Why Do You like/watch Anime/Manga/Jap things/etc.

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Why Do You like/watch Anime/Manga/Jap things/etc.

Unread postby james-skarz » November 1st, 2008, 8:14 am

Ok, First of all, hissashiburi~ but I'm back :D

Into the topic: A few weeks back, when school started again, I was venting my anger to a friend about another friend who was absolutely NARUTarded (and claimed Naruto > Bleach because of its STORY, I know), in the midst of my rant about Bleach and Naruto and everything in-between, when he suddenly said 'That's fine that you're a freak and all, but seriously, why the hell do you watch this stuff, anime i mean. Like, what really appeals to you about it? Because I have no idea.' <- Exact words :D. Needless to say, I was quite speechless, not surprised at all, but speechless. I really had no answer.

So after pondering it after many sh**s in the toilet... I came up with this: Because anime is able to give us the imaginative and wonderous feelings and experiences that many blockbuster movies and such do, while presenting it in a 'fairly innocent' style, that of a cartoon; but reaching far beyond the boundaries of something typically considered a cartoon (humor-ridden, unending and 'consistently comical'). In other words, the lovechild of say...Movie Directors like Quentin Tarantino and Tom + Jerry: Something that's still a cartoon, but damn fun, pretty smart (maybe not Tarantino but just think about it for yourself) and damn bloody (Thats the Tarantino ^_^).

Feel free to list your own reasons why you enjoy the fun in the Rising Sun.

Peace out!

P.S. Back! Again! xD
LEADER OF THE GARSERKERS!!! ^_^
james-skarz
Addict

Unread postby ayadew » November 1st, 2008, 9:28 am

The culture is interesting, it's as valid as any other type of art/media to appreciate. To neglect a niche is ignorant, to focus on only one niche is ignorant. I believe in experiencing all aspects of everything.
The instant I tear off your limbs, rip open your chest and pull out your intestines, biting into your neck as you ask for mercy, chewing through your eyes and spreading your brains on the ground like butter-------!
ayadew
Totally hardly posted

Re: Why Do You like/watch Anime/Manga/Jap things/etc.

Unread postby Catastrophe » November 1st, 2008, 4:33 pm

james-skarz wrote:why the hell do you watch this stuff

because I can. (?)

srsly, i like it, and thats all. :roll:
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » November 1st, 2008, 5:24 pm

What ayadew and Catatstrophe said.

Also, it's not as if everyone likes ever single anime & manga out there. You can give that guy many different kinds of manga and chances are he will like some of them.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Mkilbride » November 1st, 2008, 5:27 pm

Because suddenly, one time, I noticed I found American TV boring...and this was interesting and made me think, it was a new concept, I never had to think before hand...so I like it because of that.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » November 1st, 2008, 5:33 pm

I got questioned that a lot...
My asnwer: JUST BECAUSE.
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby X-Calibar » November 1st, 2008, 6:03 pm

A good friend introduced me to anime a long time ago... and at about the same time I travelled to China and saw anime on TV for the first time...! [before Cartoon Network] I couldn't understand a word, but I was mesmorised lol It looks Cool. [never did find out what I was watching.. some space series.]

But, why was I hooked? Record of Lodoss War OVA. I've always been a fan of fantasy games/movies. Grew up on games like Ultima VII : The Black Gate, Final Fantasy IV,VI,VII, Ys : Vanished Omens, Secret of Mana, blah blah :P

But good fantasy movies are about ... well there's hardly any. Willow has always been a favorite. But, movies are short...
LODOSS was long!! 13 episodes bringing to life a good fantasy story. It's exactly what I'd been craving!!! Oh and most importantly, the episodes weren't random events, but one long linear story... THAT is one of the main reasons I was blown away. I'm tired of regular TV shows that just bounce around every episode, one random thing to the next...

brief answer :
So the reason I like anime? It's longer than a movie. More time to develop characters, plots and interesting ideas... Books and games and the imagination are great fun, but seeing what I'd dreamt of come to life in full animation that wasn't disney or for children captured my attention.

btw I don't overdose in anime... I usually will buy/watch one new series a month or something and just be hooked. And I usually only go for the titles that have reviewed well or catch me by a good opening or song, idea or something..
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Maes » November 1st, 2008, 7:23 pm

My reasons: I like animation and I like good stories/action/drama/romance(why I'm fanatical about certain VN's like F/SN, Ever17, and now Chaos;Head). The combination of the two that can be found in anime is just too perfect for me. As somewhat less of a factor I find Japanese culture interesting and I think that the Japanese language is quite interesting and can be very beautiful when sung.

Oh, and I can also blame my SNES for getting me interested in Japanese stuff. Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and Final Fantasy VI FTW!
Last edited by Maes on November 1st, 2008, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Thalnos » November 1st, 2008, 8:59 pm

Racial slur in thread title.
"We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly." - Bill Maher
Thalnos
Crack Addic!

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » November 1st, 2008, 10:30 pm

Anime - Because its like a tv show except you can do anything you like and aren't limited by the level of the cgi quality available ... And noone likes all anime there are some genres you like and some you don't and many that I like could not occur under a western setting because of the close minded government (especially the toolbags running australia that even want to censor my internet like china ... *goes off to rant*) *Sigh* As soon as uni ends I am so out of this country ...

Manga - Meh I don't read much ...

Jap things - Errm I guess you can say JRPG's is one and I love them because they usually focus on the story rather than gameplay and its almost like watching an anime with just that little bit of interactivity. Sure I enjoy gameplay as well but I get that from western games already. I like a little change ...

Edit - @Thalnos - It AINT a racial slur if you don't mean it to be. Also Japanese is easily shortened to Jap. It's more convenient for everyone. It's just people like you reminding everyone of the days long gone again and again. Get over it already. Next time someone says Jap go along with it unless he really did mean it in a derogatory sense.
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby lolipedofin » November 2nd, 2008, 2:27 am

I started with manga, doraemon to be exact, back when i was 6 or 7... enhanced by Dragon Ball and Candy-Candy XD, start to watch sunday morning anime (abysmally dubbed). But maybe i'm beginning to be really hooked when i was introduced to fansub, i remember the first ones i watched was Full Metal Panic, RAVE, and Gundam SEED... after that i gradually becoming more hooked up to it until to the state I am right now, where i take playing eroge and collecting figurine as something normal to do... :lol:

I always say that if people spare the time and remover their prejudice to try watching several anime or manga, more often than not they would like it, at least some of it... Hell, i even managed to get my dad to read Maison Ikkoku and Azumanga Daioh.

For my personal reasons to be hooked to it... imagination and fantasy involved in it, good and sometimes deep meaningful story, moe character... etc. I have to say though, my first reason for liking some anime is because i clicked with the jokes, it's funny, what can i say? another thing that comes to my mind is the way love is told in japanese anime. We all know that when it comes to sex, Japanese are one of the most immoral people out there... call it hypocrite or whatever, but i like the way they even make kiss as such a big deal... well, sometimes they overdid it, but it still much better than Hollywood movies where you get to meet, have one meal together, laugh 3 times, then bang-bang until sunrise...
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby james-skarz » November 2nd, 2008, 2:15 pm

lolipedofin wrote:I started with manga, doraemon to be exact, back when i was 6 or 7

Same! Although a relative sent me them in the mail at that age...so i was watching the (chinese was it?) dub. Man that Doraemon was awesome xD.

To everyone that replied with 'Just Because', that was my first answer and he shrugged it off xD.

P.S. 'Jap' was definitely NOT meant as a racial slur, I often shorten things since saying some words in a really long sentence becomes quite tedious.I tend shorten words alot, such as saying things like 'yeshua' and 'meh' instead of 'yeah sure' and 'whatever' (yeah, meh is an abbreviation of whatever). :P
LEADER OF THE GARSERKERS!!! ^_^
james-skarz
Addict

Unread postby lolipedofin » November 2nd, 2008, 2:55 pm

lol... this is the first time i heard yeah sure shortened as "yeshua"... Do you know that it is the what widely believed to be Jesus Christ original name in Hebrew. before it was Englified(?) in King James version. "Yeshua Hamashia" to be exact.

And this is also the first time i heard that meh is short for whatever... I always though that it's as a sigh, gesture, sound you made when you're trying to imply "yeah, whatever"

I do agree that Jap is no longer implying derogatory notion when used... it's just a convenient, short version of japan(-ese). even N-word can be used more casually right now, ok, still gonna spark some shortcircuit when used inter-racially, but from what i know and i experienced, they're not that agitated by that word anymore.... And i always think that the more insulting nickname used during war was "Nip" not "Jap"... CMIIW.
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Mkilbride » November 2nd, 2008, 3:26 pm

My dad uses it in a racial way I guess. He always refers to to them as Japs and Chinese as Chinkers who name their kids by throwing pots and pans down the stairs. He's racist, but not in the "I'll go Lynch a guy" kinda way, but more in the joke about it with his friends kind of way. Although, to be fair, he grew up during the 50's, so, that kinda explains alot of it.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Thalnos » November 2nd, 2008, 4:00 pm

drizzt_rocks wrote:Edit - @Thalnos - It AINT a racial slur if you don't mean it to be. Also Japanese is easily shortened to Jap. It's more convenient for everyone. It's just people like you reminding everyone of the days long gone again and again. Get over it already. Next time someone says Jap go along with it unless he really did mean it in a derogatory sense.

Yes it is. That's like saying "nigger" isn't a racial slurr, IF YOU DUN MEAN IT!!!1!!1one. Let me tell you something, a racial slur is a racial slur no matter how you use it. If you see a white person say the n-diggle, that person will get fucked up, and be labeled a racist. Same goes for Chink, Kike, Jap, or what have you. And I'm sure he didn't mean it in a racist way, but regardless that's what it is. If you don't believe me, go to fucking wiki or something and look it up. Go and say the word "Jap" at a job interview or even at work. You'll get thrown out before you can even blink.

If you want to use a shortening then use the OFFICIAL shortening for Japanese: JPN or JP. Don't throw out a fucking racial slur then pretend it isn't one. I, for one, am now offended.
"We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly." - Bill Maher
Thalnos
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Mkilbride » November 2nd, 2008, 4:21 pm

Well it's good that you're offended, but for all the wrong reasons.

If I said "Those dirty Japs", it'd be a racial slur.

If I said "Those Japs sure know how to make xxx product" or so, while the general rule of society is to label me a racist, of some sort, if it's not intended in a harmful way, I don't see why offense should be taken.

On top of the N-Word, black people use it all the time, and I never did anything really racist at school, but all the African Americans(Ohh look, I'm politically correct ;o)used to look at me or try to point be as a racist, just because I'm white. I live up north, so I hadn't seen many African Americans until I went to High School, infact, in my old school, there was only 3 out of the 700, and they were Half-white, so it never really bothered me. High School comes around, 2700 students in this cool, and about 500 are African American, or so my school census thing says. I don't really do anything out of the norm, but they all give me these looks and shout "What're you looking at!"

Now, I know it's not the same for everyone, but my cases have only hardened my thought of the Stereotype, where they try to fight with me, because I'm white, and so I turn them down and then they all start smack talk. I had some African American friends, but it was a contrasting difference to the others I had met.

I've veered off the track, sorry. What I'm saying is, I'm pissed that African Americans can call us every name in the book, and not be racist, but just because I'm White, I'm a racist, and it's my fault for all of their problems. I'm also sick of them blaming us, our ancestors did it, but that's NOT what I'm most pissed off about, it's the fact they act like it HAPPENED TO THEM. All the African Americans at school complained about Racism and unfairness on their people and how horrible we are. Was it horrible what our ancestors did? I won't disagree, it was a horrible thing, but that was 200 years ago and the minor stuff in between didn't happen to them either. It'd be a different story if I met a 70 yer old African American, I'd understand his hate, but I can't understand a 15 year old African Americans hate towards me, not to mention I'm Irish and my family tree only starts in America after Slavery was abolished) On top of it all, America isn't even the only country to have had African American slaves, but we're the only ones who seemed to get bashed for it?

Forgive my long rant, but I really hate it when someone comes on about a racial slur. Listen, I'm an American, and when someone calls me a Dirty pigheaded American or something else like that, I don't really give a damn, because I KNOW my Country sucks, not to mention, it's just words. The N word is said by almost every African American artist or actor today, but if a white guy says it, oh CRAP! He's a RACIST!

Funny how it is, the only people who are racist are the Whites, everyone else is fine, but I guess every world problem is blamed on us today. African Americans can insult us all they want because of what happened to their ancestors by OUR Ancestors. At least in the recent years, it's become better. Alot of them are starting to admit it's not fair to take credit for something that didn't happen to them. I have many African American friends, but while you may say I'm racist, I only make friends with the ones who don't blame every problem they have on something that happened so long ago. To me, they've gotten past it and show they are a better person for it.

It's like the Indians, we gave them a raw deal and I REALLY feel bad about that, but you know? Hey? I didn't have any part in it, nor did my Ancestors.

I guess what it all comes down to though is, people will say "Well Whites had it coming to them" right...

That's like saying the son of a Rapist should be killed because his father was a rapist.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Thalnos » November 2nd, 2008, 5:32 pm

That doesn't matter. Jap is a racial slur. I don't give a shit if you didn't mean it in that way. It just IS. That is a FACT. It doesn't matter if they're ok with it, it's still a racial slur. Is that so hard to understand?

Whatever, I don't care. But I fucking dare you to go to a public work place and use that word in an "innocent" or "non-offensive" way. Then you'll see.
Thalnos
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Mkilbride » November 2nd, 2008, 5:38 pm

Most people do these days, at least in parts of the world we're we get along. Hell, my Black friends and I joke around about Racism all the time. We both start making fun of each other and calling each other Racist.

Blackula, the black Dracula, he likes that name. Most of the people in his family feel the same. We think it's pretty retarded to be offended by some words that mean nothing.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Maes » November 2nd, 2008, 9:05 pm

The original topic called, it wants its thread back.
その目だれの目?
Maes
DESU DESU!

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » November 3rd, 2008, 12:30 am

Thalnos wrote:That doesn't matter. Jap is a racial slur. I don't give a shit if you didn't mean it in that way. It just IS. That is a FACT. It doesn't matter if they're ok with it, it's still a racial slur. Is that so hard to understand?

Whatever, I don't care. But I fucking dare you to go to a public work place and use that word in an "innocent" or "non-offensive" way. Then you'll see.

Heh actually I have a few japanese friends and they really don't care one way or the other. Its usually the oh-so-righteous white guys who get more pissed off about it then anyone else XD

And the difference between saying jap and nigger and saying u dont mean it as a racial slur is that one is just a shortening of the word (and quite commonly used in fact outside the west) while the other IS an actual racial slur and doesnt really mean anything else. Like I said get over the fact that it used to mean a racial slur because you bringing it up again and again is just an annoyance for everyone.

OK back to the main topic now :P
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Next

Return to General Chat