Why Do You like/watch Anime/Manga/Jap things/etc.

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby lolipedofin » November 3rd, 2008, 2:22 am

I kinda agree with my Mkilbride in this matter. It's funny how white people can get all the blame for being racist, but when people of colors stating stereotypes, cursing and make a mockery of them, they can get away with it... and i don't think this forum need to be as formal as job interview, a little slacking off here and there won't hurt, right??

Lastly, I'm not an American nor Japanese... Race never really much an issue in my country...so you can say my comment as someone who knows nothing, or a neutral point of view from a third party... Well, not exactly neutral, my grandpa lived his childhood during the WW2, he experienced Japanese 3.5 years of occupation in my country, and they fucked us up quite well back then.... according to Mkilbride experience, doesn't that give me all freedom in the world to say anything i want about them?? lolol. nah just kiddin, it's all in the past... We all love them now... :D

Well, above anything else... I mostly agree with Maes... other we create another thread, or we return back to the topic before Message come with his spare padlock...

Anyone else wanna share how they fell into this otaku sub-culture?
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » November 3rd, 2008, 6:33 pm

lolipedofin wrote:other we create another thread, or we return back to the topic before Message come with his spare padlock...

Heh! Do not worry! I'll try to deflect the padlock with the mightynness of my mighty post!...... yeah, whatever...

lolipedofin wrote:Anyone else wanna share how they fell into this otaku sub-culture?

How did I fall into it...?
Hmmm, Let me try to remember....
..... Ah! now I know! I'll spoiler tag it, since it may be a bit long :P

It all goes back to what little I can remember of my childhood. I remember my brothers were watching something in the TV with all the interest a young child can show, in other words, they were glued to the TV with a stupid face (though I didn't see it like that back then :P). It was Macross (grossly made into Robotech's first part.... geez, now it hurts so baaaaad...). I saw some characters talking with a big set of eyes and suspiciously unnatural hair-dos and from time to time some robots were shown. As the youngest of all, I really couldn't put much attention to it so I didn't really get anything and I was getting dissinterested, but I just stayed there... then those robots started moving... fast. My kid's brain saw "oh! pretty colors and moving big things! OH! explosions!!" thus I started watching it along with them. The first time through I didn't understand squat of what was going on (or that's what I think since I can barely remember), and when the artstyle started changing drastically I just couldn't keep focused since I was asking myself constantly "whatever happened to the crew from the other part? What the hell are we watching now?!". The strange changing artsyle was because of Calr Macek's "geniousness".... but I just didn't know that then, probably I couldn't even understand it.

Then came Saint Seiya, if it wasn't because of it I would have lost all interest in anime back then. Again, a big set of eyes and weird hair caught my attention, but this was different, it looked more "polished" somehow (it was just that it was newer than Macross so the animaiton was of a better quality). The scene was simple, two guys were fighting, but they were talking and yelling at times, strange things came out of nowhere... a dragon and a pegasus, but I didn't know much about mythology those days. So, the formula was simple but good: cartoons, graphic violence, more violence, and pretty colors. Could a child ask for more? probably not at the time, but this was different in a way, it had a story that I actually understood (I had grown up a bit more since Macross so I could keep focused for more than a few minutes :P). Everything went on from there, my brothers and I were watching those weird cartoons all day all days. IronMan 28 and Captain Tsubasa came along with Sailor Moon and a bunch of others I can't remember (plus a re-run for Macross! Now I understood it! but the changing artstyle still got me so I stopped watching it).

One of those days my brothers, now in junior high-school (I think...?) were talking about anime, I was interested and tried to listen in, and after nagging (a lot might I add) to tell me what it was... well, it went on freefall from there! :lol: Being a fan of videogames from a very early age, growing up watching anime and not going out much did this to me :P
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Thalnos » November 3rd, 2008, 7:12 pm

Ah man, I was so busy being anally hurt about the title that I forgot to contribute to the thread:

Why Do You like/watch Anime/Manga/Jap things/etc?

Hm...gunna try and break this down:

Lessee...mango and animu...obviously I love and watch/read them for the story. They can do shit that you can't do with real actors and what not.
I love PVC figures because....I have no idea why I waste so much cash on that shit. I just love em. Same goes for wallscrolls.
I love eroge for the same reason as anime/manga. Great stories, interactive novels, and sometimes good sex scenes (bible black...discipline...yum).
I like hentai because I find it erotic and it appeals to me. I don't really watch too much hentai, as the art style is usually shit, but I do read a ton of doujins. And own a ton of doujins. Great fap material, and sometimes even good stories.

That sums up everything, me thinks. Oh and if anyone ever tells you "wow, why are you so obscessed with fucking asian cartoons?" tell them to fuck off. I do, and it works out well :wink:
"We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly." - Bill Maher
Thalnos
Crack Addic!

Unread postby metal_cocoabo » November 4th, 2008, 1:53 am

Personally, I like these so-called "asian" cartoons because of the depth of plot. I think it's because of the target demographic -- not all anime are directed towards kids/teens. Compare a seinen anime to, let's say, Spongebob. You'll see the difference.
metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » November 12th, 2008, 6:16 am

@metal_cocoabo
Just goes to show you that the Japanese take their animation seriously.
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby Thalnos » November 12th, 2008, 7:35 pm

Contrary to popular belief:

For the majority of Japanese society, if you don't stop watching anime at about 14 years of age give or take a few years, you will be labeled as an otaku (i.e. everyone will think you're a loser). Before that, yeah it is cool to watch anime. Of course you get the few people that watch anime every now and then, but the majority of society doesn't.

Manga, on the other hand, is a completely different story. Huge part of the population reads manga, hell you'll see businessmen reading it on the train, etc. Mainly because of its ease of use and how cheap it is.

But it just irks when you get fuckin' white kids going "ZOMG NIPPON IS TEH MUTHER LAND!!11!1one EVERYONE LOVES ANIME AND VIDEO GAMES AND ARE KAWAII DESU!"
"We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly." - Bill Maher
Thalnos
Crack Addic!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » November 13th, 2008, 5:15 am

Thalnos wrote:But it just irks when you get fuckin' white kids going "ZOMG NIPPON IS TEH MUTHER LAND!!11!1one EVERYONE LOVES ANIME AND VIDEO GAMES AND ARE KAWAII DESU!"

QFT.

I had a classmate who talked almost exactly like that on my first week at college.
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » November 13th, 2008, 11:18 pm

metal_cocoabo wrote:Personally, I like these so-called "asian" cartoons because of the depth of plot. I think it's because of the target demographic -- not all anime are directed towards kids/teens. Compare a seinen anime to, let's say, Spongebob. You'll see the difference.

Are yoou saying Spongebob has no depth of plot? WHAT!? *smacks hand on forehead*. But I see what you mean they should focus more on Patrick Star ...
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby SuperGirl » November 20th, 2008, 2:42 am

Honestly, you're not going to get may posts outside of "Just because" or "It's cause I like it." For the reason I'm so into it is probably because I love being infatuated with things, a couple years from now I probably would be into something far different than VNs or Anime. By then I'd probably look down on my past self.
SuperGirl
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby I1nk » December 1st, 2008, 5:00 am

Well for me I have a few reasons. One is that I have liked anime since I was a kid. The second is that when I was over a relative?s house they would watch TV in Japanese, so I have gotten use to listening to shows that I do not understand what they are saying. The last one is that I thing the story is better and the quality of animation is better. Have anyone seen the shows they have on cartoonnetwork? The shows (Well My opinion) look like the people didn?t really take their time in drawing them and or the story is not done well. Well some are exceptions to this; Family guy is one of them. Even though it is a comedy and does not have a story line like Tenchi. Well Tenchi did toss around a lot with their story.
"Night closed night, other night, night pain, night sink, is night/stay night."
I1nk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Etoh » December 1st, 2008, 1:58 pm

I watch Anime for the same reason I watch English-language shows and movies and other foreign shows and movies (Japanese, Chinese, Spanish, French, etc) - because I enjoy them. There are plenty of boring Anime that don't suit my taste and I don't watch those, but if it has good characters and an interesting storyline and is fun to watch then I'll watch it. Watching entertainment from a different culture allows you to experience things from a different perspective, but I don't think there is anything super special about Japan.

Personally I like variety. There are quite a few Western shows I like, some of them episodic and others focussing on long story arcs, but they have many of their own tropes and cliches and most of the stories are pretty unimaginative. Anime has its fair share of cliches, but at least they are different cliches, and I try to avoid the programmes I don't find interesting. The medium of animation allows for things which just wouldn't be possible in 'live action', and in the West it is heavily underutilised. Japan on the other hand makes the most of it, and so I watch many Japanese shows. Also, I prefer shows with big arcs and most English-language programmes are episodic or only achieve it in a meandering way.

I guess one of the reasons why Anime is better than many Western shows is because of Manga. Manga is very popular and allows for greater creative risks and freedoms. Because many Anime are based on Manga or Visual Novels they have an existing fanbase. When a show is adapted they already know where the story is going and if it is interesting, so it is not the same as just having a pitch on a general idea for a show and getting it greenlit before you have a good idea of what it is about and where it is going.
Etoh
Totally hardly posted

Previous

Return to General Chat