "Only demo translated" lol.

That's actually correct. The group, insani, has and will only be doing the translation of the demo of F/SN. It is not a status page for translation projects all on the net (for that, check shii.org/translate - that's not all that frequently updated either, but it's a fairly comprehensive list).

You should check out the editing styles. :P
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » December 5th, 2008, 5:58 am

I have to get "Crimsoness" once it's done. I'm too lazy to read at the moment, maybe i'll do it thoroughly tomorrow.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby NonExistence » December 5th, 2008, 6:49 am

you know, while we're on the topic of insani and affiliates: has anyone any idea where haeleth is? he just sorta... disappeared into thin air.

LEAVING NARCISSU 2ND SIDE AND CLANNAD BEHIND.
NonExistence
Crack Addic!

Unread postby WingZero » December 6th, 2008, 2:14 am

Best AT to date.

Veiled barbs or not, he's just more honest and vocal about his beliefs than most others. It just so happens that these beliefs contradict with the norm most people in the community would like to uphold.

Elitist and moralfag his comments may seem, he's not the one that's in the wrong.

On the topic of Haeleth, the general story is that he's "busy with life"; or universal excuse #1 as far as fan-translation projects are concerned. Which is fine, really. People all move on sometimes. Priorities shift, things change, etc.

It's just rather unfortunate that Narcissu Side 2nd is left to dangle. I'm still hoping that it's coming though (sooner rather than later, preferably).

As for Clannad... that project's been passed on long time ago; it's not even news anymore. Less I checked, the editting is still in a, uh, less than desirable efficiency state.
WingZero
Crack Desu!

Return to General Chat