My thoughts on Edelweiss! <3 (Spoilers?)

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby Belzera » October 24th, 2008, 9:55 am

Thats the strange thing though, it seems like people love the game even with the translation issues
Belzera
Addict

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 24th, 2008, 2:00 pm

Well it's a good game, that's why...infact the company that made the game, complained to MangaGamer, I read all about it on a blog, they said they were disappointed with their translation quality and wouldn't allow them to translate any more of their games until Edelweiss was up to their standards.(I hear like 10 patches are in works!)

I don't read many Visual Novel blogs, but I don't think that's been done before...most companies get it translated in the US and just go "Eff it, lets just get money"

You know, cause, it's a secondary audience, and truthfully, America's Visual Novel fans are a minority, we're really lucky they even bother to translate VN's like this.(Can't understand why Nasu never had an official translation done, unless he didn't want the integrity of his work trashed by converting it to another Language, although you guys managed to due it pretty well, I'm sure a standard translation company would of made it alot worse)

I'm glad Fan Translations are available, cause I play some company translated Visual Novels and I see tons of American jokes and stuff that just seem so like...that was really in there? I read American Jokes from the 50's and 60's in these things. Fan translations are often better because, unlike a standard translation company, they actually give a damn about the novel itself and understand the culture somewhat and can turn the joke into English, without ruining it.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby abscess » October 24th, 2008, 4:28 pm

Mkilbride wrote:I'm glad Fan Translations are available, cause I play some company translated Visual Novels and I see tons of American jokes and stuff that just seem so like...that was really in there? I read American Jokes from the 50's and 60's in these things. Fan translations are often better because, unlike a standard translation company, they actually give a damn about the novel itself and understand the culture somewhat and can turn the joke into English, without ruining it.

Yeahp, I agree. I won't be touching Edelweiss because of the infamous translation. I'd very much rather wait some time than play a mangled thing, unless I was only thinking "OMG! Bewbies! I want sum!", but I somehow doubt that's the case with this game...
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Belzera » October 24th, 2008, 9:05 pm

Well I'm sureabscess any one of us who have played it will let you know when its ready for you then :D
Belzera
Addict

Unread postby abscess » October 25th, 2008, 3:16 am

Belzera wrote:Well I'm sureabscess any one of us who have played it will let you know when its ready for you then :D

lol I somehow doubt that will also happen, but thanks for the thought.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Re: My thoughts on Edelweiss! <3 (Spoilers?)

Unread postby TakaJun » October 26th, 2008, 3:37 am

inferno_flamex wrote:Yeah.. There's some things that bugs me...

A) Ehem.. This game is GREAT! I just finished a route after getting it from Mangagamer... So im wondering why is there no discussion thread about this game in this forum? I mean.. COME ON! Even Taka has given this game a friggin 9/10!... I repeat... 9/10!!!... So its either that or I might have missed it somewhere...

B) Hmm... Since i tried this game only because i vaguely remembered Taka saying it was good and whatnot during translation of UBW, when i looked it up on VNDB.org... It is only later that i noticed afew difference since i came back and reread his previous post...

So question (To Taka or anyone that knows): From the looks of it... I cannot get into Rin's route, but Taka's post specifically said that she chose Rin's route first... So i guess.. Is Edelweiss Fantasia a sort of F/HA version of this Edelweiss? Its funny, wikipedia does not seem to have information on EITHER of these games...

Hmm.. Yeah... My thoughts on Edelweiss.. Its 8/10...
Okay..
Leaving the lack of Ecchi scenes per girl, mostly its because i really think there are no Rin or Sakura routes in THIS Edelweiss. So a point was taken off its overall score. It was too bad... Or it could be up there with Snow Sakura, tied as firsts... Comedic elements were aplenty. And i laughed so hard that even while playing it behind closed doors, my family in the living room could hear me.. XDDDDD

Seriously, this game reminded me of Green Green TV... There are even the 'baka-trio' as your 'buddies'... Very very fun game... Im glad i got it...

I personally liked the game because of the comedy and the interaction between people. It got 9/10 because it got bonus points for being made by Overdrive and having milktub do the vocal songs.
I haven't played the English version, so I got to enjoy the game without worrying about the aweful translations.

Yeah, you can only beat Rin and Sakura in the fandisc.
And it's natural that this reminds you of Greengreen, because it's made by the same people.

Now, what I don't get is why no one is talking about the songs in this game...
They were the best things about this game!
I personally love Ashberry and Hareta hi no gogo ni
TakaJun

Unread postby metal_cocoabo » October 26th, 2008, 7:00 am

TakaJun wrote:Now, what I don't get is why no one is talking about the songs in this game...
They were the best things about this game!
I personally love Ashberry and Hareta hi no gogo ni

Don't forget ALOUND THE WORLD... Yeah, that's one of the nice things about the game though finding the OSTs sure is hard. Anyone know how to copy the songs from the jukebox to your PC? I'm seriously considering just holding a microphone to the speakers just so I can get it on my player. :lol:

Oh, and for those who finished the game: Is there a finale route after finishing the other routes? I just can't help but feel that there are still unexplained things in the story...
metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Previous

Return to General Chat