Okami PS2: Beating Kai

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Okami PS2: Beating Kai

Unread postby ServantRider » October 3rd, 2008, 3:07 pm

Alright, sorry, but I gotta post another call for help here. Here's the deal. I'm determined to collect all the Stray Beads before moving on to the Ark of Yamato (AKA the Point of No Return). I've collected 99 of them and the last one eludes me, meaning the one I gotta race Kai to get. And yet there's so many obstacles in Yoshpet that I can't beat her even when I take the lead! Even though I went through all the trouble of going through the damn forest and Blooming every cursed tree I came across. The main issue is the obstacles that turn you into ice, especially the snow boulders and icicles that are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to avoid. And the timer's still running too, even in Draw Mode, which almost entirely rules out the possibility of using my Brush Techniques, and at the same time, I can't exactly gather the stopwatches because that tends to help her gain the lead too. Please, can someone, ANYONE, give me pointers on how to beat her, or at least improve my chances of winning without running smack dab into an obstacle?

PS: Has anyone notices that almost all the races you even participate in are HIGHLY rigged to make winning extremely hard?

ServantRider
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » October 3rd, 2008, 3:12 pm

Last bead is for completing the game. I think you mean 98 beads. Also you could have just used the previous thread ...

Also for Kai learn the route and its shortcuts. You dont even need to focus on the stopwatches. Just take the shortest path you can. Kai will always take the longest path possible. Its really pretty easy ... other than the iceballs :P
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Henduluin » October 3rd, 2008, 3:16 pm

Actually, beating Kai *does* give you a bead... so I'm guessing he already counted the bead for beating the game?

But yeah, that race is seriously rigged. On more than one occasion I was at least 50 meters away from her, only to have her pass me once I entered the last area.
Just memorize where the icicles fall, the snowballs come down from and take every single shortcut. Shouldn't be that hard once you've got that down. (Don't bother with the stopwatches out of your path, you won't need them if you do it right.)

Oh and, abuse dashing. Once you enter a new area, immediately dash and start running. This saves a lot of time as you're almost back at full speed immediately.

Awesome drawing btw.
Last edited by Henduluin on October 3rd, 2008, 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The meaning of life is to give life meaning.
Henduluin
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ServantRider » October 3rd, 2008, 3:16 pm

drizzt_rocks wrote:Last bead is for completing the game. I think you mean 98 beads. Also you could have just used the previous thread ...

Also for Kai learn the route and its shortcuts. Its really pretty easy ... other than the iceballs :P

No I don't. I already got that one as this is my third time going through the game. So that gives me 99.
ServantRider
Into 17 Pieces

Unread postby drizzt_rocks » October 3rd, 2008, 3:28 pm

Heh ok then. I just got confused by you saying you wanted to do it before going into the last area. I thought you were a perfectionist like me who had to get every fish, pottery, beads, etc before finishing the game even once :P

Just remember you dont have to follow the path ... you can cut alot of time by going straight from one side to the other rather than follow the curving path. It took me like 3 times to perfect it so just keep going and memorise the path and you will be fine.
And the cutest anime character award goes to ... PINO
drizzt_rocks
Crack Desu!

Unread postby ServantRider » October 3rd, 2008, 4:05 pm

Yes! Thanks everyone. Thanks to your advice, and my incredible persistence (AKA being so absolutely stubborn that I don't give up until I win), I managed to finally beat her by a landslide (Even though amazingly I hit some icicles and stuff near the end), and beat her. I'm never doing that one again. c.c This makes my 100th Stray Bead. As a thank you present, another Ammy pic I got off DA.

ServantRider
Into 17 Pieces

Re: Okami PS2: Beating Kai

Unread postby Reilly111 » May 5th, 2014, 11:40 am

I was having this same problem and I have an additional tip. Don't have the water tablet equipped. It seems to make you lose traction. Hope this helps.
Reilly111
Totally hardly posted

Return to General Chat