Unique idea for an anime based off a Visual Novel.

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unique idea for an anime based off a Visual Novel.

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 20th, 2008, 11:05 am

You know how most VN's don't voice the main char? It's left up to you to decide what he sounds like?

I don't watch animes based off VN, cause it'll give me a bad impression, but from the previews I've seen, they're voiced in it.

I don't know if it's like when a book is translated into a movie and people don't like the voice a guy has in it, but what if, instead of voicing him, they just made him move lips?
Maybe just subtitle what he's saying in, or have the characters look at him questioningly, maybe break the 4th wall, I'm not sure, but somehow reference the VN. I just thought how funny it'd be to see.
He'd be moving his lips, giving his whole speech, and maybe people would just stare? Or you'd hear someone say something about "I never hear xxx speaking..."

Not sure why I came up with this, could be from watching Suzumiya, or something, but I just generally thought that if the movie principle applies that you don't like the guy who voices a character, maybe it could apply in this situation?
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby metal_cocoabo » October 20th, 2008, 11:43 am

Mkilbride wrote:but what if, instead of voicing him, they just made him move lips?

Now if only there were a mime character in a VN... This could probably work if the main lead has a non-existent voice... o_O
metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 20th, 2008, 12:39 pm

Main chars often do have a non-existing voices in VNs, left up to us to imagine how they sound. I dunno, I just think it'd be funny.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby AlinSabel » October 20th, 2008, 12:49 pm

Most people who watch media like that tend to hate subtitles. They're inherently predisposed to want everything done for them - including having the story set out for them.

Whenever there's a TV show that makes people think, it inevitably gets mediocre ratings, despite how intriguing it is...
AlinSabel
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 20th, 2008, 1:12 pm

Really? I love Japanese voiced anime for two reasons.

Voices.

Subtitles.

The subtitles allow me to absorb a story and what type of character they are, while the voices allow me to hear how they are saying it. My brain works better at taking in text than audio, really.
Some things can be only understood when written, and some things can only be understood when said.

They don't all get mediocre reviews...well at least in America, they do. I hate my damn country.

Most people I know are like you said, they hate thinking to hard and / or reading subtitles, I do have a friend or two who like it, but most prefer simple things.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » October 20th, 2008, 7:51 pm

^America is a continent.

But yeah, most are lazy bastards that can't be bothered to read a damn paragraph.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby abscess » October 20th, 2008, 8:11 pm

Atriel wrote:^America is a continent.

But yeah, most are lazy bastards that can't be bothered to read a damn paragraph.

Quoted for Truth!
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby that one guy » October 20th, 2008, 9:38 pm

Atriel wrote:^America is a continent.

False, America is two continents.
that one guy
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atriel » October 20th, 2008, 11:25 pm

^Geography? I'm talking about it socially, but whatever.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Nerroth » October 21st, 2008, 2:31 am

The Americas could be considered a landmass, the way Eurasia is - but yeah, it's two continents.

Shame there's no easy-to-roll-off-the-tongue version of the French-Canadian term etatsunien...
Nerroth
Crack Desu!

Return to General Chat