Technical issue with applocale

Chat that's general in nature. (Stuff that doesn't belong in any other forum.)

Moderator: Staffers

Technical issue with applocale

Unread postby Atvaark » August 15th, 2008, 10:23 pm

i was playing melty blood act cadenza yesterday when the game crashed on me. that happens once in a while so i didn't pay any attention to that, but ever since then, when i try to play an mkv file (anime) it opens up applocale instead of wmp...i can just right click and then choose windows media player to open it instead, but it refuses to save that setting and always opens up those files with applocale if i just double click em. i couldn't find any help about that browsing Google, and reinstalling applocale or my video codecs (cccp) doesn't help either. anyone had a similar issue? if so, how did you solve that?
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Sepheriel » August 16th, 2008, 2:24 am

I have not used AppLocale with any release of Melty Blood or any such release from mirror moon and I have had no problems. You have to change the file association in folder options to whatever program you want the .mkv files to open with.
Sepheriel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Atvaark » August 16th, 2008, 5:00 pm

i know. the problem is it doesn't work. no matter how many times i set it to wmp, it reverts back to applocale.
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Ciel » August 17th, 2008, 10:46 am

i suggest getting a better player such as media player classic, it should be able to keep its own extensions, not to mention it's not such a resource hog as wmp. :P
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » August 18th, 2008, 4:13 pm

Hopefully this will help:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ediwjv8unps
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Atvaark » August 18th, 2008, 9:46 pm

Ciel, when you have a machine as strong as mine, resources aren't an issue. plus my bluetooth remote doesn't work with media classic. that's my biggest gripe....but anyway, Einherjar, thanks a lot for that little thing. unfortunately it only works with windows vista.
so my problem still persists...
i uninstalled applocale, reinstalled it along with a forced reinstall of wmp. still sucks
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby DarkRedSky » August 18th, 2008, 10:04 pm

Atvaark wrote:Ciel, when you have a machine as strong as mine, resources aren't an issue. plus my bluetooth remote doesn't work with media classic. that's my biggest gripe....but anyway, Einherjar, thanks a lot for that little thing. unfortunately it only works with windows vista.
i uninstalled applocale, reinstalled it along with a forced reinstall of wmp. still sucks

What kind of PC do you have. How strong, lol I'm curious.
DarkRedSky
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » August 19th, 2008, 3:05 pm

Atvaark wrote:Ciel, when you have a machine as strong as mine, resources aren't an issue. plus my bluetooth remote doesn't work with media classic. that's my biggest gripe....but anyway, Einherjar, thanks a lot for that little thing. unfortunately it only works with windows vista.

Ah, that's too bad. >_>
Why don't you try regedit?
P.S. I love wmp.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Ciel » August 20th, 2008, 11:13 am

Ciel, when you have a machine as strong as mine, resources aren't an issue. plus my bluetooth remote doesn't work with media classic. that's my biggest gripe....

i meant system resources, not hardware. windows will slow down/fail no matter how much ram you have if the program you use is bloatware like wmp, coded to look pretty instead of working fast or correct.

my pc's kind of old (amd sempron 3000+, 2 gb ram, 700+ gb hdd), but that's more than enough for everything to work fine as long as it's programmed by a competent coder, something that i can't say about microsoft.
Ciel
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » August 20th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Ciel wrote:
Ciel, when you have a machine as strong as mine, resources aren't an issue. plus my bluetooth remote doesn't work with media classic. that's my biggest gripe....

i meant system resources, not hardware. windows will slow down/fail no matter how much ram you have if the program you use is bloatware like wmp, coded to look pretty instead of working fast or correct.

Well, I run my pc 12 hours a day (I turn off my pc everyday) and it hasn't been a issue yet, so I don't really care about it much. I fact, It never even happened to my old pc (Pentium4 1.6ghz 512 ram 40Gb HDD) I guess it'll run out of system resources if keep it running forever...
And the reason I like wmp because it's surprising convenient. wmp is really fast on my new pc (which is a laptop, btw) and there's absolutely no lag whatsoever. So I can say it's suited for me.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Atvaark » August 21st, 2008, 8:04 pm

well...it's an asus c90s laptop with an intel core 2 duo conroe 2.93 Ghz. it's not the mobile version but the desktop version of the processor. i managed to snatch a geforce 8600m gt 512mb ddr3, i have 3 gigz of 633 ram and a 320 gig hd...
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » August 21st, 2008, 8:19 pm

Atvaark wrote:well...it's an asus c90s laptop with an intel core 2 duo conroe 2.93 Ghz. it's not the mobile version but the desktop version of the processor. i managed to snatch a geforce 8600m gt 512mb ddr3, i have 3 gigz of 633 ram and a 320 gig hd...

Hey, same here. Other than that my CPU's weaker...
And I have no problem running wmp 12 hours (and I was websurfing with FireFox, downloading, and even playing DMC4 too) on vista.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Catastrophe » August 21st, 2008, 9:32 pm

^ you dont know how much I hate you gus -.-

"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Einherjar » August 21st, 2008, 11:08 pm

Catastrophe wrote:^ you dont know how much I hate you gus -.-

Ah be quiet, I was using my 1.6ghz Geforce2 mx400 512 ram for 5 YEARS. The laptop just came recently. (With my mom slowing down the pc with all those Chinese Adware, it was HELL)
Even that has no problem with wmp.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Catastrophe » August 22nd, 2008, 2:15 am

Einherjar wrote:
Catastrophe wrote:^ you dont know how much I hate you gus -.-

Ah be quiet, I was using my 1.6ghz Geforce2 mx400 512 ram for 5 YEARS. The laptop just came recently. (With my mom slowing down the pc with all those Chinese Adware, it was HELL)
Even that has no problem with wmp.
well, i used my 1.7 ghz, VANTA(pre-Gforce), 512 ram til last year...... (had no adware though :roll: )

so that piece of utter crap was what made me love media player classic....
"We want a game that's going to chop us the second we screw around, or just flatten us at its whim... until we finally beat it. They demand more of us, and we rise to the occasion because we're that good. And that feels good. And that's why we game."
Rus McLaughlin, IGN
Catastrophe
DESU DESU!

Unread postby Atvaark » August 22nd, 2008, 11:32 am

this thread seems to have turned out into a "muscle comparison" except it's who's had the shitiest machine instead of the strongest now....weird, huh? well, at least try to stay a little on topic. i don't want this to get locked without a solution to my problem.

as for shitty machines, 4 years ago before i got decent machines, i used to run on a celeron 400Mhz with 128 mb ram and an ati rage pro 8mb ram..and a whoopin 1.6g hd with windows ME.
before that was an old 286 with DOS 6.22. i win. now back to topic.

still haven't found a solution. i uninstalled all my codecs, applocale wiped all the necessary file associations, reinstalled codecs and now even if i specify it to start with wmp, it asks each time what to use. and yes, i checked the always use this program box. i dont wanna reinstall windows for such a little thing...as a temporary solution i started using Media Portal, wich is a media center clone that works on xp. my remote works with it but it's a pain to configure, since most codecs require you to activate a movie post processing object, and there's dozens. as an example, mkv files wont show subs unless you activate the direct vobsub (autoloading version). and in doing so, it wont read regular avi's anymore....turns out you have to find a non autoloading version to make it work and activate the subs manually in the video. a pain, but once you get the hang of it rather good. anyways. i just want wmp to work with mkvs again...
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Unread postby Einherjar » August 22nd, 2008, 1:43 pm

Did you change the file association directly from the file (open as... etc) or from folder options?
If so, have you tried something like this?
http://www.computing.net/answers/window ... 57844.html
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby abscess » August 22nd, 2008, 7:30 pm

Sadly, the only way I can think of getting rid of that problem is deleting f*cking everything, that is, formatting your HD. From the little things I know of PCs, it may be a problem with something in the OS that affects the file association, it may be even a graver problem that you haven't noticed.

Edit:
Oh wait.... I remembered something...! (that happens very rarely, believe it)
There is this site that you may not have known about, but it's kind of "popular", I guess. it's http://www.allexperts.com
There are a bunch of people that offer their aid to other people who happen to have questions about almost any topic, from religion, to science topics, coursing through entertainment, cars, and even video games (yes, there is a computer stuff there too). I've asked two times the guys there to help me in something, the first time they didn't help much, but the second time they did help me a lot (otherwise I couldn't have downgraded from shitty Vista to less shitty XP). A simple advise woud be to ask more than one person on that matter, 2 or 3 persons are a good enough number I guess. Hope that helps.
"I settled for that shriek. Those dull vacant eyes... oiled cabbage stench of her...! [...] You know what? I'm sorry if I'm not gonna do this the way you want me to or the way you might. But I will not make an angel out of someone who wasn't an angel...!" -Chief Tyrol, on his beloved wife.
Have you heard about the saying that goes something like "drunk people and kids tell no lies"? Well, that's just a fallacy.
abscess
I can haz postingz nao? K thx

Unread postby Einherjar » August 22nd, 2008, 10:28 pm

it HAS to be the registry.
Einherjar
OMEGA DESU!

Unread postby Atvaark » August 24th, 2008, 7:29 pm

no way....i tried every solution in there...besides reformatting my hd of course.....and NOTHING worked! i still have the same problem! i guess i will have to reformat. i even tried erasing the whole file extension part in the registry and replacing it with another pc's registry string...nothing! well, i did create a few more problems, which were all easily solved....but the main problem remains. maybe i should just give up and reformat....i just hate doing that since it always take forever on this laptop...upgrading every little driver is annoying, especially since you have to install them in a certain order for them to work...if you install the chip set drivers first, you wont be able to install anything else. which is weird. they have to be installed last.
Atvaark
Crack Desu!

Return to General Chat