My thoughts on Edelweiss! <3 (Spoilers?)

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Unread postby inferno_flamex » October 21st, 2008, 12:08 am

Mkilbride wrote:Thank you. That's all the routes? Seriously? But I see little Circles of pictures for the other girls like Rin and Sakura...Hell, I even HEARD there were Routes for them..?! I am teh outraged if there isn't one.

Wait.. WHAT!?
No way!!...

Anyway... I think you're confusing the game with Edelweiss Eiden Fantasia...
Like i said before... I doubt this one has Rin or Sakura in it... (Rin and Sakura... Hmm.. I was reminded of FSN for abit there...)

Edelweiss Fantasia could be a 'special' re-released version that only the japanese could get... or a continuation of one of the routes...

@Atriel..
Yeah... My bad then... I guess the biggest 'mind rape' is that...
From now on... I think i might get a LITTLE traumatised when i see a girl's red undies... ROFL! XDDDD
"When a petanko hugs you, she's hugging closer to her heart"...
~:~:~
"There is no greater love, between a boy and his pillow"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ_FT_c3IiQ
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atriel » October 21st, 2008, 2:11 am

What?!?! HOW!?!?

Red undies are the shit, even more if they are white and red stripped ones. *Memories* Now i'm drooling.
Atriel
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Shikiller » October 21st, 2008, 2:23 am

HAHAHAHAHAHAH OH WOW!

Shikiller
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 21st, 2008, 8:56 am

Mm. I've come to find your friends have no redeeming qualities. They claim to be romantic and good guys at hearts, but all of your friends have practically tried to rape girls who where crying and the only reason they stopped, was because someone intervened. They also seem to make you do stupid stuff that you normally are against. I honestly don't like them, Appo especially for what he does later on. Pierre, maybe he has a chance, but Daigo got so excited because a girl shook his hands he raped the first girl he saw(They became a couple afterwords, but STILL! That's so messed up!)

Despite being in relationships, they constantly look for chances to sleep with other woman.

The only thing to make up for this fact is that they all end up with horribly ugly woman. (Whom they claim to love oh so much)

Yet it seems the main char doesn't even bother chasing woman if his friends aren't around(Peer Pressure, kind of thing?)

Not to mention, from what we see of the main char, he SHOULD be popular with ladies, but then you look at his friends. A fat and stupid one, a giant and smart, but rapist one, and one who tries to hard to look cool and fails. His friends are holding him back. You notice that when he's partnered with anyone else in the game for short periods of time, he excels at doing anything really, but when he does something with his friends, he usually fails horribly and ends up in a bad situation.

His friends are idiot rapists, who get him into trouble. Try to find redeeming qualities.

Natsume is my favorite character so far, she's actually interesting and cute, I usually don't like the "Loli", char, but I find her to be the only one who doesn't act like a complete retard in the game.

He's just messing with you, Atriel, but if you really like them so much, a part of this game you will dislike very much is near the start.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby metal_cocoabo » October 21st, 2008, 9:33 am

Tried it. Mkilbride is right, Kazushi's friends are real dicks. It annoyed me to the point that I skipped any scene that had them in it. Still, after finishing my first route (Mei's), I have to admit the game was nice. The retarded translation held it back, but it still has it's moments. (Though said moments are often ruined by the shitty translation; though near the end of Mei's route, the translation is decent) I'd say it's a 6/10, probably 8/10 if they got a good translation.
metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 21st, 2008, 10:20 am

I'm also noticing some strangely Kagestu Tohya music in the Haruka route...I mean, I just opened KT up and compared them and its almost the same BGM. Those bastards, my entire feeling for this route was because the music made me think KT.

Also, anyone else think Panchu may not be a real person, but some kind of deity? Spiritual figure? Mystical being? I don't know...he's never seen usually, and just randomly appears at moments where it'd be impossible for him to be. I know he's supposed to be the generic bad ass(and Kuwabara clone), but I think he may not be human.

Haruka's route...beautiful...just beautiful...although some parts were iffy. I don't really know what to think, it was good ,but feels abit like they just wanted to cheese out on a happy ending.
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby metal_cocoabo » October 21st, 2008, 4:37 pm

metal_cocoabo wrote:Kazushi's friends are real dicks. It annoyed me to the point that I skipped any scene that had them in it. Still, after finishing my first route (Mei's), I have to admit the game was nice. The retarded translation held it back, but it still has it's moments. (Though said moments are often ruined by the shitty translation; though near the end of Mei's route, the translation is decent)

My bad. After playing Mizuki's route from the very beginning, I got a newfound respect for the game. While Kazushi's friends really are sex-crazed idiots, each antic of theirs made me lol and facepalm. I kind of see why inferno recommended the game. The game is good... It came to the point that I barely noticed the crappy translation as the plot flowed freely. Story-wise, it's nothing that original but nevertheless, each route draws you in with its different conflicts and finales. Note: YMMV.

@Mkilbride: Panchu's definitely bad-ass but a deity? Haven't completed the game yet, but from what I saw, he's still human.
Though you never know what might end up happening. The subtle hints for Kazushi indicating a hidden past haven't been resolved yet. So, it might not be a stretch to say that Panchu may be something else.
metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 21st, 2008, 9:39 pm

I've got two endings so far...I know he can bleed, but it's just weird!

We only see him in the intro, and after that he only shows up at places where the game would end if he didn't? It could just be a poorly written plot, but I think it means something more. I'll have to complete all routes first.(and if the expansion pack of it gets translated.)

To further my idea, he infact shows up and stops Kazu from killing himself(in Haru route), now, it may not sound to weird, but...the room was locked and he wasn't letting anyone in(This was stressed, and no mention of the door being broken down was mentioned)

He also shows up before they leave the Island in the Prologue.(and stops them from even trying again)

I also hope the other routes explore Yagami and Panchu more. They both seem to have strange pasts and powers that make me question the hell exactly are they? His other friends, as you said, do have moments when you respect them, but in the next scene, they're already back to being guys you'd never wanna associate themselves. I don't usually believe in "Losers", because most people just use it to define people who they don't like or understand, but his friends are true losers)
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby metal_cocoabo » October 22nd, 2008, 2:33 am

Panchu doesn't get any special treatment in Ran's, Mei's and Mizuki's routes though. Time to do the other routes then.
metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread postby inferno_flamex » October 22nd, 2008, 11:43 am

Panchu is a guardian angel! XDDDDD

No.. I dont mean that seriously guys...
Plus... He has a 'thing' for bread... And despite his looks, i think that he is actaully a GOOD guy!

The way he talks aside... it is strange that he has no 'definite' friends... He's only a senpai for the guys. I mean... this guy is cool.
Its like, he's the guy you'd trust your life with in the middle of a battle. And if so.. Why is he such a loner!? Surely!

Dont tell me he has an ability like Ceil-senpai! Here one day... Gone and forgotten the next!

@mkilbride
You forget the scene where they almost gave up fixing the white flowerbed... Then Panchu-san came and knocked some sense into them... Considering that he has never been there before... The flowerbed location i mean...

@Metal
Mei's route is the only one i have not completed yet...
And if you're sure that Mei's route does not give any definite answers about Panchu... Then i guess we wont be able to know 'what' he is exactly...

Personal thoughts regarding Panchu-san including spoilers...
Honestly... I think that panchu COULD have something to do with the special stone that we kept on hearing about... I mean... Kazu is the main character, and from playing Haru's route.. I kinda get the feeling that he is 'special', at least in terms of Alchemy... It is like him being.. 'THE ONE'... or something...

I guess what im saying is that.. Panchu seems to have a 'sixth sense' about anything on the island... THe thing is, he doesnt seem to be there when Kazu wants/need him to...

But instead.. He always appeared when Kazu was about to go 'astray'... The more i think about it... The more it seemed that he is like a spirit given form!

inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby metal_cocoabo » October 22nd, 2008, 12:49 pm

Just finished all five routes. I'm looking at the CGs and there are a LOT missing. Any idea on how to unlock them? It's utterly vexing not having an idea if I completed the game or not. T_T

I realized how GAR Panchu and Yagami-sensei were after finishing their "route."
Yagami: "Becoming a man isn't about putting your dick in a hole. It's about bettering yourself to become worthy of the girl of your dreams." (edited to make more sense)

@inferno: Now that I think about it, Panchu really does pop out in the right place at the right time...
inferno wrote:I think that panchu COULD have something to do with the special stone that we kept on hearing about...

Well, Seibe did say something about being able to contact those who are near-death. So, theoritically, Pancho could have had a near-death experience on the island, which Seibe used to communicate with him. Alternatively, it could be that Panchu's soul is so pure that Seibe can communicate with him continuously. Since Seibe did know the future and the past through the stone's power, he could have told Panchu what to do.

Of course, Panchu can be a total stranger to the island who just happened on the stone by accident.

inferno wrote:He always appeared when Kazu was about to go 'astray'...

Then again, he could just be so awesome as to detect the prescence of weaklings/
metal_cocoabo
Crack Addic!

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 22nd, 2008, 2:01 pm

Yes, the FLOWER bed, that's ANOTHER ONE! Getting there is next to impossible without a guide, and he just shows up right then? I don't think he was hiding in the bushes...

Like you said, he just "appears", when the main char is going astray and pulls a Kuwabara.

I don't think the writers actually intended us to think of Panchu in such a way, but I think it's pretty cool.(I'm sure it was just some shoddy writing and not wanting to explain stuff), but it ends up with lots of questions about Panchu's true nature.

We know this.

1.He speaks weird, can bake, and loves bread.

2. Everyone who meets him, respects and admires him?

3. He appears in moments where it'd be impossible for him to be...

4. Mr.Yagami has a past with him and they respect each other...

5. Mr.Yagami's punchs can move a roughly 500 pound boy off his feet and send him flying(and he says he's holding back, significantly)

These two chars have very strange pasts(That says alot in a game like this, and Visual Novels in general)
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Belzera » October 22nd, 2008, 5:29 pm

So Far I've completed all but Haruka's and I've gotten all of the CG's so far [yet to meet a bad end lol, unlike in Tsukihime after five minutes]

And the first two routes I did where Mizuki's and Mei's, god I hated the ending for Mizuki, although I really enjoyed Mei's

Spoilers for Mei's and Mizuki's routes
Mizuki:
She only gets 15 minutes with her legs working again at the end and it leaves it there.

Mei:
Dies but is reborn again as a Human girl with the name Harumakun gave her, I luaghed right at the end when she introduces herself to Haruma-sensei since I understood why she said it was cheating. Kinda like to think they got together, whether or not Saki remembers him, although her comments to him kinda made me think she at least knows something

Rans and Natsumes where okay, although there was one scene in Nastumes that reallly surprised me and if you've played it you'll know it. Rans route well was really nice at times [the bit before the first H-Scene with her was cute]

and I've read the spoilers for Haruka's route and its kinda made me glad that I left it for last.

The translation isn't too bad to be honest for the company becuase it was created by Japanese people, not english people [I could be wrong, but I read this from the thread I found out about Mangagamer, I checked up on them cos I thought it was illegal] so the TRanslation isn't too bad considering plus they are correcting them slowly, I saw some of the beta stuff from them and Looking at the copy of this game I can see its alot better and Its not like you have to re-buy it each time, you just re-download it.

As for Panchu- god I love that guy, his lack of devolpment is annoying but I know he is a student since he really respects Yagami-sensei, its just that he is a senior so obviously we see less of him and at least he is memorable [I keep on mixing up Rin and Sakura for example],

Also do any of the other Routes aside from Mei's have an epilogue after the Credits?
Belzera
Addict

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 22nd, 2008, 5:53 pm

I loved Natsumes, but I'm not to sure which moment you mean, there were a FEW that were shockage.

Ran's route had me lol'ing so much.

The GAME was translated by Manga Gamer, which is a Brazil company, translating Japanese into English...so they need to know three languages...

I translated a game VIA Atlas yesterday and it had about the same quality as Edelwiess...so they're pretty close to a machine translation, you know.

Translation ruins some scenes, makes some...better than they'd probably be. Overall, a great game. Worth spending time on, horrible H-Scenes mostly though(Ran lost her appeal after she became a hooker though)

My biggest complaint would be, despite this being an "Eroge", I'd like to see more classy games like Type-Moons work, you know? Make the sex not happen waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy until the end of the game and don't make it seem so superficial / forced.(I know, I know, it's an Eroge, but geeze, it had a actual story going for it and I was hoping it'd turn out abit better, content wise)
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Belzera » October 22nd, 2008, 11:29 pm

I enjoyed the Stories, sex was just a perk in the end. And the Ran thing, I found it amusing it was a core part of her personality

As for Natsume
When she kills everyone, Hell the CG of Appo getting Decapitated was the biggest shock, I wasn't expecting it at all especially that she had killed everyone else, although you do learn it was to save them, but at the time

At the moment I'm trying to figure out Harumakun properly, as there is something really strange about him in general, I think I understand it after completeing Natsumes route though

To be honest bad spelling doesn't bother me too much as long as I can understand it, ie "lilly" "comming" and I am aware they are actually suppost to be fixing it and improving it [I agree that proof readers need shooting]

Also favourites routes so far [fav to least fav]

Mei [The Epilogue made this my favourite, otherwise it would have been at the bottom]
Natsume [Liked the story overall and explained a lot of things to me]
Ran [Amused at the 'hooker scenes']
Mizuki [Ending spoilt it for me]

and I'm starting the Haruka route now
Belzera
Addict

Unread postby inferno_flamex » October 23rd, 2008, 2:14 am

@Balzera...

Natsume's route?
Hmm.. the only 'shocking' thing i can think of is...

Night-time... Principal... Labroom... Haruka... and Kazu... oh.. and a knife...

Is that the scene you were refering to?

Because i played Natsume's route pretty late in the game... So i kinda suspect the things about her quite early on during her route.. So that scene was not that much of a shock to me....

PS...

Ehem... I just replayed the game from the beginning once again, and not from the first decision split... And i just wanna quote someone.. or rather.. SOMETHING...

Signboard: "*PARKING!! PARKING!! PARKING!!!".... (Fine! Fine! FINE!!)

*Im SURE that's not how its supposed to be spelt..

LOLOLOLOL!!!!
inferno_flamex
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Belzera » October 23rd, 2008, 1:15 pm

Nah, the Scene in the 'dream' world just before she goes to kill Harumakun with the Katana, I found that shocking especailly becuase she Decapitates Appo infront of your eyes

Also concerning Panchu and Haruka's route, the door wasn't locked, he unlocked it when Appo, Pierre and Diago came to talk to him but left it unlocked since the girls just walk in after knocking on the door and after that people kept brining him food
Belzera
Addict

Unread postby Mkilbride » October 23rd, 2008, 1:26 pm

Yes, you'd think that, but later on someone mentions him coming out of that "locked room" I dunno.

Regardless if it was locked or not, Panchu had ignored him the entire game up until that point. So it still stands to reason that it's weird timing.

I think in the next Video Game I play, I may name myself Panchu in his honor. :P
Mkilbride
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Belzera » October 23rd, 2008, 2:08 pm

Panchu is just a very caring guy who looks out for people he knows
Belzera
Addict

Unread postby X-Calibar » October 24th, 2008, 4:44 am

Decided to go ahead and try my luck with MangaGamer by getting Edelweiss due to this thread among other things...
And I have to say it seems like a pretty good game :D From what I can glean, characters are pretty funny, musics okay, great art... Nice price too. [although I'm seriously bothered by the DRM mess, but doesn't affect me till the distant future when they quit]

I'm enjoying the game, now that I mostly got past my disgust for his friends lol They aren't so bad once you get to know them...
Well I mean I THINK they aren't all bad.

The game is definitely worth picking up so far [if you are looking for a new humorous VN]. However...
I really, really cannot stand the translation. The character says 15 to 20 words and the translated text will be like "There's no problem." ......... or the character says something shockinly rude [more than usual] and the characters don't seem to mind. Makes me really want to work on my japanese, when I wonder what I'm missing out on. I get the impression a lot of text is summarized rather than translating jokes, puns, the works... Some comments are really funny, and parts are really dry where I think it MIGHT be really funny from character reactions.
As for the sad grammar/spelling/word mistakes [I'm so board]; I wishhhhh it was open for everyone to edit, I'd just do it on the fly while playing the game and fix it. *Sigh*

So bottomline, cool fun game. Sad translation in places, but easy to understand, I guess. Makes you wish you knew japanese :P

will I buy another MangaGamer game...? Probably not, till the translation quality is professional. Though I'd love to get Da Capo and that other one...
EDIT: The more I play though.... even if I say the translation is lacking, the game is not :O
So... maybe I can give MangaGamer another chance...
X-Calibar
Crack Desu!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat