What do you do...

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

What do you do...

Unread postby Sepheriel » October 28th, 2008, 6:08 am

when there is no translation for a game that you want to play? Do you play it anyway? It seems like a majority of the people on here have played through Heaven's Feel and F/HA as well as other visual novels and the like. Do all of you know Japanese or what do you do? I have four visual novels I want to play but my Japanese is no where good enough and they aren't translated. Thanks.
EKUSU---------KALIBAAAAAAAA!!
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 28th, 2008, 6:43 am

How people could know about events occurring in games without translation patches:

Anime Games Text Hooker (AGTH) + some sort of translator that supports copy-paste, such as ATLAS

Some kind soul may have done a text translation (i.e., the translation is in a text file).

Some of us just read spoilers.
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby EusthEnoptEron » October 28th, 2008, 9:48 am

When I badly wanted to play Saya's route in Little Busters, I first tried to get through it with the Atlas and AGTH combination. But I wasn't happy with this method, since I didn't get about 90% of what was going on.
After this I learned Kana, went through Tae Kim's grammar guide, downloaded the RikaiChan extension for Firefox and played all through that da*n thing. I think I got most of the story, but it took me over a month to finish.

I wouldn't do it again. It would have been better to use the time to actually learn the language. But I don't regret it - after all I've been able to enjoy Saya's story. :D
Also I don't really recommend it. Although you should be much faster than me, if you just try to get the basic meaning of the sentences (I wrote down everything to be able to analyze and combine the story parts to minimize misconceptions).
EusthEnoptEron
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby inferno_flamex » October 28th, 2008, 4:21 pm

I personally do not play non-translated games or non-english games... I just.. DOnt..

I'd rather go revisit some of my favourite games like... Snow Sakura.. Maybe even Tottemo Pheromone... Heck.. FSN UBW route has be reread for god knows how many times...

But the thing is...

Games like GreenGreen...

These games are still not localised, but I still own em despite em being in japanese... Simply because i enjoyed the anime SOOOOOO MUUUCH!

I have em for a LOONNNGGGG time now... All i need now is a translation patch... So im ready and hoping that they are popular enough to spark someone into translating it someday...

Here's having my fingers crossed...
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
~:~:~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 28th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Mm, I tried Atlas + that Text Hooker thing and I was like...wow...

I was expecting a bad translation maybe, I even downloaded that file that has like 7000 words use in Visual Novels library and imported it, but it was JUST SO BAD.

It often described Objects...in such a weird way

"Look in such a way that provokes thought" - Can't enjoy a game like that.

I have a game I REALLY EFFING WANT translated. It's like Men At Work 2, but better Graphics and Gameplay.

Spirit of Eternity Sword 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExFQE14-II

Looks pretty good, and according to VNDB, no translation is in progress...and I googled it and someone said there was a Website that had all the text translated...but fat lot of good that is, it'd be annoying to get into a cutscene and keep looking over at the text. I have two Monitors, so it might not BE as bad, but regardless, it'd be very hard to enjoy.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby I1nk » October 29th, 2008, 12:21 am

For now I just read about the game and look at pictures of it. Then go back to my good old FF7 game. Or even watch some good old anime classics.
I1nk
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Thalnos » October 29th, 2008, 1:28 am

I continue playing because I know japanese. And if I get to some kanji or a part that is hard to understand I'll call my friend and ask her to tl for me.
"We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly." - Bill Maher
Thalnos
Crack Addic!

Unread postby lolipedofin » October 29th, 2008, 1:59 am

Well... nothing to do about it.... I don't like AGTH+ATLAS combi, it's nowhere near enjoyable experience... Trying to learn Japanese right now, but it's kinda hard to find a good place to learn japanese in Singapore... hopefully next year, i could at least understand japanese when playing eroge, with a kanji dictionary beside me and snail pace though.
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 29th, 2008, 2:09 am

I can't learn Japanese sadly, for a few reasons:

1. I'm Lazy

2. I'm really not that bright, and I usually forget how to do things I just learned.(Yet years later, I'll randomly remember how to do them...)

3. I get bored of things easily

With those three things listed, I won't get far in life, and I certainly won't learn Japanese. :P
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » October 29th, 2008, 2:19 am

I wait for a translation.

I am interested in some other languages so i won't start going full at studying japanese... However, once winter break begins i might get into it and german. Maybe.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 29th, 2008, 2:26 am

Some games will never get a translation.

I really want "Moon" to be translated, it's the prequel to One ~ To a Radiant Season, pretty much. I hear it explains the Eternal World in great detail.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » October 29th, 2008, 2:29 am

^Truth. Lucky me i'm not interested in playing them all. Just a select few.

What's Eternal World?
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 29th, 2008, 2:37 am

Eternal World is something that happens in One ~ To a Radiant Season. I can't really explain details, or else it'd spoil that game...and if you've already played it, I'd hope you'd know. :P
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby lolipedofin » October 29th, 2008, 3:07 am

Atriel wrote:I am interested in some other languages so i won't start going full at studying japanese... However, once winter break begins i might get into it and german. Maybe.

Japanese is my first priority right now.... after that I'm thinking of taking either Chinese or French.
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » October 29th, 2008, 5:54 am

Chinese D: ? You are so brave.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Sepheriel » October 29th, 2008, 7:21 am

Thalnos wrote:I continue playing because I know japanese. And if I get to some kanji or a part that is hard to understand I'll call my friend and ask her to tl for me.

I wish my friend who knows Japanese really well had the time and care to translated the text in all of these things :( Btw, your avatar is bitchin' I don't have a DS but I want to play that game SO bad.
EKUSU---------KALIBAAAAAAAA!!
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby lolipedofin » October 29th, 2008, 10:33 am

Atriel wrote:Chinese D: ? You are so brave.

I know... lol. If it's not because their recent surge in economy and power, i wouldn't even think about touching it... But well gotta be prepared for what the world needs.. ;p
Uchi kaeru....
lolipedofin
DESU DESU!

Unread postby nanaya_shinya » November 3rd, 2008, 11:00 am

Thalnos wrote:I continue playing because I know japanese. And if I get to some kanji or a part that is hard to understand I'll call my friend and ask her to tl for me.

same here...
!すでのな
nanaya_shinya
OMEGA DESU!

Location: Ahnenerbe Cafe, Beast's Lair branch, lurking the KanColle threads.

Unread postby Aetheus » November 3rd, 2008, 11:52 am

I can't understand Jap (and it'll take years to get a good command over it), so I either just wait for a translation patch or I watch the anime/read the manga/read a summary of the plot. Not a real solution, but its better than nothing.
Aetheus
Totally hardly posted

Unread postby Thalnos » November 3rd, 2008, 7:07 pm

Sepheriel wrote:

I wish my friend who knows Japanese really well had the time and care to translated the text in all of these things :( Btw, your avatar is bitchin' I don't have a DS but I want to play that game SO bad.

Eh, don't give in to the hype, OoE isn't that great. I honestly prefer PoR.

But yeah I'm lucky my friend is Japanese and is as much of a loser and anime/eroge fan as I am. We usually read eroge together, and if I get stuck I ask her wtf something means. Works out pretty well.
"We have been the cowards lobbing cruise missiles from 2,000 miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building, say what you want about it, it's not cowardly." - Bill Maher
Thalnos
Crack Addic!

Next

Return to General Chat