Help Downgrading Vista to XP - acer aspire 5570-2067

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Help Downgrading Vista to XP - acer aspire 5570-2067

Unread postby abscess » November 2nd, 2008, 8:35 pm

specs
Aspire 5570-2067
Intel Pentium dual-core processor T2080 (1.73 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 cache)
14.1'' WXGA Acer CrystalBrite LCD
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 160GB HDD
DVD-Super Multi DL
1GB DDR2
802.11b/g WLAN
Preloaded with "the super" Windows Vista Home Premium as the "wondrous" OS of not your choice

I was asked to revive a dead laptop (acer aspire 5570-2067, specs above) with a preloaded Vista. The thing is that it's dead now after being updated (with those updates you download from microsoft.... :roll: ). As far as my (not great) knowledge goes, if I happen to come up with the needed drivers I can downgrade from Vista to XP, as I did with my own desktop PC. But there is a problem, I still can't find some drivers and I still have some doubts about which I need and which I don't. So far I have these:
AS3680_MODEM ---------- for the modem or something like that...
TM4220_CardRdr --------- for the card reader that has at its side.
AS3680_LAN -------------- for the LAN networking.... I think.
Wireless_Atheros_V5.3.0.67_XP_XB63_XB62(WHQL) --- This one with the long name supposedly does the trick with the wireless connection.
AS3680_Touchpad ------- To be able to use the touchpad...?
AS31-51-511-Bluetooth -- To use the blootooth.

I got those drivers from these pages:
http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/ ... N=26437575
http://santacruzbarillas.org/osmanpun/d ... ire-5570z/

The ones I haven't got:
audio drivers
video(?) driver... This thing comes with an Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950, does that need any drivers or I can just leave it be?

So...
Any info on where to get the needed drivers?
Are those the drivers I really do need?
Will an SP2 or SP3 WinXP Pro do the trick and get this laptop functioning again? because I've got no Vista, and I'm afraid it will kill dead this thing again.
Are there, if needed, XP drivers for the Intel Graphics?
In those links provided above I'm told to install this High Def microsoft audio drivers along with the Realtek ones, is that really needed or do the Realtek ones are enough, because the link to those weird microsoft drivers don't work.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Divine » November 2nd, 2008, 8:52 pm

Ugh. Online tech support.

To be brief. Drivers should not be your concern. If the hardware exists, then both XP and Vista will have drivers.

What I am curious is the problem. When you say that updating has "killed" the laptop, what exactly do you mean? Does it not turn on at all? Does it not want to go into windows? Does it go into windows and display a slew of errors? Please elaborate.

The audio and video drivers should come with XP.
Divine
Addict

Unread postby abscess » November 2nd, 2008, 10:22 pm

The audio and video drivers don't always come with XP. When I downgraded my PC, it had no sound and had to go driver hunting for them, but I'm not sure if the same drivers will work in this laptop.

When I say it dies, it's because it is now unusable:
When it's turned on it tries to start windows and from here two things can happen:
[AIH]
Flashes some writing that I can't catch since it goes really fast for me, then shows this text, flickering.
!! 0x0000034 !! 245/68824 (_0000000000000000.cdf-ms)

yes, I counted the number of zeroes... After that nothing happens, until I turn it off manually, then this flashes for a moment:
!! 0x0190003 !! 245/68824 (_0000000000000000.cdf-ms)

Finally, the computer sits there in front of me, turned off and mocking me with its glowing red or green eye... (it's the battery indicator...)
[/AIH]

[BEE]
After turning it on goes directly to a black screen thath says "Windows Error Recovery", it doesn't even try to load Vista. My new black screen'd friend gives me these options:
Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
Start Windows Normally

Now, depending on what I choose, this happens
Choosing Startup Repair
Your Computer was unable to start
Startup Repair is checking your system for problems...
If problems are found, Startup Repair will fix them automatically. Your computer might restart several times during this process.
No changes will be made to your personal files or infomratio. This might take several minutes

... and it goes "searching for problems". After waiting some minutes this shows up:
Startup Repair cannot repait this computer automatically
Sending more information can help Microsoft creates soluttions.
- Send information about this problem (recommended)
- Don't send

We all know it doesn't really help to send said info... After either of those choices, I can click finish, shutting down the laptop, or cancel, which restarts it

Choosing start Windows Normally
Starts loading Vista and you can go back to the [AIH] section from here...
[/BEE]

I didn't give information on what the problem with the laptop was because I don't want to fix Vista, I want to format it and downgrade it to XP. Vista sucks, so I want to try my luck freeing (or frying :P) this poor laptop from Vista.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess

Unread postby Divine » November 3rd, 2008, 2:20 am

Well, you should have no problem with XP.

I was just making sure your laptop still worked.

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/data/7 ... _Audio.zip

For your audio driver

Video card driver will come with XP.

btw, all that detail goes over my head. When I see that sort of stuff I go hunting for my windows CD ;)
Divine
Addict

Unread postby abscess » November 3rd, 2008, 4:50 pm

Thanks for the driver, for some reason when I try loading the drivers section of the acer homepage it never finishes but I can still use links that go directly to download them..... I'll try my luck killing Vista today but.... well, first I gotta have my dose of HF (Aaah! Sakura is.... well, it's kinda troublesome to try to describe her right now :?) :P I'll update later saying if I have any luck or I just screwed up, that way this thread may be of some help to someone else in need of some guidance. Thanks again!

[Edit]
I got this thing working perfectly. Will edit first post later with the steps on how I did it. Cheers for those in the know who know how to downgrade!
abscess

Return to General Chat